The King of Hate Forums

Why Patreon has been low

For the past few months Patreon has seen a significant decrease in pledges. Certain months a few people pledge big at the end to hit the goal but then it goes right back down after which doesn't help.

There's one main logical reason why this is happening IMO. It's because the Patreon is more tied to YouTube while Phil is focusing on Twitch. Think about it. Because of YouTube ads going to shit Phil was forced to abandon KOGaming and now there's a threat that the vlogging channel could suffer the same fate. He also completely stopped doing reviews even in vlog format or similar videos. Now I'm not trying to talk shit but you can understand that a Patreon might wonder why they're still pledging when you're making less content (Variety wise) then before.

People may prefer to sub on Twitch. The subscription model is a great way to go to diversify your income but I feel having two avenues for that may cut into each other.

There's also the fact that all of Phil's rewards (Aside from the monthly goal/nomination) are YouTube based. Specifically the vlogging channel witch is now fan service. Shoutouts on WIP and podcasts, questions on Ask the King. They're good rewards but not for your Twitch Audience.

Now there's some ways to fix this problem.

The first would be to give Patreons shoutouts on stream. I believe Muxy has a Patreon plugin which gives notifications when people pledge. You said before that you were worried that you would get a pop up every time someone updated their pledge and would be spammy. But the plugin probably has settings to prevent that for example only show when new people pledge (I don't actually know this). It's worth come experimenting at least. The $10

Patreons from the previous month can have their names read at the start of the stream (Part 1 of the playthrough). You can also upgrade the perk so the Patreons can add a message to their shoutout (Kind of like a cheer).

You can also put your Twitch tip link on the main Patreon page and advertise it as a one time donation that will get you a shoutout on stream. Easy. while on this topic why do tips not add to the monthly goal? Both a donations that you get immediately right?

The next idea is to move the vlogging content to Twitch. Twitch has an upload feature now. Again easy change. While we are talking about this it may be beneficial to do IRL streams more often.

You can put of an extension that shows the accurate Patreon funding which you can update as people pledge. Maybe even a goal progress bar on the stream under your facecam.

Discord. I'm just going to leave this information here and move on. https://learn.patreon.com/grow/category-integrations/integrating-with-discord/ and https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/212112068-Twitch-Integration-FAQ

I'm assuming putting more focus on vlogging again is the last thing on your mind. so any of the above changes will help the current situation.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Phil, I suppose someone expect more from you. All you do now adays is stream games. And i suppose you get the vast ammount of support for that particular thing over Twitch.  You used to do V-lo

First off, it's great that you don't understand how making a living works. If I'm struggling to barely pay my bills, chances are that taking away from doing things that can keep the bills paid aren't

Got no time for muppets who post filth on the forum.

Posted Images

IDEA: A Patreon-only fighting games tournament with phil as the narrator. If the goal gets hit, phil organizes a small fighting games tournament for the patreons (it could be the 5 dollars tier) and he narrates the games for us. The prize for the winner could be a steam game or something, it sounds like an incredibly fun event to me.

32 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

I think the past few months have proven that goals aren't the problem.

Ummmm....really.  If the goal not the problem then why wasn’t October’s or July’ goal hit.  From what I’ve seen the goals have been pretty similar from last years.  He always has a goal for some kind of marathon or it’s pateron’s choice.  November’s goal is probably going to be a holiday marathon.  

But, one can argue that ot also the perks.

54 minutes ago, MMMMagical said:

IDEA: A Patreon-only fighting games tournament with phil as the narrator. If the goal gets hit, phil organizes a small fighting games tournament for the patreons (it could be the 5 dollars tier) and he narrates the games for us. The prize for the winner could be a steam game or something, it sounds like an incredibly fun event to me.

This could add a little variety and change things up a bit instead of the same goals we get every year.

Also, the PUG goal would have been better if he did a couple of weeks after the game came out, not when ppl are being to slowly lose interest in it.

Edited by moka'roka

I signed on just to explain this and as an ex-Patreon supporter.

The Patreon is low for 2 reasons and only 2 reasons.

1. The Milestone rewards have been repetitive and not that enticing to keep refunding.
  2. The perks are completely redundant with the focus now on Twitch

The milestones like everyone knows have been completely repetitive and need a rehaul. Its either vote out of these sets of games for Phil to play or a marathon,  and the milestone rewards just dance between those two month to month. Lets focus on why the October goal failed, it was to fund a playthrough for Player Unknown Battleground which is a hot game that everyone is playing right now on Twitch. Why would I not only fund this playthrough when I could just watch anyone else play on Twitch right now for free, but to hope and pray a lot more people fund, then wait a month or so for Phil to play it? Just logically thinking, it doesn't make sense especially if you factor in DSP's Patreon's original intent is to fund games that wouldn't necessarily get views. And that's just last month's diagnosis, there's been plenty of months I'm sure myself and others couldn't find a good reason to fund DSP's Patreon. There are plenty of creative ways to utilize Patreon, and Phil is going to have to figure out a way to not only just ask for creative milestones and then not use the ideas, but actually take what the fans say and apply them.

