The King of Hate Forums
Jacks

Persona 5

Well, Im excited. But there is one thing Phil should probably know, most of the "new" mechanics in P5 aren't actually new.They are just refined mechanics from Persona's 1 and 2 as well as other Shin Megami Tensei games 

Spent enough time in Tokyo IRL that I don't really care for it being in Persona 5. The subway is just as bad as real life. Tired of seeing Shibuya in every JRPG.

I'm 9 hours into the game and it feels like I just got out of the tutorial. Apparently the online feature is really helpful, I guess it shows you what other people chose to do each day in terms of social links/confidants and stats. So far I've been getting some nice stat boosts from the books in the library, at least +3 for finishing them. There's a lady in the Shibuya underground mall that also sells some kind of plant seed that helps with your kindness stat.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

I'm 9 hours into the game and it feels like I just got out of the tutorial. 

Thats because the tutorial is actually 8 hours long.

I'm 4 hours into this thing, I'm about to start watching Phil's playthrough but there's something I need to say first:

I'm SO glad I bought the cheaper ps3 version. so far this is game is "fuck this game (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻" level of bad.

don't get me wrong the combat is great : cooler animations, the guns are back, the classic shin megami tensei demons are back, and negotiations are back (!)

BUT

for the first 3 hours, the game kept taking the control away from me. 2 steps, cutscene. 3 more steps, tutorial., 2 more steps, useless visual novel section with literally 4 lines.

the city... I couldn't, and I still can't do shit in it cause everything is scripted.

the soundtrack sucks compared to P3 and P4

the story is kinda stupid and badly structured. at some point I started rushing through the dialogues, just to go back and read the log to see if I lost anything... but no.

the game tries so hard to make me hate the bad guy, but as I said everything feels so stupid and, also, the characters keep repeating the same 3 concepts again and again:

yes, I know pervyteach is violent so stop showing me that. let me just kick his ass already

yes I know blondie probably rides pervyteach's solid snake so please stop make some random guy appear and say "ehi I heard blondie probably rides pervyteach's solid snake!" everytime blondie appears.

and yes I know I'm an outcast with a criminal record, so shut up and make something happen to me instead.

... and you're telling me I have to endure this for 4+ more hours!??  (o O)

Edited by kill-chan
  • Upvote 1

On 4/7/2017 at 3:04 AM, kill-chan said:

I'm 4 hours into this thing, I'm about to start watching Phil's playthrough but there's something I need to say first:

I'm SO glad I bought the cheaper ps3 version. so far this is game is "fuck this game (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻" level of bad.

don't get me wrong the combat is great : cooler animations, the guns are back, the classic shin megami tensei demons are back, and negotiations are back (!)

BUT

for the first 3 hours, the game kept taking the control away from me. 2 steps, cutscene. 3 more steps, tutorial., 2 more steps, useless visual novel section with literally 4 lines.

the city... I couldn't, and I still can't do shit in it cause everything is scripted.

the soundtrack sucks compared to P3 and P4

the story is kinda stupid and badly structured. at some point I started rushing through the dialogues, just to go back and read the log to see if I lost anything... but no.

the game tries so hard to make me hate the bad guy, but as I said everything feels so stupid and, also, the characters keep repeating the same 3 concepts again and again:

yes, I know pervyteach is violent so stop showing me that. let me just kick his ass already

yes I know blondie probably rides pervyteach's solid snake so please stop make some random guy appear and say "ehi I heard blondie probably rides pervyteach's solid snake!" everytime blondie appears.

and yes I know I'm an outcast with a criminal record, so shut up and make something happen to me instead.

... and you're telling me I have to endure this for 4+ more hours!??  (o O)

Seems pretty standard persona fare to me. P3 was slow moving as well. Idk how long its been since you played it but it takes time to open up. I think P4 was faster but I haven't played it for a couple years. 

But I played 3 like 2 months ago.

It does sound a bit longer but everything seems on par with what people expected.

But I guess you saved 10$? Congrats?

Sorry you're so dissappointed at the start of the game. If you liked 3 and 4 it'll get there.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:04 AM, kill-chan said:

BUT

Well no shit, you would know what you're getting into if you played Persona 4. Like the first 4 hours of that game were dialogue and cutscenes. SO MANY cutscenes, but that's fine because the characters are fun to chat with. Sorry but there's over 100 tracks of music in the game and I can't take your opinion seriously when you're only a few hours into it.

Anyway, I'm approaching the second big dungeon of the game and it's pretty awesome so far. This game will definitely be challenging Nier and Nioh for GOTY.

The game is great, kinda wish DSP did this on hard mode in retrospect because it seems kinda easy thus far for him on Normal and he has 2 Persona games under his belt already.

