The King of Hate Forums
Nich2440

Twitch Improvement Suggestions

This thread is all about how Phil can make improvements for his Twitch channel.

For starters Phil have you ever considered doing a sub only stream? Many streams reward their subs once a week with a stream in sub only mode. It might work with your weekly fighting streams however I also recommenced switching it up once in a while (For example play Dead by Daylight).

Also as I said before more focus on IRL streams out side of Hate Live. As was suggested reviews can be live streamed with chat discussions. But the same can work for any vlog where you talk to the camera such as rants, impressions, or reactions. Donations can make it profitable and then they can be archived on TKOHV.

Finally you can do edited videos and them premier them on live stream followed by a discussion. For example a countdown. Plus you could do a countdown in the style of a vlog. Just talk to the camera when discussing the nominees and then edit in captions. The same can work for DSP Tries it.

The best improvements can Phil make for his Twitch channel if he make per month a Kickstarter Review and per week a Steam Review. I try to explain it , phil play games for fun but the problem is he gets bored and his fans too. He plays old games and frustrated with their difficulties, this is his weakness. In Kickstarter Review he can watch Game Trailers from developer and speak interactive with chat. There are very funny videos and free demos. This would be good as a reaction. In Steam Review he can get free steam codes for unknown games  which he never played from chat and play once a week. That would guarantee an interest for viewers. 

His strength is to play unknown games. Every old game he plays he get lots of dislikes and nonsense Comments, like my 8years sister can better play this game or something else. 

Hello Neighbor would be suitable for the beginning, but the problem is a lot of youtubers play this game. But if he play games like Pathalogic,  Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura or other unknown games, he gets popularity  do you know why because he plays his own way and makes the game special. I give you an example.

Pewdiepie plays early Amnesia, Happy Wheels and Crappy Games. He would not have played the games back then. He became popular. 

The problem by phil is, he plays good games and gets quickly bored. 

http://pathologic-game.com/images/press/art.en/choices.png

The best Twitch improvements Phil can make is to stop waiting months to implement changes that other Twitch Streamers have been doing for years. Phil's big problem is he's always late to the party, reaaalllly late. I remember when he was against pledges, cheers, tips, and all that shit over some "moral responsibility" he had to himself to not "sellout" until he eventually had to. Its not selling out, your adapting to the times. Phil just has to get out of that mentality of "My way is better than your way so fuck you and everyone that tell's me different" hard-headed stubborn personality and just watch, listen, adapt for a change instead of berating and belittling fans that end up right in the long run.

• Like 1

There's this bit notification called bit boss. When a person cheers their name stays on the screen and the amount they cheered become their HP bar. Future cheers damages the boss's HP and the person who defeats it becomes the new bit boss.

One thing I've been noticing is the length of pre-streams have been really long. Once the stream goes live there's 15-10 minutes of setup while we listen to the remixes, then the actual pre-stream sometimes goes as long as 40 minutes (Today it was 50 minutes!). This means that gameplay doesn't start for almost an hour. And with an intermission of almost 30 minutes that means a 4.5 hour stream only produces 3 hours of gameplay.

A streamer I watch did a stream today and his pre-stream lasted 13 minutes. He played music for 7 minutes while he set up, advertised his stuff in 3 minutes and did shoutouts in 3 and then jumped straight into the game. Now imagine if Phil did that AND started an hour earlier like he's doing today. That would be an extra two hours of gameplay. Then he wouldn't have to double streams every day leaving more time to unwind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckyfall said:

Yes! Shorter prestream means more gameplay which is always a good thing.

Not necessarily. My idea was to go from 11:30AM to 5:00PM with a 15 minute prestream (including the setup) and one 15 minute break resulting in 5 hours of gameplay (What he normally puts out) so he doesn't need to do a second stream and have more time to himself.

If he then did his usual 2 hour night stream then yes there would be more content but that would likely ware him out.

