Jump to content
The King of Hate Forums

The definitive reason why Discord and vidme are beneficial


Recommended Posts

I posted a thread explaining the pros of discord a month ago but I'll restate it.

 

You can make an exclusive forum on your discord server that only Patreons can see and use. Patreon has an app that lets you automatically give Patreons their special permissions on your discord. In other words you don't have to wait until a week after the month to get everyone upgraded on the forums. Discord will do it for you.

This can also lead to new rewards in the future like Patreon party chat for multipleyer events or co-op commentary because of it's voice chat features. Also also from what I hear it protects you from DDOS attacks.

 

As for Vidme the site is very similar to YouTube but without their broken copyright, and monitization policies. It's also a more positive environment. The staff at Vidme listen to feedback and I find it's easier to get discovered because of less competition.

It might not make sense for DSPGaming but it defiantly makes sense for the vlogging channel since everything there is getting demonetized. I'd say it's worth a try.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Phil gets to the point where he'll stop asking us to prove certain moves and platforms are worth while to divulge into. We told him to switch to direct capture, 3 years late, we we're right. We told him to go back to Twitch, 2 years late, we we're right and he is now making more than he is on Youtube. Enough with asking fans for valid reasons, just try it, if it doesn't work, drop it. The fans have been asking for a Discord server, instead of alienating the fans out of fear of trolls, give the fans what they are asking for.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StretchedForeskin said:

I hope Phil gets to the point where he'll stop asking us to prove certain moves and platforms are worth while to divulge into. We told him to switch to direct capture, 3 years late, we we're right. We told him to go back to Twitch, 2 years late, we we're right and he is now making more than he is on Youtube. Enough with asking fans for valid reasons, just try it, if it doesn't work, drop it. The fans have been asking for a Discord server, instead of alienating the fans out of fear of trolls, give the fans what they are asking for.

I do understand the fear of having to moderate a whole server.

But seriously, its a bloody trend that ideas are given, and excuses are made not to do it. Then BOOM does it and its the best thing ever.

TRY IT PHIL

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, been saying this for over a year now having a Discord for Patreons is a good idea, especially when you are running of ideas like DSP is. When multiplayer events come, boom he has a place he can make i.e. VIP section for the Patreons and talk with no issues.

 

The real reason why I think DSP is afraid of it, is because it might be a breeding ground for detractors I can imagine they will sit in there all day and come up with plans or force his fans off the Discord.

 

Still it's a great idea, his Patreon is so dry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

I posted a thread explaining the pros of discord a month ago but I'll restate it.

 

You can make an exclusive forum on your discord server that only Patreons can see and use. Patreon has an app that lets you automatically give Patreons their special permissions on your discord. In other words you don't have to wait until a week after the month to get everyone upgraded on the forums. Discord will do it for you.

This can also lead to new rewards in the future like Patreon party chat for multipleyer events or co-op commentary because of it's voice chat features. Also also from what I hear it protects you from DDOS attacks.

 

As for Vidme the site is very similar to YouTube but without their broken copyright, and monitization policies. It's also a more positive environment. The staff at Vidme listen to feedback and I find it's easier to get discovered because of less competition.

It might not make sense for DSPGaming but it defiantly makes sense for the vlogging channel since everything there is getting demonetized. I'd say it's worth a try.

both sounds like a good idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, StretchedForeskin said:

I hope Phil gets to the point where he'll stop asking us to prove certain moves and platforms are worth while to divulge into. We told him to switch to direct capture, 3 years late, we we're right. We told him to go back to Twitch, 2 years late, we we're right and he is now making more than he is on Youtube. Enough with asking fans for valid reasons, just try it, if it doesn't work, drop it. The fans have been asking for a Discord server, instead of alienating the fans out of fear of trolls, give the fans what they are asking for.

I'm more annoyed when he asks for reasons something is worth it, we tell him, and then eh acts like we didn't the next time someone brings it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

No. I'm thinking if I'm DSP... why would I be angry about suggestions. I'm sure people suggest a hundred things a day to him. I'm sure if I was him maybe I would get tired of too many of these. Just a thought.

The thing is he asked for someone to give a reason why he should use discord. I did. Then a month later he says no one gave him any reasons.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amityville said:

Hmmmm...

45 minutes ago, Amityville said:

No. I'm thinking if I'm DSP... why would I be angry about suggestions. I'm sure people suggest a hundred things a day to him. I'm sure if I was him maybe I would get tired of too many of these. Just a thought.

18 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Maybe he disagreed with them. Maybe Discord has improved a lot since then though.

Wow....

11 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

If he disagreed with it I would have preferred if he said so.

Well whatever. I'm not actually mad.

The thing is, I don't think he ever does his own research for himself on these types of things. Instead he strictly relies on people from Twitter and Stream Chat to come up with the information and ideas to utilize new programs and tools for him. Reason why it takes him so long, is because he doesn't really trust anyone on Twitter or in the stream chat... but if that's the case, he might as well just do some research and run the program for himself to see how it works.   It makes your head reel when you think about his thought process some times, and it all derives from one thing, but i'll keep that thought to myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a point is having a discord though. we already have places to talk. we already have a special place for patrons to talk, it's just dead and my attempts to revive it failed. I imagine discord will have a similar fate. The only benefit I see would be multiplayer stuff, but even then most multiplayer games have built in voice chat.

He needs to do something he isn't already doing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Veera said:

I don't see a point is having a discord though. we already have places to talk. we already have a special place for patrons to talk, it's just dead and my attempts to revive it failed. I imagine discord will have a similar fate. The only benefit I see would be multiplayer stuff, but even then most multiplayer games have built in voice chat.

He needs to do something he isn't already doing.

He expressed in the past that he doesn't like how he has to manually add Patreons to the forum. With discord set up with Patreon it's instant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

He expressed in the past that he doesn't like how he has to manually add Patreons to the forum. With discord set up with Patreon it's instant.

To put a layer on top of that, many people already have discords for other purposes. These forums take longer to set up MP events, take longer to add patron permissions to and has an extremely low barrier to entry if there are people who want to be malicious. And its easier and faster for people to talk through a messaging system that would have the core of his base rather than posting in the forums for every single thing. The pro seems to outweigh the con here. Especially since you don't have to have one or the other. Run the discord on top of already having the forums. If the discord fizzles out then you still have the forums.

 

Its a good suggestion Nich2440 but the ideas were presented before and he didn't go for it. If he is going to make some change to try and improve/enhance things, he'll have to decide so for himself.

 

13 hours ago, StretchedForeskin said:

I hope Phil gets to the point where he'll stop asking us to prove certain moves and platforms are worth while to divulge into. We told him to switch to direct capture, 3 years late, we we're right. We told him to go back to Twitch, 2 years late, we we're right and he is now making more than he is on Youtube. Enough with asking fans for valid reasons, just try it, if it doesn't work, drop it. The fans have been asking for a Discord server, instead of alienating the fans out of fear of trolls, give the fans what they are asking for.

Good post and the bolded text is especially important to keep in mind.

Edited by Another_Derich
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StretchedForeskin said:

 

The thing is, I don't think he ever does his own research for himself on these types of things. Instead he strictly relies on people from Twitter and Stream Chat to come up with the information

TIHYDP LMAO

HMmm, putting a tiny bit more thought into it, why not literally make it Patreon-only? My only thing is, would you literally pay to just be in a Messenger Group? Then of course whats to stop trolls even with a paywall? The more I think on it the more issues I can see. Plus you dont want to overtax and buren your mods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Veera said:

I don't see a point is having a discord though. we already have places to talk. we already have a special place for patrons to talk, it's just dead and my attempts to revive it failed. I imagine discord will have a similar fate. The only benefit I see would be multiplayer stuff, but even then most multiplayer games have built in voice chat.

The point of Discord is to foster community. When you enhance your community it builds a stronger bond between you the content creator and your viewers. I'd argue that this helps with audience retention as well as the chances that your community will spread the word about your channel. Yes there is a forum but a forum pales in comparison to live chat when it comes to interaction and creating that sense of a cohesive group.

I disagree with making it Patreon only. IMO if you do that you project the idea that only people who give money through Patreon are worth speaking with. You also exclude people who like to do bits/donation but not Patreon. Special titles or a Patreon only room would be fine I'd think. I used the word "Patreon" in every sentence in this paragraph.

The #1 issue will be trolls. All the big channels who have a Discord deal with this I'm sure but it'll be worse for DSP, especially for the 1st week or 2. He would need enough mods to have 24 hour coverage or else it may turn into a train wreck while they are away. I believe that'll be a tough problem to solve so if y'all want him to do an official Discord you may want to investigate potential solutions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, onorub said:

I'd tell you people to give it a rest, but there will probably be a thread a week from now about how "Phil doesn't care about the discord".

Agree... too many threads about the same thing when we could just have one. Maybe the mods could do us a favour and condense them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Made an account just to say something on this topic. I am an older guy who watches phil's uploads on YT. I have obligations so I can't catch him live, and have been watching him for some time. It seems a lot of drama has leveled out, and a discord is a good idea. It's better to create a tight knit community or else it starts to get pecking orders, and in this case that would be stuff like cheer leaders and patrons, supposed detractors (userbase cannibalizing itself), etc.

Pull together, not push apart. If Phil's not interested, he won't be there. That's the long and short of it. I watch almost every upload, and have been considering supporting him on patreon, but a discord would let me connect with other fans outside of a chat during a time I can't be, because of adult obligations, and outside of YT comments, which are of course one of the dumbest places on the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...