The King of Hate Forums

Open Letter to DSP

Hello.  It is rare that I do things like post on forums of people I am a fan of but I need to get something off my chest. I know you are in a rough spot right now and I hope if I share my experience it could help you in the long run. Last November I found myself unemployed and with a lot of time to kill.  Eventually I stumbled upon Darksydephil's videos and enjoyed them.  It is rare I pick up games on the day they come out so it was nice to have a place to go to see some gameplay of these new releases.  I would check out your channels and sometimes come and lurk at the forums.  While lurking it became clear you had a problem with haters which I did not think much of because anyone who puts themselves into the public eye will have that negative following.  I only mention that last part because anyone who has criticism of you will get a negative label pretty fast on these forums.

Sorry for the long opening just wanted to give some backstory before I get into why I am here.  I have been a casual fan for about 4 months and I have reached my breaking point.  I have my complaints but I will only share my biggest one.  I feel like you only see me as a dollar sign.  You see me as someone here just to pledge, cheer, sub, and watch ads on your videos.  Now I have no problem doing those things, I may be one of the last people to not have downloaded ad block, but when it comes off that it is the only reason a person wants me to watch their videos I do have a problem. 

I think when you put out a vlog or your pre stream you should skim through it before you upload it and listen to how the things you say sound to the viewers you are putting that video out to.  I have seen you deny saying things you have said.  I do not think your lying I just think you do not remember what you said which is a side effect of the stream of consciousness style vlogs you do.  Since you do not edit you do not go over the video again and again so you do not see how the vlog differs watching it compared to recording it.

This has already been too long I just wanted you to know how a new fan who came in with no previous judgement has reacted to your videos.  I am exhausted after four months I have no idea how tired a long time fan must be.  To have to feel obligated to pledge, cheer, watch the stream, and the 10-20 videos you put out a day with up to six ads on them. Good luck Phil I may check back in one day and see how things are.

P.S. Just to let you know I turn 27 Monday so if you want to call me dumb just leave off kid.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, JamFlowMan said:

P.S. Just to let you know I turn 27 Monday so if you want to call me dumb just leave off kid.

What does this have to do with anything? I'm pretty sure age doesn't determine how dumb you are.

First: I think he stopped uploading 10-20 videos a day long ago

Second: You're not obligated to donate, AT ALL. 

You can enjoy his videos and streams without being an autist about it

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, skysands2008 said:

What does this have to do with anything? I'm pretty sure age doesn't determine how dumb you are.

well a lot of time Phil call people who disagree with him kid, so that's why he said it.

second: no one is obligated to donate,but the op said that he feel like a dollar sign because of Phil actions.

you can reply to someone in this website without being autist about it.

34 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

How many times can this same guy post the same thing and expect Phil to fall for it, LOL. 

That's what I think. New users come here to post long paragraphs "criticising" Phil and sliding things to seek specific answers, "and SURPRISINGLY all new users with only 1 post posts LONG paragraphs criticising Phil with same writing flow" which for them are great materials to talk about and screencap. 

I'd ban their asses.

I have been a new viewer myself since November. And I actually thought Phil asking for donations was just a normal thing he did. 

I do understand the feeling like you are just a dollar sign because I have felt that before too, but that's not Phil's intention. Its just the way Phil expresses himself and it can sometimes come out wrong.. He has gone on record saying so himself how sometimes he expresses things incorrectly and people take it the wrong way.

But make no mistake.. He is grateful and thankful for your viewership and any support you can offer. Don't take it too personally, Phil just doesn't mince words and is a free flowing speaker, so sometimes it will come out rough around the edges.. But that doesn't mean his message is malicious or greedy. 

He is just on dire straits so he expresses a sense of need. And he has sad multiple times he is very thankful for any support he is given.

1 hour ago, ThatDogGuy said:

How many times can this same guy post the same thing and expect Phil to fall for it, LOL. 

well you joined to this site like 2 days ago. is that mean i can say that you also the same guy that getting banned all the time, or is it only ok to say it to people we don't agree with??

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, JamFlowMan said:

lurk at the forums.  While lurking

Nice choice of word lol, sounds like you are up to something sinister.