Just realized that nearly all the prestreams as of late have been 40 or even 50 minutes long and that doesn't include the setup where the remixes play. Honestly he should start the game as soon as the remixes end and everything is setup. Having the first hour of the stream be a giant channel update isn't really effective IMO. It should only take 5 minutes at the most to advertise Patreon and teespring. That way he gets more gameplay in and finishes the games faster.

This is the easiest and most effective change he can implement on Twitch.

My opinion on pre-streams. I'm speaking generally, not specifically about DSP's streams.

As a viewer:

If I hop onto a random stream, if they aren't playing the game or obviously about to start, 9 times out of 10 I'm gone in 30 seconds or less. Even if it's a streamer I watch regularly, if they announce a stream is starting & they fart around for more than 3-5 minutes I'm out. I understand that sometimes you want to get warmed up or whatever but announce the stream is started when you're actually ready to go.

As a streamer:

My stream will have a set start time (aka 1:00 PM.) My pre-stream will start 10-15 minutes before that. I will advertise the pre-stream but I will make it clear that it is a pre-stream, not the game. When it's the announced start time, I will send a Tweet announcing that the gameplay stream has started and I will hop into the game immediately. By doing this consistently, my viewers know what days/time my gameplay stream starts and they know that, if they want to, they can hop in 15 minutes early for a little bit of pre-stream banter.

2 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

My opinion on pre-streams. I'm speaking generally, not specifically about DSP's streams.

As a viewer:

If I hop onto a random stream, if they aren't playing the game or obviously about to start, 9 times out of 10 I'm gone in 30 seconds or less. Even if it's a streamer I watch regularly, if they announce a stream is starting & they fart around for more than 3-5 minutes I'm out. I understand that sometimes you want to get warmed up or whatever but announce the stream is started when you're actually ready to go.

As a streamer:

My stream will have a set start time (aka 1:00 PM.) My pre-stream will start 10-15 minutes before that. I will advertise the pre-stream but I will make it clear that it is a pre-stream, not the game. When it's the announced start time, I will send a Tweet announcing that the gameplay stream has started and I will hop into the game immediately. By doing this consistently, my viewers know what days/time my gameplay stream starts and they know that, if they want to, they can hop in 15 minutes early for a little bit of pre-stream banter.

I agree. That has always been one suggestion I have always been an advocate for. Shorten the prestream or just tweet out when the actual gameplay is starting. In addition, cause I remember DSP said he does the pre-stream and stuff so people can join in. In that case, a good compromise, imo, would be to tweet out "Hey, guys stream startup is beginning." Then, maybe "Alright, prestream and setup is done gameplay is beginning now." This is just a small suggestion though. 

I highly would say...Phil should start working wi th his fan base. do videos with them, play more games with them.

his fan base could help n reach out to other streamers n YouTube people to see if they can work with him.

Hey Phil and Phil fan base Mundane Matt did say since both him n Phil lives in the same city that he is willing to work with Phil for free.

to show Phil what he can n should do to fix his ever growing problems on YouTube n twich.

I believe the two should work together.

The first i thing i saw by phil, he speak over 40 to 50 Minutes Prestream. This is ridiculous. I remember his Minecraft first run lets play, i think this is around 29 parts. He gets over 30k views, the problem is he does not have that as outgoing playthrough instead he play multiplayer games like pubg or call of duty. No wonder his fanbase dont grow.

If he speak about taxes or his 10 year legacy for 10 minutes this is enough for him to cover his situation. If you live in europe or asia and watch his stream everyone wonders why he does not play the games and talks about things that have no relevant information for the viewers. I have no problem if he found a lot of bugs or complain about developer. This is his opinion we have to respect it. I give you an example a lot of viewers want him to play kingdom come deliverance.  He denies that because certain people told him it is buggy and he would lose interest.

This is false. If you don't know this game, then play it. Nobody forces him to play that. But if the viewers wish that and in twitch this is very popular. It has about 80.000 followers.

He need to play unknown games then he gets the popularity. Here is a Demo of Pathalogic 2 PAX WEST 2017, you can see tinyBuild Alex Nichiporchik.

