The King of Hate Forums

Opinions on the powerbomb Phil did to the weeb patrons this pre stream?

Damn he really laid into them while banning weeb games from Patron's choice. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I voted for Danganronpa 2 didn't realize "he was tired of this shit" and needed massive views that the patron money didn't cover. 

He says banning weebs from patron choice will give him a spike in revenue on patron. Is this true? 

Edited by Aceman
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those games were picked by the patrons the "issue" is the people who voted voted on games they wanted to see you play but didnt translate to what the common viewer wants.  but you have said in other v

Congrats on completely, utterly spinning what I said in a completely negative light and turning it into something I didn't say, at all. You'd better watch it, because this kind of behavior is harmful

Damn he really laid into them while banning weeb games from Patron's choice. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I voted for Danganronpa 2 didn't realize "he was tired of this shit" and needed massiv

3 hours ago, Aceman said:

Damn he really laid into them while banning weeb games from Patron's choice. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I voted for Danganronpa 2 didn't realize "he was tired of this shit" and needed massive views that the patron money didn't cover. 

He says banning weebs from patron choice will give him a spike in revenue on patron. Is this true? 

Congrats on completely, utterly spinning what I said in a completely negative light and turning it into something I didn't say, at all. You'd better watch it, because this kind of behavior is harmful and I'm not going to tolerate it.

Now, let's look at the facts.

Look at the Patrons' Choice winners for the last 2+ years:

-Persona 4
-Yakuza 4
-Persona 3
-Danganronpa
-Danganronpa 2

See the issue here?

They're ALL the same style of game. Patrons' Choice is supposed to allow me to play games that normally I wouldn't be exposed to, and therefore create variety in my content. This happened with Persona 4 and Yakuza 4, but then it just STAYED on that same pattern of INCREDIBLY long, INCREDIBLY heavy narrative/dialogue-focused (meaning I have to read a TON), Japanese culture-centric games. There's no variety in this stuff, it's all for the very same group of niche viewers. Which is fine, if it happened a few times, but it's happened EVERY SINGLE TIME I've done Patrons' Choice for 2+ years running now.

The point is, I'm now getting massive feedback that these playthroughs aren't appealing anymore because I've played SO MANY of this style of game, and that people are actually WITHHOLDING from pledging to my Patreon because every single time I do this monthly event reward, it ends up the same style of game wins. Just check out the Danganronpa 2 playthrough - I'm KILLING myself to do the amount of dialogue required, while we can't even get 200 people on the streams (not to mention nobody is watching the playthrough on YouTube).

So this time, I'm completely barring ANY long, narrative-based, Japanese-centric games (meaning NO JRPGs and NO visual novels, PERIOD). There are literally dozens of other genres and thousands of other games to choose from; we don't have to keep beating the same dead horse here. This will make this month's goal appeal to a much wider audience and hopefully make it more appealing again.

Sorry, this isn't 2012 and it certainly isn't 2015, when I started with Patreon. As I've stated repeatedly, YouTube ad revenue plummeted (not anybody's fault BUT YouTube/Google's since they fucked up so bad) and I have to keep stuff afloat with things people actually want to watch. I can't keep promising to complete 40-hour-long games that lose interest 10 hours in, take an incredible amount out of me to read all the dialogue, and are ALL for the same nice audience of 300 viewers. If you don't understand this, I'm sorry, but it's just reality: YOUTUBE fucked everything up for people like me. I no longer have the ability to just "play whatever I want" EVEN with Patreon funding, which I'm struggling to retain at just the base level of funding I've asked for over 2+ years for on a monthly basis. 

Now please, stop being an asshole and spinning what I said on prestream into something it isn't. It's not cool and it certainly doesn't make you look good.

• Upvote 4
14 hours ago, Phil said:

The point is, I'm now getting massive feedback that these playthroughs aren't appealing anymore because I've played SO MANY of this style of game, and that people are actually WITHHOLDING from pledging to my Patreon because every single time I do this monthly event reward, it ends up the same style of game wins.

Well, you must understand there is a reason for this happening. The patron following you have managed to cultivate have for reasons unknown taken to favor you playing these sort of games. If people are withholding their pledges because other games can't win, then you have to anticipate that an even larger group of people will now withhold their pledges instead because the games they want to see are banned.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Phil said:

Congrats on completely, utterly spinning what I said in a completely negative light and turning it into something I didn't say, at all. You'd better watch it, because this kind of behavior is harmful and I'm not going to tolerate it.

