The King of Hate Forums

Twitch Streaming is bad for Mental Health

1 hour ago, FloydMayweather said:

I mean think about it, most streamers spend 8 hours a day talking to a screen

Once that 8 hours is done, you've just spent 8 hours talking to nobody real.

Read chat > back to video game > read chat > back to video game.

What do you guys think? it takes a certain type of person to do this.

Is that your hypothesis? I think it depends on the person. People react to things in their life differently.

I think it depends on the community. I watched a few streamers, some chatrooms  are very nice while some arent. With nice community i think its not that bad even when behind a screen.

not gonna deny tho talking with real ppl is better. Thats why some streamers befriend each other and play together. Maybe add a discord in.

17 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

I'm p sure we're all still real people lol

Compared to being some busboy at Burger King, you'll experience more sincere human interaction through the internet than face-to-face. For a 9-to-5 gig, it's not that bad for socializing.

The effect of that much immobility on your heart though? That's the health issue to avoid.

Edited by thatanonymouse

Playing games in general for long periods always affects your mental health. It doesn't matter if those people in chat are strangers or friends. That's why you take a walk, eat at a restaurant, talk to people, call your parents, etc. Pretty sure Phil does some of these things already.

You know what negatively affects someones mental health? Trolling. His detractors hurt him more than any of this other shit that you guys talk about.

• Upvote 3
On 7/16/2017 at 5:02 AM, FloydMayweather said:

I like to know where you got your evidence to make this hypothesis.  What sample of thr population of twitch streamers did you observe.

Edited by Doki'loki517
2 hours ago, Doki'loki517 said:

I like to know where you got your evidence to make this hypothesis.  What sample of thr population of twitch streamers did you observe.

He wasn't stating some scientific fact.. Just an observation. 

And honestly? Any behavior to an extreme can do something to your mental health. It warps and deludes your reality into a bubble of what the world is. Giving you a false sense of what reality is really like...

I know because I have been there before..

Some are stronger minded than others and can balance life out while others let themselves get trapped in a hole.. Whether that be work, drugs, or dsoly streaming.. There is gonna be some damage somewhere after lomg periods of time.

No need to dismiss it so.. I think its a valid observation.

• Upvote 1

This past year we did see one or two streamers die due to long hours of streaming. One I believe did a charity stream where he'd go 12+ hours at a time. And it effected his health. So there is a risk there if people are streaming long hours and all.

Many are streaming because they want to grab as much attention and money as possible. As someone brought up , the more hours they stream the odds are they can grab viewers and potential money. 

18 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

He wasn't stating some scientific fact.. Just an observation. 

And honestly? Any behavior to an extreme can do something to your mental health. It warps and deludes your reality into a bubble of what the world is. Giving you a false sense of what reality is really like...

I know because I have been there before..

Some are stronger minded than others and can balance life out while others let themselves get trapped in a hole.. Whether that be work, drugs, or dsoly streaming.. There is gonna be some damage somewhere after lomg periods of time.

No need to dismiss it so.. I think its a valid observation.

The thing is majority of streamers don't fit his observation.  A lot of them have relationship outside of twitch.  Im just curiuos of how many streamers he followed to come up with observation.

Edited by Doki'loki517
On 7/16/2017 at 3:02 PM, FloydMayweather said:

I recently started streaming on my YT channel. I'm planning to stream whenever I feel like playing, with no commentry. Maximum I streamed was 4 hours and was playing Crash with my brother live and laughing at people who call us noobs and such for missing a jump. It was fun but then we got bored. 

I can't take playing or streaming a game more than 4 hours. I get tired and bored, even without commentary. 

Edited by skysands2008
22 hours ago, Doki'loki517 said:

The thing is majority of streamers don't fit his observation.  A lot of them have relationship outside of twitch.  Im just curiuos of how many streamers he followed to come up with observation.

I think anyone can come to that observation if they see someone who streams 8 hours a day daily for months and months on end. 

