The King of Hate Forums
Deryu

What Makes You Watch Phil's Content?

There have been a lot of criticism threads where people state things that they don't like about Phil's content/personality and how  Phil should tweak his product. At this point, the negatives have been pretty well covered so let's take a moment to focus on the positive aspects of Phil's product.

Tell things that makes you watch Phil's content.

• Upvote 2

I watch his content because he finishes his games in a timely manner. I used to watch other let's players but they would take months to finish one game. I remember watching this one Metroid Prime let's play and no joke, it took the guy a year to finally finish the game. When I saw Phil finish games way faster than other let's players I just wanted to stay on board. There are also times he can be a bit funny but when Phil is really invested in a story, that's the personality I like the most.

Same as Cless at the start. At this point almost a reality show for me. It's a bit like a train wreck that I can't look away from. I'm invested in the character(s) and want to see what happens next. There's also the community aspect for me.

• Upvote 1

What made me want to watch Phils content was mainly the fact he finished games fast compared to other lets players and Phil can actually be really funny when the time comes. It moments like that which makes me invested in his longer playthroughs like with FFXIII where I was watching it more for the commentary than the actual game lol. But nowadays I usually just stick to playthroughs of games where I'm actually interested in like KH 2.

The fact that he uploads a lot of content each day. Being able to watch up to 4 hours of a playthrough at once is a nice feature for those boring nights :tongue:   The commentary also is what made me stay and keep watching.  The fact that you get a good laugh every once in a while. :smile:

Even though he might not edit his videos it still comes off great. Kind of like watching someone play the game in front of you.   On some occasions I went to other channels to finish off a playthrough that he dropped off and it just didn't feel the same. :mellow:

Oh god I sound like such a fanboy  ( ._.)

• Upvote 1

It's like sitting in someone's room watching them play live each day. Reminds me of my childhood except Phil talks a lot more than my friend did when I watched him play single player games when it was his turn.

Well i will say what used to make me watch his content. I'm no longer a fan but here's some aspects that i thought was positive when i was:

- He was that one guy to give live reactions to playing games

- His humor(at the time i was still a fan) was funny & i enjoy everything.

- He always uploaded alot of videos, prolly faster than most LPer's.

- Everytime i had something wrong happening in my life, his content gave me a smile.

I'll remind everyone that the Original Poster's intention for this thread was to discuss reasons why you watch my videos - not reasons why you do not or why others should not.

Majority of posters are on topic but a couple were moderated appropriately. Carry on and thanks!

• Upvote 6

At this point, I watch the vlogs and maybe the first ten minutes of a play through to get a feel for the game. It does not take much more time than that, honestly. I continue to watch as I have no clue where things are headed next. 

A Deryu topic.

Nothing is "making me" watch DSP, I watch his content because he's an entertaining and fun guy. I only watch youtubers for commentary anyway so how well they play a game isn't really a factor for me nor is the quality. I'm fine with just watching stuff at 360p and just running them in the background so I can listen while playing a game. WIP, Hate Live and Ask the king are great for that or if I need something to listen to on the way to work or during lunch.

• Upvote 1

I like watching Phil's videos for a number of reasons...I like to see how he plays, the choices he makes and his reactions to a game. 

I watch his videos to see if the game is worth playing- I have gone and purchased games that I previously wasn't interested in or sure about because I've enjoyed his playthrough.

I also enjoy watching/listening to the WIP, Ask the King and Hate live videos because I like to hear his thoughts on different topics. 

I like watching Phil's videos because I think he has a great sense of humour and I find him very entertaining. 

• Upvote 1

I'll remind everyone that the Original Poster's intention for this thread was to discuss reasons why you watch my videos - not reasons why you do not or why others should not.

Majority of posters are on topic but a couple were moderated appropriately. Carry on and thanks!

​See, now why couldn't this mentality be applied towards a thread such as this? http://thekingofhate.com/forums/topic/335-lets-debatediscuss-darksydephil/ Delete, warn, repeat. Help me understand.

On topic:  I used to watch every single one of his videos since 2008. Recently though I personally only pick and choose what I watch of his, very rarely do I watch anything of his at all. I have this mentality of loving people's reactions towards certain parts of video games. So right now for example, I'm watching certain parts of his DA: I play-through for reactions to things like Morrigan's return.

1.  Sheer quantity of content increases the chances that he's played something that I'd care to watch.

I'm rather picky on that front.  Generally there are two types of playthrough I enjoy: games from my past that i've played and I'm curious as to how someone else will react to various moments in it, and games that i'm intrigued by, but just not enough that I feel I'd ever invest the time and money to go and play it myself.

2.  Sense of humour.

3.  Authenticity.

4.  Funny rage.  Generally there are two kinds of rage he displays, one which makes me chuckle with schadenfreude or even feel sympathy for him, and the other which just rubs me the wrong way.  Generally the former is when it catches me unawares, something frustrating or unfair happens in the game out of the blue; and the latter is when the anger just seems misplaced, disproportional or unjustified (yes I know this is a negative, I'm just describing it to draw the distinction between that and the kind of rage that I find entertaining).

5.  The fact that he isn't like me in personality or gaming taste makes it more interesting to see how he'll react to things.  Chalk and cheese.  It would be boring if I could anticipate his reactions.

• Upvote 1

Reasons why i love watching phil

1. his rage. alot of people has taken his rage into him whining, but thats not how i takes it. i take it as something to watch and listen to.

2. completes most games in a timely manor/uploads more vids a day.

3. Funniest moments. From day one when phil started youtube, the funniest crap ever will always happen to him, weather a game bug happens where the shredder gets his face        fused to the hulks ass, or phil has to dodge giant balls, this insantity finds itself to phil.

4. his playthroughs are blind/he doesnt look into what the game is really about.

• Upvote 2

Mostly to see what the game he's playing is like because its raw you get to see the good and bad and not just clips from a review which is that persons opinion of the game.

• Upvote 1