The King of Hate Forums
Aceman

Emergency video discussion

I'm going to make another very long, harsh, but (IMO) fair post. Why? I have no fucking clue. It will most likely be ignored because it's pointed but maybe, just maybe, some of this shit will finally sink in. My criticisms will be harsh but I'm following them up with ways to improve so don't mistake this is just some tirade where I shit on you, Phil.  No, nothing in this post is going to fix your situation right now but MAYBE some of this will help you in the long term. 

---

It's painfully apparent to anyone who's been paying attention that Phil is awful at managing his finances. He tries to deflect this by saying how we can't see the details & it's speculation. However, it doesn't take full access to his bank statements to see he cannot properly live within his means. I'm not saying this just to shit on you Phil; I'm saying it to point out that you need help getting this under control. 

Wether it's a friend, relative, whatever, you need to talk to someone who can look at your spending habits and help get them locked down. I'd say that you can check out websites for this info but quite frankly I don't believe you have the self discipline or self awareness to be able to trim the financial fat from you life.  You will always come up with an excuse as to why you NEED to buy this or that. When you're going on and on about how tough you have it financially then turn around and buy shit you don't need like Starbucks you obviously have a problem.

"But it was only a $2 cup of coffee!"

And that attitude right there is why you need help getting this under control. Not a penny should be spent without a damn good reason for doing so. "I deserve it" isn't a good reason. "It's not much" isn't a good reason. 

---

Watching the latest emergency videos I just.... Jesus. Look, I'm not trying to pile on you here, but it absolutely blows my mind that you believe the things you do.  For example, you say you only have "1-2 hours" to whip up something and that's why you eat unhealthy.  Seriously? You can't take a chicken breast/fish fillet out of the freezer/fridge, throw it in the oven for 30-45 minutes and open up 1-2 cans of vegetables??? If you really want to be smart, you make a bunch of the chicken at once, throw the leftovers in the fridge and re-heat it in ~5 minutes as you need it.  With 10-15 minutes of prep time and 50 minutes of cook time you've got lunch/dinner for several days. This stuff is common sense man...

This may seem a small nit to pick but it's indicative of a larger issue with your inability to critically evaluate and resolve a situation. Your current approach seems to be "Welp, I can't immediately think of an answer, guess there isn't one." There are plenty of ways to eat healthy(er) while on a limited budget and schedule. 

---

Be a man and take responsibility for yourself. You feel "beaten up" because you blame everyone else for anything bad that happens to you. When you look at the world through a lens where you are at fault for almost nothing then yes, it seems that the world is against you. This isn't to say that all of the bad things that happen were totally under your control, but a LOT of the things you say are completely out of your hands aren't.

When you place blame and responsibility on others it takes the power (and blame) away from you and gives it to someone else. It's up to you to own it and 1) figure out how to fix/work around it and 2) figure out how it could have been avoided to avoid it happening again. 

There are a few things you 100% honestly couldn't control. They suck but guess what; welcome to Real Life. We all have to deal with it. You aren't unique here.  You need to HONESTLY evaluate how you get into these messes so that you can figure out how to get out of them, avoid them, and improve. To be blunt, I think you need 3rd party help here because it's apparent that you aren't great at viewing yourself and these situations in an unbiased light.

---

Let's deal with this copyright strike situation. You've hung your hat on this being the death knell for your channel for a long time, so let's investigate.

First off, in the video you phrase it as if your views were fine until the copyright strikes happened. You had to delete a ton of vids so the view count dropped, came back up but then continued to decline overall. You phrase this in such a way as to blame the strikes for your loss in viewership due to losing your place in Google/YouTube search.

These 2 charts show your average views/month and total views/month.  You can see the huge downward spike when the strike occurred around August 2015. However, you can also see that your overall peak was November 2011. On average, you've been in steady decline since then. 