Sitting still playing games in excess is gonna cause some health issues whether that be physically or mentally. 

I also don't believe he indicated he was talking about the majority of streamers. Just that its possible to cause some harm to oneself. 

8 minutes ago, RichterTryhard said:

I think anyone can come to that observation if they see someone who streams 8 hours a day daily for months and months on end. 

Sitting still playing games in excess is gonna cause some health issues whether that be physically or mentally. 

I also don't believe he indicated he was talking about the majority of streamers. Just that its possible to cause some harm to oneself. 

As I stated other streamers have lives outside of Twitch.......  An example is Maxillian Dood.  He has a wife and friends he interscts woth.   He goes to cons and has a job outside of streaming.  

5 minutes ago, Doki'loki517 said:

As I stated other streamers have lives outside of Twitch.......  An example is Maxillian Dood.  He has a wife and friends he interscts woth.   He goes to cons and has a job outside of streaming.  

Im aware of that. I don't think the TC was reffering to people like that. I know I wasn't. 

5 minutes ago, RichterTryhard said:

Im aware of that. I don't think the TC was reffering to people like that. I know I wasn't. 

The thing is he made a gerneral assumption that streamers don't interact woth ppl outside of streaming..... 

And I understand he made this assumption bt the streamers he observered.  

Edited by Doki'loki517
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

This.

I wasn't talking about most streamers. Only streamers that stream 8 hours a day, every day months on end using Twitch as a means to ignore everything else in their life.

Looks like @Doki'loki517 is upset about what I said, maybe he is one of these people who knows.

16 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

This.

I wasn't talking about most streamers. Only streamers that stream 8 hours a day, every day months on end using Twitch as a means to ignore everything else in their life.

Looks like @Doki'loki517 is upset about what I said, maybe he is one of these people who knows.

Dude, I'm not upset.  I just think your statmemt is flawed.  You make an assumption that ppl that stream 8 hours a day don't interact with ppl outside of  Twitch.  Ppl don't go tell every aspect of there lives on the internet.

And it seems you made a assumption about me from just a couple of post.

Edited by Doki'loki517
2 hours ago, Doki'loki517 said:

Dude, I'm not upset.  I just think your statmemt is flawed.  You make an assumption that ppl that stream 8 hours a day don't interact with ppl outside of  Twitch.  Ppl don't go tell every aspect of there lives on the internet.

His post didn't indicate that he assumed streamers didn't interact outside of Twitch. He stated that they play 8 hours, chat online, months on end ect.. Indicating a very specific kind of streamer.

To me reading his post it was clear he wasn't reffering to all streamers in general as he gave a specific example of a pattern of behavior of streamers that clearly don't interact with the outside.. Not that ALL streamers don't.

His assumption on you though was uncalled for and uneccessary. 

Its all just a misunderstanding. We are discussing stresmers who are more or less shut-ins. And that will with time cause health issues. 

We have articles and reports on incidents of the like as well. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Doki'loki517 said:

There are streamers out there that have died because they sat there... day in and day out/long hours not paying attention to their health, this sort of behavior takes a serious tole.

NOT EVERY STREAMER.

I made a second post for you and still didn't understand.

Someone else explained it you, and still didn't understand:

Welp @RichterTryhard we tried.

25 minutes ago, FloydMayweather said:

There are streamers out there that have died because they sat there... day in and day out/long hours not paying attention to their health, this sort of behavior takes a serious tole.

NOT EVERY STREAMER.

I made a second post for you and still didn't understand.

Someone else explained it you, and still didn't understand:

Welp @RichterTryhard we tried.

The thing is you posted about mental health, not physical heath.  In your orginal post you mention not talking to anyone, not forgetting about their physical health.  My post had to do more with their mental health.  Many people that stream my have social anxiety and this a way for them to over come it by interacting with ppl.  

Please reread you orginal post.... because you failed to mention anything about physical health.

Edited by Doki'loki517