The King of Hate Forums
DeepClearEyes

About starting streams "on time"

So this last week Phil has made a better effort to start streams at the actual advertised times, instead of showing up fashionably late. While he's patting himself on the back for saying he went a whole week showing up on time, I don't think the definition of "on time" is very clear.

Typically what happens is that Phil starts playing the slideshow and music around 12:30, maybe a few minutes before, and then continues to play the slideshow for 15-20 minutes. Then he finally gets on the mic and starts his pre-stream, which is another 10-15 minutes, and thus the actual gameplay STILL isn't starting until around 1:00.

I realize that Phil likes doing his pre-streams, and is unlikely to cut those out entirely or do them before the 12:30 start time when there's no indication of how long it's going to go. Ok fine, then can we at least have the actual pre-stream talk start at the advertised time? If you want to run the slideshow/music for 15 minutes, start that up at 12:15. Makes sense, right?

The reasons given for the long delay in running the slideshow are that he "wants stream numbers to have some time to grow", and for the last week it was because "people haven't gotten used to the stream starting on time". Okay well it's been a week so the second part shouldn't apply anymore. But to the first part I have something to bring up that Phil touched on once about youtube streaming - you can rewind the stream as long as it's active. Thus if someone shows up half an hour late and wants to catch the beginning of the stream, they can rewind to the beginning and watch from there. Besides, if streaming is still "fanservice", why worry so much about stream numbers? Just start the stream and if people show up late, that's their own fault, they still have the option to rewind the stream if they want to catch the beginning.

It's great that Phil is doing something to address this issue, but it's just a tiny bit farther to go to start things on what most people would consider to be "on time".

• Upvote 8

would be great if we could get the statistics for the past month.

example : tuesday the 23d, 19 minutes late etc

it would be very interesting to see that because i have no idea.

it would be more interesting to see how many of those days he actually started on time, 5 minute late max.

Did he really pat himself on the back for being 'on time' for a week?  In any other 'business' being on time isn't a good thing, it's what you have to do to keep employed and it is what is expected from you.

Maybe stop watching crappy movies till the small hours and wake up at a reasonable time like us normal people.

​Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHL-sv-hbM#t=3m30s

Everyone is late. Even professional games like football start late. Give the man a break. He's been doing this since 2008

​ok there is a huge difference between getting a football game set up and setting up a stream. It isnt that hard for him to be one time shit i could do what he does no problem and be on time.

The only thing I don't like is it's only a 3 hour stream and it has 3 breaks in-between it. The Lack of Game play Footage from Phil is Disappointing compared to a few years ago. 

Everyone is late. Even professional games like football start late. Give the man a break. He's been doing this since 2008

​Everyone is late....occasionally. No one is late every single day, except Phil. Before you spout the, "But he has his own business, so he has that right", Phil established a sense of accountability with his viewers when he created a streaming schedule. He tells his viewers that he will be there at a certain time yet fails consistently. Then instead of changing the time to something that suits him more comfortably he called his viewers whiny self entitled children. How hard is it to walk a couple feet to your "office"?

• Upvote 2

​That sounds like a great excuse to tell your boss if you show up late to work. "I'm half an hour late? So what, football games don't start on time!"

would be great if we could get the statistics for the past month.

example : tuesday the 23d, 19 minutes late etc

it would be very interesting to see that because i have no idea.

it would be more interesting to see how many of those days he actually started on time, 5 minute late max.

I don't know if anybody keeps track of these things, you can kinda guess when Phil's stream goes "live" if you check the date on old tweets, but even then you don't really know the exact time the actual pre-stream starts, and then when gameplay begins, etc.

But let's use today as an example. Dragon Age Inquisition stream for January 19th, 2015.

Stream goes live with slideshow/music: 12:28 PM

Phil gets on mic for pre-stream: 12:48 PM (20 minutes and 42 seconds according to youtube)

Actual gameplay starts: 12:58 PM (30 minutes and 17 seconds in)

See the problem here? The actual start time of a stream should not consist of a music/fanart slideshow. If you're going to run a slideshow for 20 minutes, then start the stream at 12:10. Then start the pre-stream talk at 12:30. Although this would mean actual gameplay wouldn't start until 12:40, it's still a lot closer to the actual advertised start time. Although I have the feeling this isn't going to happen since even Phil fully admitted in today's pre-stream that he's just stalling waiting for more people to join. Again, this should not be an issue when people who are late to the stream have the ability to rewind.

