The King of Hate Forums

Danganronpa 2 and time limits

I know this got voted in Patrons Choice but I heard the game is about 60 hours long and we just had to sit through the first one. Not everyone wants to see Phil spend so much time playing one game and I see what he means about it restricting his business, so as a Patron myself I'm gonna suggest time limits on Patrons Choice? Cos I wont be watching this playthrough for sure as the game doesn't interest me and I fucking hate watching a playthrough which is mainly dialogue. It's not fair on other fans who want to see him play the new releases :smile: I can't be the only one who finds it boring. 

So yeah DSP maybe the Patrons choice in future can only be games which take less time to complete say max 30 hours? What do you think?

Edited by ThatDogGuy
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Agreed 100% I hate this game. Who fucking voted it?

The patrons obviously.. Tho that's me being facetious. 

I enjoy Phil's voice work and interest in these kinds of story driven games. I personally enjoy his story driven games the most.

The point is this was voted in. And at the end of Phil's first playthrough of the first game he even said he would be up for the next game if it gets voted... People saw he liked the game so naturally they would think he would like more of it.

All this blaming on the patrons is uncalled for IMO when they have always been told that what they voted for will get played start to finish and no one has the right to complain about it according to Phil if you didn't vote. 

If you dislike it then become a patron and vote for different games.. That is what Phil has always said.. To blame the voters for this when they paid for what they wanted to see is really unfair and puts a sense of guilt on them that they shouldn't have.

Then Phil's frustrated reaction IMO going so far as to outright ban genres from choices.. Then continue to blame the voters for this predicament is quite unreal to me to see :/ its not at the fault of the patrons here if other non patrons don't want to watch. 

He can always add stipulations.. Like no direct sequels in a row or one genre for a month.. There are lots of ideas.. But his reaction I feel waa the wrong one. And undermines the whole CHOICE aspect of Patrons Choice.. And takes power away from voters over a predicament they had no involvement in other than voting for a game for Phil to play everything surrounding that? Shold not be countef against them. Period.

No Patron should feel guilty or shamed by anyone for what game they voted for.. Because it was a freedom of choice open to those who pledged money to have the right to vote. 

And likewise no one should be blaming them. Its not thier fault the "heavy hitter" games are on the way, or that Phil's voice is tiring out. That's not thier responsibility. The patrons aren't even demanding the playthrough be done right away. There is no reason why Phil couldn't play it on and off when there is time. 

I can sympathise with Phil's worries in finances and pressure with his schedule and time..but as Phil has always said uts in the oatrons hands.. But anything outaide of that isnt. But this outright ban.. I fully disagree with and gives even less incentive to pledge knowing your vote could be held against you by Phil himself or other viewers. 

• Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, Nicothenii said:

Fans like you who want to see new releases (or rather more action centric games) don't donate, or else it wouldn't have been picked in the first place. he's already gotten paid, it should be his focus.

Oh? The OP is a Most Respected Patreon so... yeah take that back son.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

40hrs is still too much. 

he has played or is playing games like RDR(And will play it's DLC) and DSII that are nearly twice the length of that.....and these were games Phil chose to play.

Edited by Blackspawn89
18 hours ago, Amityville said:

I would have voted for it, if i was a patron at the time, bite me.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:16 AM, ThatDogGuy said:

I know this got voted in Patrons Choice but I heard the game is about 60 hours long and we just had to sit through the first one. Not everyone wants to see Phil spend so much time playing one game and I see what he means about it restricting his business, so as a Patron myself I'm gonna suggest time limits on Patrons Choice? Cos I wont be watching this playthrough for sure as the game doesn't interest me and I fucking hate watching a playthrough which is mainly dialogue. It's not fair on other fans who want to see him play the new releases :smile: I can't be the only one who finds it boring. 

So yeah DSP maybe the Patrons choice in future can only be games which take less time to complete say max 30 hours? What do you think?

but on to the OP's post, I don't think time limits per say should be instituted. I think, however, patrons choice should be more action oriented games. Like, I would love to see him go back to Tales of Symphonia, one of my favorite Tales games of all time. I mean, the point of patrons choice is for Phil to play games he usually he wouldn't play right? I, for one, love Danganronpa, but I can see why voting for it RIGHT after the first game maybe wasn't the best idea. 

Then again, you're talking to a video game guy who loves really long games like Xenoblade Chronicles and all. I like most genre of games besides First Person Shooters. So either way I think I'd be fine with w/e the patrons vote for.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Amityville said:

Reading text for 60 hours... fucking boring. Just sayin.

Dude you realise the OP cant turn the poll arnd by himself right? I assume he didnt vote for DR and have no interest in it but bcos hes the minority so the poll didnt turn out the way he wanted.

i also have no interest in DR, but im not a patron so im not in the position to complain, and u shouldnt too.

what u should do is either try to convince the existing patrons like what the OP is doing, or become a patron and actually help vote against DR or for whatever game u choose. U shitting on the game will only piss the majority of the patrons off.

• Upvote 1
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, RichterTryhard said:

He can always add stipulations.. Like no direct sequels in a row or one genre for a month.. There are lots of ideas.. But his reaction I feel waa the wrong one. And undermines the whole CHOICE aspect of Patrons Choice.. And takes power away from voters over a predicament they had no involvement in other than voting for a game for Phil to play everything surrounding that? Shold not be countef against them. Period.

The power has already been taken away from the voters, with the No of votes stipulation DSP uses to decide which games go through to the poll stage, that's why I stopped donating to his patreon.

