The King of Hate Forums
BrightSideViking

The Atlus copyright whatever

I just find it so sad that Atlus would do this to Phil. I can see absolutely no reason for it. 
I see some people claim it could be because he have said some things that would critique their policy against let's players. And I can remember a fan art that was a bit derogatory. But they are a company that is supposed to be professional. They are not supposed to hold grudges over bullshit. 

And another thing. I see some people almost celebrating what has happened. Who in the fuck has anything to gain out of a gaming company going after a streamer for copyright reasons? 
If you think that is a good think you have lost the fucking plot. 
If  this sticks Atlus have done something that in the long run can be bad for all Lets Players. Even if you don't like DSP this is not the route you want to  go. 
I don't know if some people get this. But Phil isn't that extraordinary in a let's play sense. What affects him will affect others as well. 

I don't know if you agree with me. But to me it seem clear cut that this is a sad thing to have happened. 

• Upvote 1

This dude could move back into a small condo and he'd be able to continue doing youtube stuff for years. Those people really have nothing to win in this, and likely won't ever "beat" DSP.

It's funny though that they waste their free time on this stuff. I'll just laugh while I sit here playing fun games and watching pony cartoons. The jokes on them.

It'd be nice if this discussion could actually be about the topic at hand, and not about the reaction of the same idiots who react to everything the same way: negatively.

My video on the subject:

• Upvote 1

Havent watch the vid yet will watch later, but have u tried contacting atlus professionally via email yet? 

A monster hunter channel i followed got id claimed from doing mh e3 news cover. He contacted them if they could consider whitelisting him and he succeeded. It just might be an automated system messing up.

Just be professional in ur wording tho. This is important.

Ps: other channels doing p5 that i watched doesnt seem to have any problem

1 hour ago, Mugumogu said:

Havent watch the vid yet will watch later, but have u tried contacting atlus professionally via email yet? 

A monster hunter channel i followed got id claimed from doing mh e3 news cover. He contacted them if they could consider whitelisting him and he succeeded. It just might be an automated system messing up.

Just be professional in ur wording tho. This is important.

Ps: other channels doing p5 that i watched doesnt seem to have any problem

It's classified as a manual match, not an automated one, in the notification stating that it was a full copyright strike. But it says "Atlus CO., Ltd." which I believe is the parent company, not the US division, so it could be a misunderstanding (I hope). FYI I just found their PR email for English speakers and sent them a very professional request to remove the strike.

44 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Just dispute the claims and move on.

Did that almost immediately, but you have to understand, yet again I may lose my MCN partnership and be unable to pay my bills. I can't sell this house in a matter of days/weeks. So this is quite an awful situation.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Did that almost immediately, but you have to understand, yet again I may lose my MCN partnership and be unable to pay my bills. I can't sell this house in a matter of days/weeks. So this is quite an awful situation.

Don't stay up late worrying about it and get sick again, there's really nothing you can do except wait for them to respond and that could be a few days or more. For all anyone knows, they may just say it was a mistake and drop it.

That would be the ideal situation for you, that is.

Also I doubt Curse will drop someone just for having a copyright strike. Even the best people on youtube get copyright strikes from time to time, and there's plenty of false ones out there.

From what I can gather. There have been absolutely no talk about any copyright strikes from Atlus other then to DSP. 
They seem more keen on marketing persona 5 merchandise. And no warnings have been issued. Last time they seem to  have even mentioned it was when they loosened the restrictions last time. The reason all the negative publicity that came with it. And after that point in time it does not seem like there  have been very little of it from their side. 

The whole thing doesn't add up. Why two completely random small parts of a playthrough that have been going on for so long. Why DSP and why now? 
There have been many people streaming this game and as far as I  can tell only DSP have been hit. 
What possible reason would Atlus have to do such a thing? Their goal with the restrictions in the first place was to prevent spoilers. Was Phil supposed to have spoiled something that isn't already indexed in some game guide? 
No, I don't see anything Atlus could benefit from doing this. 
There have been no controversy related to streaming, or making let's plays of the game since they changed their policy on it. The game have also been selling really good. 
So they would have no reason to question the marketing, or something that should be a threat to their sales. 
I can't come to any other conclusion then that they didn't have anything to do with it at all. 
Someone must have found some loophole, or exploit with youtubes copyright system. With only one intention in mind. To hit Phil as hard as possible. 
This has also happened in the past. 
One thing I found interesting is that the takedown order is from Atlus co, ldt which refers to the Japanese branch of the company. Atlus USA would be Atlus U.S.A., Inc.,
I think this will be quickly resolved. Because this have to be impersonation. 
That is the least incredible explanation. 

Copyright is so insane at times. A friend of mine did these mock game reviews years ago on youtube. He was discussing Max Payne (one of the games) and anyhow he got a copyright strike from that (the game folks did it ) and they actually took down his channel. It was pretty funny then as he pm'd me to tell me , dude my channel was taken down over me discussing this game . Since he wasn't a big youtuber he didn't care and just created another channel. But as he joked , copyright can really suck at times.  