Playing this on hard, past the second dungeon and the boss fights ante up quite a bit where you have to do some side grinding to really make up for the cheapness the bosses present to you.

13 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

Seems pretty standard persona fare to me. P3 was slow moving as well. Idk how long its been since you played it but it takes time to open up. I think P4 was faster but I haven't played it for a couple years. 

But I guess you saved 10$? Congrats?

P4 was way faster. 3,5 hours or so before the first dungeon, but once you're there it leaves you full control. also the tutorial section is less invasive and it's all cramped into the first few hours. but again It all comes down to the fact that the story of P5 has yet to click me.

and actually I saved 30$ : here where I live the only P5 ps4 retail version comes with a really expensive day one edition, so W me I guess xD

11 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Sorry but there's over 100 tracks of music in the game and I can't take your opinion seriously when you're only a few hours into it.

that gives me hope. the first few in-game days had the same 3 boring track played over and over

10 hours ago, Blackspawn89 said:

The game is great, kinda wish DSP did this on hard mode in retrospect because it seems kinda easy thus far for him on Normal and he has 2 Persona games under his belt already.

Playing this on hard, past the second dungeon and the boss fights ante up quite a bit where you have to do some side grinding to really make up for the cheapness the bosses present to you.

yeah I'm playing on Hard too and normal as played by Phil looks really easy, but I also think Phil would die so fast on Hard.

quick example, against the guard captain he had a 50% chance of missing the first weakness, and he did :biggrin: . that would have possibly meant game over in 3 turns.

Spoiler

I was looking up that dreaming in black and white thing and apparently it is true. Seems ATLUS does use real stuff for their trivia still:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14959-its-black-and-white-tv-influences-your-dreams/

Apparently more studies are out there

@Phil I think you will be a little interested as well. I thought it was false as well the other day but apparently not

Edited by kushiyaki

the dlcs for this game are expensive... but extremely interesting.

each costume pack comes with costumes from some of the older persona/smt games (Smt 4, p1-2-if-3-4-ultimax), and also with the classic battle and victory themes of that game.

for example, by setting the main character's outfit to "yasogami high uniform", you replace the battle and victory theme with that of Persona 4! and that's awesome and terrible at the same time because once the battle ends, the bgm returns to that of p5  which I'm sorry it's literally cancer to my ears :(

oh , and

I'm like 25 hours in (3rd bad buy) and to my eyes this game is still "meh" at times.

awesome when it comes to combat and almost everything related to the hearts world, but seriously

1) can't access the menu during cutscenes (and they're so f-ing long)

2) dialogues are unnecessarily long. you could skip most of them and still lose nothing of the plot, relationships and character developement.

3) devs rushed the save system big time and they know it: more often than not, I'm teleported to my room and I'm forced to go to bed, yet the game asks me if I want to go to bed. this happens because the game wants me to manually save the game, since it's likely you won't be able to during the next day because chances are all you'll see will be cutscenes. terrible game design (cit.)

4) new simple mechanics get introduced even after 20h?!? wtf, in P4 I was ready to go after 2 1/2 h

5) I want to meet the person who thought placing the caffee machine in the worst possible fixed camera angle of the bar was a good Idea and punch his f-ing face.

2 hours ago, kill-chan said:

oh , and

I'm like 25 hours in (3rd bad buy) and to my eyes this game is still "meh" at times.

awesome when it comes to combat and almost everything related to the hearts world, but seriously

1) can't access the menu during cutscenes (and they're so f-ing long)

2) dialogues are unnecessarily long. you could skip most of them and still lose nothing of the plot, relationships and character developement.

3) devs rushed the save system big time and they know it: more often than not, I'm teleported to my room and I'm forced to go to bed, yet the game asks me if I want to go to bed. this happens because the game wants me to manually save the game, since it's likely you won't be able to during the next day because chances are all you'll see will be cutscenes. terrible game design (cit.)

4) new simple mechanics get introduced even after 20h?!? wtf, in P4 I was ready to go after 2 1/2 h

5) I want to meet the person who thought placing the caffee machine in the worst possible fixed camera angle of the bar was a good Idea and punch his f-ing face.

Wait.. What jrpg has ever let you access the menu during a cutscene??

As far as dialogue it can be pretty long. But that should be expected with this kind of game. Its mixing two genres together. The school life sim and a dungron crawling jrpg. School life sims or dating sims are always dialogue heavy.. As they are a subgenre of visual novel style games. If anything it wasn't wordy enough by those standards. 

And what do you mean by new simple mechanics being introduced later? If you are reffering to anything you get via confidant ranks.. Those are the optional rewards that add to the gameplay.. Not really part of a late tutorial.. But look at it how you please. I love how it kept things fresh and new as the game kept going. (Ive beaten the game).