Now about the perks, all of them need to be revised. ALL OF THEM. They are completely redundant now that Twitch is in full effect. Lets go through them.

• $1.00 - Gets your name in a Thank You portion of the Week In Preview

First of all, nobody watches the Week In Preview to the very end just to see their names. Phil already disclosed his retention rate is very low, and believe it or not, a lot of people donate to get noticed. Not only that, why would I spend a dollar on Patreon to get my name on the tail end of a video very few people watch, when I can get my name VERBALLY shouted out by Phil himself in a stream that hundreds of people are watching and I can interact with that very moment? This perk is pointless.

• $5.00 - Gets you a private section in the forums, plus a title, and a vote if there is one in the games Phil plays.

Out of all the perks, this one is the most least redundant, but its still very redundant. First of all, the forum privileges are meaningless at this point. You get access to a portion of a forum that is dead, and gain a title on the more "populous" side of a forum that maybe 10 - 15 people frequent daily. Then you get a voting privilege that Phil is known to make an executive decision to not abide by on multiple occasions, and the series that are listed that this voting privilege applies to, most of them have been discontinued indefinitely. 

• $10.00 - Get a verbal shoutout on Ask The King

Again, why would you do that when you can get a verbal shoutout on-stream with Twitch for a tenth of the price? Don't need to explain further than that because just that makes this perk totally redundant.

• $20.00 - To guarantee Phil answer's a question in Ask The King.

For I believe $2.00 during pre-stream, a tenth of the Patreon asking price, and as long as its not a troll question, Phil will answer your question live on stream. And you don't have to wait 2 months to get an answer. Now to give the benefit of the doubt, you might get a more elongated (or rambled) answer if you go the Patreon route, but its up to the donator to decide whether their question is worth the extra amount and the waiting time. 

• $50.00 - Get a video of Phil answering your question.

I NEVER saw the point of this goal and thought it was redundant from its birth, but again, Twitch has made this even more redundant. I don't see what question would require 15 to 20 minutes of Phil to answer and thank you for. My argument is, Phil has been on YouTube for a long time, any question you might think he hasn't answered, he's probably answered on screen before. Not to totally take away from the perk, I would advise to ask the two people who are currently Patreons with this goal if its worth it, but I don't and never have saw the point of this. Especially now with Twitch involved.

So in conclusion, the perks need to be updated so they don't directly conflict with Twitch, and the milestones need to be extremely more creative. /endrant

Edited by TheBullyAfterSchool
Wording, Spelling
21 minutes ago, ilscuro said:

There's only so much money to go round, if Phil is getting money from tips, cheers and subscribers on twitch then it's no surprise his Patreon has taken a hit.

It's simple mathematics.

I'm gonna have to agree here. You can only get so much from a fanbase that is there. If they are donating heavy in one venue the other one will take a hit. I think Phil did one good thing and it was cut cable. So there are things he can do. Because depending on a up/down Patreon at times won't work.

3 hours ago, moka'roka said:

Ummmm....really.  If the goal not the problem then why wasn’t October’s or July’ goal hit.  From what I’ve seen the goals have been pretty similar from last years.  He always has a goal for some kind of marathon or it’s pateron’s choice.  November’s goal is probably going to be a holiday marathon.  

But, one can argue that ot also the perks.

This could add a little variety and change things up a bit instead of the same goals we get every year.

Also, the PUG goal would have been better if he did a couple of weeks after the game came out, not when ppl are being to slowly lose interest in it.

I disagree. I think outside forces are at work. Phil's patreon appeals to his YouTube audience and phil has been phasing out original YouTube content for months.

2 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Am I the only one who isn't bothered with a shoutout? Really, I can't see anyone paying for the fact DSP saying their name alone. 

I am a Patreon to support Phil simple. I'm not arsed with any fucking perks lol. 

My issue is the shoutout is at the end of a series that no one watches. That can easily be improved.

1 hour ago, ilscuro said:

There's only so much money to go round, if Phil is getting money from tips, cheers and subscribers on twitch then it's no surprise his Patreon has taken a hit.

It's simple mathematics.

I also agree with this. I think the problem is that he gets Patreon money right away but as to wait for subs on Twitch.

Okay, so let's be real then: people are suggesting that with the new Twitch focus, Patreon should be adjusted accordingly with the perks. Okay, I get this.

