The King of Hate Forums
LackOfMercy

What Do You Think Is The Best Free To Play Game?

For me that honor goes to Team Fortress Two, it's an amazing game bursting with personality and charm. The game is funny, exciting, charming, fun, and a many other things I couldn't begin to describe. 

One of the other things I adore so much is that it's not pay to win. I've seen some pro ass players that have never even thought about buying a single weapon. It'd just overall a great experience. 

I don't play any free to play games on the PC outside of Team Fortress 2.  I played it since it was a part of Orange Box when it was released.  The game is still fun, and there is no paying for upgrades.

On my phone, I usually play free to play games there, but haven't played much lately.  Downloaded the new Fire Emblem, haven't touched it yet.  Downloaded Super Mario Run and haven't played much of it.  I'd like to go back and play through them.

Edited by MurderBobby

I enjoy Dota 2 a lot, invested almost 3k hours. 

TF2 is neat.
Warthunder, and Word of Tanks/Plains/Warships are cool but like most of the f2p games they get really grindie without spending money.

TF2 for sure, although 

On 4/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, MurderBobby said:

I don't play any free to play games on the PC outside of Team Fortress 2.  I played it since it was a part of Orange Box when it was released.  The game is still fun, and there is no paying for upgrades.

Free updates, but the game hasn't had a proper update since December of last year. But compared to what the game was back in 2007, hell yeah all that free content since then is great. Shame they only have like 4-5 people actually working on the game at valve now. 

• Upvote 1

Warframe, definitely. You can get everything ingame, even trade for the money exclusive currency through normal trading. I only spent about $60 on this game (whenever there was a huge 75% discount) over the course of the last 3 years playing and accumulated about $580 real currency only to be used ingame. Plus, apart from some inventory slots, 95% real currency exclusive items are cosmetic only.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 9:18 AM, LokiPrime said:

Warframe, definitely. You can get everything ingame, even trade for the money exclusive currency through normal trading. I only spent about $60 on this game (whenever there was a huge 75% discount) over the course of the last 3 years playing and accumulated about $580 real currency only to be used ingame. Plus, apart from some inventory slots, 95% real currency exclusive items are cosmetic only.

I just got back into Warframe, started back in closed beta when each weapon had its own skill tree. Left about when Nova was first released due to the lame super-grind events.

That said to be top of the top now you need primed mods it seems, which means waiting an undisclosed amount of weeks until the NotXur shows up and hopefully has the single mod you need, only to repeat for the next handful. Or you can trade for them with plat, which is most easily gotten with real money of course. I loved prior how almost anything could be obtained ingame by playing missions, and it seems it's mostly still that way but you can no longer be the strongest you can be by simply playing the game, trading has been written into the formula of demand and funding generation.

If I had more success trading or they made it grindable, even in some horribly bad odds, I'd not care. But as-is it is a pain in the rear.

It is probably the best F2P title out now.

Another vote for Warframe. I've not played a lot of it but what I did play felt great. I love the movement combined with melee and ranged combat. Definitely worth checking out for anyone into first/third person shooters.

Have to throw a vote in for Heroes of the Storm as well. I loved the Defense of the Ancients mod back in the day but hated having to memorize recipes, what items were good for what characters, etc. HotS takes all that superfluous baggage out and lets you focus on the fun parts; fighting the enemy team and achieving objectives. There's still plenty of depth in how you build and play the various heroes so it doesn't feel shallow. There are also quite a few maps with varied objectives to keep things interesting.

With the 2.0 update they did last year I feel like it's very easy to play without spending a lot of money. Starting off you get access to a few heroes and those change each week. You make gold by leveling up and doing dailies and that gold can be used to buy heroes.

If you're even remotely interested in MOBAs I HIGHLY recommend Heroes of the Storm. I've spent 100's of hours in it and can't get enough. Yes there are asshole players but it's nowhere near as bad as I've seen in other communities. Just block the shit heads.

Some tips for new players:

• Play Quick Match vs AI until you learn the maps/heroes/objectives. 
  • If someone is an ass to you, block them. If you want, announce to the group at the start that you're new. I've found most people are more forgiving if you let them know up front as they can guide you better.
  • Get every hero you have access to to level 5. It's an easy 500 gold and 4 crates
  • Don't get disappointed if you try a few heroes and don't find any you like. Sometimes you need to play a bit to find ones that click with your playstyle
  • If you're looking for talent builds, check out https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/  for suggestions.
  • The #1 mistake people make is over extending and chasing to get kills. Don't do this and you're better than like 40% of the players already. 
  • Learn the different pings and make sure you're responding to other player's pings. 

Depends on what you are after in all honesty.

One that sticks out for me is Lord of The Rings Online. Granted not for everyone but it's a ton of content and for a LOTRO fan it's a HUGE thing. I like to play a bit of MMO every few months and that one really scratched that WoW itch.

Tho... I would play WoW but after all these years something happened and my account got hacked and banned, I'll never go back to that game if support won't help me get my OG character. I spent so much time on that when I was younger. Really grinds my gears, lol.

Fortnite is something really awesome right now if you like shooters.

Path of Exile is pretty good, lots of friends love it.
Smite is another one I've had a lot of fun with.

Planetside 2 is good.

I'm all out but yeah, LOTRO is the "best" content and offering wise. Fortnite is the most fun and exciting. PoE and Smite both offer really compelling experiences in their genres and Planetside 2 is just some mindless shooty fun.

On 11/22/2017 at 7:18 AM, LokiPrime said:

People I know tell me this.