25 minutes ago, Yukmouf said:

I don't think Phil does much research on games he plays. I think he literally goes by what a fan or 2 says and he agrees with it no matter if 100 other fans tell him something otherwise. It wouldn't be a problem with me if Phil wasn't so off base with his comments and then fly off the handle if you disagree with him or deletes/silences proof of him being wrong.

My only suggestion to Phil for his Twitch to grow is to maybe do some more research on the games he plays and look at other more successful streamers and see if he can take any of their attributes and apply them to himself.

But these things require effort though...

I agree with that, a thing which is strange that phil just ignore the other fans. I can understand if they were trolls and want laugh about him. Remember he said he dont follow other successful streamers. He could also do a kickstarter review it would work that way. First he goes to kickstarter page then he go to games genre and show all. He look with twitch viewers different games. It could be trash games. He rates and says if he would play that in the future, he does not have to force the viewers to fund there. He gets lots of views because nobody would expect anything from him. This is his reaction and the viewers and review at the same time. I saw this by Dansgaming and the name is Kickstarter Reviews in Talk Shows. He does that every month.  Where is the problem Phil could make every 2 weeks. The name could be Review the King: Kickstarter Edition Month X.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156314341

Edited by alex89

And how's that our fault? It's not our job to police the chat when Phil isn't there, it's to keep the chat civil during the stream. And why would you be in the stream when it's offline for several more hours anyway? There's no reason to take a look when nobody would be there normally.

38 minutes ago, Yukmouf said:

Several people send bits and cheers when Phil is offline. Imagine a Jewish or a Japanese fan wanted to come in and support Phil but can't catch the live stream and saw this? They'd be highly offended. Especially knowing how aggressive mods can be while the chat is live only to fall off or not care when the live stream is over. Moderators job is to moderate the chat, that should include off hours as well. If that is a problem then maybe Phil should reconsider who is moderator and determine if the current moderators want to actually do their jobs, or just enjoy actively banning people.

IDK, but it kind of seems like you are contradicting yourself. You want the mods to ban those people but then you passive aggressively trying to make them seem bad when they ban ppl.

We've been getting that kind of spam for a while now. Ban one of these and another account takes it place, every time. It's the bot's job to moderate chat during off-hours, so I've made further adjustments to help deal with this.

Thanks for your concern.

.1) Weekly podcasts.

You should do Hate Live more often. It would defeat the need for the WIP which no one watches and give people a chance to interact with discussions. If you do one a week they would be shorter and you may be able to merge Ask the King with it and get people asking questions more often.

It would also be fair to make pre-streams shorter by asking that people save their questions for podcasts and chill gameplay streams.

2) Throwback Thursdays. 

Say once a week you play 2-4 hours of a classic playthrough on stream and talk in chat. It gives you a chance to rest while still having content to stream.

3) Archives and Reruns

When an archive is saved on Twitch can set it so that only subs can watch. Just an idea. But you can also host a rerun which will queue one or more streams and play it automatically on your channel. If you leave up podcasts, or these classic paythroughs as archives then you would be building up a collection of classic content that can be replayed whenever you want. This means you don't need to be on stream every day to have content.

And the best part is you can run ads during these restreams.

5) Let subs vote on events too.

How? Create a room on Twitch for subs only. It's like a separate live chat except the messages don't disappear when you leave so subs can leave their nominations whenever they choose. Then maybe the top four games can go into a Twitter poll?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

1) Weekly podcasts.

You should do Hate Live more often. It would defeat the need for the WIP which no one watches and give people a chance to interact with discussions. If you do one a week they would be shorter and you may be able to merge Ask the King with it and get people asking questions more often.

I think doing Hate Live once a month makes more sense since it gives Phil a chance to build up subjects to talk about, I would keep Ask the King separate, especially since it's part of a Patreon perk, it's already diluted enough as it is when he answers questions during his streams.

When an archive is saved on Twitch can set it so that only subs can watch.

