The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 63 - February 2, 2017

Hello Phil,

Since Logan is supposedly Hugh Jackman's last film as Wolverine, who do you think will be able to take over the reigns?  Hugh Jackman has played this character for 17 years and during that time we had different people casted to play Batman, Superman, Spider-man, and the Hulk.  Plus, what are your personal thoughts on Hugh Jackman's 17 year run as the character?

Edited by MDCFAN101
  • Upvote 1

Hi Phil,

I wanted to ask you this question as it seems appropriate at this time considering your situation with everything that's going on with YouTube and your personal finances. In the unfortunate event that you may have to close down or significantly reduce the amount of time you spend on YouTube, will you ever delete your channel and videos for good?! I understand this is a very personal and shitty event but I feel the need to ask because I have so many fond memories of watching you way back when you first started and even to this current day and simply don't want to see them gone. If you remember me telling you, I've been watching you since Far Cry 2, before you even did playthroughs and even remember seeing you post a video thanking everyone for 2000 subscribers in a channel update way back in the day. You have been a part of my entertainment-consumption for nearly a decade and no matter what I've stuck with what you posted and where you went. While it saddens me to imagine you gone, not just because of your content but also the history you had with YouTube and seeing how you progressed and matured over the course of nearly ten years, I still don't want all these archived memories to be lost for good. I've gone back many times before and re-watched old playthroughs, still being able to laugh and enjoy them as I did the first time I saw them many years ago. In fact, you're almost a part of my daily routine as I sit and watch your playthrough alongside me playing the same game myself. Nearly every night for a couple hours I lay in bed watching your videos. I don't want to see your content disappear over night and I would imagine many fans and even haters would agree with me. Whether someone's watching because they enjoy the game, your commentary or simply want to laugh at the fails, they are all great memories that hold value to each of us. I certainly hope you can and will find a way to get yourself out of the mess you're in and continue to stay positive and push forward! While nothing lasts forever, it's better to try and fail rather than not try at all. If anything, that is what I learned from watching you and I hope to see your legacy continue.

Your fan and friend,

IndustrialGamer 

• Upvote 1

Phil, I'll be going to university this year to study Audio engineering and sound design. My whole life I've been living in a small town with around 30k people. I'll be moving in a big city that has almost 2 milion people now. I have a huge social anxiety disorder and I don't know how can I take that pressure of living in a such huge place all alone. Also I'll be hundreds of miles away from my family, friends and all the people I've known in my entire life. I only have an uncle in that huge city. Can you give me some advice on how to adapt to such huge change? 

Your fan Age Of Steel

And shit, I hope I'm not too late 

What is the first anime you remember watching? Have there been any shows or movies you've seen in your lifetime that you think are good enough to recommend to people new to anime?

Hello Phil!

I'm glad that your switch to twitch has worked out well for you.  Hope your business continues to grow and thrive, as I really enjoy your playthroughs!

When you switched over, I remember you saying that one of the reasons you chose to do so was that you figured out a way to stream live in one resolution, and record in another resolution.  This addressed the specific issue of Twitch having a hissy-fit with streaming at 1080p60.  And for awhile, I could swear you were doing exactly that - streaming in a lower resolution for Twitch, and recording a higher resolution for Youtube.

But now, like since the New Year, all I've seen recently on Youtube are videos recorded at 720p60.  What happened?  If you gave an explanation for this, I must have missed it.  And I certainly miss the videos at 1080p60 - when I watch fullscreen on my large monitor, it's really noticeable.  Is there any chance this will change?

Thanks - planetjeff

Hello folks!

FYI just to clarify - this upcoming episode of Ask the King will be filmed/released on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017. I've been mentioning this recently in vlogs and pre-streams, but TOTALLY forgot to update the date in this thread, so I've now done so.

Please keep submitting your questions and thanks!

Phil, we all know President Trump is in the WWE Hall of Fame, but if you had to pick a different WWE Hall of Famer to lead the country who would it be?

