The King of Hate Forums
RedemptionGaming

Mass Effect Trilogy: Yay or Nay?

Mass Effect is, in my opinion, one of my favorite games in recent memory. I know, I know, we are getting Mass Effect Andromeda, but I still think that the ORIGINAL Mass Effect Series lives on...... or is it? Does the Mass Effect Series lived up to the hype for all this time, or is it only a distant memory? Let's find out:

Mass Effect 1 takes us into the shoes of Commander John Sheppard, who is a very stoic character for the ORIGINAL Mass Effect games, when you start a new campaign, you can customize the appearance of Sheppard, either MALE or FEMALE you can choose as this character. Then you will be immersed into the realm of Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 that is like a renewed "rejuvenation of the gameplay and combat of the 3rd person shooter." 

So, if you've played Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 already, then you already know the gist of the game. You as the player under Sheppard will run around the galaxy in order to stop the evil that terrorizes the galaxy. You are under the wings of the Normandy, protected by various colorful characters like Joker, Dr. Chakwas, etc.

For me, IMO, Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 are the BEST O.G games of this generation, but they have some flaws, most of them is about their endings, INCLUDING Mass Effect 3 which is a CLIFFHANGER! I swear!. So overall, I rate Mass Effect 1 an 8.75 out of 10, Mass Effect 2 a 9.25 out of 10, and FINALLY Mass Effect 3 a 7.75 out of 10. I SERIOUSLY HOPE Mass Effect Andromeda brings new gameplay, new things, and A BETTER ENDING! (sigh)!

That is it for my short rant/review of the 3 Mass Effect Original titles. You may disagree, and if you are, please leave some constructive criticism down in the comments. :D

I'd definitely say yay, but i feel the final game needed an ending with a "Dragon Age origins style" presentation, where the long-term consequences of the missions were fully fledged out.

Ever since Mass Effect 2 and 3 became backwards compatible i've planned on playing through them again. I finished number 1 yesterday and started 2. Mass Effect will always be one of the greatest series I ever played. If only the ending was better.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ever since Mass Effect 2 and 3 became backwards compatible i've planned on playing through them again. I finished number 1 yesterday and started 2. Mass Effect will always be one of the greatest series I ever played. If only the ending was better.

Now that you mention it, that actually sounds like a good idea. I might do that as well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NoveskeSaiga said:

Yay! Mass Effect 3 left a bad taste for me though. I need to go back and replay it and see if my opinion has changed, but I just remember some really awful ninja villain and star child. 

People do seem to ignore the journey of ME3 which imo was fantastic and just focus on solely the ending. game had MASSIVE gameplay improvements over ME2 which i absolutely love. One thing i'd say is bad would be the way they put a Prothean character who is pretty much very relevant to the story behind day 1 dlc. That just flat out needs to die.

Mass Effect 2 is available for free on PC from Origins On the House.  I think I read somewhere it comes with the free cerberus Network DLC but not 100% on that.

As for Mass Effect 3 and it's ending I can live with it.  The game up to that point is a decent game and as the ending is just that, the end the lack of any previous choices you made in all 3 games inspiring the ending isn't a massive dealbreaker.  They would literally have had to create thousands of different endings if they did that for all the combinations of choices.  Not the best ending admittedly but still a great game for 99.9 of it.  Well, maybe 90% as Kai Leng is absolutely pointless.

Edited by TheTruthCommission