The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Returning to Twitch? Thoughts and Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Happy to see a variety of people engaged and participating in the discussion. It's been a long time since we've actually had a positive thread around here!

FYI, I've now officially requested to have my account reactivated. I have no idea what the process is after this initial request, or how long it will take, so I guess we'll see.

Hopefully the channel is back before Final Fantasy XV comes out. Playing it on Twitch on release day could give you a nice boost in viewers.

Edit: Welp nvm, I guess the channel is back already? That was quick. :huh:

Edited by Slurmdrinker

3 hours ago, CIA said:

If a stream viewer watches the whole stream, and then all the videos, then that's an argument FOR streaming. I assume you meant that the stream viewer will not watch the videos as he has already seen it.

If the revenue on twitch is the same as on youtube, then moving is not pointless, because again, you're disregarding the growth that twitch provides you as a platform right now. This is especially true in Phil's case; he plays every new game and can maximize the new viewers he gets from each of the launch day streams when people are browsing for those games.

Yes that's what I meant. It's clear that streaming cuts into profits and don't believe a new audience is enough to fix that because he's still working at a loss.

3 hours ago, BrightSideViking said:

If he intends to not live stream things and still go for the raw unedited style I really don't see the point. 
If he had an excuse not to make an effort polishing his gameplay videos. It was the volume he made and that he was livestreaming all the time. 
I would support him in making less content and making it higher quality. I think in general every sane person would like that. It would make more sense. 
But to put out a ludicrous amount of raw videos, with no interactivity would be a step in the wrong direction.  

I agree completely. I've said before, he shouldn't be afraid to interact with the stream and thank them for subbing.

Just now, OneManJury said:

BTW, since it appears his twitch page is back on, is there more that needs to be done before Phil is officially streaming on Twitch? 

Well according to twitter Phil hasn't been notified that the channel was restored, so there might still be some things that need to be done before it's ready.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I guess people have been sitting on my Twitch page idling to see if it returned. But as of now, I haven't received any formal contact from Twitch at all regarding the reinstating of the channel. The chat still isn't on the channel page, and I don't see any info regarding being able to get subscribers either (I don't see a sub button on the channel).

The good news is, all 30k of my old followers are still intact, AND as of right now, I can am still partnered and can run ads no problem. So all I literally need to do to get going, is to get the chat enabled on the main channel page. I even just re-filled out the payment and tax info so all of that is good to go as of right now.

Again, I haven't heard ANYTHING from Twitch yet. So maybe they'll contact me soon and give me the skinny, we'll see. I have no idea how to get the subscribers option turned on or where it should be showing up, as I haven't used Twitch for 2 years. I know people will want that, as RIGHT NOW people are asking me for emotes in the stream chat....

So I just want to CONFIRM: there's no option to become a subscriber to the DarksydePhil twitch page, correct? Just want to be sure as I can only see from my own profile or logged out, and didn't know if it'd show up in either of those cases. 

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

So I just want to CONFIRM: there's no option to become a subscriber to the DarksydePhil twitch page, correct? Just want to be sure as I can only see from my own profile or logged out, and didn't know if it'd show up in either of those cases. 

Nope, all I see is a green box with a heart that shows I'm following your channel. There should be a sub button to the right of that.

Edited by Slurmdrinker

Okay, thanks. I'll wait a few days and see if Twitch contacts me, if not I'll make a separate log to see if I can get chat enabled on the main channel page and get the sub button back. Weird bc the "subs gained" counter/statistics exist in my account settings, so I'm not actually sure that it was disabled. May have just been removed to prevent people from accidentally subbing to a defunct channel.

Just now, Phil said:

Okay, thanks. I'll wait a few days and see if Twitch contacts me, if not I'll make a separate log to see if I can get chat enabled on the main channel page and get the sub button back. Weird bc the "subs gained" counter/statistics exist in my account settings, so I'm not actually sure that it was disabled. May have just been removed to prevent people from accidentally subbing to a defunct channel.

Yeah, a sub button usually never gets taken away unless Twitch banned you for something serious. Maybe they haven't contacted you because they're working on turning it back on.

Yeah, as I've said numerous times, I wasn't banned at all. It was a voluntary leave and the chat was removed to prevent people from misusing it, but then I just deactivated the channel anyway. The sub button, I'd assume got removed for the same reasons, but I still have the tracking and everything as if I'm able to get subs. So we'll see.

• Upvote 2

The Twitch chat will have to be sub only since the detractor community has increased exponentially since Phil was last on Twitch. When I say detractor community I mean the people that spend their free time re-uploading his videos after editing them in a negative way.

2 hours ago, Tahdel said:

The Twitch chat will have to be sub only since the detractor community has increased exponentially since Phil was last on Twitch. When I say detractor community I mean the people that spend their free time re-uploading his videos after editing them in a negative way.

How many mods do you think there'll be?

Edited by OneManJury

The Twitch chat will have to be sub only since the detractor community has increased exponentially since Phil was last on Twitch. 

So........ pay $5 to use the chat?

May as well just not watch the stream and just wait for the videos to be uploaded then.

When I say detractor community I mean the people that spend their free time re-uploading his videos after editing them in a negative way.

If they are just recording Phil's stream then the chat will literally not affect these people at all.

This is why slow mode exists. There are some other options too. Such as R9K mode, requiring a verified email to chat, and "non-mod chat delay".. It won't be difficult, as long as the channel is configured correctly.

3 hours ago, Tahdel said:

Or, and I think this is a better idea, we could just not give them the attention they want. All of us including Phil. When they do pop up the mods can just ban them and everyone just moves on, don't even address it. They'll get bored and stop doing it. Slow mode will help with this.

• Upvote 1

FYI my chat always required a registered e-mail address to talk in. So that will already be there, and yeah, slow mode also helps.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, tried to update my avatar and header image on there and all it returns is an error. So I think the account is still "locked" to some extent and doesn't allow things to be changed besides just the text on it. I wonder if streaming would even work at this point.

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

FYI my chat always required a registered e-mail address to talk in. So that will already be there, and yeah, slow mode also helps.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, tried to update my avatar and header image on there and all it returns is an error. So I think the account is still "locked" to some extent and doesn't allow things to be changed besides just the text on it. I wonder if streaming would even work at this point.

Why don't you just try a short test stream? 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Testing a stream would probably be your best chance at figuring out what you're allowed to do or not. At least then you'll be able to know where to go from there 

Since I still haven't heard anything officially from Twitch, I just sent them a second request, this one more of a status update to know if/when the missing features will be enabled. I also told them that if all goes well, I'd attempt streaming again on Monday, November 28th (the indies marathon!) so maybe that will give them some incentive to speed things up.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the USA so I don't expect a response from them until possibly the weekend, so we'll see!

Maybe charge $1 for the chat so it deters the usual trolls would be a good idea, so they have to keep registering if they are being pesky and get banned. Can't wait to see you on Twitch DSP!

Edited by Bailey_Dakota