I think when you put out a vlog or your pre stream you should skim through it before you upload it and listen to how the things you say sound to the viewers you are putting that video out to.

Sadly the youtube audience has become more politically correct, than it was say five years ago and especially so with a group of haters nitpicking and twisting his words to suit their narrative.

I am exhausted after four months I have no idea how tired a long time fan must be.

Sad to hear that, but I have been watching dsp's videos since 2009 and I don't feel exhausted.

6 hours ago, JamFlowMan said:

Happy Pre-birthday.

12 minutes ago, BlonderSTS said:

well you joined to this site like 2 days ago. is that mean i can say that you also the same guy that getting banned all the time, or is it only ok to say it to people we don't agree with??

He said all the posts have the same writing flow, he at least gave his reasons why he thought what he did about these 1st post not a hater accounts, all I saw you doing is calling people autists and saying anyone claiming another user is a hater is wrong. As usual. And that's more evidence than you gave even if it is wrong.

Lately we had at least 3 accounts all acting like they were intellectually superior using very similar phrasing, I'm sure that is a coincidence though and I'm an autist for noticing the similarities?

Going back to OP surely being 27 means nothing, there's dumb 27 year olds and clever 27 year olds.  If age denotes how much intelligence and wisdom a person has then NASA would be run by 80 year old men.

Edited by TheTruthCommission
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, skysands2008 said:

That's what I think. New users come here to post long paragraphs "criticising" Phil and sliding things to seek specific answers, "and SURPRISINGLY all new users with only 1 post posts LONG paragraphs criticising Phil with same writing flow" which for them are great materials to talk about and screencap. 

I'd ban their asses.

Yes I am a new user with one post which is a long one about Phil.  Why is this? Because I made a account to post a long post about Phil.  I have good things I can say about DSP.  I think he speaks well and I got what I was looking for when I watched his game footage.  Those things just did not fit into the post I wanted to write.  How are any new fans supposed to feel welcomed if people with a small amount of posts says something they do not like and are branded autist who should be banned? 

20 minutes ago, RichterTryhard said:

I have been a new viewer myself since November. And I actually thought Phil asking for donations was just a normal thing he did. 

I do understand the feeling like you are just a dollar sign because I have felt that before too, but that's not Phil's intention. Its just the way Phil expresses himself and it can sometimes come out wrong.. He has gone on record saying so himself how sometimes he expresses things incorrectly and people take it the wrong way.

But make no mistake.. He is grateful and thankful for your viewership and any support you can offer. Don't take it too personally, Phil just doesn't mince words and is a free flowing speaker, so sometimes it will come out rough around the edges.. But that doesn't mean his message is malicious or greedy. 

He is just on dire straits so he expresses a sense of need. And he has sad multiple times he is very thankful for any support he is given.

I agree.  I never wanted to say I think Phil only cares about money just that it can come off like Phil only cares about money. Even if the subject is negative I think Phil enjoys making vlogs for the audience and as they go on he may just go off his mental script and make some spontaneous statements that can be misconstrued. I compare Phil to Atlas carrying the world (his business) on his shoulders.  When he says something like needing more income to stay afloat it is like he is passing the Earth to his fans and if not enough are there to catch it this whole thing falls apart. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, TheTruthCommission said:

He said all the posts have the same writing flow, he at least gave his reasons why he thought what he did about these 1st post not a hater accounts, all I saw you doing is calling people autists and saying anyone claiming another user is a hater is wrong. As usual. And that's more evidence than you gave even if it is wrong.

Lately we had at least 3 accounts all acting like they were intellectually superior using very similar phrasing, I'm sure that is a coincidence though and I'm an autist for noticing the similarities?

well i only told 1 person not to be autis, because he did the same to someone else. 

also, is it really unbelievable that we got a causal fan coming in here and have some kind of a problem just because he uses "  intellectually superior phrasing" that other whatever you wanna call them used ?

Edited by BlonderSTS
misspell
35 minutes ago, BlonderSTS said:

Not sure if english is your first language but some of your post doesn't make sense and you thumbed up DogMans post, does that mean you agree with him?

