The King of Hate Forums

Did we hit the goal already or not?

Dear DSP,

Earlier this month you determed the goal was hit and even told a fan on TWITTER that wanted to donate Christmas games he should have no fear of the Christmas Special not happening. In the past few days though you've been saying that we havent hit the goal?

What gives?

The Patreon page is already confusing enough because apparently the front page dollar amount is correct some months when its well below the amount, others it is correct when the goal is reached. Fans pledges are being denied in the middle of the month when I thought a while ago you changed an option where everyone gets charged up front... just a whole bunch of confusion!

Annnnnd I hear talks that you want to make this even more confusing by adding Twitch sub counts into mix on whether you do the goal or not even if the Patreon amount is reached!!! Very confusing!!

I think for Decembers Special you should do it whether Patreon is reached or not. The fans have came out in droves the last few days to support the cause and doing the special without thinking about the money would be a HUGE THANK YOU to the fans!! I know you need money right now but it isnt like the special is going to set you back alot of money! Its like $25 for a bottle of alcohol, right? $5 for a Santa Hat? The games are being donated so your profits are going to be HUUUGE regardless!

Hope you sort all this out soon!

Your pal,

GreasyPickle

I agree. Being amongst the group here to support him for his time of troubles, giving to him to help him stay afloat not just as a content creator I enjoy but as a person I've known for years now, I think it would be a little cold hearted for him to receive one thousand dollars out of the blue one day then a few days later turn down something that is intended as gratitude to people who support him because he was 20 dollars or something short there.

I don't think that he would do that, but he may just be keeping us up to date with patreon news as a whole. I wouldn't sweat it. Phil is too down to earth to do something like that.

It's not confusing at all. New Patreons get charged upfront. If they changed their pledge right after the amount on the page lowers but Phil still gets the money. Therefore it counts to the goal. But if a recurring Patreon changes their pledge or if their pledge gets declined when they are charged at the end of the month then that money does not go to the goal.

The Twitch subs idea was to remove monthly goals from Patreon completely and move them to Twitch because that's where people want to subscribe. Then Patreon would be used soley for the funding of games, and equipment.

Hope that helps!

22 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

The Twitch subs idea was to remove monthly goals from Patreon completely and move them to Twitch because that's where people want to subscribe. Then Patreon would be used soley for the funding of games, and equipment.

Hope that helps!

Ok now im even more confused!!!! I heard the Patreon will remain but will be used for votes or alter the game decision. Phil will be adding a minimum Twitch Sub amount to each goal to hit in order to make the reward happen! My problem is there is too much mystery in that process!! The Patreon page is confusing because according to Phil its inaccurate, but now hes going to add a Twitch subscriber requirement for each goal! A number we cant even see! If there was definitive ways to show a live active subscriber count other than Phil just telling us a number, and a ballpark estimate of the Patreon being correct (I use Socialblade for Patreon numbers, its extremely accurate! EDIT: With other Patreon pages, not sure while Phils is different and acts up!!) it would be better!

Feels like we are donating to a huge MAYBE with that process, and im sure me and other donators want to reduce uncertainty as much as possible! Not make more of it!!

Please tell me I have this all wrong!

25 minutes ago, SarynPrime said:

I think it would be a little cold hearted for him to receive one thousand dollars out of the blue one day then a few days later turn down something that is intended as gratitude to people who support him because he was 20 dollars or something short there.

Phil is too down to earth to do something like that.

Same and +1!!! Really good post!!

Edited by GreasyPickle
2 minutes ago, GreasyPickle said:

Ok now im even more confused!!!! I heard the Patreon will remain but will be used for votes or alter the game decision. Phil will be adding a minimum Twitch Sub amount to each goal to hit in order to make the reward happen! My problem is there is too much mystery in that process!! The Patreon page is confusing because according to Phil its inaccurate, but now hes going to add a Twitch subscriber requirement for each goal! A number we cant even see! If there was definitive ways to show a live active subscriber count other than Phil just telling us a number, and a ballpark estimate of the Patreon being correct (I use Socialblade for Patreon numbers, its extremely accurate!) it would be better!

