The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pochomex

Nioh Playthrough

Pochomex    105

Just saw Phil's first impressions video. I'd just like to clarify that there are NOT 2 different versions of the game. The difficulty and enemy placement from the Alpha are actually in the retail game but it's in the New Game+. That's when things get as tough as the Alpha, although it wasn't really what I'd consider a "bait and switch". Also the reason reviewers are complaining about the game being too hard is because they suck at it. There aren't two versions of the game.

Ufo8mycat    4
5 hours ago, Pochomex said:

Just saw Phil's first impressions video. I'd just like to clarify that there are NOT 2 different versions of the game. The difficulty and enemy placement from the Alpha are actually in the retail game but it's in the New Game+. That's when things get as tough as the Alpha, although it wasn't really what I'd consider a "bait and switch". Also the reason reviewers are complaining about the game being too hard is because they suck at it. There aren't two versions of the game.

When I'm finding the game too easy compared to the alpha and Dark Souls and hearing people are having a tough time with this game, I also got paranoid thinking that maybe the digital version (the version I have) was different then the physical version, which is the version some people I spoke to are playing, who are having a tough time. (Even from those who played Dark Souls saying this is tougher)

I consider myself someone who is average at Souls/Bloodbourne, so when I'm not finding it hard at all and some others are, makes it hard to believe, since I don't think I'm that good.

i guess they really did nerf the difficulty a lot. Alpha demo was just right. As it is, it's way below Dark Souls level difficulty and this is coming from someone who is average at those games.

Pochomex    105

The Alpha was certainly hard but the following Beta and most recent Demo were about the same difficulty as the retail game. They toned down the difficulty after the Alpha due to consumer feedback. 

There are plenty of reviewers saying the game is still too hard but I think it's just a personal problem. I really doubt there are two versions of the game like Phil says.

KGhaleon    1085

Did he get the idea about two different versions from that Polygon reviewer that said he wouldn't be playing it because the demos were too hard?

Hope there is more to it than that.

Phil    1560

It's not that it's not "Easy." In honesty, the core gameplay (i.e. going through the levels) is actually far easier than Dark Souls IMO. I'm only dying a few times, if any, on new stages; I think I died twice in the entirety of the actual stage I played today. Instead, EVERYTHING was on the overly cheap boss.

The bosses are very hit or miss. I died a ton to the General, and enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was a fair but very challenging fight. Great timing allows you to win a very one-sided fight where he can kill you instantly at any moment, very daunting, but rewarding.

Centipede boss was utter crap. Can't hit the damn thing cleanly without getting hit yourself, EVEN WITH A SPEAR which has the best range of all melee weapons. The thing randomly stunlocks you (which you can tell is unintended by the game devs, it's just a mistake they neglected to fix) for an instant kill. It takes ages to set it up to finally damage it legit (having to kill the "tail" segments etc.) and it's far more of a puzzle full of tedium, rather than a challenge.

Sadly, today's boss (Umi-bozu) was more of the exact same kind of terrible boss design. First, you have to light three hidden torches to effectively fight it (unless you randomly took enough fire talismans, which you wouldn't know you needed beforehand) making the stage twice as long as it needs to be. Then, when you fight it, not only can it do an incredibly fast/cheap instant-kill move at any time, there are damned holes all over the boss room that lead to accidental and cheap instant deaths. It's like, not only can we make the most tedious possible boss, but then we'll put the same fucking holes in the floor from the Bed of Chaos boss in DS1 JUST to make you die more and have to keep starting over.

In comparison, the first 2 bosses (Onryoki and Hiro-enma) are FAR better, gimmick-free boss fights worthy of this kind of game. So I certainly hope they didn't stack the game with this other kind of cheap, time-waster bullshit.

Just to let u know those mimic chests they do an emote and if u do it quick enough back the same emote. They wont fight u. U get a free emote out of it and also all of the loot u normally get if u fight it. Also there is skills for like back stabbing. But u know gotta use those samurai points. 

