The King of Hate Forums
GK1138

CIVILIZED Debate About DSP

Since the last topic got closed because Mashinka decided to accuse Phil of having a dark childhood, I wanted to start up a new thread because I felt that original thread had really good posts until Mashinka went off about Phil's "past". This thread should simply focus on constructive criticism for Phil and recommendations on how to improve, this is NOT a thread to speculate about his personal life. 

• Upvote 3

I agree and ask that if anyone sees people derailing productive threads like that with utter nonsense, please flag their posts for moderation. This will allow the threads to be moderated before they get derailed for multiple pages and eventually get closed. Thanks.

​You could have just deleted all of the derailed posts instead of closing the thread but too little, too late. 

​It appears that every time I log into these forums, there is yet another criticism/debate thread. Locking these threads is pointless, as the cycle repeats itself minutes later. As much as a pain as it may be, the posts have to just be moderated accordingly. Locking threads only snowballs this mess into a larger one. I'm about to give up with these "criticism" posts, as this site is saturated enough with them as it is. 

​It appears that every time I log into these forums, there is yet another criticism/debate thread. Locking these threads is pointless, as the cycle repeats itself minutes later. As much as a pain as it may be, the posts have to just be moderated accordingly. Locking threads only snowballs this mess into a larger one. I'm about to give up with these "criticism" posts, as this site is saturated enough with them as it is. 

​Pretty much, but closing the thread down is a bit of an extreme measure. It's best to just keep watch of people who derail topics often.

​Pretty much, but closing the thread down is a bit of an extreme measure. It's best to just keep watch of people who derail topics often.

​It's a never ending story pretty much.

*Sighs*

Looks like its back to the drawing board again...

Well anyway trying to think of something that won't draw another lock down, cause I am sure everyone around here is annoyed by what's been going around lately. So can everyone just get along instead of trying to tear each other apart?

Funny enough, I really didn't post much in the last few threads because either people brought out great points (Some criticizing of Phil, some defending Phil) or were looking for a fight. So I stayed out of that one. :laugh:

Anyway one of the criticism I've seen was that "Phil burps, makes raciest/sexual jokes, or does this particular thing too much."

Not sure about the burping, some people might be disgusted with it, but I am not too bothered with it. I can understand the Raciest/sexual jokes if they are overused. Though if Phil can find moments where using that kind of humor is appropriate then he should go fire ahead. Nothing wrong with that kind of vulgar humor in my opinion as long as its done in good taste.

Looking forward to all the things coming this week.

• Upvote 1

Can i just say this is being tiring close a thread and someone makes a new one what is that point. Ill have to think of new things or just bring over more stuff from the last like 3 ones. I guess one thing would be he needs relax more and talk to people instead of just blocking them. 

• Upvote 1

Can i just say this is being tiring close a thread and someone makes a new one what is that point. Ill have to think of new things or just bring over more stuff from the last like 3 ones. 

​Seriously. Just let the mods do their jobs and delete the dumb posts while leaving the topic there. This just clutters up the board more and people get annoyed at seeing a topic locked that they had some good posts in all because a few people wanted to be dumb.

And if Mashinko or whatever his name is pulls that again, he should be gone. The guy has like 300 posts already, it's obvious he just wants to spam posts about anything that pops into his brain just to get his post count up. Don't let him constantly derail threads with stupid posts. Give him warnings. I've noticed multiple posters with hundreds upon hundreds of posts already are like that. It's one thing to be into the board and wanting to be an active part of the community with good posts. It's another thing to just spam nonsense all day. Or to have hundreds of posts consisting of calling for the mods and/or talking about the SoK like someone here does.

Mashinko seems fine to me, though his spelling sucks. If english isn't his primary language we shouldn't be judging him for it. Just leave the dude alone.

Can I respond to the "racist humor" stuff? Because I do see people bring it up often and I'd like to address it.

I am not racist nor do I judge anyone based on physical appearance, mannerism or sex CONSCIOUSLY (there will always be subconscious things you can't really help). I've always called myself and equal-opportunity jokester and you will hear me make fun of everyone - Asians, Rednecks, Middle-Easterners, Indians, Native Americans, British, French, Italians, Europeans, Mexicans etc. - in a joking manner. I never mean it and, being a part of the Street Fighter community for so long, I had TONS of friends/rivals from all races, creeds and sexual orientations. I never judged someone by that.