• Upvote 1

Phil needs to start being on time, it doesn't look good for him since he posts a schedule for people only to be 30 mins late. Like Freshprizzle said Phil could literally be in his pajamas doing his job and we would never know. If Phil really wants to keep his prestreams why not just start half an hour earlier that way his stream is set up and ready to go once its time to start gameplay. 

Its really important Phil is consistent with his schedule or else he's only going to end up losing trust in his viewers.

• Upvote 2

But let's use today as an example. Dragon Age Inquisition stream for January 19th, 2015.

Stream goes live with slideshow/music: 12:28 PM

Phil gets on mic for pre-stream: 12:48 PM (20 minutes and 42 seconds according to youtube)

Actual gameplay starts: 12:58 PM (30 minutes and 17 seconds in)

See the problem here? The actual start time of a stream should not consist of a music/fanart slideshow. If you're going to run a slideshow for 20 minutes, then start the stream at 12:10. Then start the pre-stream talk at 12:30. Although this would mean actual gameplay wouldn't start until 12:40, it's still a lot closer to the actual advertised start time. Although I have the feeling this isn't going to happen since even Phil fully admitted in today's pre-stream that he's just stalling waiting for more people to join. Again, this should not be an issue when people who are late to the stream have the ability to rewind.

​he waits for more people as more and more people leave from him taking so long

20 minutes is indeed too long but i d expect someone on the sok to be keeping tabs on him, to prove usefull telling us the prehistory, the stats.

saying he ll start at 12.00 and starting 12.20 is just direspektfull.

but if he says in his timetable, "start time: after 12" i guess he is excused. but at the same time "starting after 12" is pretty vage for a profesional streamer.

i sence a lack of discipline in phil, a red thread running through out his life story.

Maybe he pads the beginning of the stream in case it's the viewers that are late.  Ever booked a cinema ticket and then been on a frantic rush to get there in time, but then you remember you'll probably be alright because the trailers will run for a while?

• Upvote 1

Maybe he pads the beginning of the stream in case it's the viewers that are late.  Ever booked a cinema ticket and then been on a frantic rush to get there in time, but then you remember you'll probably be alright because the trailers will run for a while?

​Do not try too hard to defend him. It is your fault for being late. every bit of the stream will be uploaded on youtube, you won't miss anything. 

​thats really no excuse, everyone knows he is going to be talking about who knows what for who knows how long.

plus, if he is exact with his timetable, after 2-3 streams everyone will no they must be promt or the stream will start without them.

as it is now, i believe most think "ok he said 12, that means 12.30-12.40, depending on how much he talks in the prestream. i ll tune in at 12.50 so i can give him some time to get in the flow of the game"

at least that is what id do.

​Again this is different. You cant rewind a movie in the cinema but you cant rewind his stream. So the is no excuses to him being late. 

​Do not try too hard to defend him. It is your fault for being late. every bit of the stream will be uploaded on youtube, you won't miss anything. 

Don't try too hard to attack me.  I asked a rhetorical question, I never said anything about my own habits, or even whether I'm okay with his lateness or not.  I'm simply observing that if you have viewership in the hundreds (which is more than most cinema screenings) you're going to have people who are late, and it's easier to be late yourself than count on that many people being on time.  Running the fan-art for a while allows viewership to build, and that might be the reason he does it.

As to what my feelings on the matter are, I think inconsistency is more annoying than lateness.  If he consistently put the fan-art up on time and was consistently on the mic a fixed time after that, I'd be alright with that arrangement.

​ Again this is different. You cant rewind a movie in the cinema but you cant rewind his stream. So the is no excuses to him being late. 

​True, but rewinding desyncs you from the chat.

Don't try too hard to attack me.  I asked a rhetorical question, I never said anything about my own habits, or even whether I'm okay with his lateness or not.  I'm simply observing that if you have viewership in the hundreds (which is more than most cinema screenings) you're going to have people who are late, and it's easier to be late yourself than count on that many people being on time.  Running the fan-art for a while allows viewership to build, and that might be the reason he does it.

As to what my feelings on the matter are, I think inconsistency is more annoying than lateness.  If he consistently put the fan-art up on time and was consistently on the mic a fixed time after that, I'd be alright with that arrangement.

