The King of Hate Forums
FloydMayweather

Thoughts on Metal Gear Solid Redemption Run

How is this goal not exciting? Seriously I swear some peeps just say shit like this to get a reaction. I'm with Phil on this but action needs taking on those outright insulting the goal, maybe Phil can take action starting with the OP, if he hasn't already.

Also Mario Sunshine just won by a cats whisker IIRC so is it a huge deal? I think Manhunt was winning until the last few days of the vote.

Edited by Amityville

14 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, no.

People have asked for this for years. When I did my Dark Souls redemption run a year ago, the FIRST question that popped up on day 1: would I do a MGS 2/3 redemption run because those are the games I've played the worst historically.

Sorry, I'm not falling for your dumbfuck troll bait. This small handful of accounts posts up in all of the positive threads on this site, being negative and saying ideas are awful. YOU are awful. You don't represent the majority of viewers and literally outside of Nick and WOOF, none of you are Patrons nor have you ever contributed in any way. You're just turds ready to drop on anything positive or good suggested on this site.

You've literally said in another thread you don't want to see Demon's Souls, don't want to see Bloodborne, don't want to see anything. So close your fucking eyes then and leave the rest to us.

Please find anywhere where I have insulted you, or demeaned. Because it's never happened, don't conflate criticism with *HATE* also don't lump me in with trolls just want to make my intentions clear: All I have done is give you criticism which has always been fair, and YES I do give you suggestions!  

IN MY ORIGINAL POST READS:

''It **MIGHT** be interesting if he turns off stream chat and plays it cold but will he do that?''

This same FEEDBACK was given by Nich and others, so I am confused to why this completely ignored when it comes to 'LEGITIMATE SUGGESTIONS'?

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry, but you're incredibly ignorant. How are you not seeing the multiple accounts with limited to no posts in this thread IMMEDIATELY shitting on the goal? How do you not see the ORIGINAL POSTER of this thread, who is someone who has pretty much said EVERY SINGLE Patreon goal I've ever created sucked, again shitting on the goal?

Just this week I told you, I'm not interested in Demons Souls but I like the idea of Bloodborne DLC or for Christmas you should do fan appreciation and or drunk premise w/ mic which would lead to a very entertaining viewing. 

These are my honest opinions and thoughts.

• Upvote 1

I am actually intrigued by this. I think that this idea might be something that really interests people, as it already generated so much discussion in such a small amount of time after being announced.

If I were to make a suggestion, I would ask that you played the game with no streamchat. For interactivity's sake, you could still shoutout people who tipped or cheered but just not read their messages, since they could potentially spoil things. This would bring it close to a "pseudo-blind" playthrough and possibly make it feel like you are playing the game for the first time again.

All this depends on you, Phil, to not look up stuff and being strict with yourself.

All i'm gonna say is that when Sonic 06 became a patreon playthrough, i thought it was gonna suck and i completely ate crow there, so it's better just to wait and see the final result. If it turns out to suck and draw little money, it's Phil's loss more than anything else.

I think the difference between the Souls games and the MGS series is that Phil never got "better" at the games. In the Souls series you can grind and get overpowered items to make the game a cakewalk. The MGS series has nothing like that, you need patience and planning to "be good" at MGS, especially the classic games like MGS 2/3. Let's be completely honest here, Phil sucks at stealth games. The MGS redemption run will be more of a "lets retry" or something of the sort rather than a "redemption run".

Either way, the streams are gonna be popular, because people wanna see him rage cause he doesn't understand the mechanics of MGS. I just feel indifferent about the event tbh.

8 hours ago, LokiPrime said:

I am actually intrigued by this. I think that this idea might be something that really interests people, as it already generated so much discussion in such a small amount of time after being announced.

If I were to make a suggestion, I would ask that you played the game with no streamchat. For interactivity's sake, you could still shoutout people who tipped or cheered but just not read their messages, since they could potentially spoil things. This would bring it close to a "pseudo-blind" playthrough and possibly make it feel like you are playing the game for the first time again.