Jim Sterling has long discussed copyright and how he's had Nintendo and others copyright claim at the drop of a hat. He comically has done a funny thing to combat that situation. But yeah , its just a weird as hell situation to see play out as usual. Youtube needs to fix the whole copyright strike situation. 

Also given that there is 2 parts of Atlus , if they are like a Nintendo then I don't expect them to drop the strike. Because Nintendo has 2 sides as well and for years its claimed the American part of them has tried to convince them to lesson up on how they approach the online streaming community.

3 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Don't stay up late worrying about it and get sick again, there's really nothing you can do except wait for them to respond and that could be a few days or more. For all anyone knows, they may just say it was a mistake and drop it.

That would be the ideal situation for you, that is.

Also I doubt Curse will drop someone just for having a copyright strike. Even the best people on youtube get copyright strikes from time to time, and there's plenty of false ones out there.

Nope.  Curse has it in the ToS  that if you get 1 strike, you're gone.  This was also a manual strike, not an automated one.  And since they didn't drop the last strike against Phil, doubt they will now.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cofax said:

Nope.  Curse has it in the ToS  that if you get 1 strike, you're gone.  This was also a manual strike, not an automated one.  And since they didn't drop the last strike against Phil, doubt they will now.

well, that's sound very bad. 

Someone told me on my FB that Atlus has also according to twitter replies , given copyright strikes to smaller youtubers as well. So they seem to be out there doing this. Also didn't they have strict rules about game play before this streaming wise ? 

Did some quick research as I was curious about this. Looks like someone else was hit about a week ago, no clue what his videos were covering:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/6h3nva/can_a_private_video_get_a_copyright_strike/

He has images of the strike wording. Unfortunately he's not given an update on his strike situation since.

More people report of strikes starting about 8 days ago:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/6h39sa/atlus_starts_issuing_copyright_strikes/

Unfortunately, again no word on if they got those strikes lifted.

You may want to hit up their Twitter. Yes it's the American one but they could get you pointed in the right direction. You may even hit up some of the gaming news sites. Since it looks like others were hit, it could be worthwhile for them to cover as they know they'll get those sweet, sweet clicks for Atlus going back on the "No strikes" thing.

1 hour ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Did some quick research as I was curious about this. Looks like someone else was hit about a week ago, no clue what his videos were covering:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/6h3nva/can_a_private_video_get_a_copyright_strike/

He has images of the strike wording. Unfortunately he's not given an update on his strike situation since.

More people report of strikes starting about 8 days ago:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/6h39sa/atlus_starts_issuing_copyright_strikes/

Unfortunately, again no word on if they got those strikes lifted.

You may want to hit up their Twitter. Yes it's the American one but they could get you pointed in the right direction. You may even hit up some of the gaming news sites. Since it looks like others were hit, it could be worthwhile for them to cover as they know they'll get those sweet, sweet clicks for Atlus going back on the "No strikes" thing.

When Atlus gives a strike, it's the Japanese half that's doing it.  Their strikes will stick, as the appeal process is worthless when dealing with Japanese companies.  Speaking prematurely here but I think Phil's gone when Curse sees this. 

Edited by Cofax

Now let me add my two cents, before somebody gets triggered and bans me, as to why a company like Atlus may go and give a strike to a channel like phil. Before we go into as to why gaming companies give out strikes, we have to look at phill's overall playthrough of Persona 5 and almost all of his playthroughs in general. What do we notice? He constantly berates both the game and developers of the game in which he is covering. From a business point of view, nobody wants to be advertised by a small youtuber, specifically like phil (the reasons can be endless), and have their product being slandered. Phil can't say he did nothing wrong if he actually did 'something' by slandering both Atlus developers and their game constantly during his playthrough. I wouldn't doubt if one of the Atlus staff actually saw a few of phil's video and basically said "we don't want this baseless and negative slandering on our product". From a business standpoint and taking into account phil's constant slandering of multiple games and developers, combined with phil's past acts, phil is a toxic entity for advertisement in general. That's the cold hard truth. Now, you can't say a developer does not have the right to send copyright strikes when they are the content creator. While playthroughs are a form of advertisement, youtubers are making a profit from the finished product of game developers, and from a legal standpoint of view, playthroughs are a subtle form of Piracy. When game developers produce games, those games are meant to be sold and played at home, not streamed on youtube or twitch regardless of whether you put commentary over the video.Developers also pay real and legal advertisers when they wan't their product to be seen by the public. There is also a reason why the 'advertisement' argument doesn't hold any ground when it's related to movies and that reason is of course really simple. The finished product is intended solely for private consumption.

Edited by ygrabskiy1998

I don't understand why they would do the copyright shit if you didn't go past the "forbidden" date which is 11/19. The following is from their blog. 