-Persona 4
-Yakuza 4
-Persona 3
-Danganronpa
-Danganronpa 2

See the issue here?

They're ALL the same style of game. Patrons' Choice is supposed to allow me to play games that normally I wouldn't be exposed to, and therefore create variety in my content. This happened with Persona 4 and Yakuza 4, but then it just STAYED on that same pattern of INCREDIBLY long, INCREDIBLY heavy narrative/dialogue-focused (meaning I have to read a TON), Japanese culture-centric games. There's no variety in this stuff, it's all for the very same group of niche viewers. Which is fine, if it happened a few times, but it's happened EVERY SINGLE TIME I've done Patrons' Choice for 2+ years running now.

The point is, I'm now getting massive feedback that these playthroughs aren't appealing anymore because I've played SO MANY of this style of game, and that people are actually WITHHOLDING from pledging to my Patreon because every single time I do this monthly event reward, it ends up the same style of game wins. Just check out the Danganronpa 2 playthrough - I'm KILLING myself to do the amount of dialogue required, while we can't even get 200 people on the streams (not to mention nobody is watching the playthrough on YouTube).

So this time, I'm completely barring ANY long, narrative-based, Japanese-centric games (meaning NO JRPGs and NO visual novels, PERIOD). There are literally dozens of other genres and thousands of other games to choose from; we don't have to keep beating the same dead horse here. This will make this month's goal appeal to a much wider audience and hopefully make it more appealing again.

Sorry, this isn't 2012 and it certainly isn't 2015, when I started with Patreon. As I've stated repeatedly, YouTube ad revenue plummeted (not anybody's fault BUT YouTube/Google's since they fucked up so bad) and I have to keep stuff afloat with things people actually want to watch. I can't keep promising to complete 40-hour-long games that lose interest 10 hours in, take an incredible amount out of me to read all the dialogue, and are ALL for the same nice audience of 300 viewers. If you don't understand this, I'm sorry, but it's just reality: YOUTUBE fucked everything up for people like me. I no longer have the ability to just "play whatever I want" EVEN with Patreon funding, which I'm struggling to retain at just the base level of funding I've asked for over 2+ years for on a monthly basis. 

Now please, stop being an asshole and spinning what I said on prestream into something it isn't. It's not cool and it certainly doesn't make you look good.

those games were picked by the patrons the "issue" is the people who voted voted on games they wanted to see you play but didnt translate to what the common viewer wants.  but you have said in other vids that people who complain about patron playthroughs dont have the right to complain because they didnt pledge and vote their game in. you cant say "its your fault if you didnt vote" and then blame people for nominating and voting in games they want.  "WITHHOLDING from pledging to my Patreon" is exactly my point those people should be pledging if they dont want to see it since they arent pledging they cant nominate a game that can potentially win.  its like people who complain about trump being president then didnt go out to vote.  do you think the government will add new regulations to who can be president for those who chose not to vote? no they wouldnt. so removing options in a event thats supposed to give power to the patrons because the guy who didnt pledge isnt happy is ridiculous.  honestly phil you should have just called this event something else because calling it "patron's choice" then removing options doesnt give patrons much power or choice.

if you dont want people to spin this negatively then dont call it patron's choice. call it "patron selection" or something be creative because calling it "patron's choice" is an uphill fight against the obvious contradiction the name and your description is.

• Upvote 4
26 minutes ago, BunlordKleo said:

those games were picked by the patrons the "issue" is the people who voted voted on games they wanted to see you play but didnt translate to what the common viewer wants.  but you have said in other vids that people who complain about patron playthroughs dont have the right to complain because they didnt pledge and vote their game in. you cant say "its your fault if you didnt vote" and then blame people for nominating and voting in games they want.  "WITHHOLDING from pledging to my Patreon" is exactly my point those people should be pledging if they dont want to see it since they arent pledging they cant nominate a game that can potentially win.  its like people who complain about trump being president then didnt go out to vote.  do you think the government will add new regulations to who can be president for those who chose not to vote? no they wouldnt. so removing options in a event thats supposed to give power to the patrons because the guy who didnt pledge isnt happy is ridiculous.  honestly phil you should have just called this event something else because calling it "patron's choice" then removing options doesnt give patrons much power or choice.

if you dont want people to spin this negatively then dont call it patron's choice. call it "patron selection" or something be creative because calling it "patron's choice" is an uphill fight against the obvious contradiction the name and your description is.

couldn't said this better myself !

completely agree with you!