It doesn't explain the monthly goals issue. PUBG was going to be a marathon stream ON TWITCH first. And people have frequently and repeatedly pledged to see the marathons happen. So no idea what went wrong, in that regard.

As for Twitch-tied patreon perks and Pop-ups on stream for Patreon pledges: I'm looking into it. I JUST enabled a Patreon link to my Twitch and this should allow Muxy to do pop-ups for pledges, but we won't know exactly how it works unless we try it. So, I'll try it and see, but it's not immediate; says it takes some time for the activation so I have to wait it out a bit.

Once that's working, we can talk about integrating Patreon perks to TWitch stuff, since Twitch viewers will now get to see their pledges live!

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Okay, so let's be real then: people are suggesting that with the new Twitch focus, Patreon should be adjusted accordingly with the perks. Okay, I get this.

It doesn't explain the monthly goals issue. PUBG was going to be a marathon stream ON TWITCH first. And people have frequently and repeatedly pledged to see the marathons happen. So no idea what went wrong, in that regard.

As for Twitch-tied patreon perks and Pop-ups on stream for Patreon pledges: I'm looking into it. I JUST enabled a Patreon link to my Twitch and this should allow Muxy to do pop-ups for pledges, but we won't know exactly how it works unless we try it. So, I'll try it and see, but it's not immediate; says it takes some time for the activation so I have to wait it out a bit.

Once that's working, we can talk about integrating Patreon perks to TWitch stuff, since Twitch viewers will now get to see their pledges live!

Hey man, glad to see you digging in and engaging when you feel like dogshit. Hope you're better soon.

I think the big thing with PUBG is that it's just on the downslope now, the buzz came and is now going to start to wane (aside from the dedicated game fans and hardcore players) so variety gamers such as yourself or more general entertainment gamers are going to have a hard time selling it to hardcore players who are looking for something special and otherwise uninterested people who are over the hype.

This kind of thing is a finicky mistress, and sometimes you knock it out of the park and sometimes you hit a ball and it smacks the pitcher in the face. Here's a good low level patreon goal, everyone who pitches in 5 bucks or more is put into a monthly raffle who you choose at random and assign them a goofy nickname to address them as. Either one that's mildly insulting for fun, or just random entirely.

It's interactive, it gets you even more familiar with your regulars, and builds very personal bonds with relatively low effort. Your brand is your real nature and closeness to the fans. Let's bring that to the forefront. 

Discord had something to do with the Patreon being lower this month for sure, after me and others said it shouldn't go ahead. People should stick to his revenue streams like Twitch and not start rinsing the community with splinter chat/corruption. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy
3 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Discord had something to do with the Patreon being lower this month for sure, after me and others said it shouldn't go ahead. People should stick to his revenue streams like Twitch and not start rinsing the community with splinter chat/corruption. 

Wut? how is discord have anything to do with low pledges? Please explain and show how u managed to link the two together.

Discord is free, it is fanmade and it was not yet an official phil's server. No money/donations were going thru that platform. And when phil streams ppl will still chat mainly on twitch. Theres no impact on phil wutsoever except that he hates discord even more now. Kurla took the blow the most. patreon also has been low for awhile now too without a few last minute big pledges.

....what?

I don't I think even you believe that statement. The Discord server was brought up 3 days before the Patreon goal ended, funding  was $200+ dollars under the requirement before Discord was even a thought. What are you talking about? It had no effect on people pledging or not. If you want to express your displeasure of the Discord server just express it instead of including these wild and unprovable conspiracy theories. Making up stuff doesn't help anything.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Glad you are open to making changes that are well needed.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Not surprised PUBG was a dud, I thought it would be as soon as I heard you announce it as a goal, part of the appeal of the $5 perk is being able to nominate/vote for a game yourself and it takes the fun out of process when you pick the target game yourself, another reason I think this failed is that it's a game which appeals to a loud vocal minority of your fanbase and like others have said plenty of twitch channels were already playing this, it was different when you played Rock Band, as many wanted to see you sing and to laugh with/at you doing it.

I think you are reaching there TDG, the goal wasn't met 2 patreon cycles ago and there was no discord dedicated to Phil back then, the goal just wasn't appealing enough.

7 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Ummmmm....okay.  Are we trying to use this as a scapegoat when there are other factors.  I’ll say say that tips and cheer are the factors of why the pateron goals may not be hit and from my personal opinion the goals have become stale.