All this depends on you, Phil, to not look up stuff and being strict with yourself.

That's a grey area though. I tip on stream so I can add my own commentary to the playthrough. If he didn't read the messages I probably wouldn't tip.

Honestly he should have stream chat opened but tell the mods that there's a 0 tolerance policy for backseat gaming (Unless Phil directly asks for help).

7 hours ago, IAmSpoonik said:

Well yeah it is important to the Patreons, I mean they paid over a $1000 for a playthrough they were promised on two separate occasions in the last 6 months and just found out again they won't be receiving it at the time specified

He said it would happen in early 2018 and the majority of Patreons agreed that was the best outcome. No promises have been broken.

Also we didn't pay $1000. We payed $5+. 

39 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

He said it would happen in early 2018 and the majority of Patreons agreed that was the best outcome. No promises have been broken.

Also we didn't pay $1000. We payed $5+. 

See, people who are actual patrons totally understand this, because there was an open discussion and consensus about it. And actual patrons, who WANT ME TO SUCCEED and keep my house, understand why doing Sunshine in January makes no sense. But the only people complaining are the usual human trash, making shit up and slandering me, so it's no surprise so many of them are here.

And every single one of them who makes shit up will be banned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's one thing to dislike a goal as a non Patreon. That's perfectly fine. But putting words in everyone else's mouth is stupid.

Metal Gear, like Dark Souls, is one of Phil's most Infamous series. You may not like it but how can you not get how long time fans can be excited by this?

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

That's a grey area though. I tip on stream so I can add my own commentary to the playthrough. If he didn't read the messages I probably wouldn't tip.

Honestly he should have stream chat opened but tell the mods that there's a 0 tolerance policy for backseat gaming (Unless Phil directly asks for help).

[...]

Wow, that sounded more selfish than you probably wanted to make it out to be. But I agree, absolutely no backseat gaming for this playthrough.

13 minutes ago, Luckyfall said:

I'm pretty sure this thread was just supposed to be for people to share their thoughts on the goal no matter their view on it. Or maybe I understood the purpose of it wrong. I don't even know how it ended up how it did with accusations flying left and right.

"Not special for me sadly" This is a personal opinion.

"Not sure why this is called the 'best goal ever'" This is just being negative.

Anyways I think to make the playthrough more interesting he should play on hard but not extreme.

Edited by Nich2440

Well all we can do is wait for the coming weeks to see if the goal is reached. That will determine everyone's thoughts on whether the goal is worth their money or not. If you like it pledge, you don't then don't pledge it's that simple.

Edited by uppercause

A word of advice to Phil: USE THE CODEC! It has a whole team ready to give you advice on how to play the game. You ignored it last time and that's why you struggled so much.

Also, is there any chance you will replay MGS Peace Walker, since you quit the game halfway through?

A random idea I had which could add flavor to the stream as well as gain the interest of those who are worried a re-play would be too easy or more of the same. Feel free to adopt/evolve/ignore as is you please:

Play the game with no chat, barring tips/subs/etc. Whenever you get stuck, want a hint, etc., you do what Snake would do; call HQ (chat.) You tune your radio to 8008.5 (open chat) and ask for assistance which chat gives (or trolls...) 

However, calling on chat has a price. There are a few options here, but one could be that you randomly draw from a pile of cards that have an effect you MUST follow. Some off-the-top-of-the-head suggestions:

- Must talk like Snake for 10 minutes

- Not allowed to use any rations until you die

- Every sentence you say must end with "So sayeth his High Holiness, Lord Kojima" until you silently knock out 10 guards.

- Only allowed to use fists for 10 minutes

- Must play with controller upside down for 10 minutes

- The next 20 sentences you speak must somehow relate to the Super Baby Method.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

A random idea I had which could add flavor to the stream as well as gain the interest of those who are worried a re-play would be too easy or more of the same. Feel free to adopt/evolve/ignore as is you please:

Play the game with no chat, barring tips/subs/etc. Whenever you get stuck, want a hint, etc., you do what Snake would do; call HQ (chat.) You tune your radio to 8008.5 (open chat) and ask for assistance which chat gives (or trolls...) 