18 hours ago, Phil said:

-Persona 4
-Yakuza 4
-Persona 3
-Danganronpa
-Danganronpa 2

See the issue here?

Let's get this straighten out a bit. First people pay you money to pick these games right so you don't really have that much of a right to complain about the games that are picked. The style of games picked there aren't the same, Yazuka games are action adventure games, Persona 3 and 4 are turn based rpgs and Danganronpa is a visual novel. There's variety in the choices of games picked but there isn't variety in the commentary or your "raw unedited gameplay videos". 

You're joking right? The first Danganronpa 2 playthrough I ever saw was a fan translated playthrough where they didn't read any of the text. If you don't want to read text which really isn't that hard then just don't read it you're not doing anything special here especially when people have essentially paid you to play DR2. Like this isn't hard stuff or complex algorithms but basic solutions to simple problems.

The games aren't appealing because it's boring to watch you play anything because your commentary is boring, you have nothing interesting to say about any of these games instead you resort to making sex jokes with character name selections, your commentary and the game's plot on a whole. 

• Upvote 1

How about letting all the £5+ patrons pick a game that goes straight to the poll, that way you are sure to get a more variety of game genres to pick from, if you limit the amount of games that reach the poll stage, then the more likely you will keep getting the same type of  games winning and having to play.

52 minutes ago, TheBlackSword said:

The games aren't appealing because it's boring to watch you play anything because your commentary is boring, you have nothing interesting to say about any of these games instead you resort to making sex jokes with character name selections, your commentary and the game's plot on a whole. 

Who the fuck is this guy?

2 hours ago, TheBlackSword said:

A friendly person pointing out inconsistencies with the entity known as DSP. And also that's not the way you should greet a new member of your community. 

If you introduce yourself as a prick you should be treated like a prick.

Anyway I have to agree with Phil. The current Patreons make terrible decisions. I say that because they would vote for an awesome game but then make him play the whole goddamn franchise before he can move on to something else.

That being said I don't think outright banning "weeb" games is the solution. Rather we could take an approach similar to the Sonic Patreon goal. A choice between 3 games fitting a particular theme. That way not only do the Patreons get a say in what gets played but Phil can decide the roster based on feedback from the whole community. Also Phil was talking about genre specific events a month ago so maybe that can be the theme. Since JRPG, Visual novels, and platformer games have been done to death how about an action, shooter, or stealth event for Patreons choice.

• Upvote 1

U could just create a specific genre goal for the vote without mentioning banning weeb games like "fps february, mmo march, action august" and so on. Banning certain genre will just piss fans of the genre off.

And to point out something, if weeb games won consecutively on the patreon goal that means the majority of the patreons are fans of weeb games.

i think u should create a simple poll asking if not jrpg, wut genre would patreons like to see then create a goal around that.

• Upvote 1

I feel sort of responsible for Phil playing Danganronpa 1 as I was one of the first to mention Danganronpa 1 and thought it was something new as you very hardly touch visual novels so it sucks to see you not enjoying the game as it isn't pulling views as opposed to the typical sandbox blockbuster GTA clone or big fighting game or Soulsbourne style game. I along with Aceman, MissKelcher and a few others really wanted to see Phil give a visual novel game a chance since it's something totally different and of the big visual novels, it's easy enough to get and offers up some murder mystery to the grand scheme of things. The one thing I have always loved about your channel Phil and why I support you via Twitch and Patreon is your diversity of games and that you give these "niche" Japanese games a chance and don't just stick with fighting games or the stereotypical Far Cry/GTA sandbox clone but it does suck to see not only Danganronpa thrown into as a "weeb" game like it's a damnation of the series that happens to have some good storyline progression and storytelling but for games like that to be discouraged from voting. I get not having the time to routinely play 100+ hour JRPGs but this game is about 30 hours, which is nowhere near as long as the typical sandbox game so I don't think it's too demanding at all to play such a game. It gives me voter's guilt almost to see that you aren't enjoying Danganronpa 1 or 2 because it's a less commonly known game and it isn't getting you the bits and cheers that you would get from other games.