Edited by moka'roka

Well Phil, I suppose someone expect more from you. All you do now adays is stream games. And i suppose you get the vast ammount of support for that particular thing over Twitch. 
You used to do V-logging and edited content. But now it's almost exclusively streaming. I am sure that have something to  do with it. 
The Patreon in and of itself have been stagnant. Nothing really new in the rewards department, and the perks have progressively lost their value as things like the forum have deteriorated. 
Some people don't offer any rewards on patreon at all. But they usually are supported for the quality of what they put out to the public. 
Another thing you don't do is hangouts. Which is very popular. 
You're the captain of your own ship. If you don't have any goals. And wont set a course, you won't be going anywhere either. 

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Wut? how is discord have anything to do with low pledges? Please explain and show how u managed to link the two together.

He said its gonna effect it this month I think. No one can deny its made the community look bad because it was organised really badly. But I respect Phil and the whole thing needs to die. Lots of those who were responsible for it have thrown their toys out the pram and supposedly left, instead of left out of embarrasment. These things DO hurt the community, and there will be less pledges because apparently so many of those controlling the Discord, some of whom are Patrons, were absolutely outraged and offended when they realised Phil condemned it.

Edited by Amityville
5 minutes ago, Amityville said:

He said its gonna effect it this month I think. No one can deny its made the community look bad because it was organised really badly. But I respect Phil and the whole thing needs to die. Lots of those who were responsible for it have thrown their toys out the pram and supposedly left, instead of left out of embarrasment. These things DO hurt the community, and there will be less pledges because apparently so many of those controlling the Discord, some of whom are Patrons, were absolutely outraged and offended when they realised Phil condemned it.

Having silly kids on these forums shoot the burgeoning community point blank in the face with disrespect, doubt, and dissent before it even exists, and consistently while it struggles really helped. If good community members joined and stepped up to help then it wouldn't have been left solely to outsiders like myself and detractors. If there were known community pillars there to accept mod roles, it wouldn't have turned out like this and if there were any there then it wouldn't have literally been handed over to SOK and kiwifarms guys so they can waste time distracting themselves from their empty, miserable lives.

You and your ilk have not JUST helped the detractors directly by entertaining them, giving them a place to camp out, and then blaming it on fellow fans for wanting something nice. But you've also directly hurt fans and pushed them away. I predict that this will have an effect you were not prepared for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, onemale said:

Having silly kids on these forums shoot the burgeoning community point blank in the face with disrespect, doubt, and dissent before it even exists, and consistently while it struggles really helped. If good community members joined and stepped up to help then it wouldn't have been left solely to outsiders like myself and detractors. If there were known community pillars there to accept mod roles, it wouldn't have turned out like this and if there were any there then it wouldn't have literally been handed over to SOK and kiwifarms guys so they can waste time distracting themselves from their empty, miserable lives.

You and your ilk have not JUST helped the detractors directly by entertaining them, giving them a place to camp out, and then blaming it on fellow fans for wanting something nice. But you've also directly hurt fans and pushed them away. I predict that this will have an effect you were not prepared for.

Errr. I think you got the wrong person buddy. I didn't have any part of giving detractors a place to camp out. You'd have to ask someone like kurla and Nich about that.

You can stop attacking me for no reason now.

Edited by Amityville
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, onemale said:

Assuming there is one and not some kind of misunderstanding, this kind of post makes it better? Stuff happens normally, and really the difference between a disagreement and drama is what the people who butt their noses in do and say. This is exactly what @Nich2440 was talking about.

IDK...was it? They arn't all that different half the time.

Thanks for the reply brah

17 hours ago, BrightSideViking said:

You're the captain of your own ship. If you don't have any goals. And wont set a course, you won't be going anywhere either. 

You know it's bad when even BSV is criticizing the goal, hey Vidar as someone who has donated more money/bits to Phil than probably anyone else, how about using your monetary influence, to encourage DSP to change up the Patreon perks and the nomination process for Patreon's choice, if he's going to listen seriously to anyone its you.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, DiscreetParakeet said:

Like give me a fucking break.  A five hour "marathon" is "exhausting" after sleeping in 'til noon?  Try working a 14 hour shift at a manual labour job on your feet and on the go the entire time.  Then you can tell us how exhausted you are.

The bitter tone of your posts is why no one listens to you, as you sound like many of the other 5 post users who come across like you're only in it "for the lulz". If you want to critique, be polite, constructive and positive and the more likely the message will get across. 

Viking did it well enough without coming across as rude like yourself. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy
55 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

The bitter tone of your posts is why no one listens to you, as you sound like many of the other 5 post users who come across like you're only in it "for the lulz". If you want to critique, be polite, constructive and positive and the more likely the message will get across. 

Viking did it well enough without coming across as rude like yourself. 

Have you seen how Phil talks to people?  I mean just people and fans alike, not detractors or trolls.

Yeah.

At what point will Phil attain the level of self-awareness that will allow him to realise he's alone and in debt and trolled persistently, because he's a piece of shit?