2017-09-19_1059.thumb.png.411b966b26487f5ca3a5158764193ad9.png

January 2012 : 8.96 M views (total)

January 2013: 6.1 M views

January 2014: 3.58 M views

January 2015: 3.4 M views

January 2016: 2.73 M views

January 2017: 2.03 M views

So no, you did not see a sudden, continued decrease in viewership only after the strikes.  It had been happening since about January 2012 so before the strike and even before the TIHYDP montages gained real momentum.

Now let's address this whole thing about you being removed from search results. I don't have a time machine so I cannot say if and to what extent you were "removed" from the search algorithm immediately after but I had a post up about a year ago (can't find it now for some reason) where I tested and showed, via an incognito browser, that DSPgaming DOES still show up in some general searches. Of course, this was ignored and Phil kept claiming his stuff wasn't showing up so I did yet another test and forum post a couple of weeks ago. In it I even logged into a REMOTE, CLEAN virtual machine and was able to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that DSPgaming does, in fact, show up in searches on YouTube without having to be overly specific. For example, if you searched for "Hellblade Playthrough," DSPgaming showed up 3 times on the page.

Do you get #1 spot for every playthrough you do? No, nor should you. There are many more channels that have larger viewerships or work harder on SEO than you. Just because you USED to always get on page 1 doesn't mean you get to have that spot forever. You're still frequently getting there with minimal SEO effort and for that you should be grateful. I can spend 30-60+ minutes working on SEO and not get page 1.

So, as mentioned in the last portion; stop blaming things that are "out of your control" for the waning of your channel's popularity. Unless you can give good evidence to the contrary, the copyright strike was just a minor blip on the downward trend of your channel. The channel's viewership has been in decline since BEFORE this supposed "wave of negativity" starting to pick up popularity.

---

Stop with the "Working your ass off" schtick. I'm not arguing that being a YouTuber/Twitch streamer isn't a job, because it absolutely is. There is also more to a YouTube/Twitch job than the vast majority realize. However, you hamming it up like you're doing all this crazy stuff behind the scenes is nonsense.

For example, one of your go-tos is that you have to "supervise" uploads. There is no need to "Supervise" uploads. All you have to do is drag/drop the file(s), make a title, add a thumbnail, then mass copy/paste description and tags via the YouTube tool. If I'm being VERY generous it takes maybe 30 seconds per video, less if you don't use thumbnails. So, even if you were doing 30 videos in a day, you're looking at 15 minutes ABSOLUTE TOPS, but more like 5-10 minutes.  Drag-and-drop those vids, go start that chicken cooking, then come back and finish up thumbnails/titles/etc.

I think a big reason you do this is because the vast majority of your audience doesn't do this stuff themselves so when you say things like "Supervise uploads" or "prep to stream" or "handle social media" they think that these things actually take a significant amount of time (they don't) and it keeps you from having to critically evaluate how efficiently you're using your time (see above with the healthy food.) It goes right back to the "Nothing I can do" mentality. Yes it's a meme but I don't think you've really thought about how that expression really encapsulates your worldview. Again, when you refuse to take responsibility, you don't have to worry about thinking "How can I do this harder/better/faster/stronger?" You've already given up; if there's nothing you can do, you're helpless, so why bother trying, right?

Stop, take a step back and look at how you use your time. What could be cut? What could be trimmed? How could I be more efficient? Maybe set up a daily schedule for yourself to keep yourself on task.

-----

Re-evaluate what you do and how to improve your reach. I've seen suggestions such as having tournaments in Street Fighter, CoD, or whatever, where it's "Team DSP" vs "Team Detractor." I bet a ton of people would show up for something like this. More views gets you higher up the list on Twitch, which brings in more people. If you're a good sport, you could turn more of those "detractors" into fans or at least viewers.  You did this a bit with that Twitch party game (I forget the name), think along those lines. Think outside the box. Use some of the negative attention in your favor. 

Unless you want to be known as an asshole, you should also tone down your shit talking as well. You, again, try to dismiss your bad mouthing of opponents (especially in Street Fighter) as "just telling the truth," but you know that's bullshit. Any sane person hearing you say the shit you do about your opponents is going to, rightfully, assume you're an asshole.  The problem is you try to frame these situations as you WANT them to be seen, not how an average, thinking person one. 