Which leads to another point that I held off from making but was sort of discouraged as a patreon voter when Phil mentioned he wanted to play DSII:SOTFS as apart of the downtime summer time:

It sucks to see a game like Danganronpa 2 win in a fair poll 16-11 against Dark Souls 2: SOTFS in patreon votes and that the latter gets first priority because of twitch views. I hate to say this but it sort of feels like it undermines the patron votes. Absolutely the bits and cheers and subs matter on Twitch and I of course want to see Phil do well but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see the patron's choice essentially get put on the backburner for a game that it beat upon in votes., it makes it feel like that Twitch revenue matters much more than Patreon and this is coming from both a 2+ month subscriber to your twitch channel Phil and a 6+ month patreon supporter. Sucks to see the patreon's choice game essentially get treated like having to get a root canal taken out where you are forced to do rather than you being excited about diving into a game you were open about liking the 1st game and even the 2nd thus far. I get not getting to play it due to your allergies but to throw it in the backburner in favor of Dark Souls 2 when you've already done 2 1/2 games like that(Dark Souls Redemption run, Dark Souls 3 DLC, NiOh) in a 7 month span is frustrating and I absolutely love the Soulsbourne genre just would hate to see you not give a chance to these lesser known titles and completely different style games like a visual novel in favor of the typical genre.

Ultimately Phil, I want you to have fun and to play/enjoy what you are doing and I don't want to get to a point of dictating what you should and should not play because I am throwing you a few dollars, but it isn't a good look at all for the patreon vote to see a game that got beat in a poll get first priority over the winner and if that goal is being reached by the patreon's, I do think a point really needs to be made to make that a priority, especially during the "downtime" portion of the year. Finishing the game because "I must" just really deflates the playthrough and the people interested in seeing the game.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Phil said:

-Persona 4
-Yakuza 4
-Persona 3
-Danganronpa
-Danganronpa 2

See the issue here?

But during the hardcore gaming season, you end up playing the Call of Duty's, the Far Cry's, the Ass. Creed's routinely so there's really no other way to have you play these games other than essentially paying 5 or more dollars to meet a goal since these older games or lesser known games would not get the light of day when your business relies on the blockbuster game and new games. Ni No Kuni II you mentioned is no given to be played and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't mentioned as a playthrough this year due to Nintendo or you not having the time in the fall/winter time to divulge so much time into said game.

What's next? If Japanese psycological horror games like Siren: Blood Curse or Fatal Frame get routinely picked, will that be outlawed too? I can only speak on behalf of myself but I stay away from the yearly COD or Battlefield style games that you play because they all feel the same and all feel borderline rehashed and I actually enjoy these different type of games that you play.

Outside of Pokemon which is a big franchise and Final Fantasy which is also a big franchise, it seems like these style of games are never going to be played ever especially with this stipulation put down now. It essentially takes away the allure that you have with me and surely others as a LPer who plays an vast amount of games and isn't pidgeonholed to playing the same couple aforementioned genres but it seems more so that you are becoming a Fighting Games/Soulsbourne/sandbox/FPS style of gamer.

Maybe like allowing one of these games to be voted and played once a year in these patreon votes might be the way to go to avoid fatigue but to completely outlaw these type of games seems disheartening to me. I voted Jak 3 over Danganronpa 2 to encourage a new style of game so believe me Phil, I don't think it's outlandish to limit how much you play these style of games but I don't agree with the approach of outlawing said games permanetly and think as others have mentioned in this thread, it gets to a point of sort of telling people what style of games they will have to pick and I don't know if that's the right approach but it's your business, channel so it's your call.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:06 AM, ThatDogGuy said:

Don't think twelve year olds will agree who have anime cartoon girls as their pillows. Otherwise yeah. 

It's a much better alternative than chugging on mountain dew and munching on doritos and playing the same old Call of Duty and Battlefield games ever year.

Edited by Blackspawn89

Ok this really confused me when Phil had made this rule. As others have posted here and even Patrons themselves I understanding getting burnt out on a type of game. 

However Phil has ALWAYS said that if you don't like the patrons choice then pledge to make your vote count.. And this rule I feel undermines that.

Pledgees are a minority of the fanbase to begin with correct? Is it so odd that thier choices wouldn't align with the majority? They clearly like to see Phil play these games and pay to watch it. I myself like watching them. 

