The King of Hate Forums
kill-chan

The Future of Monetization on Youtube

the rule now says if a video gets demonetized, you can't file a dispute if it didn't make 1000 views in the last week the video since it's been flagged, right?

well, if you turn it around, I think this is next for youtube:

NO monetization at all for videos with <1000 views in a week

#youtubepartyisover

Situation is much worse but I first have to make a correction. It's 1000 views in the last week. Still a shitty rule though.

Anyways you saw what happened to KOGaming. Nearly all of his videos were demonetized for no reason. Seriously. What's so advertiser unfriendly about video game reviews. Phil isn't the only one affected. Every day i'm hearing stories that every video a creator uploads is instantly demonetized no matter what it is. Then there are cases like this: 

0 ad revenue yet no indication of being demonetized.

Then there's the threat that YouTube will be disabling comments, likes, on demonetized videos as well as not recommending them (Does that mean they will be blacklisted from search?).

I'm calling. This is the end of YouTube.

While I'm not ready to call it dead, YouTube is undoubtedly in a very bad state right now. Seemingly random videos are getting flagged as non-ad friendly. I've also seen evidence that they may be blacklisting some channels.

As usual, YouTube has said absolutely nothing.

I really don't get what they are thinking. They know they are driving creators to alternative platforms (Twitch, etc) but they just don't seem to care. It seems more and more, despite them saying otherwise, that they really do want to be TV 2.0 and are catering to TV shows and movie makers.

Thank your favorite deity every day that Google did not end up buying Twitch.

39 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

0 ad revenue yet no indication of being demonetized.

I'm hearing that this is due to the system still being rolled out. Truth is a lot of these videos have apparently been demonetized for awhile but YouTube couldn't be arsed to make that obvious to the creators. 

Things are looking bad, but this doom-and-gloom isn't new. Here's to hoping someone with a shred of intelligence actually takes control over there.

• Upvote 1

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried to make their content popular just through facebook and twitter and make money out of content-related merch only?

Edited by onorub

3 minutes ago, onorub said:

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried to make their content popular through facebook and twitter and make money out of content-related merch only?

Facebook is pretty strict on allowing someome to make revenue. Don't know about twitter tho.

my point is , while now monetization is the rule and demonetization is the exception, the future will be the opposite.

I think the goal was that from the start, but instead of just doing that, yt went for the gradual approach.

I have a theory, but that's politics stuff and I don't really want to go deep into that so let's just say it like this:

one party won the the debate, but the loser party owns the platform. and they didn't like that.

all the other entertainment themed channels (so gaming etc) being hit by all of this was just a side effect.

Edited by kill-chan

45 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

While I'm not ready to call it dead, YouTube is undoubtedly in a very bad state right now.

I'll give them until the end of the year before the site fall apart.

And yeah.. The Youtube bubble has burst but it was bound to happen eventually. Whenever any new media platform starts getting huge and becoming the primary source of entertainment the laggards who own large corporations will eventually follow to stay relevant. And since they hold the money they can more or less maintain a level of control over the platform shaping it to something that is a shell of its former self. 

However.. Its not just that but the sheer quantity of content creators now too. Youtube has become too large for its own ability to control and still lacks conveying information to any of its users.. Always making changes without users getting a sense of where its headed or what thier goals are.

Now.. I firmly believe that as Youtube keeps pushing away content creators from making revenue it will be a very hobby driven website like when it started while existing next to the High productions of the corporations comtrolling the revenue. 

However.. Many content creators already were expecting this at some point.. That Youtube was always a very unstable high risk opportunity as a primary source of income.. Which is why many planned ahead for sponsorships, brand deals, and the more common transitions to Twitch and Patreon.

Also didn't Phil say he knew this was going to happen too? So I really am curious why he never bothered to expand other than maybe being too comfortable with his routine. 

I just started watching random videos. I'm not seeing ANY advertisements.

Edit: Adblock was on... Fuck me.

Edited by Nich2440

3 minutes ago, RichterTryhard said:

Also didn't Phil say he knew this was going to happen too? So I really am curious why he never bothered to expand other than maybe being too comfortable with his routine. 

That's the reason he went from Connecticut to Seattle, to lower his cost of life and make it easier for him to make his own business once he gathered enough money. He just didn't expect his debt to acummulate like it did.

Just now, onorub said:

That's the reason he went from Connecticut to Seattle, to lower his cost of life and make it easier for him to make his own business once he gathered enough money. He just didn't expect his debt to acummulate like it did.

So he was planning an entirely different business venture on top of his Youtube channel as his plan?

Just now, RichterTryhard said:

So he was planning an entirely different business venture on top of his Youtube channel as his plan?

If I recall his plan was to either open a restaurant or a production studio.

1 minute ago, RichterTryhard said:

Yeah, i think in 2014 he was even talking about how once he got his own business he would only do gigantic releases like The Last of Us was the year before.

5 minutes ago, onorub said:

Yeah, i think in 2014 he was even talking about how once he got his own business he would only do gigantic releases like The Last of Us was the year before.

Ah I see... That's quite an ambitious plan tho.

However after the move and with his business venture plans becoming improbable if it was 2014... That means that there was ample time to at least construct a new direction...especially since he knew eventually this would all happen. 