Chachamaru    92

So whats the difference between "one-sided fight where he can kill you at any moment" and "stunlocks for an instant kill" or "can it do an incredibly fast/cheap instant-kill move at any time" exactly? It all kills you regardless and all need good timing to avoid, ur stunlock situation is just bcos ur out of stamina and is directly in front of the boss that continuously do damage while moving forward.

Ima try describe a good boss fight according to what i heard, saw and read from you ok phil? So gimmick-free should be

-large plain field (or unlimited if possible) with no obstacles or holes

-bosses have no debuff moves, their hits will not stagger or stun

-bosses attacks have no fast moves, no instant kills (or no hard hitting moves)

-bosses have small health pools and can be killed fairly quickly

-no set ups, no preparations and no item management  (ie usage of extra items and skills will not improve the fights)

-no PUZZLES

-bosses movement/fight mechanics work exactly like the player

(also from dark souls series)

-bosses have no random moves (all moves are patterned) and not too much moves available to them

-have checkpoints if boss have multiple phases

-no offscreen attacks (ie all attacks must come from the front of the camera angle or within the screen)

thats just from the top of my head. Now imagine all boss fights in games are like that.

• Upvote 3

Ufo8mycat    4

When I hear people say that Nioh is harder then Dark Souls, it got me paranoid in thinking that I downloaded a different version of the game from PSN (easier review version), because there is no way in hell Nioh is harder, even if you ain't using the OP cheap spear as your main weapon.

- Enemies pretty much start their attack before you are even in range for them to hit you. Can just wait until they finish and then start hitting them

- Enemies telegraph their attacks, so you know what to do and can easily take advantage

- Bosses also telegraph their attacks, so you know when to dodge before hand and they also have very limited attack patterns

- AI is pretty average as they arent aggressive enough and like I said start attacking before you are even in range.

I consider myself someone who is only average at Dark Souls, so if I've only died 23 times so far (Up to mission 8), then there is something wrong with the difficulty of this game. The above points are the big reasons.

No way this is harder then Dark Souls. I honestly am baffled and this is coming from someone who is only average at Dark Souls type games.

Am I playing a different version? Lol

Quaseemoto    19
18 hours ago, Phil said:

The bosses are very hit or miss. I died a ton to the General, and enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was a fair but very challenging fight. Great timing allows you to win a very one-sided fight where he can kill you instantly at any moment, very daunting, but rewarding.

Centipede boss was utter crap. 

In comparison, the first 2 bosses (Onryoki and Hiro-enma) are FAR better, gimmick-free boss fights worthy of this kind of game. So I certainly hope they didn't stack the game with this other kind of cheap, time-waster bullshit.

I can't tell whether you're enjoying a boss or hating it. You have the exact same reactions to both situations. This is what i've seen, and just be aware, im only watching you fight the bosses (theres a montage idea).

Onryoki you complained about the dodging (even though saying its way better than Dark Souls) and probably one of the low points of this playthrough so far is you rolling into an attack, then saying "Whats the point of dodging if you're not invincible?" You only died once to the guy, but doesn't seem like you enjoyed him after all the complaining.

Hino-enma was more dodging complaints, complained about her paralyzing move. You only died twice in this boss but still, can't tell if you enjoyed it or not because the little commentary you where doing during the fight, it was complaining.

Nue you beat him on your first try, congratulations. Even less commentary during the Hino-enma fight. But are you starting to see the trend?  When you're beating a boss and winning, your commentary goes waaaaay down in quality, totally uninteresting if there is any commentary at all. This one outside of the quick excuse or complaint was mostly made up of "OKAY" and "UHHHs" and "WOW", not really reveting to watch and listen too. Even though you're complaining  a good 85% of your boss fights, I'd rather watch those than these uninteresting ones where you win. Think im just complaining? Ok, go watch for yourself, its part 16. It's a snoozefest.

Tachibana Muneshige (1st time) is really nothing to talk about, other than somehow even though you utterly destroyed him, you still complained about a cheap attack.