• Upvote 1

Hi DSP,

Will you be playing anymore PS1 games in the future? If yes, which ones do you have in mind ? 

Edited by Kaaris

Hey Phil,

Just want to say I love your videos and hope your business picks up and things get easier for you.  It's really a shitty situation that you're in with the CT housing market -- it's happened to too many people and makes me paranoid about buying a house anywhere.  Here's my question: Would you like some help on the technical side (or other areas) of your business?  I know patreon pledges help, but as I'm sure you're aware they're not the most stable source of income, and ultimately aren't increasing your exposure at all.  Have you considered running some advertising campaigns or doing promos?  There are other ways you could increase your exposure as well, and each of your fans has something they're talented at and some of them have the time to help.  Anyway, I just want to offer my help and I'm sure there are others out there as well, with other areas of expertise.  Mine is software engineering, and I've got some extra time to help out if you need it.  Keep it real.

I remember you saying that if you needed to make ends meet without youtube you'd have to take two jobs, therefore retiring from making videos for the forseeable future. If such a thing happened but later you felt comfortable enough money-wise to make videos again, would you change to another video-sharing website to stick it to Youtube?

Edited by onorub

Phil, Do you think there might be another Grim Fandango game in the future?

Phil, In your whole life of video gaming what would you say is your most favorite funniest moment? 

Phil, would you play any PVP survival game like RUST, ARK: Survival Evolved? How are you liking Resident Evil 7: Biohazard? And Would you want a Life is Strange 2?

Edited by Derichlegends26
  • Upvote 1

Dear Phil,

I've been meaning to ask how you get paid by Machinima?  I always thought you got a flat-rate based off of views, and Machinima would get paid by Youtube's ad revenue.  I've noticed a couple of your tweets that you don't get paid based off of straight views anymore, but ad revenue affects your income more.  I understand if you can't share due to contract clauses, but I think it would be a great thing to share to clear up any misconceptions regarding your contract.  I find it absurd how your channel viewership and interaction can be growing, but your income is dropping precipitously!   

Also a follow-up question.  Do you think 2017 is the beginning of the end for Youtube?  Do you think another content creator will come up soon to introduce some competition, or do you think Youtube will continue to have a stranglehold on the market.  

Thanks for all that you've done for us these past few years and best of luck to you in 2017.  We will always be here to support you!

Edited by cjpacquing

If you had a more capable PC, would you play on PC more than consoles? If not, what in particular about consoles attracts you over PC?

Do you have any interest in comicbooks as a collectible? I myself collect vintage comics (Silver and Golden Age) and was curious if you did? If so do you read modern comics or just the older stuff? What are your favorite titles?

Phil,

Now having played all the "souls" series of games including bloodborne and demons souls which would you say is your favorite and why? 

Do you have a favorite and least favorite boss battle from the series?

Finally, would you ever consider a redemption run of the Bloodborne dlc?

Richie7 

Hello Phil,

I have some questions for you.

1. If your Twitch and Chill stream would in the future successful, would you like to do a Kickstarter or Trash Game stream once a month along with fans. The Patreon and you would select new games which are good or bad and possibly to play in future.

2. Did you once thought to play unknown games like Knock Knock or Pathalogic The Marble Nest from Ice Pick Lodge, or any other unknown developer.

3. Have you heard about Sons of Kojima, they make "Lets Endure Series".  They have discussed about your YouTube career.

You can search on youtube " Let's Endure: My Life is Fucked" or other games.   They have more viewers from your videos.  What's your opinion ?

Categories

Edited by alex89

hey phil

have you ever gotten any of the monthly free PS plus games or xbox live games with gold? there have been some really good ones over the years and i think Not a Hero on PS4 will be free with PS plus soon you should get a couple of this months free games to use as downtime playthroughs

What is the one thing you feel has held back your business the most in your 8-year history as a YouTube let's player? What has helped you the most?