The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 63 - February 2, 2017

Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King here! It's tentatively scheduled for January 26, 2017. Thanks!

Phil, will you be doing any retro play through anytime soon? In November, Nintendo released their small NES consoles and have at least 30 games installed in it. Do you think it will be any possibility that we will see you play any of the old NES games?

Have you ever experienced a presence of an entity, spirit or ghost, like seeing an object moving a few centimeters on its own. Whispers when no one is around. Or seeing shadows out of the corner of your eye for a split second? (Example: Aiden from Beyond: Two Souls)

Edited by Tynal

hey phil

I know that you and John Rambo and other friends from Connecticut have lost in touch and maybe lost friendship.  have you thought about getting back in touch and becoming friends again. Your co op gameplay amazing and your street fighter trips,E3 and conventions and other things you guys went to. I don't know if you know that John rambo and howard made a video talking about you. i know from experience from losing friendship when i moved and lost contact. i know that you are busy and everything with youtube but you really should get into contact.

Hello Phil! 

Since the last episode of Ask the King happened close to Black Friday, would you please give us any interesting stories of Black Friday when you used to work in Best Buy or anywhere else? 

Hi Phil - couple questions, related to your recent changes:

1) With your streaming move to Twitch, and now with two different supporter revenue streams (i.e. Patreon and Twitch subscriptions), could you do a segment on how we might support you best, or alternatively, how fans can get the 'best bang for the buck'?  I know the answer might also depend on what *type* of supporter the person is - for example, I watch your playthroughs on Youtube way more than watch you livestream (due to work - but, I was very lucky to have been 'sick' during your Until Dawn playthroughs - that was great!), but for someone else who primarily watches your livestreams, there may be a different approach/solution to that question.

2) When I just went to look you up on Twitch, I also noticed that it mentioned subscriptions are free with an Amazon Prime account.  This made me wonder - with Youtube Red, and Amazon Prime with Twitch - do you get anything if people subscribe in this manner?  I would hope so, and not that Google and Amazon eat it all up!

Thanks, keep up the great work!

planetjeff

Edited by planetjeff
edited for clarity

Hi Phil, and Happy New Year!
I've been here since only 1 year, but I love your content and I want to see more!
So, my first question is, (and I don't know if it was answered before, if yes, sorry) will you play Ratchet & Clank 3 or Jak 3 in a downtime, or maybe in schedule? I would love to see both playthroughs. My second question is will you ever consider doing NewGame+ playthroughs of R&C or any particular game that you liked.
Thanks for the answer and keep up the great work!

queest347

Hi Phil I am learning to drive & I was wondering if you have any tips or advice about learning to drive or driving in general & maybe you can talk about your story of when you learned how to drive. FYI I live in Europe & we drive on the opposite side of the road to the United States & I'll be driving a manual car but any help or advice would be great. Thanks Phil.

Edited by Stormforcegamer

Hey Phil 

I was wondering what big games that were announced at PSX are you more looking forward to play in 2017. Last of Us part 2, Marvel vs Capcom infinite, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane trilogy, Ni No Kuni 2 or Death Stranding.

Edited by I_Will_Break_You

hey Phil,

i have a couple of questions for youi.

1.I remember when you started on youtube in 2008 and you were using your camera and then in 2012, you switched to direct capture and twitch. have you ever thought about switching back your old camera.

2. back in 2010 you lost a lot of weight after you lost your job. what did you do to lose all that weight and how did you do it. i know that you have back problems and it is hard lift weights and different exercises. and how did you lose the weight without exercises. what was your secret. 

3. i remember when you were living in your old apartment you mentioned that you got DDP yoga and you said that you did not have any room to use it and now that you have a lot more space. i was wondering did you use it and did it help.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for allowing my question to get featured on Ask the King the topic i have for you today is one that is very personal to me i only talk to with a handful of other people in my life and please excuse me if this long i just have a lot to get off my mind.