From what I understand he did Twitch and Patreon after the move right? But just never expanded or cooperated with other content creators. Or changed his routine.

I mean.. I am just curious what he was thinking as the revenue kept shrinking and never making a different plan to adapt to the change :/ because well..he knew he couldn't do it forever and that it could.end at any moment right? 

honestly if you can't get more than 1K views on a video, monetization probably doesn't matter much since noone is watching your stuff.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

And yeah.. The Youtube bubble has burst but it was bound to happen eventually. Whenever any new media platform starts getting huge and becoming the primary source of entertainment the laggards who own large corporations will eventually follow to stay relevant. And since they hold the money they can more or less maintain a level of control over the platform shaping it to something that is a shell of its former self. 

However.. Its not just that but the sheer quantity of content creators now too. Youtube has become too large for its own ability to control and still lacks conveying information to any of its users.. Always making changes without users getting a sense of where its headed or what thier goals are.

Now.. I firmly believe that as Youtube keeps pushing away content creators from making revenue it will be a very hobby driven website like when it started while existing next to the High productions of the corporations comtrolling the revenue. 

However.. Many content creators already were expecting this at some point.. That Youtube was always a very unstable high risk opportunity as a primary source of income.. Which is why many planned ahead for sponsorships, brand deals, and the more common transitions to Twitch and Patreon.

All YouTube did with this latest bullshit is just remove the fun people from their site, just look at the shit they promote it's so fucking bad. Patreon will be used a lot more now.

1 hour ago, Luckyfall said:

So with that logic you're basically saying that Phil deservers to get 95% of his videos demonetized. Ok then.

No, he didn't say that at all. Pay attention. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Then there's the threat that YouTube will be disabling comments, likes, on demonetized videos as well as not recommending them (Does that mean they will be blacklisted from search?).

I'm calling. This is the end of YouTube.

there's a theory right now that if u get too many demonetizations your entire channel is blacklisted. where no matter what video you upload it will instantly be demonetized seeing a lot of people stating this recently.

22 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

I'll give them until the end of the year before the site fall apart.

Actually, Youtube is far from falling apart.  Ppl seem to forget that YT is a free platform to upload videos.  They could pretty much keep all the ad revenue as payment for using server space.   They could also charge for using server space, just like how some company charge if you use too much cloud space.

Edited by Doki'loki517

11 minutes ago, Doki'loki517 said:

Actually, Youtube is far from falling apart.  Ppl seem to forget that YT is a free platform to upload videos.  They could pretty much keep all the ad revenue as payment for using server space.   They could also charge for using server space, just like how some company charge if you use too much cloud space.

Were you not paying attention? They said they were soon going to be making ad unfriendly videos unable to be recommended. Since more and more people are getting demonized unfairly they won't just lose ads. Their videos will also be hidden. This site is fucked.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nich2440 said:

Were you not paying attention? They said they were soon going to be making ad unfriendly videos unable to be recommended. Since more and more people are getting demonized unfairly they won't just lose ads. Their videos will also be hidden. This site is fucked.

Ppl that make ad unfriendly video are fuck.  Ppl needed to remember that there are a lot of ppl that make video and upload to YT.  Majority of theses uploaders video aren't mark as ad unfriendly.  

12 minutes ago, Doki'loki517 said:

Ppl that make ad unfriendly video are fuck.  Ppl needed to remember that there are a lot of ppl that make video and upload to YT.  Majority of theses uploaders video aren't mark as ad unfriendly.  

In general yes. However there is much that is too vague and where the "line" is as to when content becomes non ad friendly.

There are users who have become non ad friendly despite having very appropriate content and don't even swear.. 

And users who swear like pirates with explotive sexual or graohic content who are consideref ad friendly.

As far as what it seems. Looks to be a running at a case by case basis. 

1 minute ago, RichterTryhard said:

In general yes. However there is much that is too vague and where the "line" is as to when content becomes non ad friendly.

There are users who have become non ad friendly despite having very appropriate content and don't even swear.. 

And users who swear like pirates with explotive sexual or graohic content who are consideref ad friendly.

As far as what it seems. Looks to be a running at a case by case basis. 

A person cam have appropraite content and not be swearing like a drunken sailor, but ppl forget is how that person acts on the video or the message that person is conveying to the public.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doki'loki517 said:

A person cam have appropraite content and not be swearing like a drunken sailor, but ppl forget is how that person acts on the video or the message that person is conveying to the public.  

Oh yeah for sure. That is probably what is causing the vagueness. Since body language and how somone expresses themselves is not a clear rule...

19 hours ago, RichterTryhard said:

Oh yeah for sure. That is probably what is causing the vagueness. Since body language and how somone expresses themselves is not a clear rule...

It's may also be a reason why some of Phil's videos are being demonitized because of his constant rant about YT or gaming devs.  If I was an ad company and I had a choose between a video that had a person making negative comments against ppl or a video that doesn't.  I'll chooses the one without the negative comments or rants.  I wouldn't want a video associated with negativity.

Phil has every right to expresses his opinions, but ad companies also have the right to not place ads on what videos they see fit.

Edited by Doki'loki517
  • Upvote 1