The King of Hate Forums
Mikleo

Very important Patreon changes incoming

Unless you are donating for the $50 perk, You won't be charged much more than now, like DogGuy I already pay the extra anyway.

• Like 1

Is everyone forgetting that Patreon is a business? The taxes and price increases suck, but Patreon needs to make money and spend some to do what they do. Its like everyone who gets pissed at Paypal for taking a cut and even taxing.

Understood concerns, but its still a business like everything else. And business have their own costs.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

This will also have an effect on Patreons who do frequent paid posts.

People who do frequent paid posts shouldn't really be supported on Patreon in the first place.

58 minutes ago, WOOF! said:

Unless you are donating for the $50 perk, You won't be charged much more than now, like DogGuy I already pay the extra anyway.

The way I see it, if you can afford $50 in pledges then you can afford a couple bucks in extra fees. If you can't afford the the extra bucks then you shouldn't be pledging that much because you're essentially syphoning your bank account and risking being overdrawn.

2 hours ago, Amityville said:

Thank you for being non-biased and doing your research on this. I lost patience having to explain it to those that just want to disagree.

Someone said this was an act of greed. But if Patreon doesn't profit from it then it can't be greed which makes his point invalid. That's all I was saying.

And I did do my research. I fully understand both sides and know what the situation is and gave my perspective. There's absolutely no bias here. You're simply getting worked up because I don't agree with you.

15 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

There's absolutely no bias here. You're simply getting worked up because I don't agree with you.

Really? I mean, Phil disagrees with you as well. 

You're literally the only human thinking this could be a good idea. :blink:
Edited by Amityville

Just now, Amityville said:

Really? I mean, Phil disagrees with you as well. :cool:

So what? I made my argument and backed it up with valid points. Phil is entitled to his opinion just like you and me. Have you ever heard the phase "agree to disagree"? Because from your attitude it seems like you think it's "disagree to disagree"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Patreon doesn't need our Feedback to factor in Taxes and price increases. Comparring them to youtube doesn't make sense. Youtube is a Platform, Patreon is a Service. 

2 different things. We don't pay or support Youtube financially (unless you subscribe to RED) because its a Free platform. We pay Patreon a cut as a service because they handle and distribute funds.

44 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Also......people switched to Patreon because they are being paid/donated/Supported directly from their Fans. The fanbase pays them to fund their projects via 'crowdfunding' instead of youtube revenue from advertisements. Thats the key difference.

58 minutes ago, Amityville said:

I see you felt the need to add this to your post. But even if that were true I'd still stand by my point.

If you're going to argue then at least try to make counter arguments.

10 hours ago, Amityville said:

:laugh:

Good Tweet by Phil because Patreon shouldn't be making those changes without requesting feedback. As Vertigo pointed out, if people are giving out lots of little donations of $1 or so, this will end up costing the donating party more per transaction, and they will likely remove some pledges or just go for one content creator for a higher amount. We know that Phil has a lot of smaller donators just like everybody else, so this is very worrying to say the least. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Yes. What exactly are you implying that I'm getting wrong here?

Dude, even Phil and Vertigo have points you deliberately ignored and sped past. Don't let us have to remind you again. Maybe if you can prove them wrong with arguments instead of snarky remarks, that would help your case. 

Either way, I only donate to Phil and at least my money's still on Patreon. I can't blame those who pull out because Patreon are being dicks though. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Dude, even Phil and Vertigo have points you deliberately ignored and sped past. Don't let us have to remind you again. Maybe if you can prove them wrong with arguments instead of snarky remarks, that would help your case. 

Either way, I only donate to Phil and at least my money's still on Patreon. I can't blame those who pull out because Patreon are being dicks though. 

I didn't ignore any points. I have my own perspective on the matter but I acknowledge both sides. And I have been making arguments. I argued that if one can afford a base pledge then they likely can afford the fee since the fee is so small ($50 + is only additional dollar or two). I also argued that fees and taxes are everywhere (Why is it okay for Twitch to charge for their cut when purchasing bits but not for Patreon?) Oh, but apparently you ignored that.