Tachibana Muneshige (2nd time) Conveniently after bragging how easy this game is this boss gave you trouble. Complaints about "not being able to move", doing moves he hasn't done before, and dodging complaints. If this is the boss you actually enjoyed, I have a VERY hard time recognizing it through your constant confusion and complaints.

Centipede boss firstly the video has 112 dislikes to 30 likes, you complained about being robbed when the centipede went on attack and you "not being able to move" when we can VISIBLY see you turn to the right and walk off the platform to your death. That was YOUR FAULT btw. Not bad boss design, when the boss was intended to be tedious. You're just pretty bad at complex situations, such as this one where you have to use the environment and different weapons to defeat the boss and not just poke / dodge them to death. Highlight of this boss was you going to the aim mode for the arrow, it fails, and then claiming thats "not what you wanted". I must ask, what did you want at that period of time Phil? A cheeseburger? A Grenade? I would think, if you have a bow and you go into the arrow aiming mode, an arrow should be the only thing you want at that period of time. 

And thats how far i've gotten. I don't know what you're talking about you've enjoyed those two earlier bosses because you even complained while fighting them. The video of you fighting the general paints a completely different picture in regards to what you've just typed, and the centipede boss was mostly just bad gameplay on your side of the controller. I think it's time to come to terms with the fact that you have an excuse for every hit, punch, range attack, bite, or fall that grazes you.. But fortunately for you, a lot of times this is the most entertaining points of your playthroughs.

Edited by Quaseemoto
  • Upvote 2

KGhaleon    1085

Around part 32 he called Itsukushima Shrine a "flooded village." Oh my god.

It's a famous shrine in Japan well known for being one of the three most beautiful places. I took a trip out there a few years ago and it's exactly how it looks in the game(without all the destruction).

Centipede boss seems hard until you realize his glaring weakness. If you stand directly in front of him and just guard, you can block most of his attacks including his paralysis and poison attack(or just sidestep them). After each attack he stops briefly so you just attack him once or twice then guard again for his next blow. Boss dead. Probably the easiest boss in the game.

Edited by KGhaleon

Phil    1560
8 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Around part 32 he called Itsukushima Shrine a "flooded village." Oh my god.

It's a famous shrine in Japan well known for being one of the three most beautiful places. I took a trip out there a few years ago and it's exactly how it looks in the game(without all the destruction).

Centipede boss seems hard until you realize his glaring weakness. If you stand directly in front of him and just guard, you can block most of his attacks including his paralysis and poison attack(or just sidestep them). After each attack he stops briefly so you just attack him once or twice then guard again for his next blow. Boss dead. Probably the easiest boss in the game.

Yeah, well I'm playing the game very similar to Dark Souls, where doing something like holding block directly in front of a boss for an elongated period of time usually results in pretty nasty death, lol. In all honesty the boss isn't hard at all, it's just that I had insanely bad luck my first run when he STUNLOCKED ME for about 5 hits leading to an instant kill. It's so sad because it's blatantly obvious they didn't intend for that to even be possible, but never just stood in that exact spot during testing. 

MiracleMan    2
Just now, AlucardViDracul said:

Well he still has the epilogue mission to do. Which I believe is sort of hard. 

Oh, I see. I thought it was done after the 'last boss' except the NG+ stuff ofc.

19 minutes ago, MiracleMan said:

Oh, I see. I thought it was done after the 'last boss' except the NG+ stuff ofc.

Na that is the final boss but it was sort of hinted about the main character ending where it all started at. I guess True Final Boss.

• Upvote 1

KGhaleon    1085

Why does he waste his Living weapon so early in these boss fights?

There were a number of times where he used it right at the beginning, then he would die with the boss at a slither of HP. Would've saved himself another 20-30 minutes of frustration if he didn't jump the gun so often.

Earlier today I was reading some history pages on wikipedia about Nobunaga and ran into some revealing Nioh spoilers.

Be warned, reading Japanese history will spoil Nioh for you...lmao

KGhaleon    1085

Anyone interested in a good build should try this backattack build. I tested it on the frog brawl sub-mission and killed him with pure easy only taking a single hit. Massive damage.