The King of Hate Forums
HomerSimpson

Phil's Engagement

I would like to congratulate Phil and Leanna on their engagement. I thought i would make a thread so others can also wish them the best of luck in their life. Phil has gone through a lot of hard times with his business and seeing something like this happen i feel happy for him as he deserves it. We will always support you, good luck. 

• Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, ShiroAkiama said:

Are patreons invited to the wedding if it happens?

Make it a patreon goal and have the top spot be the best man

17 hours ago, Noir said:

really..... this just cheapen the occassion.  Wedding are suppose to special occasions for some and you guys want to make it about money and patreon.

Edited by Doki'loki517
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doki'loki517 said:

really..... this just cheapen the occassion.  Wedding are suppose to special occasions for some and you guys want to make it about money and patreon.

I was just joking 

Congratz Phil.

However I just wanted to say in my opinion I disagree with what you said regarding "doing what a normal fucking human does and not make some over the top purposal".. 

Why? Because everyone I have ever known in my entire life has purposed on some extravagant way. Now I don't mean as big as what John Cena did. But still big. Like taking her to a fancy dinner and then purposing to her in front of family and friends. Or making her dinner and purposing in the privacy of your home. The point is its always during something very pleasant happening. Not just whipped out during a normal time without an event of some sort. Because proposals are supposed to be memorable and a surprise. Its uncommon to plan a purposal, because if you're planning a purposal you may as well skip that and get married. 

Because the purposal is just a status symbol and the gift of a ring. You said you don't have enough money but believe purposals shouldn't be extravagant.. Do you also feel weddings shouldn't be either? In which case you could just go to the court and get married that way. No major expenses required. 

Well I wish you and Pandalee good luck in your futures. You have good fortune awaiting ahead of you.

Honestly , a lot of couples who want to be married and be a couple don't do huge weddings. Because the couples realize a couple things.

- 1 )  They are starting out in life and know finances aren't gonna be great. For many , a lot will joke how things were a "struggle" those early years. To make ends meet. 

-  2 ) You may wanna examine Washington state's debt laws regarding spouses. According to this , Leanna wouldn't be held responsible for your debts :

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/community-property-community-debt-separate-debt-washington-state

Separate debts

Separate debts occur when only one party is responsible for a debt. Separate debts are acquired either prior to marriage or after physical separation. In situations where both parties are named on an account, both may still be legally responsible for a debt that is acquired either before or after marriage. In order to avoid continued responsibility for other charges that you did not acquire, you should contact the creditor, in writing, and have your name removed from the account. This will clear your responsibility for future charges, but not necessarily for prior debts.

Division of debts during divorce (https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/understanding-divorce)

If both spouses can agree to how debts should be divided, then the court may approve the decision. Whether or not debt division is agreed to, the court is required to follow some rules when dividing debt. Consider the following:

1. Separate debts should be the responsibility of the spouse who incurred the debt.
  2. Community debt should be divided fairly and equitably between the spouses.

Unless an agreed division is unfair or burdensome to one spouse, the court will generally allow an agreed division.

The division of debt does not relieve the other spouse of responsibility. If one spouse is responsible to pay a community debt, the other spouse is still responsible to the creditor for the community debt. Therefore, if the ex-spouse fails to pay for the debt that he or she was ordered to pay, the creditor can come after the other spouse. An agreed division does not require a creditor to go after only the spouse who was ordered to pay the community debt. If your ex-spouse fails to pay for the debt and you are forced to pay, you may sue your ex-spouse for damages that you incurred.

Additional resources:

Washington Law Help (http://washingtonlawhelp.org/)

Northwest Justice Project (http://nwjustice.org)

Related Legal Guides:

Debt Settlement Tips

Debt Negotiation

So yeah you should be in the clear if you wanna get married and not having to worry about your future wife being saddled with your debts according to the laws of that state your living in.

Also another law article.....and it states the same deal. She won't be held responsible for your debts.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=26.16.200

Debts incurred before marriage or domestic partnership—Separate debts—Child support obligation—Liability.

Neither person in a marriage or state registered domestic partnership is liable for the debts or liabilities of the other incurred before marriage or state registered domestic partnership, nor for the separate debts of each other, nor is the rent or income of the separate property of either liable for the separate debts of the other: PROVIDED, That the earnings and accumulations of the spouse or domestic partner shall be available to the legal process of creditors for the satisfaction of debts incurred by such spouse or domestic partner prior to the marriage or the state registered domestic partnership. For the purpose of this section, neither person in the marriage or the state registered domestic partnership shall be construed to have any interest in the earnings of the other: PROVIDED FURTHER, That no separate debt, except a child support or maintenance obligation, may be the basis of a claim against the earnings and accumulations of either spouse or either domestic partner unless the same is reduced to judgment within three years of the marriage or the state registered domestic partnership of the parties. The obligation of a parent or stepparent to support a child may be collected out of the parent's or stepparent's separate property, the parent's or stepparent's earnings and accumulations, and the parent's or stepparent's share of community personal and real property. Funds in a community bank account which can be identified as the earnings of the nonobligated spouse or nonobligated domestic partner are exempt from satisfaction of the child support obligation of the debtor spouse or debtor domestic partner.

11 minutes ago, RPGfan said:

Honestly , a lot of couples who want to be married and be a couple don't do huge weddings. Because the couples realize a couple things.

- 1 )  They are starting out in life and know finances aren't gonna be great. For many , a lot will joke how things were a "struggle" those early years. To make ends meet. 

