The King of Hate Forums

Emergency video discussion

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to make another very long, harsh, but (IMO) fair post. Why? I have no fucking clue. It will most likely be ignored because it's pointed but maybe, just maybe, some of this shit will finally

Some people are just INCREDIBLY stupid. Seriously. When you order a business account from Comcast, you're asked to give them a company name. You can't leave it blank, I tried and they told me I a

Just saw the video in its entirety and just from certain things said, timing, and the uncertainty, I would guess Phil is in danger of losing his house to either the IRS or to the bank for missed payme

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, ragoslice said:

You are just arguing semantics. The video was clearly a cry for help. The main threat that Phil talked about was the possibility of losing his home. 

No, you need to be more clear with what you're saying or it looks like you're trying to confuse things. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't pay to play any mobile games, I'm strictly a "Free player" for quite some time now, due to my financial situation. They're great relaxation games and time wasters when I finally get some free time at night. I'm considering dumping Amazon Video but that would mean dumping Prime as well, and paying for shipping on everything while waiting a ton of time for it. Usually stuff I get for the job, I need ASAP. WWE Network I need to see the PPV events and I JUST got Netflix, and it's awesome. if anything, I'm strongly considering cutting the cord on cable TV, as the ONLY thing I'm watching on it is live wrestling, which I can just watch later if I were to get Hulu....hmm.

Okay I take back what I said on the phone games, but judging by your comment Amazon Video is most justifiable expense out of the 3 stream services as it let's you use Amazon Prime and it can be your boredom buster when you aren't playing video games, but you can watch WWE PPV events/shows on Dailymotion and Netflix as good as it maybe is it really necessary when you are in the financial situation you are in, are you on the most basic cable tv atm.

2 hours ago, ragoslice said:

You are just arguing semantics. The video was clearly a cry for help. The main threat that Phil talked about was the possibility of losing his home. 

I disagree with that. In the video he mentioned that getting a job won't help and that he's not asking for any more support. This leads me to believe that this isn't an income issue. If he loses his house he may need support for a smooth transition but I'm skeptical that what ever this is can be prevented with more money.

• Like 1

A cancelled stream might be for the best. Maybe Phil should take Thursday and Friday off if he can. As someone who is also in a pretty high stress time (not as much as Phil), it definitely takes a toll on you. And I know when my stress is getting too high because my depression gets very heavy on me and gives me awful thoughts. A day or two away from streaming could give him a little time to recoup or make a strategy on how he wants to move forward with whatever issue is weighing on him.

No idea what the situation is, Phil, but stay strong and hang in there. You've cleared a lot of hurdles in your way and I'm hoping you make it through this one as well. Mental exhaustion is really terrible and even something that is generally enjoyable like playing a game may not help you feel better if there is too much on your mind. Hang in there.

EDIT:

I know cost cutting measures alone probably won't solve the issue you are going through now but maybe it can help alleviate some of the stress you are going through. Saw in the tweets you are thinking about changing services and dropping cable from your Comcast package. I don't know much about WWE but maybe there is a standalone service you can use that will let you watch it without subscribing to something like Hulu? That seems like it would be cheaper by nature.  Amazon video seems like the one you want to keep for sure since it is connected to Amazon prime. Maybe Comcast has another cheaper package you can go for if you are off contract at the moment (at least in regards to what you have not regarding the business line). Is FiOS an option at all? I have no caps with them and the service has been pretty solid for me and I was able to switch to a cheaper package recently.

Something I've personally been doing is using more inexpensive foods and prepping them for multiple nights at a time during on day in the week. Personally, on Sunday I might make a big pot of rice and keep it in the fridge, make a lot of chicken and keep it in the freezer so I can defrost and heat it up later and make use of some frozen veggies that I can microwave. Admittedly its not too excellent and the lack of meal variety is not pleasing but it does help me save a  bit and takes less time to get meals ready during the week when I am busier.

I'm not sure if you are still getting games digitally or not but if so, making use of trade ins could help alleviate the cost since digital still charges you full price and you just retain the ownership but you can't trade them in. Maybe as part of the errands portion of your week you can trade in some of the games you have beaten.

I also recently wound up selling some of my furniture and either replacing it with something a little smaller and cheaper or not replacing it all. Just downsizing my life.

If feasible (and not done already), maybe you can re-do that screen in the pre-stream to also include the link to the donation page that you have?