The save system is fine.. Not sure how it seems "rushed" to you.. Rushed would imply its barely functional or unfinished. Its not a save "state" and never was gonna be if that's what you wanted.

I personally never had a hard time accessing the coffee machine but that's just me.

Going into December and just passed the big plot reveals, holy shit this game is amazing. I'm not sure whether to rank this above Persona 4 yet, we'll have to see how it concludes.

I have some other games to play, but I'd like to do a New game+ run at some point since there's some stuff I clearly missed.

8 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Going into December and just passed the big plot reveals, holy shit this game is amazing. I'm not sure whether to rank this above Persona 4 yet, we'll have to see how it concludes.

I have some other games to play, but I'd like to do a New game+ run at some point since there's some stuff I clearly missed.

I know I already rank it higher than persona 3 (which I liked more than 4) so it's pretty flawless. And I immediately jumped into new game plus and am already atbthe 3rd palace.. Just can't out it down.

8 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

I know I already rank it higher than persona 3 (which I liked more than 4) so it's pretty flawless. And I immediately jumped into new game plus and am already atbthe 3rd palace.. Just can't out it down.

I'm just pissed that there's two requests I couldn't do because they were locked behind confidants, the Tower and Hanged. I don't have enough time to do them before the end of the game.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:16 AM, RichterTryhard said:

Wait.. What jrpg has ever let you access the menu during a cutscene??

that's just bad practice

And what do you mean by new simple mechanics being introduced later? If you are reffering to anything you get via confidant ranks.. Those are the optional rewards that add to the gameplay.. Not really part of a late tutorial.. But look at it how you please. I love how it kept things fresh and new as the game kept going. (Ive beaten the game).

I just reached the point where I can strengthen personas. I mean, it's a really basic feature, there's no reason for it to not being introduced earlier.

at times I feel like devs had little confidence in the players memory skills or something.

The save system is fine.. Not sure how it seems "rushed" to you.. Rushed would imply its barely functional or unfinished. Its not a save "state" and never was gonna be if that's what you wanted.

the problem with the save system in this game is that it completely ignores some of the key features of the game.

no autosave in daily life is my biggest complain.

the game encourages you to manually save everyday, so you'd think you SHOULD save at least everyday...

...yet there's no silent daily autosave.

uhhhhm... OK ('= =)

I mean, the cutscenes here are so long and some of them last multiple in-game days. but what if I want to save cause I have stuff to do irl? what if the power goes puff? If that happens I'm screwd. I save whenever I can of course, but even then I have to hope the savefile is fairly recent, then go through the whole cutscene by FFWDing it cause, as I said, you can't access the menu during a cutscene so you can't save while it's playing. same goes if you realize you screwed up and want to load a savefile, cause that's what a manual save is for: you save, do something, then go back to the save if you want to undo.... too bad you can't access the menu during a cutscene, so you have to competely close the game, boot it again and go from there. in both cases it's a waste of time and, yes, it actually happened to me.

so yeah, it's rushed because all they did was dumbing down the previous system (save anywhere instead of specific places) without thinking it through.

oh, and another thing, unrelated to the save system thing.

in order to activate a DLC costume pack you have to go to your room, check the storage boxes, save manually and restart the game. this sounds really stupid per se, especially if we consider that the game ALREADY KNOWS when you bough those DLC cause it shows notifications when you boot the game. but wait, there's more: to do all of this you need of course to go to your room first... too bad that isn't always the case, cause sometimes the morgana will send you to bed the second you reach the stairs.

It's no big deal, but all of this is so inexplicably stupid and archaic beyond reason.

Edited by kill-chan

2 hours ago, kill-chan said:

I mean, the cutscenes here are so long and some of them last multiple in-game days. but what if I want to save cause I have stuff to do irl? what if the power goes puff? If that happens I'm screwd. I save whenever I can of course, but even then I have to hope the savefile is fairly recent, then go through the whole cutscene by FFWDing it cause, as I said, you can't access the menu during a cutscene so you can't save while it's playing. same goes if you realize you screwed up and want to load a savefile, cause that's what a manual save is for: you save, do something, then go back to the save if you want to undo.... too bad you can't access the menu during a cutscene, so you have to competely close the game, boot it again and go from there. in both cases it's a waste of time and, yes, it actually happened to me.

You know that period of time at the end of every day where they send you back to your room at the Coffee shop? That's where you save. The only times the story advances over several days without allowing you to save is during heavy story progression or exams. Every other day ends with you at your room.

Make sure to max out Temperance as soon as you can, as it allows you to do stuff at night after a dungeon or mementos trip.

Anyway, I'm at dungeon 7 right now and it's pretty long. The music is rad though.