There will always be people who find this kind of humor offensive. Just like there will always be people who find ANYTHING touching the subjects of religion, politics, etc. offensive. Those people will never be swayed one way or the other, and that's okay. The bottom line is, I'm FAR from a G-rated person and I will make funny jokes/observations/impressions if I find it humorous at the time. Some may say that some go over the line (when I impersonated a Nazi character from the Howard Stern show some FOUR years ago now, for example), but for the MOST part I'd like to think that I do it in a fair manner that isn't meant to offend.

It would be one thing if you could bring up a running pattern of me making life judgments and incredibly unfair/racist tirades that form a history/pattern of race discrimination, but for the life of me in the 6 years I've been doing this on YouTube, I can't think of ONE time I actually did something in a non-joking manner based on race. So...I don't understand how anyone, unless they were trying to slander me, could say I was "racist" without any kind of concrete proof.

My advice to you is, if you don't like racial-style humor, I'm probably not for you. It won't come up ALL the time but it WILL come up, and you WILL probably be offended if it bothers you. But the vast majority of people who've watched my content have never said I was racist nor accused me of it, because they know it's all in jest.

That's my two cents, anyway.

• Upvote 7

Mashinko seems fine to me, though his spelling sucks. If english isn't his primary language we shouldn't be judging him for it. Just leave the dude alone.

​did you see what he posted last time it was a little far dude

​You didn't see the posts he was making that closed the last thread if you're saying that

Can I respond to the "racist humor" stuff? Because I do see people bring it up often and I'd like to address it.

I am not racist

​Just gonna post this again, as I see people repeatedly bring that up:
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHk61MaoeNc

Phil isn't racist, sexist, a bigot or anything else for that matter. It's a dead topic.

I am not racist nor do I judge anyone based on physical appearance, mannerism or sex CONSCIOUSLY (there will always be subconscious things you can't really help). I've always called myself and equal-opportunity jokester and you will hear me make fun of everyone - Asians, Rednecks, Middle-Easterners, Indians, Native Americans, British, French, Italians, Europeans, Mexicans etc. - in a joking manner. I never mean it and, being a part of the Street Fighter community for so long, I had TONS of friends/rivals from all races, creeds and sexual orientations. I never judged someone by that.

There will always be people who find this kind of humor offensive. Just like there will always be people who find ANYTHING touching the subjects of religion, politics, etc. offensive. Those people will never be swayed one way or the other, and that's okay. The bottom line is, I'm FAR from a G-rated person and I will make funny jokes/observations/impressions if I find it humorous at the time. Some may say that some go over the line (when I impersonated a Nazi character from the Howard Stern show some FOUR years ago now, for example), but for the MOST part I'd like to think that I do it in a fair manner that isn't meant to offend.

It would be one thing if you could bring up a running pattern of me making life judgments and incredibly unfair/racist tirades that form a history/pattern of race discrimination, but for the life of me in the 6 years I've been doing this on YouTube, I can't think of ONE time I actually did something in a non-joking manner based on race. So...I don't understand how anyone, unless they were trying to slander me, could say I was "racist" without any kind of concrete proof.

My advice to you is, if you don't like racial-style humor, I'm probably not for you. It won't come up ALL the time but it WILL come up, and you WILL probably be offended if it bothers you. But the vast majority of people who've watched my content have never said I was racist nor accused me of it, because they know it's all in jest.

That's my two cents, anyway.

​I agree its just jokes but a lot of people dont like when other people talk about their race. Like me i use to be bullied for being black so i dont find those jokes funny unless its from a close friend. Its just something that people have a problem there are some words you should never say its offence where its a joke or not. You have to watch what you say. Im not saying never make jokes like that you should just think about it. If you wouldnt say a black joke to a group of black guys then dont make the jokes jut my two cents. I would rather have religion and politic jokes. 

• Upvote 2

​Just gonna post this again, as I see people repeatedly bring that up:1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHk61MaoeNc

Phil isn't racist, sexist, a bigot or anything else for that matter. It's a dead topic.