Edited by Another_Derich
9 hours ago, Phil said:

The line in the office is dedicated to streaming and uploading. The other line, which is way cheaper, is for wireless internet use such as my phone/mobile games, and streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Video/WWE Network AND serves as a backup, in the case that something went horribly wrong and my office line died, I wouldn't be completely without internet.

I CANNOT get a non-business line because they ALL have awful data caps. People who don't even upload videos/live stream started hitting the data caps and getting crazy overages in the last year. The only lines available without data caps are the business lines. So that's what I've got to go with.

I'm honestly terrified of having to move back to Connecticut, because I'm almost sure they've probably instituted data caps there, and I was already told they wouldn't put a business plan on the internet in the condo due to the basement internet lines being a complete mess. It would be a MASSIVE downgrade to my work and I don't even know if I'd be able to do it.

The data cap thing really does suck. I also had to get Comcast Business because of the cap BS. If you have to move back you can always check again to see if Business is now available or if you can just pay an additional fee to raise/remove the cap.  There's also a slim chance another provider is available in that area now but... yeah, it's very unlikely.

Barring that, you could stream normally and export those videos from Twitch to YouTube which would drastically lower your bandwidth usage. Yes, the quality is going to be slightly lower but frankly the VAST majority of viewers won't be able to tell the difference.  Even still you may need to lower your bitrate some. I'd check to see how much bandwidth you use now (should be available in your Comcast Business Portal). FWIW I do believe the residential cap has increased since you lived in CT, I could be wrong though.

Financially speaking, Prime is somewhat justifiable though your big purchases (day 1 releases) can easily be done by running to the store. Arguably you could spend a decent amount on gas driving to the store every morning/midnight for a big release but it's a stretch. No, you do not need to wait "A ton of time" for standard Amazon shipping; it's like 4-5 days. Outside of Day 1 games I find it hard to believe there is much you NEED to have that quickly.

Netflix/WWE on the other hand? No. If you're as hard up financially as you say you are, spending ~$108/year for Netflix and ~$120 for WWE are unjustifiable. Why on Earth do you NEED to see PPV events?? There's plenty of things you can do online to unwind that's free; Hulu, YouTube, Twitch, free to play games, etc.

You're still paying for cable TV?? Cut that shit with a quickness.  I cut my cord 10 years ago and will never go back.

I really don't see the justification for the 2nd line. If you're business line went down, you have your phone. You can tether at least your laptop to it to get online to contact Comcast support/social media/family/etc. You say it's cheap but, unless you got some insane deal, I can't imagine it's less than $20/month. That's $240+ or more you're paying for a line that you do not need.

So lose Netflix, WWE, and the 2nd line and that's almost $500. Remove Prime and Cable TV for even more savings. I'm aware that this won't help much/any with whatever current emergency situation you have going on but you have GOT to get your finances under control. I've been in incredibly tight financial binds before and honestly it drives me bonkers to see you say how hard up you are while frivolously spending money. I'm not even a financial expert but I feel like I could help you get a lot of this under control. It's a 100% serious offer BTW, so if you'd like to chat DM me about it. You don't know me from Adam & I understand you're hesitant due to trolls, leaks, etc., but I'd even be able to help with non-specifics in private.

Edited by VertigoTeaparty
2 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

I disagree with that. In the video he mentioned that getting a job won't help and that he's not asking for any more support. This leads me to believe that this isn't an income issue. If he loses his house he may need support for a smooth transition but I'm skeptical that what ever this is can be prevented with more money.

How is not getting a job along with streaming not going to help???  If your going say because he doesn't have enough time, I going to say bull shit.  I and other ppl have gone to school full time and had part/full time jobs and were able to survive.  We were able to also have a social life.  Anyway for Phil to supplement his income the better.

Edited by moka'roka
42 minutes ago, moka'roka said:

How is not getting a job along with streaming not going to help???  If your going say because he doesn't have enough time, I going to say bull shit.  I and other ppl have gone to school full time and had part/full time jobs and were able to survive.  We were able to also have a social life.  Anyway for Phil to supplement his income the better.

Clearly you didn't read my full post. Based on what Phil said money isn't the issue. For example,

On 9/19/2017 at 8:47 PM, Another_Derich said:

Something like the property manager deciding to get rid of all the houses and develop something new in the area?

If this is the case then getting a job or asking for more donations wouldn't fix this.

Besides if he did get a job then he'd likely make less then what he makes on YouTube + Twitch so there would be no point.

