The King of Hate Forums
OCGRafael

What are some games with very satisfying combat mechanics?

I think everybody already knows about Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, and God of War, but aside from those particular series, what are some games that had good solid combat mechanics that were fun to mess around with?

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs recently and I'm really loving the hand-to-hand combat in that game. It's not as wild as Bayonetta but it's still very fun to play with. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within was another game with great combat but is usually overlooked when people talk about best action games

I was pleasantly surprised by a game in 2014. Shadow of Mordor :) Took the best from Batman and Assassin's and made it its own. 

Really great combat mechanics in that game. A real treat! :)

Talion.jpg

Uncharted 3 had a pretty good one (although it did borrow quite a lot from Arkham).

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1525/15257558/2525715-2141456454-index.php

Hell now that I think about it, The Last of Us combat was pretty brutal specially when finish your enemies near an object or wall. It felt good.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/9/2013/06/brutal.gif

I have to say:

Bully: Oh this game is just fantastic with combat and if you loved Sleeping Dogs combat you will really love this combat as a lot of things are the same except to be honest, the way Bully's looks is a lot smoother and just feels real, but Sleeping Dogs combat is still kick ass!

Batman Arkham games: I love the combat in these games although, the way it looks with the physics and hit reactions is just hilarious as sometimes it can look quite unrealistic how the guys go down.

Saints Row 2-IV: Now first I have to point out that while Saints Row 2 stole the whole different fighting styles from San Andreas, it looked a lot better, but still pretty stiff. Now Saints Row The Third and IV had just action packed and clean looking combat that was fun as hell to use and I found myself using hand to hand more than anything.

Metal gear Rising : Revengeance

Oh my lord that game has fantastic combat, you can do tons of cool combos and you can do precision-cuts on enemies and you can parry and oh man, ooooh man I love that game and its combat. Kickass finishing moves and parrying and just good satisfying hits when slicing stuff up.

Also once you master parrying you can do crazy cool shit like reducing a boss to 1% HP with one attack which is just awesome because it means that there's a reason to try to master the combat system and the essential mechanics. 

As far as hand to hand combat goes, I really think UFC that came out on the PS4 was phenomenal! 

Very underrated game in my opinion, with extraordinary conrtols once you get the hang of it. Great fighting control mechanics! 

Once you get the TKO in round 5... very satisfying indeed :)

Combat? I'd definitely say, Virtua Fighter by a longshot.

It has combat mechanics, and even an interactive combat system in that game, that the other 3d fighting games, still haven't done, or done properly, even up to this day.

It has proper dodging mechanics, side hitting, the ability to even run under opponents attacks, moves that hit in certain directions, block breaking, and the list keeps going on and on etc.

Katsuhiro Harada didn't lie, when he said that Virtua Fighter, was a huge inspiration for leading the way, of 3d fighting games, even up to this day. And everyone is still playing catch up.

I'm really super curious to see, what new real life interactive combat mechanics, and fighting styles they'll implement, in the next installment.

Edited by musicboy
  • Upvote 1