It's worth an experiment, especially since he already has content archived on Youtube.

5) Let subs vote on events too.

How? Create a room on Twitch for subs only. It's like a separate live chat except the messages don't disappear when you leave so subs can leave their nominations whenever they choose. Then maybe the top four games can go into a Twitter poll?

Could be a good idea, would cut out some of the trolls, needs the right balance so that it doesn't devalue the incentive for pledging to Patreon.

I'd like the camera moved to one of the top corners instead of in the middle of the screen (assuming the UI isn't being covered), also maybe make the camera box a bit smaller as it currently has a lot of your wall and stuff that doesn't need to be seen. I'm trying to watch your new Silent Hill 2 playthrough and the size and placement of the camera box is right in front of gameplay, it would be perfect top right.

I totally agree with the pre stream stuff. Phil is not a big enough streamer to be rambling on for 45+mins and keep people interested. He tweets out what he's playing that specific week, he does a week in preview video too. There is no reason to talk about it for 25+mins everyday. He could easily do his plugs/shoutouts in 10mins after the music stuff stops and get on with what people have come for, actual gameplay. Not stories, not fan made overlays with music, not dragging out an answer to one tip for 15mins. People who tend to do long pre stream stuff, generally have a lot of viewers, 5000+. Phil doesn't, if a new viewer pops in and decideds to stick around for a bit to watch gameplay, only to be waiting 30mins for the game, then they'll leave and wont come back.  There is no reason why his prestreams should last longer than 20mins and even that is pushing it too long. 

6 hours ago, fluffernut said:

I totally agree with the pre stream stuff. Phil is not a big enough streamer to be rambling on for 45+mins and keep people interested. He tweets out what he's playing that specific week, he does a week in preview video too. There is no reason to talk about it for 25+mins everyday. He could easily do his plugs/shoutouts in 10mins after the music stuff stops and get on with what people have come for, actual gameplay. Not stories, not fan made overlays with music, not dragging out an answer to one tip for 15mins. People who tend to do long pre stream stuff, generally have a lot of viewers, 5000+. Phil doesn't, if a new viewer pops in and decideds to stick around for a bit to watch gameplay, only to be waiting 30mins for the game, then they'll leave and wont come back.  There is no reason why his prestreams should last longer than 20mins and even that is pushing it too long. 

You're repeating yourself. We already know you despise prestream. Not gonna change cos others like it. Try skipping the first 30 mins or so if you're this adverse to it.

Also prestream is a great way for Phil to get out his issues and keep the rest of the stream on topic rather than being all over the place.

Edited by Amityville

50 minutes ago, Amityville said:

You're repeating yourself. We already know you despise prestream. Not gonna change cos others like it. Try skipping the first 30 mins or so if you're this adverse to it.

Also prestream is a great way for Phil to get out his issues and keep the rest of the stream on topic rather than being all over the place.

I posted the last one in the wrong forum. If you check at the bottom, I asked for that one to be deleted but you replied to it. Regarding your comment on the other post, I'm not saying he has to dye his hair blue and be fake. But what he's doing now obviously isn't working. He's not the big shot on Youtube anymore, he's a SMALL twitch streamer. Whatever Ninja chooses to do, works for him, just look at his views and the money he makes (again pointing out, I don't and have never watched him. But it's not hard to know who he is). What Phil does, doesn't work. If it did, he wouldn't be always complaining about money/views etc. He wouldn't be in the financial position he's in with taxes, debts etc if he was successful. Like I said, this isn't 2010, he isn't as big as he used to be. He needs to change things up or risk falling even further down the order. Going by views/popularity/money, what he's doing isn't working. And no disrespect but it's people like you, the "yes" men who agree with everything he does and falsely claims that things are great. That doesn't help him grow . that doesn't make him change and that will make him become even more irrelevant because of it.  Todays pre stream was 1hour 20mins btw. 1 hour 20mins of nonsense, things that were covered yesterday. Which is beyond wrong.