To give you some perspective Phil made $3000 on Twitch through bits and subs. This is excluding money from tips, unshared subs, and YouTube revenue. In order to make that kind of money with a job he'd need to work 50 hours a week and that's only a fraction of what he earns now. If he got a job he would have to stream less and make less overall income.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

Clearly you didn't read my full post. Based on what Phil said money isn't the issue. For example,

If this is the case then getting a job or asking for more donations wouldn't fix this.

Besides if he did get a job then he'd likely make less then what he makes on YouTube + Twitch so there would be no point.

To give you some perspective Phil made $3000 on Twitch through bits and subs. This is excluding money from tips, unshared subs, and YouTube revenue. In order to make that kind of money with a job he'd need to work 50 hours a week and that's only a fraction of what he earns now. If he got a job he would have to stream less and make less overall income.

Yes, he would make less.  But, the one thing the you don't realize is that it would be a stable income.  His income from YT, Twitch, and Pateron fluctuates and he not sure that he going to have enough money to pay his bills.  Having a stable income cause probably decrease the stress from not being sure to pay his bills.  This in the long wrong could be better on his overall health.  

I'm also aware that he did not ask for financial help in the video.  

Edited by moka'roka
4 minutes ago, moka'roka said:

Yes, he would make less.  But, the one thing the you don't realize is that it would be a stable income.  His income from YT, Twitch, and Pateron fluctuates and he not sure that he going to have enough money to pay his bills.  Having a stable income cause probably decrease the stress from not being sure to pay his bills.  This in the long wrong could be better on his overall health.  

I'm also aware that he did not ask for financial help in the video.  

If he made less he wouldn't be paying his bills at all. Unless he gets a great salary or his YouTube Twitch revenue tanks, getting a job won't be doing him any favors.

1 minute ago, Nich2440 said:

If he made less he wouldn't be paying his bills at all. Unless he gets a great salary or his YouTube Twitch revenue tanks, getting a job won't be doing him any favors.

To be fair this isn't an "Either or" situation. He can do both. Lots of people work full time jobs and still do a lot of YouTube/Twitch, myself included.  Until recently I worked 40 hours/week and still put in 30-40+ hours into my YouTube/Twitch channels.  Getting a job doesn't mean the YouTube/Twitch business dies.

12 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

The income from a second job would at least be stable.

4 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

To be fair this isn't an "Either or" situation. He can do both. Lots of people work full time jobs and still do a lot of YouTube/Twitch, myself included.  Until recently I worked 40 hours/week and still put in 30-40+ hours into my YouTube/Twitch channels.  Getting a job doesn't mean the YouTube/Twitch business dies.

And this is what I was trying to convey.  

Edited by moka'roka
10 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

I used to work 60/70 hrs a week and while it can be done, done long enough it can seriously mess with your own wellbeing.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, moka'roka said:

The income from a second job would at least be stable.

And this is what I was trying to convey.  

I understand. But what I'm trying to say is that doesn't matter if you can't afford it.

8 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Right. But if you have a job that pays $20 an hour and you can make your own shifts why would you take a second job of $15 an hour when you can always make $20? So instead of doing 8 hours a day for a part time job and 2 hours for Twitch you can do 10 hours for Twitch and make more money.

The only reason I can see someone splitting the work is to avoid burnout but Phil doesn't seem to be affected by this. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, WOOF! said:

I used to work 60/70 hrs a week and while it can be done, done long enough it can seriously mess with your own wellbeing.

I agree that it's not something most people can or should do for a very long time (4-5+ years). However, if you wanna live The Dream(c) or hit on rough times you gotta do what you gotta do. 

6 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

Right. But if you have a job that pays $20 an hour and you can make your own shifts why would you take a second job of $15 an hour when you can always make $20? So instead of doing 8 hours a day for a part time job and 2 hours for Twitch you can do 10 hours for Twitch and make more money.

Fair enough. However I will say it's not a reliable $X/hour he's making on Twitch, and some timeframes (evening) are probably better than others.  So, if he, on average, made $5/hour during afternoon stream but $35/hour in the evening, he could get a day job and still make almost as much from Twitch at night. There's a lot factors at play here though so no point in hypothesizing on it without a lot more info.

I do get what you're saying though and mostly agree. I will say that if he, on average, is making about $3,500 - $4,000 per month pre-tax but still can't keep up on his bills then he desperately needs help managing his finances.

19 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Fair enough. However I will say it's not a reliable $X/hour he's making on Twitch, and some timeframes (evening) are probably better than others.  So, if he, on average, made $5/hour during afternoon stream but $35/hour in the evening, he could get a day job and still make almost as much from Twitch at night. There's a lot factors at play here though so no point in hypothesizing on it without a lot more info.

