The King of Hate Forums
Kyoko_Kirigiri

Animes that could work as a Live Action TV Series in the U.S?

Crazy idea I know but what do you guys think could work as a live action TV series in the west?

Honestly I think Steins Gate would be a great live action series since the main aspect of the show can actually appeal to a wide range audience and despite some changes that have to be made it would still work.

• Upvote 1

Tower of druaga. Cowboy Bebop. 

i could name a lot but no, they couldnt "work"

not for anime fans anyway. sure, some people would watch them but not anime fans, its almost degrading to make an american styled action tv series for an anime.

some live action movies are tolerable, some are good (i like that spaceship yamato thing a few years back it was great)

but going "Arrow"? "gotham"?

no, just no. i dont want to ever see that with cowboy bebop. or any anime for that matter.

imagine "bleach" with a "charmed" feel. nausiating.

This was a hard question to answer but I think the Monogatari series would be easy to transfer over to live action as a huge chunk of it is just talking and character development plus the parts when things do get hectic would also transfer nicely into live action 

Steins;Gate is a great choice and easy to pull off with the right cast.

Even though Death Note already has a live action film, I could easily see it working as a live action series, the show already reminds me of breaking bad in certain ways.

Cowboy Bebop, although a lot of people already compare it a lot to Firefly.

Danganrompa could make a pretty good series, the only complication I can see are the execution scenes which are freaking ridiculous.

Fullmetal Alchemist could be good, but there would need be to be a damn good budget to even achieve some of the special effects.

On 1/21/2015 at 6:39 PM, BrickArts295 said:

Even though Death Note already has a live action film, I could easily see it working as a live action series, the show already reminds me of breaking bad in certain ways.

Nah, it really couldn't Look at the drama series Death Note. The CGI is basically the same as the movie, and it's super cringe. 

Btw; Chaos;head > steins;gate

On 8/29/2015 at 2:02 AM, Slayer_____ said:

Did anyone see the attack on titan live action movie?

Yeah, pt1 was pretty garbage, honestly. 

Monster and Psycho-Pass are the two anime that immediately come to mind, in terms of anime that won't feel completely awkward after being westernized (I know PP takes place in Japan and the cast is Japanese, but the important part is preserving the futuristic, dystopian world). I think they could translate easily to a serial drama format (there were rumors that Guillermo del Toro was trying to adapt Monster for HBO, but it didn't pan out).

I'm iffy about Trigun, as I imagine it being filled with crappy CGI effects. Space Brothers... maybe. Legend of the Galactic Heroes... maybe. Welcome to the NHK is a mix of real psychological issues and goofy humor, so I'm not sure how that would pan out. I suspect that it would be better received by Western audiences if it was a serious drama film that tried to delve into the psyche of a shut-in, instead of being a drawn-out series. 

Maybe Ghost in the Shell would work, but I've only seen the Arise films, not the classics yet. I'm not sure if it's too futuristic for a serial drama's budget to sustain believably. It could work as a series of live action films. 

Edited by KingBunghole

On 1/20/2015 at 5:39 PM, BrickArts295 said:

Steins;Gate is a great choice and easy to pull off with the right cast.

Cowboy Bebop, although a lot of people already compare it a lot to Firefly.

Danganrompa could make a pretty good series, the only complication I can see are the execution scenes which are freaking ridiculous.

Fullmetal Alchemist could be good, but there would need be to be a damn good budget to even achieve some of the special effects.

well we are getting another Death Note film with the dude who made You're Next and The Guest and with the dude from Paper Towns 

51 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

well we are getting another Death Note film with the dude who made You're Next and The Guest and with the dude from Paper Towns 

Is this really confirmed? Could I get a source?

I haven't seen those films, but for some reason, I already feel that this is a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, KingBunghole said:

Is this really confirmed? Could I get a source?

I haven't seen those films, but for some reason, I already feel that this is a bad idea.

Well You're Next looked awful, but turned out really fun and The Guest is such a underrated amazing Film its on Netflix its in My Top 10 "Films of 2014" and here directed some of the short from V/H/S 1 and 2

and here you go 

http://collider.com/death-note-movie-nat-wolff-adam-wingard/

http://collider.com/death-note-movie-rating-tone/

TBH i feel like they will treat this with respect unlike 2017 Ghost in the Shell with a crappy director who made Snow White and the Huntsman 

Edited by sateler96

1 hour ago, KingBunghole said:

That doesn't sound very exciting, there would probably be a lot of crappy CGI with the Stand powers.

Yeah its better to just use animes that could actually be possible in live action form. I'd honestly say that Black Lagoon or Steins gate could possibly be the best anime to work in live action not to mention they could appeal to an american audience compared to other animes.

i know this isn't tv but Japan is doing a Live Action fullmetal alchemist movie 

showing that they did Attack on Titan the movie i have no faith lol until i see footage 

Edited by sateler96