Edited by fluffernut

Personally I enjoy Phil's pre-streams, at least the shoutout parts. The other parts are more 50/50 but I think are necessary for newer viewers or viewers that are out of the loop.

To me at least the pre-streams kind of replace a daily vlog and gives us more insight into the man behind the webcam. I also like the more extended and in depth answers to tips that aren't really feasible during gameplay. 

This thread started in Sept of 2017 has seen an number of very good suggestions.  Suggestions I do not feel that @PhiI has taken the time to read as I can safety say that none have been implemented. I will at this time point out that many are well known, well used and financially solvent suggestions having over the past going on 2 years been implemented by other streamers to great success.  @PhiI should scroll up to read them.  I'll add some others:

1) Be on time.   .    .   period

The stream is set at quarter past the hour.  I can count on one hand the number of times the stream started at that time in the last month.  This is Okay.  If it is too early, then set the start time to half past.  If the stream manages to start early, then viewers would have to sit through less songs of the 15 min + pre-prestream as I call this segment. 

Why do I say that being on time to start a stream that has 15+mins of music pre-prestream?  The stream is posted to start at a certain time.  I will wager that 95% of the viewers either have jobs or classes to attend and know to be on time.  Repeated tardiness in our society is frowned on and learned at an early age.  Streamers, unlike employees and students, make their own schedules. If quarter past 10AM is to early, then set the time back.  The streamer's audience is not only their customers, but also their Boss.  A shop that regularly opens late or an employee who regularly shows up late for work will see negative repercussions irl.  Going out on a limb, but I will proffer that the 15+ mins of songs is a buffer for tardiness.  While this may work on regular viewers who know to tune in at half past, potential new repeat viewers do not.  A streamer should be on time to start their stream or push that start time back to a time they can manage.

2)  The streamer should engage their audience without having to be prompted to do so.

It is the streamer/YTer, the entertainer, who should drive engagement.  Tell stories.  Ask questions.  Doing so will drive income as viewers strive to have their message read ( a-la the Minecraft stream goldmine so many others discovered years ago).  This is why the successful streamers/YTers keeps ontop of whatever is relevant to their stream be it games, current events or social media/memes.  The streamer/Yter should inform their audience not be informed by them.  Folks in this profession are not called 'Influencers' for nothing.  Streamers/YTers should strive to be ahead of the curve, ahead of their audience not behind it.  They should at the very least be up to speed.  Before the 'I can't get games early' card is thrown, being Ahead of the curve means the Streamer does the research and reaches out to the devs.  Once you have the game early, what can anyone do?  This takes time and effort though.  This is why being a successful streamer/YTer is not a 9-5 job.  It takes work after the stream is over, after the vid is edited and published.  It takes the work of Seeking out the games that are being made before they become common knowledge.  It takes time and effort.  Does every game pan out? No.  Can being on the forefront pay off? YES!  PlagueTail did not come out of nowhere.  It wasn't even an 'Indie title'*.  Which is why so many other people were streaming the game, which caught the eye or your @PhiI's audience, who repeatedly asked it to be played in a timely manner.

"stupid questions" are asked by Fans.  It is known, that you, @PhiI may not understand why they ask as you have proclaimed to never had any role models, been interested in sports nor have any hobbies, one may safety say that 99.9% of other people have one or more of these as a point of interest.  Thus they ask questions.  As a streamer/Yter, it is part o f the job to answer these questions: Favorite this or that.  If you truly do not have a favorite anything ( which boggles the mind) then make something up.  It's not that difficult.  Role-players do it all the time.  I can offer you several Character Creation sheets with questions to answer for your character**.  It's a simple matter of staying IC ( In-Character) during streams.  Countless streamers, Yters and Role-Players do this.  Prestreams can then be OOC ( Out-Of-Character ) the way role-players talk with each other outside of RPing up to the Cheer/Tip segment where you @PhiI then go IC.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asobo_Studio  

**    https://www.roleplayingtips.com/characters/character-questionnaires/

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams