The King of Hate Forums
Deryu

What Makes You Watch Phil's Content?

For me it's mainly 3 things (no particular order):

• Experiencing Story driven games (for example the Wolf among us and Game of Thrones) through the eyes of a let's player. I prefer Phil to other let's players because his commentary is less hype-driven and obnoxious to me in comparison to other youtubers but still engaging enough to not get bored.
  • Watching competitive multiplayer matches like Street Fighter / Killer Instinct / Mortal Kombat because multiplayer is always more exciting than single player content
  • Hearing Phil's personal opinions on his vlog series "Ask the King" or the non-gaming related podcasts he does from time to time. He has a very different personality from mine but is very opinionated and even though I don't always agree with him I find his content quite interesting and entertaining in that regard.

I always enjoy Phil's sex jokes. He manages to be them not so offending and they are always a spot on. Sex jokes is Phil's trademark.

• Upvote 1

He's one of the few Youtubers that doesn't scream like a girl when he plays horror games.

Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, voice impressions making fun of game characters like in Kingdown Hearts.

When he reviews games you know he played the entire game because he posted the entire playthrough.

I have a lot of similar experiences from my childhood so I can relate to him.

I've probably said this before, watching him play is just like watching my friend play a single player game when it's his turn to play and he rages just like I did when I played a game for the first time. Playing the game is probabaly harder for him because he has to do commentary and play at the same time. When I played console games I really didn't talk much and I performed better because I was concentrating entirely on the game and nothing else. Phil is required to say stuff according to the fair use copyright law and thus loses some concentration on the game.

Another thing I've realised I appreciate, is that he shows cultural savviness.  He's heard of stuff, he recognises most tropes and stereotypes and references.

Whenever I feel like shit, I sometimes tune in to one of DSP's videos and it cheers me up right away.

Because even in my darkest days, I'm just glad I'm not DSP...

• Upvote 2

Whenever I feel the need to just listen to someone who is plain wrong, I watch a DSP video.

Feels good to be right.

​Nice attempt, but I can do better,

I watch Phil because his content is more effective than alcohol when it comes to killing brain cells.

• Upvote 1

Phil is the first youtuber I started watching in general! 

Another Awesome thing is that he finishes games pretty quickly, while covering alot as possible. I also like his commentary alot, he is very funny.

And to be very honest, I also DO like when he rages :D

The Random jokes, I just love being completely serious on watching one of his playthroughs then I just burst out laughing because of a joke he just came up with. The guy makes me laugh even when I had a bad day and cant find almost anything funny, sure he's not a god like player but neither am I. I can relate to what Phil does I just don't have the money or equipment to bring it to the internet myself. Phil took a risk when he went to the internet and he obviously has people who want to ridicule him on a daily basis because they have nothing else better to do. You know what I do when I get frustrated watching Phil get mad? Skip a minute or two on the video...go back to laughing and try to finish the playthrough and keep up on youtube. Sure he plays games that I don't wanna see, but not everybody wants to see the same game. So in a nutshell, The comedy and the fact that I can relate, keeps me watching DSP.

Since I started watching Phil in late 2011, I went from being a pretty constant fan to a somewhat neutral viewer. The drama surrounding him and his lack of ability to deal with said drama eventually drove me away. Despite that, I never desired to write him off completely. I still find myself going back every once and a while, more so in recent months.

He may not be the most skilled gamer out there, or the best with criticism, but I still find value in his content because:

1. He consistently plays nearly every major release and uploads playtroughs in a timely manner, as opposed to other let's players who are more selective with what they play and spread out their uploads months apart.
  2. His opinions and insight on games are still worthwhile, such as with his reviews and podcast. Even if I don't always agree with what he has to say, it never hurts to add one more opinion to the lot.
  3. He's independent. I know that may not amount to much for some people, but for those who have 0% trust for the mainstream gaming media, such as myself, content providers like Phil who have no obligations to anyone in particular are a valuable asset. Even if he isn't the best in that department: (like I said) it never hurts to have one more voice to listen to.
  4. Despite all of his obvious flaws, I don't believe that he's a bad person, and I wholeheartedly believe that he has a passion for gaming and loves what he does.

All in all, he may not be the most loved guy on the internet, or my #1 pick for gaming content nowadays, but I don't think he's the monster people make him out to be. Really, there are far worse people in the gaming industry and press than Phil, who's just some guy playing games in his home and uploading them to YT. There's still some value left in his content and potential to improve if you care to look for it.

• Upvote 2

On 1/19/2015 at 9:44 PM, KGhaleon said:

A Deryu topic.

Nothing is "making me" watch DSP, I watch his content because he's an entertaining and fun guy. I only watch youtubers for commentary anyway so how well they play a game isn't really a factor for me nor is the quality. I'm fine with just watching stuff at 360p and just running them in the background so I can listen while playing a game. WIP, Hate Live and Ask the king are great for that or if I need something to listen to on the way to work or during lunch.

You need to look up the definition of fun and entertaining. Not a good idea to kill your braincells before work.