The King of Hate Forums
VivekPharaoh

How Phil is Playing P5

I haven't made a post on the forums in a while, as I've been absorbed in real life stuff. For instance, I'm currently studying abroad in Tokyo for the rest of the year, and enjoying myself a ton so far. I recently saw a billboard for Persona 5, and it got me thinking about Phil.

Now, I understand the allure behind streaming Persona 5: Its a new release, and will most likely garner new subs and followers. However, what made the Persona 4 playthrough great, and what is currently making Danganronpa a great playthrough, is the fact that they were done with no stream interaction, and no "shout-outs" and whatnot intruding on the gameplay. I think I speak for a lot of OG DSP fans when I say that I enjoyed the old streaming style a bit more than the new one. However, you can't please everyone, and I understand that.

JRPGs in general lend themselves very well to the hyper-focused gaming style Phil can have. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I agree with that. When it comes to story driven games whether they be rpgs, visual novels, or just cutscene heavy (ala Heavy Rain) it is a real quality breaker IMO.

Now its not impossible for it to be done right, but due to Phil's commentary style and how he approaches and plays games, when he plays a story driven game with live chat or streaming I feel it definitely detracts from the video and even his commentary quality.

Some games work better being streamed, and some content creators can pull it off regardless of the game they play.

However, of all of the Let's Plays I have seen from Phil his Non streamed story driven game playhroughs are his strongest videos IMO.

Playing P5 on stream detracts from the video for me with the way Phil does his commentary and stream communication. And this is coming from a newer viewer.

I know I am already far less interested in watching his P5 due to this, yet am enjoying Danganronpa. Plus who knows what spoilers may come to pass at him randomly which is why it was important to play Danganronpa offline.

But Phil has changed his focus on how and why he does his videos now. So it seems any high attention or hyped game is going to be streamed regardless if its story heavy or not.

Just my 2 cents.

I think Phil would do great streaming Persona 5.  Youtube ads are doing bad right now thanks to the Wall Street Journal controversy.  I'm sure he can get a lot of donations while live streaming.

Edited by MurderBobby
More text.

7 hours ago, MurderBobby said:

I think Phil would do great streaming Persona 5.  Youtube ads are doing bad right now thanks to the Wall Street Journal controversy.  I'm sure he can get a lot of donations while live streaming.

Yeah exactly. That's more or less what I was saying. Myself and the topic creator just feel that streaming a story driven game with a live chat detracts the quality of Phil's commentary and videos.

However, all do to his financial situation all his Let's Plays are done for the purpose of profit now.. Which is fine but when a content creator does something like that it can impact the quality of thier work.

He may have fun at times and its obvious he wants to keep doing it, but these changes like becoming more of a Twitch Streamer rather than a youtuber all has to do with his financial situation which IMO now affects the quality of some of his Let's Plays.. Due to his commentary style some games just work better offline IMO.

For example i couldn't watch his Zelda stream due to his stagger all because of Nintendo's claims. Which I understand but it meant I could never really catch up for the stream.

I wonder if Phil knows he can partner with Nintendo to still recieve some of the ad revenue of Nintendo games.. They have a program for it and you get a percentage cut. There are many Nintendo exclusive Lets Player's that still do fine financially from doing this.

Its not the best but at least you could still get SOME of the money from your videos instead of none at all.

Sorry I got a little side tracked there.. But yeah P5 will clearly be streamed for the profits since its a hyped game release and viewers will support Phil live on Twitch due to it.

I actually think live streaming is better. That is because the entire game isn't narrative. There's also dungeon crawling and with the game being over 100 hours long I feel like an offline playthrough would progress more slowly.

For character name he is either just going to put his real name or something odd. I honestly think he should just go with the canon name "Akira(Given name) Kurusu(Family name)."