Feels like we are donating to a huge MAYBE with that process, and im sure me and other donators want to reduce uncertainty as much as possible! Not make more of it!!

Please tell me I have this all wrong!

Phil hits a sub milestone and does an event. Then Patreons get to vote on the games that will be in the event.

There is nothing confusing about this if you actually have been listening.

We "soft hit" the Patreon goal for November. As long as everyone's existing recurring pledges clear on December 1, the goal will happen. But traditionally, they don't all clear, so right now it's still in jeopardy. Then, over the last week, about $20 of pledges were removed from my Patreon. That means it's even more likely that we may not hit the goal. The only way for us to concretely "hit the goal" without ANY risk, would for $1250 in new pledges to be placed in one month. Because my Patreon is set up to charge up-front for new pledges, that means I'd have $1250 in the bank and BOOM we've hit the goal. But that's not how it works, as there is a recurring component as well that we cannot be determined ahead of the scheduled processing date, which is the first of every month. SO, I've been trying to convince a small group of people to still pledge before the end of the month, to help "cover" any recurring pledges that might not possibly go through.

As for the new way that monthly event goals will work, you shouldn't even be worrying about that now. That new process won't be starting until 2018 at the earliest.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

We "soft hit" the Patreon goal for November. As long as everyone's existing recurring pledges clear on December 1, the goal will happen. But traditionally, they don't all clear, so right now it's still in jeopardy. Then, over the last week, about $20 of pledges were removed from my Patreon. That means it's even more likely that we may not hit the goal. The only way for us to concretely "hit the goal" without ANY risk, would for $1250 in new pledges to be placed in one month. Because my Patreon is set up to charge up-front for new pledges, that means I'd have $1250 in the bank and BOOM we've hit the goal. But that's not how it works, as there is a recurring component as well that we cannot be determined ahead of the scheduled processing date, which is the first of every month. SO, I've been trying to convince a small group of people to still pledge before the end of the month, to help "cover" any recurring pledges that might not possibly go through.

As for the new way that monthly event goals will work, you shouldn't even be worrying about that now. That new process won't be starting until 2018 at the earliest.

Ok im still confused with "soft hitting" goals and just hitting the goal, everyone else's Patreon works differently but it doesnt really matter if the process is going to change in a month or 2!! My biggest concern was getting the Christmas Special going! Even if the Patreon is a little short, you'll still do the special right? Like I said the fans have been highly supportive this week, whats $50 or whatever the amount short on Patreon going to prevent you from doing it? 

Just want to know because I really want to see this special ft DrunkSydePhil! 

Thanx!!!

Edited by GreasyPickle
22 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

How about I just upgrade my pledge to $20 when I get my paycheck on Thursday and call it a deal? :P

That would certainly help a bit, and someone did up their pledge to $5 for the month as well so there's a few extra bucks already. I'm just praying there isn't a mass group of people that pull out last minute for some unknown reason, but I haven't had that for a while. That would guarantee you can ask a question(s) on the holiday Ask the King as well!

2 minutes ago, GreasyPickle said:

My biggest concern was getting the Christmas Special going! Even if the Patreon is a little short, you'll still do the special right?

Let me put it this way: if I'm actually "a little short," then yes, I'll do it anyway. But if I'm tons of money short, then no, I won't. You are correct, viewers have been incredibly supportive lately. In the future, since the goal events will be based on Twitch subs/contributions instead of the baseline Patreon pledges, this shouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Phil said:

I think if you are going to do this you need to lower the goal to maybe $800 something that is easily hit.

13 hours ago, Phil said:

Let me put it this way: if I'm actually "a little short," then yes, I'll do it anyway. But if I'm tons of money short, then no, I won't. You are correct, viewers have been incredibly supportive lately. In the future, since the goal events will be based on Twitch subs/contributions instead of the baseline Patreon pledges, this shouldn't be an issue. 

Would the same levels of pledge apply to twitch e.g. £1, £5, £10 etc would that mean if I wanted to give $5, either giving that amount in tips/cheers in a month or subbing at the $4.50 level plus tip/cheering 50 cents in a month.

Edited by WOOF!
Forget this, just watched week in preview.