"Because we want to give players the most access to the game while respecting the original goal, we’re now asking players to refrain from streaming or posting video past the end of the in-game date of 11/19—when the main story gears up for the final act."

http://atlus.com/update-persona-5-streaming/

They did not mention anywhere else that severe consequences would affect people for streaming anything else.

1 minute ago, GuessWhat said:

I don't understand why they would do the copyright shit if you didn't go past the "forbidden" date which is 11/19. The following is from their blog. 

"Because we want to give players the most access to the game while respecting the original goal, we’re now asking players to refrain from streaming or posting video past the end of the in-game date of 11/19—when the main story gears up for the final act."

They did not mention anywhere else that severe consequences would affect people for streaming anything else.

it's simple, some gaming developers don't want DSPGaming associated with their product. Especially if phil constantly berates and slanders them

1 minute ago, GuessWhat said:

The other guidelines from the original post still apply. I honestly think it's as simple as Atlus considers the persona fusions to be spoilers, that's what makes the most sense to me. The videos show nothing but persona fusions, so they spoil what all the fusions are and how to get high level personas through the fusions. There's that and the guidelines put out specifically said videos and streams should focus on city exploration and dungeon crawling. Those videos had none of that. No malicious intent. No mistake. No lies. 

He's a screenshot and the link for reference. http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

Screenshot_2017-06-23-11-01-30.thumb.png.dd354dc972bafe4e3b286d4af78b64a9.png

12 minutes ago, TheWillOfDarkseid said:

The other guidelines from the original post still apply. I honestly think it's as simple as Atlus considers the persona fusions to be spoilers, that's what makes the most sense to me. The videos show nothing but persona fusions, so they spoil what all the fusions are and how to get high level personas through the fusions. There's that and the guidelines put out specifically said videos and streams should focus on city exploration and dungeon crawling. Those videos had none of that. No malicious intent. No mistake. No lies. 

He's a screenshot and the link for reference. http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

Screenshot_2017-06-23-11-01-30.thumb.png.dd354dc972bafe4e3b286d4af78b64a9.png

Fair enough, so I am guessing person fusions == animated scenes. If not, how is the Let's player supposed to know that doing fusions were off limits?

I just looked on youtube, and there are videos with people doing fusion tutorials, so I don't know what is going on there. I am starting to think it was just a mistake.

Edited by GuessWhat

1 hour ago, Cofax said:

When Atlus gives a strike, it's the Japanese half that's doing it.  Their strikes will stick, as the appeal process is worthless when dealing with Japanese companies.  Speaking prematurely here but I think Phil's gone when Curse sees this. 

What is funny is that I have done some extensive research. And when the Japanese Atlus people take down a video They do it with "Atlustube"  It's their Japanese youtube channel. I managed to find that "Atlus Co. , Ltd." Some other places as well. But it had only taken down some of the most obscure shit you could dream of. And it's a little more then a week ago. 
It was on some video with a on a channel with around 400 subs. With all the videos out there I find that very odd. 
Also the videos they took down from DSP doesn't add up. 
I almost feel you are part of it Cofax. Because I searched around and have read for hours. And you seem too confident.  And say it's not worth pursuing. 
Whatever the case might be. if it  is fake it is very sophisticated. 
But I am sure it can be done if you register a company under the name "AtIus Ltd" that is atius with a capital I you could pull something like this off. 
There might even be an easier way. 
The real issue is that there is really something about this I can't get to seem logical.  
One thing is of course that trolls think people actually care about Phil like they do, but of course most people haven't heard of the guy. And especially in Japan. 
"nandeska darksydo phir?" 
Another is that policies of companies are not discriminatory. At least not with a big company like Atlus. They don't hold grudges and single out individuals. 
But I know some people that do. And they don't work for Atlus.
I don't believe for a second what this trolls are trying to pull off. Unless Atlus sends some documentation with why they would single him out. 

Edited by BrightSideViking

5 minutes ago, markymark52 said:

They never did make it clear that rules from the first blog's post still applied to the second blog post (with the exception of the pushed back in-game date), so it is a little shady if that's why Phil received the strike.

Did they have to say that? All the second post was was an update saying the date limit got pushed back. Of course the other rules still apply. Updating one doesn't make the rest go away.

Was in the middle of typing lol. Looks like it was an error according to phil. I called it :3

welp, discussions over. No emergency any more, and those accusing others should properly say sorry to them.

But keep in mind that other youtubers who ve gone pass the date really did get the strikes. So its not trolls aiming for phil only and should be very careful uploading anything related to persona 5 from now on. To be safe, if ur not going to edit, dont upload it.

I swear, but if Phil still cancels his playthrough and future Atlus playthroughs because of this, because he "can't risk his livelihood in the future to developers who are inept at their job," or something to that degree, I will be incredibly upset. Hopefully Phil can put this past him and just carry on as if it didnt happen, since it seems it was an honest mistake, as Phil hypothesized in his video. Please continue Persona 5 Phil! At least until 11/19. Or at least un-private the playlist lol.