----

TL;DR - Stop blaming others, get help from someone you trust to get your finances in order, take responsibility, stop acting like your job is especially taxing when it's quite the opposite, stop blaming others, the channel has been on the decline for reasons other than the copyright strikes, take responsibility, eat chicken, stop blaming others, take responsibility. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moka'roka said:

If he did nothing wrong and his getting audit by the IRS he shouldn't be worried.....

He shouldn't be worried if he filed everything correctly and can provide proof of all his tax write offs.

When I said Phil did a complete 180 on his stance of whether his YouTube channel is a business spoke volumes, I meant it. Phil would cuss out and ban people who even thought his YouTube channel wasn't a business, to go from that and say publically "this is not a business, I don't legally own any businesses" while giving hints to what appears to be him going through a possible audit from the IRS.... tells me he might of written off some things under being an official business and won't be able to show any proof of a real business during an audit. 

But this is all totally hypothetical, im just coming up with a scenario that would distress DSP so much he does a quick 180 on certain things he had a stern perspective on in the past like his "business" and the validity of Socialblade.

Edited by PoorLanken

23 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Watching the latest emergency videos I just.... Jesus. Look, I'm not trying to pile on you here, but it absolutely blows my mind that you believe the things you do.  For example, you say you only have "1-2 hours" to whip up something and that's why you eat unhealthy.  Seriously? You can't take a chicken breast/fish fillet out of the freezer/fridge, throw it in the oven for 30-45 minutes and open up 1-2 cans of vegetables??? If you really want to be smart, you make a bunch of the chicken at once, throw the leftovers in the fridge and re-heat it in ~5 minutes as you need it.  With 10-15 minutes of prep time and 50 minutes of cook time you've got lunch/dinner for several days. This stuff is common sense man...

This I have to agree with as that is how I make meals a lot of the time, although I don't even bother with cans of veg I mostly defrost frozen veg in the microwave in 5 mins lol.

25 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

First off, in the video you phrase it as if your views were fine until the copyright strikes happened. You had to delete a ton of vids so the view count dropped, came back up but then continued to decline overall. You phrase this in such a way as to blame the strikes for your loss in viewership due to losing your place in Google/YouTube search.

I always got the impression from what phil was saying in his various videos that the copyright strikes were the tipping point for his ability to maintain the standard of living he needed to cover his monthly expenses, rather than the beginning of the decline of his views.

2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

People saying he's in trouble with the IRS are being disrespectful, you think Phil doesn't pay taxes?!

being audited by the IRS doesnt mean your in trouble.  

Edited by moka'roka

22 minutes ago, kill-chan said:

just watched the video.

...health issue?

He mentioned being contacted at a point after a stream, didn't he? If it is health issues, I don't see whose it would be unless it was his one/both of his parents and he had to move back to CT to assist them. (I really hope its not something terrible like that). And even in that scenario, I don't think he'd specifically phrase the situation as losing the house.

7 minutes ago, Amityville said:

People saying he's in trouble with the IRS are being disrespectful, you think Phil doesn't pay taxes?!

Being audited doesn't mean you didn't pay your taxes or guarantee you are in trouble. You can still get in trouble or be audited by the IRS even if you do pay your taxes. We really have no way of knowing anything for sure but it doesn't mean the IRS situation is ruled out unless Phil says so. He has already mentioned having to file multiple times in the year and we have known when he took days to do that so we know Phil does his taxes.

Edited by Another_Derich

3 hours ago, Amityville said:

he could pay his taxes and still get in trouble with the IRS. the IRS doesnt go after just people who dont pay their taxes.

3 hours ago, kill-chan said:

just watched the video.

...health issue?

no dsp said it has to do with something behind the scenes and has nothing to do with his health.

For the record, none of you are actually correct on your assumptions. I knew people would be going crazy with this though. Apparently there's even a conspiracy theory about a shell company....nope, lol. Not even close there.