​I already know that, some of those jokes can be rather funny if executed properly. My only complaint would be is if he uses them too often, making it redundant. People should take Phil's sense of humor with a grain of salt. 

​I like to make racist jokes at times as well and I'm not racist but there is a fine line when to make these types of jokes. If you are trying to be professional and you are making these jokes, then your audience is going to have problems with your jokes and say that you're a racist. 

• Upvote 1

You don't really have to be a racist to say something racist.  That kind of stuff has a time and place and execution is everything on such a touchy subject.  The Chinese "impression" during MGS1  isn't a very good example of this being done properly.  I think the real issue here is target audience.  If you're much older than 16, you probably didn't find the MGS1 stuff very funny, but I would argue that those videos weren't really directed at you.  

That's my two cents, anyway.​

For me at least (and I have seen other people make this clarification), it's not me saying "HOW DARE YOU MAKE RACIST/SEXIST JOKES HUR DUR", it's a matter of the QUALITY of them. You used to be good at this kind of humor and restricted it to absurd moments in games. Nowadays, it comes off as forced and really inappropriate for what game you're playing. For instance, that humor makes sense in a GTA playthrough because those games are filled with that kind of humor, but making sexual jokes about characters in Kingdom Hearts feels forced and can make people uncomfortable given the subject matter of the game. 

• Upvote 3

For me at least (and I have seen other people make this clarification), it's not me saying "HOW DARE YOU MAKE RACIST/SEXIST JOKES HUR DUR", it's a matter of the QUALITY of them. You used to be good at this kind of humor and restricted it to absurd moments in games. Nowadays, it comes off as forced and really inappropriate for what game you're playing. For instance, that humor makes sense in a GTA playthrough because those games are filled with that kind of humor, but making sexual jokes about characters in Kingdom Hearts feels forced and can make people uncomfortable given the subject matter of the game. 

​This is definitely the case, as well as the fact that more and more often, your humor has devolved into simply describing what's on screen and then maybe shouting "titties" at it. There's no banter or riffing between you and the game. Observational humor should still occasionally have a punchline.

• Upvote 1

​This is definitely the case, as well as the fact that more and more often, your humor has devolved into simply describing what's on screen and then maybe shouting "titties" at it. There's no banter or riffing between you and the game. Observational humor should still occasionally have a punchline.​

I think most of us can agree that Phil isn't actually racist or sexist, it's just he needs better judgement when it comes to when he makes those jokes and what the jokes are.

​This is definitely the case, as well as the fact that more and more often, your humor has devolved into simply describing what's on screen and then maybe shouting "titties" at it. There's no banter or riffing between you and the game. Observational humor should still occasionally have a punchline.

​After 40 hours of the same game, what's left to say?  I'm not defending the humor mind you, I'm just curious.

​After 40 hours of the same game, what's left to say?  I'm not defending the humor mind you, I'm just curious.

​DSP probably shouldn't play some of the games he does for 40h, because it's clear he dislikes/hates them.

That aside, just because it's tedious doesn't give Phil a free pass to say whatever he wants and get off scot-free. 

• Upvote 1

​After 40 hours of the same game, what's left to say?  I'm not defending the humor mind you, I'm just curious.​

This would be a good point if we were talking about a multiplayer only game. The issue is that the majority of his playthroughs have some kind of narrative to them, so there is a story that progresses in every playthrough. Games are dynamic in nature, they're rarely the same experience for forty hours straight (SOMETHING crazy/stupid is bound to happen for Phil to riff). 

​DSP probably shouldn't play some of the games he does for 40h, because it's clear he dislikes/hates them.

That aside, just because it's tedious doesn't give Phil a free pass to say whatever he wants and get off scot-free. 

​I think its just difficult to commentate over a single player game.  Everything in the game is already spelled out for you.  Multiplayer stuff isn't as scripted and the reactions would probably be a bit more realistic.

​I think its just difficult to commentate over a single player game.  Everything in the game is already spelled out for you.  Multiplayer stuff isn't as scripted and the reactions would probably be a bit more realistic.

​I dont find it that hard to commentate of a single player game.