I do get what you're saying though and mostly agree. I will say that if he, on average, is making about $3,500 - $4,000 per month pre-tax but still can't keep up on his bills then he desperately needs help managing his finances.

Oh I know he doesn't make a fixed rate on Twitch since it's based on donations. But it also makes sense to assume that the more you stream the more you make. Replacing time streaming, even if it's just part time, with a job would be a loss in revenue. I don't think being "stable" would make it any better.

It's just interest rates going up.  I know this poses a big problem out of peoples control. Many of the people i know about that are lending close to their capacity can manage when the interest rate is at a certain point. But just a small rise in interest will screw them over completely. Because they would no longer be able to manage their debts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, BrightSideViking said:

It's just interest rates going up.  I know this poses a big problem out of peoples control. Many of the people i know about that are lending close to their capacity can manage when the interest rate is at a certain point. But just a small rise in interest will screw them over completely. Because they would no longer be able to manage their debts. 

You're right. It is plausible that this is related to rising rates as well. Higher interest rates, higher rents/mortgages will really mess people up and it is out of control of the consumer.

Yes, it's the only thing that fits the bill. If no false information is given. Phil and anyone running a business knows taxes comes first. Phil with his business degree knows there is NO WAY you can not pay that. And I belive him when he says he have a "tax lawyer" help him with it. Because it is the most important thing getting that right owning a business.  That is also a predictable variable. 
What most people don't have Is a fixed interest rate. Because under normal circumstances you would have to make a deal with your bank to have one. And it would be slightly higher then the Floating interest rate. 
You would have to pay more in the short term, but you would have a predictable rate and it may be an investment worth while if the interest go up. 
The thing is, people that are already at their capacity can't even afford binding their interest rate. And have to gamble that it stays low to be able to continue to manage their debts. 
Giving Phillips own admission not having ANY money left over at the end of the month. A rise in interest is what have happened. 
I can understand why he doesn't like talking about it either. Because it is a really devastating blow. 
It's either default and have his bank foreclose on his properties, because he can no longer pay the minimum amount required to manage the debt. 
And if his Equity is negative It's game over financially. (if his loans are higher then what his property is worth) 
This is the case with the condo he owns in Connecticut. 
But his loan on the property in Washington is probably a different story. 
So he maybe is in a posisjon where he have to sell his Washington house. And move back to his condo. Or lose everything. Including his credit score. 
Which will leave him unable to own any property. Because he would be able to get no loan. 
I don't know i this is true or not. But Phil wanted the speculation. So here you go. This is my theory. 

9 minutes ago, BrightSideViking said:

Yes, it's the only thing that fits the bill. If no false information is given. Phil and anyone running a business knows taxes comes first. Phil with his business degree knows there is NO WAY you can not pay that. And I belive him when he says he have a "tax lawyer" help him with it. Because it is the most important thing getting that right owning a business.  That is also a predictable variable. 
What most people don't have Is a fixed interest rate. Because under normal circumstances you would have to make a deal with your bank to have one. And it would be slightly higher then the Floating interest rate. 
You would have to pay more in the short term, but you would have a predictable rate and it may be an investment worth while if the interest go up. 
The thing is, people that are already at their capacity can't even afford binding their interest rate. And have to gamble that it stays low to be able to continue to manage their debts. 
Giving Phillips own admission not having ANY money left over at the end of the month. A rise in interest is what have happened. 
I can understand why he doesn't like talking about it either. Because it is a really devastating blow. 
It's either default and have his bank foreclose on his properties, because he can no longer pay the minimum amount required to manage the debt. 
And if his Equity is negative It's game over financially. (if his loans are higher then what his property is worth) 
This is the case with the condo he owns in Connecticut. 
But his loan on the property in Washington is probably a different story. 
So he maybe is in a posisjon where he have to sell his Washington house. And move back to his condo. Or lose everything. Including his credit score. 
Which will leave him unable to own any property. Because he would be able to get no loan. 
I don't know i this is true or not. But Phil wanted the speculation. So here you go. This is my theory. 

Funny how easy it is to find a coherent theory when people stop assuming the man commited fraud or tax evasion.

Interest rates going up isn't very likely. Phil says in the video, that he probably shouldn't talk about this. "I could tell you, but it's probably not going to make sense to you." 

What part of interest rates going up won't make sense, or is not good to disclose?

Edited by YEE