However, calling on chat has a price. There are a few options here, but one could be that you randomly draw from a pile of cards that have an effect you MUST follow. Some off-the-top-of-the-head suggestions:

- Must talk like Snake for 10 minutes

- Not allowed to use any rations until you die

- Every sentence you say must end with "So sayeth his High Holiness, Lord Kojima" until you silently knock out 10 guards.

- Only allowed to use fists for 10 minutes

- Must play with controller upside down for 10 minutes

- The next 20 sentences you speak must somehow relate to the Super Baby Method.

The first half of your post is an alright suggestion. However the second half is dumb. Holding the controller upside down would only frustrate him. Keeping track of time or sentences would distract him from actually playing the game.

Regardless I still think playing with the chat open is no big deal.

well since seems like hes not gonna change now and im not a patron anyway, it would be good enough for me if hes entirely focused on the game this time as he said he would. By that i mean

- no cracking sex jokes during cutscenes and pay attention to it

-pay attention to the story

-no dissing kojima every time his name pops up to "get a rise" from his fans

-no backseat and handholding from chat (if phil and mods are srs about it it can be moderate even with chat on)

-no fooling around in the game and actually git gud

Thats all i wanna see, can be applied to other games as well tbh. And yeah sorry vertigo ur suggestions are too much of a hazzle or dumb

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

The first half of your post is an alright suggestion. However the second half is dumb. Holding the controller upside down would only frustrate him. Keeping track of time or sentences would distract him from actually playing the game.

Regardless I still think playing with the chat open is no big deal.

I see what Vertigo is going for, adding challenges and curveballs ontop of the game to keep it interesting with different ways to play the game. Some silly shit and some challenge on top of it. Need to tweak some of those ideas, but I think it would fun.

Frustration and Fails are what people love to see, why not cater to it? I mean this is about fun  right? Or is this intended to be a super serious pro run with less fail?

24 minutes ago, Cappuccino said:

well since seems like hes not gonna change now and im not a patron anyway, it would be good enough for me if hes entirely focused on the game this time as he said he would. By that i mean

- no cracking sex jokes during cutscenes and pay attention to it

-pay attention to the story

-no backseat and handholding from chat (if phil and mods are srs about it it can be moderate even with chat on)

-no fooling around in the game and actually git gud

Thats all i wanna see, can be applied to other games as well tbh. And yeah sorry vertigo ur suggestions are too much of a hazzle or dumb

Yes. This is everything the playthrough should be. I don't understand why some people think a let's play is only fun if you're acting like a goof. Just let Phil play the game and have fun that way.

3 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Many already dislike him anyway, so what difference would it really make.

29 minutes ago, WOOF! said:

Many already dislike him anyway, so what difference would it really make.

What did Kojima ever do? Sure your not mistaking him for Konami?

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What did Kojima ever do? Sure your not mistaking him for Konami?

Not saying Kojima has done wrong, don't know him personally, just pointing out most Kojima fans who are aware of DSP, probably don't like Phil anyway and I have no love for Konami thanks to them I won't get to see another console Silent Hill game, for at least many years.

If this sounds too out there as an idea I understand. Well , given that your main streams are the $$$ ones. Why not dedicate an hour whenever  to Mario Sunshine and do it like that ? Then by the time you get a lot of time you can finish it out quicker. But for now that way you can get that one at least started for those folks demanding it. 

On 12/2/2017 at 11:33 AM, Phil said:

See, people who are actual patrons totally understand this, because there was an open discussion and consensus about it. And actual patrons, who WANT ME TO SUCCEED and keep my house, understand why doing Sunshine in January makes no sense. But the only people complaining are the usual human trash, making shit up and slandering me, so it's no surprise so many of them are here.

And every single one of them who makes shit up will be banned.

Right on , Phil1 Tis sis oyur propert. And the freeloaders have no rtight to