​Ok if i ran a stream i would be on time if people are late then they are late. Running fan art is fine he can do it for a bit but starting the pre stream at 12:30 when he said 12 makes people leave as well just start and people will show. Also that is that persons problem watch what you missed on youtube not like that many people chat anyways but W.E

​It is funny how you do not notice that you are lowering your standards, when it comes to phil... Like srsly being late at 32?

​Ok if i ran a stream i would be on time if people are late then they are late. Running fan art is fine he can do it for a bit but starting the pre stream at 12:30 when he said 12 makes people leave as well just start and people will show. Also that is that persons problem watch what you missed on youtube not like that many people chat anyways but W.E

​True.  Too late (and he has often been) is bad, but starting immediately is unforgiving.  Some people who are fussy about punctuality may not like this, but think there should be a little leeway for people to be 5 or 10 minutes late.

Really, I'm not suggesting he deviate from the time as written, but that there is a subtext to be read: the stream starts at X, not the content.  Then if he's reliably present always at a certain time after X (say 15 minutes) I'd be alright with that.  If it is unpredictable and always changing, then that's not cool.

​It is funny how you do not notice that you are lowering your standards, when it comes to phil... Like srsly being late at 32?

I'm referring to my standard for what I'm okay with, not my standard for perfection.  If he wants to go above and beyond what my minimum expectations are then great.

​thats really no excuse, everyone knows he is going to be talking about who knows what for who knows how long.

plus, if he is exact with his timetable, after 2-3 streams everyone will no they must be promt or the stream will start without them.

as it is now, i believe most think "ok he said 12, that means 12.30-12.40, depending on how much he talks in the prestream. i ll tune in at 12.50 so i can give him some time to get in the flow of the game"

at least that is what id do.

​You know, there are probably people at the cinema who get there on the dot and think "why hasn't the movie started!?  Why are we waiting for these bozos?  They should have been on time!  Forget them!"

I think it's a matter of upbringing and preference, really.  I'm fairly tolerant of lateness.  It's inconsistency I don't like, and in a way we're on the same page on that front, since you say "after 2-3 streams they'll know"--well, after 2-3 streams of Phil being late by a fixed time, we'll know, won't we?

I'm OK with it being done the other way though, in case I gave the impression I wasn't.

This is why I suggested on another thread that he get rid of the schedule and just do the streams when he can.  Some times having to start something at the same time everyday can get difficult.

• Upvote 1

Okay, hid a bunch of off-topic or insulting posts but was pretty lenient with warnings. So play nice.

I've openly admitted that since Christmas I've been doing a bad job of being on time for streams. It's been a variety of reasons that aren't worth discussing here as they're in the past. I do agree that it's annoying when I advertise starting at a certain time and I'm late. In the past I used the excuse "it's just fanservice" and quite honestly, it still is. But I do agree that it's an annoyance, and you have a right to complain about it.

For the past week I've been "on time" for streams. What does that mean? It means the streams began at and/or before the advertised time. Not GAMEPLAY, not prestream, but JUST the stream. People expecting anything other than that, well, honestly did it to themselves as it wasn't what was promised.

Now some people in this thread are making a case that if I say I'm going to start at a certain time, that GAMEPLAY should start at that time. OKAY - but understand that my gameplay sessions are divided up as they are for a reason. So if you want gameplay to start "on time" then I'll say the stream starts at 4pm, turn on the stream at 3:30pm, prestream at 3:45 etc. I'm perfectly okay with that, but people will have to get used to it.

In addition, I saw the statement "Phil is currently only streaming 3 hours of gameplay a day, i miss the days when it was way more." That's only been the case for the month of January, as I've been working on year-end series for the second half of the day. Previously I was recording, on average, 5-6 hours of gameplay a day and uploading ALL of it to DSPGaming. Keep in mind - this is a REDUCTION as I used to record anywhere from 8-10 hours of gameplay a day back in 2011-2013, but received so many complaints that "it's too much gameplay for use to handle" that I significantly reduced it. So I don't understand the complaints.

You can't have it both ways: either I stream/play games all day long, or I work on edited series. Most people have been giving me feedback that viewers are moving away from full-scale playthroughs and want more edited footage/montages. This is going to be a focus of mine this year based directly on viewer feedback. SO if you wanted 8+ hours of gameplay daily like long in the past, I'm not sure why so many asked for the exact opposite?

Anyway, please continue now that I've responded.

• Upvote 2

Nice to see you are changing your focus to a more edited kind of content. I think most people would be happy with 4 hours of  footage a day.  :smile:

One thing you learn from the internet is that you can't please everybody.