22 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

You know that period of time at the end of every day where they send you back to your room at the Coffee shop? That's where you save. The only times the story advances over several days without allowing you to save is during heavy story progression or exams. Every other day ends with you at your room.

Make sure to max out Temperance as soon as you can, as it allows you to do stuff at night after a dungeon or mementos trip.

Anyway, I'm at dungeon 7 right now and it's pretty long. The music is rad though.

Good luck trying to one shot that dungeon, I ended up using a Soma at the very end xD

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kill-chan said:

that's just bad practice

I just reached the point where I can strengthen personas. I mean, it's a really basic feature, there's no reason for it to not being introduced earlier.

at times I feel like devs had little confidence in the players memory skills or something.

the problem with the save system in this game is that it completely ignores some of the key features of the game.

no autosave in daily life is my biggest complain.

the game encourages you to manually save everyday, so you'd think you SHOULD save at least everyday...

...yet there's no silent daily autosave.

uhhhhm... OK ('= =)

so yeah, it's rushed because all they did was dumbing down the previous system (save anywhere instead of specific places) without thinking it through.

oh, and another thing, unrelated to the save system thing.

in order to activate a DLC costume pack you have to go to your room, check the storage boxes, save manually and restart the game. this sounds really stupid per se, especially if we consider that the game ALREADY KNOWS when you bough those DLC cause it shows notifications when you boot the game. but wait, there's more: to do all of this you need of course to go to your room first... too bad that isn't always the case, cause sometimes the morgana will send you to bed the second you reach the stairs.

It's no big deal, but all of this is so inexplicably stupid and archaic beyond reason.

Well sorry you feel that way my dude :/

I just don't see it that way. In my eyes my reaction is more or less like "yeah that's what I expected" i have played many jrpgs.. And this is pretty standard. 

As this is my 5th persona game (played them all including SMT in general) I hardly save each day.. As that's just annoying to do in any game. If I lose a half hour of gameplay over something.. Oh well.. It happens.. Doesn't really bother me :p 

15 hours ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

Good luck trying to one shot that dungeon, I ended up using a Soma at the very end xD

It's pretty long, though I've still got plenty of SP items and Bandage 3 on everyone. Being able to swap between members to save SP was definitely the best thing about maxing the Star confidant. Well, back in I go.

:edit: Wow, the last part of Dungeon 7 was nuts. Multiple bosses in a row.

:edit2: Holy ****, the Dungeon 7 end boss is so freaking cool. Best boss design I've ever seen.

Spoiler

Not gonna lie, I shed a tear during that Ryuji scene. Man fuck that dude lmao

Edited by KGhaleon

On 13/5/2017 at 6:16 AM, KGhaleon said:

The only times the story advances over several days without allowing you to save is during heavy story progression or exams.

exactly my problem.

On 13/5/2017 at 6:39 AM, RichterTryhard said:

If I lose a half hour of gameplay over something.. Oh well.. It happens.. Doesn't really bother me :p 

I'm ok with losing minutes of stuff, as long as it's pure gameplay , when I have full control of the situation.

14 hours ago, kill-chan said:

exactly my problem.

I'm ok with losing minutes of stuff, as long as it's pure gameplay , when I have full control of the situation.

That's good, because there are gameplay segments later in the game where it might be an hour or two between save points in the bigger dungeons.

Just reached the final dungeon of the game, so getting anxious to see what's at the end. I'm around level 68 at the moment, so I'm wondering if I'm underleveled. I'm nowhere close to being able to fuse some of the tougher demons.

Edited by KGhaleon

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

That's good, because there are gameplay segments later in the game where it might be an hour or two between save points in the bigger dungeons.

Just reached the final dungeon of the game, so getting anxious to see what's at the end. I'm around level 68 at the moment, so I'm wondering if I'm underleveled. I'm nowhere close to being able to fuse some of the tougher demons.

You should be good on levels for now. You'll know when you need to get a few more levels when the enemy levels = when the other characters get their ultimate skills.

2 hours ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

You should be good on levels for now. You'll know when you need to get a few more levels when the enemy levels = when the other characters get their ultimate skills.

Just reached the final boss, probably will save it for tomorrow since I expect 2 hours of cutscenes. The last couple of twists at the end I should've saw coming...damn

Oh, and the final dungeon has enemies that drop 7K in exp per battle so I'm leveling up like crazy all of a sudden. D:

Maybe I'll grind a bit, just fused myself a Black Frost.

Edited by KGhaleon

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, SilentWarrior25 said:

I completed that dungeon in a day, although I did have about 200 sp items.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, RichterTryhard said:

As this is my 5th persona game (played them all including SMT in general) I hardly save each day.. As that's just annoying to do in any game. If I lose a half hour of gameplay over something.. Oh well.. It happens.. Doesn't really bother me :p 

I am the opposite and save as much as possible.