Edited by Amityville
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Not sure if english is your first language but some of your post doesn't make sense and you thumbed up DogMans post, does that mean you agree with him?

I think he is trying to say that new users get accused of being multiple accounts soley due to thier first post being an issue thry have with DSP that thr other users disagree with. At least that's what I got out of it. Not sure though.

1 hour ago, RichterTryhard said:

I think he is trying to say that new users get accused of being multiple accounts soley due to thier first post being an issue thry have with DSP that thr other users disagree with. At least that's what I got out of it. Not sure though.

yep. that's what i meant 

Well I lurked on this forum for quite a while and heard the same story so many times, I don't get the point in duplicating threads so the post is defunct anyway. Anyway posting that Phil thinks his fans are just for money is quite offensive to Phil and probably isn't going to result in a productive thread. 

On 3/1/2017 at 5:11 PM, skysands2008 said:

What are you on about really? You missed the whole point of his text.

No need to be that rude either. 

On 1/3/2017 at 1:11 PM, skysands2008 said:

On 1/3/2017 at 3:05 PM, RichterTryhard said:

Posts like these is why i think that Phil's actual fans are more harmful than the trolls themselves.

I'm a long time viewer and lurker, allways read the threads but never participated and but i think i might as well say something that i've been thinking for long. There is a lot of people who are fans of Phil that just pretend that everything is fine and everything Phil does is correct and indisputable.

Do you remember that Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns loses all his money because he makes a bunch of bad moves with his money and his attorneys just agree with him because they fear him? I feel like this is what happens whenever Phil needs advice or help, the people who actually provide some criticism get buried under the label of "trolls" or "detractors" and/or get banned for it because someone just disagrees with them.

I think this is the time to open the floodgates and let everyone speak out. if Phil disables things like comments, then you are turning away the very advice Phil needs right now, even if those comments may have some insults in them, it still helps (Besides, some insults from nobodies in the Internet shouldn't harm you in any way), its better than listening to a bunch of people who keep telling you everything is ok while the house is burning down around everyone, there is no way that ALL the comments in the video are malicious, that would imply that you have more trolls viewing your videos rather than actual fans.

My advice to you is to simply hear everyone's opinions, not just the ones you want to hear

Edited by Snowfield
3 hours ago, Snowfield said:

I think this is the time to open the floodgates and let everyone speak out. if Phil disables things like comments, then you are turning away the very advice Phil needs right now, even if those comments may have some insults in them, it still helps (Besides, some insults from nobodies in the Internet shouldn't harm you in any way),

I agree that saying everything is ok when it isn't can be damaging, however I can tell you from personal experience that offering advice in youtube comments section is hopeless as it gets buried under the negative comments, if you want to offer advice, the best chance of getting through to dsp, is joining this forum. 

3 hours ago, Snowfield said:

Posts like these is why i think that Phil's actual fans are more harmful than the trolls themselves.

I'm a long time viewer and lurker, allways read the threads but never participated and but i think i might as well say something that i've been thinking for long. There is a lot of people who are fans of Phil that just pretend that everything is fine and everything Phil does is correct and indisputable.

Do you remember that Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns loses all his money because he makes a bunch of bad moves with his money and his attorneys just agree with him because they fear him? I feel like this is what happens whenever Phil needs advice or help, the people who actually provide some criticism get buried under the label of "trolls" or "detractors" and/or get banned for it because someone just disagrees with them.

I think this is the time to open the floodgates and let everyone speak out. if Phil disables things like comments, then you are turning away the very advice Phil needs right now, even if those comments may have some insults in them, it still helps (Besides, some insults from nobodies in the Internet shouldn't harm you in any way), its better than listening to a bunch of people who keep telling you everything is ok while the house is burning down around everyone, there is no way that ALL the comments in the video are malicious, that would imply that you have more trolls viewing your videos rather than actual fans.

My advice to you is to simply hear everyone's opinions, not just the ones you want to hear

How is my commemt harmful to Phil? I've never even claimed I was a fan. Just someone who watches his videos.