The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 66 - August 24, 2017

Do you plan to remove the co-op playthroughs on your channel with the people who you no longer associate with? I hope not as I still thoroughly enjoy these live co-op playthroughs and hope you can find someone to do offline co-op with in the future.

Hey Phil,

Why dont you have a Discord or Twitch server? I would imagine someone like you would really benefit from having one. Could offer an unique and valuable way to communicate with your friends. Get some admins in there to banish the trolls as well. Very curious to hear your response from this. 

- Industrial Gamer

Edited by IndustrialGamer

In your own honest opinion, how is it that you notice some things or grasp some concepts in your playthroughs, and then completely muck it up on others? Like your Sonic Adventure 2 playthrough, you noticed Big the Cat every single time when he showed up on screen (which is honestly amazing to me), but you couldn't see some of Emerald Shards/Keys in the Rogue/Knuckles stages when they were on-screen. There were plenty of deaths that could have been easily avoided if you had simply used and internalized the Omochao helpers.

To be fair, every three hints you're given in those stages are solely aimed at the next objective spawned, and the game had some wonky mechanics even on the original Dreamcast/Gamecube, but digress.

I ask because I recall a while back that you said you'd try to be less rage-y/frustrated at games, and pay more attention to the game to do so, yet I feel like if you took a few seconds in games like SA2 to really process the tips/hints, you'd enjoy them more and make the playthrough more enjoyable for the viewer.

Hey Phil,

PHIL THE KING!!! Sorry man I've been so busy with real life that I don't have time to always stop by your streams but I always try to catch the replay on youtube. Thanks for answering my question last episode!

You know I gotta rib you and always ask you questions about the FGC - dude we miss you! As a fellow FGC player, my best memory as a member of our community was just hanging out with the boys. It was great hanging out with you at Evo and going to the qualifiers breakfast. 

1) My question is what was your best/favorite memory about being in the FGC community? You gotta admit-  we used to all trash talk each other but at the end of the day, we were all boys. Like I would have rivalries with others in in the MD/VA area however whenever we always traveled out of town, no matter what happened we would always rep MD/VA together. 

2) What was your favorite region of people to game with? I know you were hanging out with the NorthEast FGC crew being in Connecticut and all... any fond stories?

Stay hype brother - come visit Maryland sometime!

<3 Isaac Graham

PS let me know when you want to play me in MvC2 - team scrub vs MSP :D

Hi Phil,

Love your series. My question is - did you ever travel outside of the US? Being a fellow fighting game player, I know it is common (especially back then) for players to travel to Japan every now and then to compete. Any cool stories?

Love you bro fuck the haters!!!

- Ismael

Hey Phil! As someone who's been following you for a while, I've always found your stories about your past and your youth to be quite interesting. I noticed, while watching an older Ask the King video where you talk about your hairstyle as a kid, that there don't seem to be any pictures of you prior to your days in the competitive Street Fighter scene online. Would you ever be interested in showing some older photos of yourself from your youth? I think it'd be interesting to know how you may have looked 15-25 years ago. Thanks!

Hey Phil. I was wondering, you played TItanfall and hated it yet you gave Titanfall 2 a chance. You hated Destiny but are not willing to give Destiny 2 a chance. I just wanted to ask why this is? Titanfall 2 all they really added was a story mode and Destiny 2 has already been reported to have over 80 activities and 50+ story based cutscenes. I will watch your content regardless but It was just something on my mind thanks and I hope you enjoy the hardcore gaming season

Dear Phil, I think I m one of your eldest fans here as I m the same age as you. I have started to watch you since 2013 when I heard about you from a movie review youtuber. I watch your videos everyday and they get me through all the rough times from the true cruel world all these times. :happy: 

My question for ask the king is as you have mentioned you play the mobile game dragon ball dokkan battle as I m also a fan of also, why do you think it is so popular compare to other mobile phone games? What are your thoughts and tips to free players and do you think the game will die out soon? New, I pulled Gogeta too but with many stones... :wacko:

Thank you and best of luck with everything, your true fan from far away.  :smile:

Bennie

Edited by Benniefranchise

In hindsight do you regret the move to Washington and if so what would you have done differently?

If you was forced to leave the house (I hope not) would you move to another place in Washington or move back to the condo in Connecticut?

Why don't you get rid of the No of nominations stipulation for Patron's Choice? I believe it is making it harder for you to reach your monthly target.

If you choose to answer only 1 of these questions that's fine by me.

Hey Phil,

The past year, we've had our first ever mid-gen upgrade consoles such as the PS4 Pro and the now the Xbox One X.