57 minutes ago, Amityville said:

No one plays a game to read a novel. Buy a fucking book if you want that.

That is a very inclusive statement there.  You might not prefer games with text in it, but written stories intertwined with gameplay has kinda been a component of games since the start of PC gaming.   Also, narrative games  must appeal to someone as they have quite a following and robust market on several digital gaming markets.

22 minutes ago, PoopMagnet said:

That is a very inclusive statement there.  You might not prefer games with text in it, but written stories intertwined with gameplay has kinda been a component of games since the start of PC gaming.   Also, narrative games  must appeal to someone as they have quite a following and robust market on several digital gaming markets.

Yeah, but I'm still massively confused how you people think thats exciting to watch on a stream.

6 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Yeah, but I'm still massively confused how you people think thats exciting to watch on a stream.

Watching a narrative game on a stream? Yes, that is a poor media to use for it.  My point in the conversation wasn't to say "Watching streaming of game type X is enjoyable" and more of "Playing game type X is enjoyable."  I don't care for most streams and LPs because they're just about the person reacting to them, never really have anything interesting to add, and quite frankly boring.  I rather just play the game then listen to someone drone on over a game and adding nothing to it but mindless prattle.

7 hours ago, Amityville said:

I have seen some fantastic Youtubers and streamers who are great at voice acting and improvising the narration of the visual novel games. So it can very well be entertaining. It takes a special kind of talent to pull off but it can be done.. And these arent tiny channels either that do many text heavy games. 

They are also nicely edited and normally run 30 minutes to an hour per part.

Its not your thing but some people lile myself like to hear a great story with a creative spin by a talented commentator. Sadly Phil's voices aren't very varied or creative and he doesn't improvise in his dialogue reading when he plays visual novel style games so of course it just comes off as straight reading sadly.. And why it can be boring to watch if you aren't already into the game itself.

Sometimes the voices made up by these Let's Players are so convincing and well performed and lively it becomes my head cannon for the actual characters. And many times these games do things no book or comic can convey.. Which is WHY its a game. Whether it be a mystery with investigating like Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa, Dating Sim like Asagao Academy or straight Visual Novel with choices and endings like Stiens Gate. These experiences are outstanding games and great Let's Plays when done right.

Edited by RichterTryhard
4 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Did you guys disagreeing with me see Phil's recent video on Danganropna 2? He litearlly agrees with everything I said - coincidence. 

And? What does Phil agreeing with you have to do with people diagreeing on the whole idea? People clearly already disagreed with Phil to begin with when it came to the bans of the genres. Plus you asked us what we thought.

And I felt I made some pretty clear points on the matter. Phil can do whatever he wants, but its not without consequences whether that be praise, backlash, a reaction, or the unfortunate trolling.

There is no "correct" side to this issue hence the discussion.. Regardless if Phil gets the final say because as he always likes to say its not black and white right? If he wants to say his way is right and anyone disagreeing is wrong then he can.. But that would not only be black and white but unnecessary.

I was of the belief that people who paid and pledged had priority since they are directly supporting Phil. If be wants to take power away from them so be it. But he cannot honestly just accept people to just take it and be silent. Its being talked about for a reason regardless what side you're on with the issue. 

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

And? What does Phil agreeing with you have to do with people diagreeing on the whole idea? People clearly already disagreed with Phil to begin with when it came to the bans of the genres. Plus you asked us what we thought.

And I felt I made some pretty clear points on the matter. Phil can do whatever he wants, but its not without consequences whether that be praise, backlash, a reaction, or the unfortunate trolling.

There is no "correct" side to this issue hence the discussion.. Regardless if Phil gets the final say because as he always likes to say its not black and white right? If he wants to say his way is right and anyone disagreeing is wrong then he can.. But that would not only be black and white but unnecessary.

I was of the belief that people who paid and pledged had priority since they are directly supporting Phil. If be wants to take power away from them so be it. But he cannot honestly just accept people to just take it and be silent. Its being talked about for a reason regardless what side you're on with the issue. 

Phil's opinion probably counts a hell of a lot more than ones such as yours. Just sayin'. :wink:

Edited by Amityville
13 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Did you guys disagreeing with me see Phil's recent video on Danganropna 2? He litearlly agrees with everything I said - coincidence. 

Except he specifically said before that he likes narrative based games, which you said you disliked, aka JRPG's and all.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:30 AM, Amityville said:

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

Phil's opinion probably counts a hell of a lot more than ones such as yours. Just sayin'. :wink:

People have different tastes. Going and generalizing an entire form of entertainment is unfair and bias. Just cause "you" don't like it doesn't mean there isn't an audience out there for people streaming visual novel type games.

And yeah while phil is the one in control of his content, I'm pretty sure he values everyone's opinion on his videos. Outside of the haters and all of course. Just sayin'. :happy:

On 7/23/2017 at 9:30 AM, Amityville said:

On 7/23/2017 at 3:39 AM, Amityville said:

Reading text for 60 hours... fucking boring. Just sayin.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:06 AM, Amityville said:

No one plays a game to read a novel. Buy a fucking book if you want that.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, Amityville said:

We get it dude. You are massively butthurt Danganronpa 2 won. Your bleeding rectum can be seen throughout multiple threads on the general forums. 

Edited by Aceman
  • Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, Aceman said:

We get it dude. You are massively butthurt Danganronpa 2 won. Your bleeding rectum can be seen throughout multiple threads on the general forums. 

Come on less of the hate for people who don't like the game, we're all entitled to our own opinions. :smile:

Some people like oranges some prefer apples. :wink:

Edited by ThatDogGuy