I am 20 years old i currently live with my parents as of now i am also working part-time thinking about going back to school sometime in the near future but to more pressing matters at hand. Ever since i was a kid growing up my parents never liked me even now they still don't and i have done many things recently to try and please them but it seems they will never be satisfied no matter what i do. I feel like the black sheep of the family the one that gets all the blame for everything and abuse and of course lets not forget about the golden child the one that always has it better in terms of special treatment and that is my older sister.

Growing up i had an older sister one with whom i never got along with we always fought and when we did my mom and my dad would always side with her even at times when she was very much abusive towards me whether it would be her trying to antagonize me or physically trying to hurt me they always came to her defense. This went on for many years and for a long time i felt like miserable, That is until i met an old childhood friend from my past who i just happened to run into back in junior high during one of my classes. Much to my great delight he was also the ideal friend i was looking for for he also went through the same thing as i did all his life. We immediately formed an alliance a common interest among ourselves our own little cliche or circle, over the years we spent together as friends we both grew to understand each others pain and even enduring many hardships i started to feel as if things were going to change for the better.

But as of now due to circumstances that took place over the past year while we were both working part-time i felt our friendship start to deteriorate to become almost like somewhat of a rivalry thus nothing was the same like how it used to be and that's when i realized things had changed for the worst. I started to see him drift away he wouldn't talk to me anymore and basically became the next golden child and i was stuck as the black sheep once again as usual and this time i actually feel guilty because i feel like its all my fault somehow for how things turned out. Because the person who i looked up to and the one who always stood by my side is now against me and it hurts.. what should i do Phil?

~Thanks For Listening~

Edited by AhSham

Hey Phil, I have 3 questions for you to answer. 

- When you were a teenager or a Kid did you have a famous person you would live up to as your hero?

- What is your favourite Ice cream flavour? 

- What was your favourite subjects in elementary school and high school?  

Thank you for answering my questions Phil. - Derich <3 

Edited by Derichpoke14

Oh Hey Phil! I am a viewer of yours for the greater part of 3 years. And I stumbled upon your gaming reviews series known aptly as the Hateful Truth, where you have the motto of "maximum truth, minimum bullsh*t when it comes to the latest gaming releases". Now I'm starting to do my own game reviews known as the Redemption Reviews with the same motto, and as I watched your reviews, you also bash the eff out of the "mainstream gaming media" in which I was very joyed. As a question for Ask the King, how can I review games and "put it into scale"? Thanks and keep it up!

Hi Phil,

If you could use a time machine phone to call yourself 5 years ago, what would you say to your younger self? (could be advice, warnings, opportunities, ect..)

I know its silly to think of what ifs to many people but I find people's answers interesting. 

Hey phil, this is kind of a deep question, so please bear with me. Id appreciate it if you could answer :)

My family has a history of mental illnesses, and I am no different. I have OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which hindered my quality of life all throughout high school until I learned to manage it. I am one of your younger viewers, and I know theres a sort of stigma around mental illnesses in the world and schools across the country, which makes talking about the subject uncomfortable. My question is this: When you were growing up and attending classes, was the same stigma about mental illness there? Have you or a friend had any experience with a form of mental illness, and if so, how did it impact your quality of life or relationship with other people? Thanks, and take care Phil!

• Upvote 1

In Undertale there is a mysterious character named gaster. He is referenced by a few ghost like characters that have a very slim chance at spawning. After people did some digging and theorizing they found bits and peices that uncovered his story. He is still the game's biggest mystery and people are wondering if there's actually an ending associated with him.

My question is what is your opinion on secrets in video games? Have you come across any in your time playing games? What are your thoughts on secrets that are so hidden that it takes an entire community to decode it? Do you feel it is a great way to create engaging side content?

Hi Phil,

Since starting watching you on November I have been trying to catch up with your history and Milestones.

I realized you had an archive channel too and began watching those videos as well.

My question is: what inspired you to make youtube videos? And specifically game related videos? What is the origin story of Darksydephil starting his youtube career?

Bonus: I was curious why do you name your videos Playthroughs and not Let's Plays? Is it personal preference? Or a difference I am missing between the two?

And as usual I wish you luck Phil :) thanks for the videos.

Edited by RichterTryhard