But outright banning of these games I think is the wrong response to this situation. As some have already suggested you can dedicated a month to a genre or even if its absolutely necessary limit it to 1 or 2 a year. 

If PC has been consistently getting these games picked clearly there is an audience that cares enough to vote to see you play them. And people withholding pledges? Isn't that a similiar logic to the idea that a pirated game is a loss sale? (I know its still a stretch but bare with me here).. In that there is no guarantee that these withheld pledges are longlasting, dedicated, and worth undermining your own words.

There is also no guarantee that this wider audience will be as populated as you may be anticipating or again even long lasting. If what you had was this dedicated and this is what they like seeing and stick to you I would fight everything to keep that.. But that's just me..

Your audience already has some power in voting in game selections you pick from via Twitter and even giving you feedback to change your mind.. Catering to them again but to take away the choice in PC is again undermining IMO.

I also wanted to add I'm not oblivious to the dire need in revenue and its decline on Youtube and how it has impacted your channel. However i do not feel this was the response to that. 

I reccomend having a "Patrons Selection" for 1$ pledgees to vote that is put together by the wider audience and to retain Patrons Choice as is but with obvious stipulations from time to time to avoid burnout, but not an outright law or ban.

Edited by RichterTryhard
  • Upvote 2

It gives a chance at some different stuff so I am for it. I didn't hear him say it and I'm not sure which pre-stream video it is in. I'll look around for it later though. The game I like still might not win but it has a better shot. Kinda sucks to see the poll entries and already know which one is going to win. Hate seeing games in a series get played back to back too unless they are short cause burn out is going to set in while he plays and that isn't good viewing. Persona 3 was too close to 4 and Danganronpa 2 is too close to the 1. At the very least, this is true from a viewer perspective. I'll be skipping out on watching that playthrough. Looking forward to what else can manage in the polls.

On ٦‏/٧‏/٢٠١٧ at 9:23 PM, BunlordKleo said:

Well said! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, Phil said:

-Persona 4
-Yakuza 4
-Persona 3
-Danganronpa
-Danganronpa 2

See the issue here?

Nope.  People paid to vote and that's what they voted for.  If you don't want to play what people vote for, don't take money for nominations and votes.  Real simple.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, KingGristle said:

People paid to vote and that's what they voted for.

but he still has the right to dictate terms and conditions.

if people don't like his reasoning said terms, that's a completely different story.

I've been thinking this for years now: Phil, you lack is the gift of synthesis. you think the more details you bring to the table , the more people will be ok with your claim. but in your case, a polarizing pubilc personality, it can be the opposite. not to mention the tone. you have people ready to jump at your throat at your every move, you know that.

say the essential, sticks to the facts, and only to those that actually matter.

Imagine this:

Q: "Hi Phil! What's new, Phil?"

P: "No more long Japanese centric games or visual novels as patreon's choice playthroughs"

Q: "ehhhh? Nande desu ka, Phil-sama?"

P: "well, cause I'd like to see something different and I'm sure part of my audience agrees. 5 in row, c'mon man. Oh and don't ask me how I understood what you just said."

Q: "b-but that's what we like, Phil!"

P: "but is that the ONLY thing you'd like to see me play? is that the only thing you're willing to pay for? C'mon patreons, challenge me! show me your true self! (music starts)"

Q: "Ph-Phil sama! you're so gallant today! what happened? :blush:"

P: "Plus it's not like I didn't play long Japanese centric games in the past, right? I played 2 full Yakuza games just last year and I was playing Persona 5 before Atlus... ATLUSSSSS"

Q: "mh? :smile: "

P: "oh, nothing."

and from that day on, the world experienced nothing but peace and free healthcare for everyone.

Edited by kill-chan
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, KingGristle said:

Nope.  People paid to vote and that's what they voted for.  If you don't want to play what people vote for, don't take money for nominations and votes.  Real simple.

It's not all about votes braniac. 

You totally missed the point. Well done. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ThatDogGuy said:

It's not all about votes braniac. 

You totally missed the point. Well done. 

why? isnt it a patreons choice? why care about what other ppl think when they didnt pay to vote for it? those ppl can watch normal streams which phil always alternate in between.

but wutever, this is old news     ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

• Upvote 2