It seems to me that Sony and Microsoft only care about Resolution and don't even acknowledge Performance which is much more important. Is it because most consumers only see the numbers in resolution and have no idea what 30FPS and 60FPS even mean so that's why the manufactures are so invested in just having a better GPU and ignoring the CPU?

4K is still very new and most households still don't have a 4K TV, so pushing 4K at this time is definitely the wrong path.

99% of open world games and most linear games still run at 30FPS and with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, games are still running at 30FPS despite the console being more "powerful". They only upgrade the GPU and hardly do anything to the CPU and that's what the main bottleneck is now.

My Question is: Would you rather the consoles play the games at 4K 30FPS or every game at 1080P 60FPS? Would you buy the new consoles if every game ran at 1080P 60FPS? Do you think it's too early to push 4K and that they should slow down, re-adjust things and make sure everyone gets the best 1080P experience they possibly can and then after a few years start to focus on 4K higher Performance?

Thanks for your time, Phil!

Edited by I-AM-THE-DANGER
better wording

How's it going Phil?
As I'm writing this question, you're fast approaching the end of Danganronpa 2, you've still got the entire final chapter to go through, which is 7 hours give or take. Do you have any interest in the Danganronpa "3rd Arc" anime that essentially book ends the first two games? It's the only oddity on the series that it's outright a tv show instead of a game, but it's also the ENDING to the story. (at least until V3 happened)

Hey phil

I've been a fan of yours since late 2013. I am partially sighted and wanted to ask do you think games should introduce more accessibility features for example larger text or bolder fonts. A lot more people are playing games these days so it would be cool to see devs recognise that and make games playable to everyone. Keep up the good work and enjoy your day.

Hey Phil,

Long time fan since 2008 here and god damn time has flown by. Anyways, considering how long you've been making content on YouTube and the number of games you've played over the years (probably more than anyone out there) what do you think about making a "top 10 or 20 best games of my YouTube career". You could go through the best games of the past decade similar to a GOTY awards except on a grander scale. I think there's a lot of room here to expand on your reasoning as well as possible overarching themes regarding game development/ what makes a truly great game or even break it up into categories, etc.

A lot of people would be interested something like this and you could really delve deep into game reviewing, which I think everybody agrees you have a good eye for giving an honest, fair opinion. Please consider it and thanks for the years of entertainment, I wish nothing but the best for you!

This is a long one.

I've doing YouTube for 5 years now and having fun as an unpaid small YouTuber. I know what it's like to deal with copyright claims and strikes. The main game series that I play are WWE games. I almost always get claims for the music and video packages within the game. But I never get copyright strikes and I rarely dispute the claims because I expect to fail. But for the past two years, I've found away to avoid claims or strikes from playing WWE games. And that is by turning down the music and talk over it or turn it off; and for the video packages, watch for a few seconds then go to the PSN home screen and wait for about 20 to 30 seconds. Maybe they don't try to take down my channel because I'm not making money from YouTube; just saying, but that previous statement could be completely wrong.

Knowing this info, would you still consider playing WWE2K18? 

Do you think within 5 years there will be a competitor to YouTube? say Twitch gains some speed and spends more money on their video sharing is it quite possible that the people who were hit by YouTube's leftist bullshit claims will go over there? With Twitch being bought by Amazon they have a lot of power and behind them which could make this possible

Your thoughts? 

Hello DSP or Phil whichever you prefer.

When it comes to time, not all of us have as much free time as we would like whether its to relax, see a movie or even try something new.

For me, with my studies I try my best to balance out personal and study time as there is something new that I would want to self-teach for it may benefit me for anything in the future. One thing I hope to self-teach myself is web page development to increase my chances of getting work whilst proving to me, not just others that my studies have paid off for me in a great way.

My question is if you had the free time away from your job, is there anything that would interest you and maybe like to self-teach yourself even as a new hobby or it intrigued you?

Thank you and keep up the good work

Regards, Redhyruler

Edited by Redhyruler
Felt the impulse to include an example to hopefully elaborate on my question.

Hey Phil,

Over the years of watching your reviews I've seen you use the review scale to its full extent. There were 4s, 5s, 7s and 8s, but also 9s, 9.5s and last year even a 9.8 with Uncharted 4. But never a 10. Do you think a game has to be absolutely perfect in every aspect to get that score, and by extension do you think no game should or will ever get a 10 from you, since no game could ever be flawless? Why has Phil Burnell never given out a 10 (as far as I know)?

Many people oppose same-sex relationships depicted in video games because they come across as "forced" and pandering. Would you find this to be true from what you've seen in your playthroughs?

And, if I may ask another: Favorite cheese?

Edited by thatanonymouse
cut it down to just the Q's