-  2 ) You may wanna examine Washington state's debt laws regarding spouses. According to this , Leanna wouldn't be held responsible for your debts :

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/community-property-community-debt-separate-debt-washington-state

Separate debts

Separate debts occur when only one party is responsible for a debt. Separate debts are acquired either prior to marriage or after physical separation. In situations where both parties are named on an account, both may still be legally responsible for a debt that is acquired either before or after marriage. In order to avoid continued responsibility for other charges that you did not acquire, you should contact the creditor, in writing, and have your name removed from the account. This will clear your responsibility for future charges, but not necessarily for prior debts.

Division of debts during divorce (https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/understanding-divorce)

If both spouses can agree to how debts should be divided, then the court may approve the decision. Whether or not debt division is agreed to, the court is required to follow some rules when dividing debt. Consider the following:

1. Separate debts should be the responsibility of the spouse who incurred the debt.
  2. Community debt should be divided fairly and equitably between the spouses.

Unless an agreed division is unfair or burdensome to one spouse, the court will generally allow an agreed division.

The division of debt does not relieve the other spouse of responsibility. If one spouse is responsible to pay a community debt, the other spouse is still responsible to the creditor for the community debt. Therefore, if the ex-spouse fails to pay for the debt that he or she was ordered to pay, the creditor can come after the other spouse. An agreed division does not require a creditor to go after only the spouse who was ordered to pay the community debt. If your ex-spouse fails to pay for the debt and you are forced to pay, you may sue your ex-spouse for damages that you incurred.

Additional resources:

Washington Law Help (http://washingtonlawhelp.org/)

Northwest Justice Project (http://nwjustice.org)

Related Legal Guides:

Debt Settlement Tips

Debt Negotiation

So yeah you should be in the clear if you wanna get married and not having to worry about your future wife being saddled with your debts according to the laws of that state your living in.

See, yeah, that's fine, except that that's not actually how it works.

If I were to die, my debt wouldn't magically be wiped out; in fact, this almost never happens.

In SOME cases, creditors will fall back upon insurance policies to "wipe out" the unpaid debt, but that doesn't always work, nor does it always happen.

In a LOT of cases, debt goes into default status, and most likely the majority of unsecured debt (such as credit card debt or a few business loans I have) would be "sold off" to bad debt companies, who would then continuously break the law and hound Leanna until her dying day to pay those debts, regardless of the fact that she isn't legally responsible. This is an infamously widespread practice in the United States of America. I know, because I know TWO people to whom it's happened: these companies operate on a policy of harassment to get what they want. Unless you want a lifetime of letters, phone calls and e-mail communication constantly claiming you owe money that you don't, chances are you'll "settle" for a set amount and just pay it to get them off of your back. Or else, you have to go to court to get them to stop calling - which costs just as much! And that's the catch of it: pay them less than it would cost to go to court to get them to stop hounding you legally.

The absolute worst are the companies that find loopholes or actually break the law to show up on your credit report, for something your spouse did. Getting anything off of your credit report is an absolute nightmare.

So yeah, sorry to say, regardless of what's "legal" or "not legal" on paper, the USA is a pretty fucked place to live when it comes to finances/debt and the like. 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

See, yeah, that's fine, except that that's not actually how it works.

If I were to die, my debt wouldn't magically be wiped out; in fact, this almost never happens.

In SOME cases, creditors will fall back upon insurance policies to "wipe out" the unpaid debt, but that doesn't always work, nor does it always happen.

In a LOT of cases, debt goes into default status, and most likely the majority of unsecured debt (such as credit card debt or a few business loans I have) would be "sold off" to bad debt companies, who would then continuously break the law and hound Leanna until her dying day to pay those debts, regardless of the fact that she isn't legally responsible. This is an infamously widespread practice in the United States of America. I know, because I know TWO people to whom it's happened: these companies operate on a policy of harassment to get what they want. Unless you want a lifetime of letters, phone calls and e-mail communication constantly claiming you owe money that you don't, chances are you'll "settle" for a set amount and just pay it to get them off of your back. Or else, you have to go to court to get them to stop calling - which costs just as much! And that's the catch of it: pay them less than it would cost to go to court to get them to stop hounding you legally.

The absolute worst are the companies that find loopholes or actually break the law to show up on your credit report, for something your spouse did. Getting anything off of your credit report is an absolute nightmare.

So yeah, sorry to say, regardless of what's "legal" or "not legal" on paper, the USA is a pretty fucked place to live when it comes to finances/debt and the like. 

Of course I don't know that exactly about companies going after widows etc. I just handled an issue for a loved one and contacted the company they owed a debt to. It was his debt and I contacted the company and took care of it. They needed proof of his death and took care of it (and this was during the marriage). His wife hasn't received any calls or anything like that. 

I'm sure each state is different and each company that handles debt issues is as well. 

One good thing is though , unlike the situation I listed above , your not that old (this gentleman was in his 60's) and you still have time to get a handle on debts and take care of situations right now. So even if you did get married , you could logically take care of things in that span. As the saying goes , "Too Late is Tomorrow's Life ; Live for Today."

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:00 AM, Noir said:

Congratulations dsp and pandalee, by the way would that patreon goal be all expenses paid lol.

LTTP on this one, but congrats man. I've been following you since 09 and while you are probably the most unluckiest guy I know. I'm glad and happy you lucked out with Leanna and your engagement. 

Damn I feel old just thinking about when you uploaded your reveal video of Leanna.

Edited by BrickArts295