Like I said, this issue is something 100% out of my control and something I didn't do wrong. I'm pretty sure making up shell companies to lie on my taxes would be a big issue that I would be responsible for. And I'm pretty sure any intelligent tax attorney wouldn't put their name on a tax filing with blatant lies. So try again, lol.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

For the record, none of you are actually correct on your assumptions. I knew people would be going crazy with this though. Apparently there's even a conspiracy theory about a shell company....nope, lol. Not even close there.

Like I said, this issue is something 100% out of my control and something I didn't do wrong. I'm pretty sure making up shell companies to lie on my taxes would be a big issue that I would be responsible for. And I'm pretty sure any intelligent tax attorney wouldn't put their name on a tax filing with blatant lies. So try again, lol.

wish you could clear up what's going on, but I imagine the reason you don't wanna bring it up is cause of the detractors making things worse maybe.

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well if it ain't the IRS, it's the bank. Either way you can't say "I didn't do anything wrong whatsoever" when this is your house at risk. You either didn't (or weren't able to) pay something, you're too risky to uphold your house loan agreement, or you maxed out business cards when you don't legally own a business. Whatever it is, you can't take 0 responsibility for you losing your own house. Plus it aint like if one of us was correct you'd tell us anyways! Whatever it is though, hope it doesn't affect your content and I hope you get through it.

I'm glad the IRS thing is wrong then cause they are an absolute bitch to deal with. Not sure what it is but guessing once it blows over or reaches a tipping point we will be told.

Something like the property manager deciding to get rid of all the houses and develop something new in the area? Something completely out of his control leaves very little things it could be and really makes it hard to know what it could possibly be

Question for Phil. Is this an issue that needs to be solved with better income? For example if ad revenue randomly increased to how it was before the ad boycott?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How can you be at risk of losing your house and it be 100% out of your control? Please clear this up for people.

This was exactly the thing I warned about. I knew this thread would devolve into reckless and only loosely on topic speculation.

Edited by Veera

Yeah this thread has just evolved into a complete reckless speculation as Veera said. As nobody has any real information, and the only person who does (Phil) has so clearly stated that he is not going to tell us this thread is going nowhere...but go ahead guys keep laying down your conspiracy theories because we all know that's going to help. I gotta say that I knew this was gonna happen because people want to know whats going on. Anyways the mods should probably close this thread because it is anything but constructive.

9 minutes ago, DeepDrive said:

Yeah this thread has just evolved into a complete reckless speculation as Veera said. As nobody has any real information, and the only person who does (Phil) has so clearly stated that he is not going to tell us this thread is going nowhere...but go ahead guys keep laying down your conspiracy theories because we all know that's going to help. I gotta say that I knew this was gonna happen because people want to know whats going on. Anyways the mods should probably close this thread because it is anything but constructive.

Well of course people are gonna speculate when you constantly keep something a mystery the mind jumps to conclusions. If dsp didnt want mindless speculation he shouldn’t have made that vid and just kept it brief and simple. 

Phil said go ahead and speculate in the video and that he knew people were going to do it. It was a video that asked for moral support that had very vague information about what is happening so of course people are going to speculate. I also don't see how it is "reckless" when as far as we know, people aren't making up "conspiracies" in this thread and then spreading them all over the place. 

Its just speculation. We don't know what is going to help or hurt his situation right now because we don't have that information. We have a lot of discussion threads that aren't constructive. I don't see why this one specifically would be closed.

This thread was one of very few possibilities that would happen given the video we saw last night. 

Edited by Another_Derich
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DeepDrive said:

We aren't allowed to speculate but DSP is allowed to make a 26 minute ambiguous video about doom and gloom befalling him. It wouldn't be fair to not allow us to discuss what we think. If he didn't want speculation he shouldn't have made the video. 

As someone that has gone through some shit with the IRS, you really have to fuck them to really be in trouble.  You can sign up for multi-year payment plans and they're more than willing to work with you, so I don't think it's some tax issue.  I hope everything works out and if he ends up moving back to CT, maybe it's for the best.

Edited by Rufus