Enough with this disagree to disagree bullshit.

Im on Nich2440's side here...

How the hell is it Greed if Patreon is trying to give Creators an extra 5% of what they earn? No fucking seriously, somebody answer that question. Because the only arguments being made against Nich2440 or anybody supporting or Neutral to this change is only whinning that they have to pay a ittle extra. Taxes and Transfer fees have existed for longer then you realize, and what they are doing is to help the Creators you're supporting in the first place.

I know it sucks to pay more, even if its a tiny amount. If your supporting multiple artists thats going to stack. Want the solution? Make cutbacks! You don't need to be supporting multiple people in the first place if you can't pay a fee. Pick and choose 1 - 3 people you can afford with lower pledges or 1 - 2 you can afford big pledges with. Its THAT simple.

$1 pledges might turn into $1.50, is 2 whole Quarters going to break the bank to support Phil? If the only person you care about and give your money to is Phil/DSP then give it to him on Twitch.  

All Ive been reading are emotionally charged frugals who don't want to pay a little extra. Remember the Dollar Menu? Thats pretty much dead in alot of places, why arn't we boycotting that? If the only argument is "Well Im not going to donate if I have to pay a tax and Transfer fee" Then you're more worried about your own money then the Creators you 'want' to support.

1 hour ago, ThatCatGuy said:

But that's a weak argument saying if people can afford taxes then the lesser pledges aren't going to be affected so much because fees and taxes are everywhere.

You do realize people who make smaller pledges get a smaller fee right? I mean that's how percentages work. You could argue that over time it adds up faster then doing one large pledge (But then you have to be against products being bundled at a cheaper price than buying them individually) but on a month to month bases an extra 38 cents for a dollar pledge is hardly going affect you. Unless all you have in your bank account is one dollar (And if that's the case it's not really a good idea to donate the last of your money) then this really isn't a bid deal.

58 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Wow... he still doesnt get the multiple pledge thing. :ohmy:

Yes I do. And even then they will be pledging very little. If I pledge a $1 to 50 creators that's equivalent to a $50 pledge and as I've already stated the fees for that amount are only $2. $100 is $3 in fees. $1000 is $30. How many people do you think have $1000 to donate to creators in one month?

Now please stop trying to attack my intelligence to win this argument. It's getting annoying. 

48 minutes ago, Luckyfall said:

It's not the percentage that people are worried about. It's the flat rate of 0.35cents (Paypal fee I think) that is added to each pledge. It adds up even if you pledge just a dollar to multiple people, especially if the creator charges on a per upload basis.

I believe when you pledge to multiple creators it's all considered on transaction. Could be wrong though.

11 minutes ago, ThatCatGuy said:

Oh and just to prove to @Nich2440 that nothing he's arguing back with means a damn thing.

Good lord the bigotism in this thread is ridiculous. I guess I'm not entitled to my opinion even though I insulted no one? We can't live in a world where people can have different opinions and both side can acknowledge each other's views while still standing by their own? Grow up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCatGuy said:

Oh and just to prove to @Nich2440 that nothing he's arguing back with means a damn thing. Heres what that new fee is doing to a few people on PatreonScreenshot_20171208-162528.thumb.png.9d6650f2d7bc4dde00b41b8e16db369d.pngScreenshot_20171208-162536.thumb.png.e7bdd84b6efe986dc7994a5af246203f.pngScreenshot_20171208-162543.thumb.png.f9b6ee64a74271315f3b8cbd8c96733c.png

Many people are getting fucked over by this, so your little " everyone should be able to afford this cause everybody pays taxes" certainly doesn't ring true in the real world. Many are reporting hundreds in lost revenue already..

What all this tells me is that a surprising number of people giving Youtubers money when they really shouldn't be. If an extra 30 cents makes hundreds of people pull their pledges they either couldn't really afford $1 in the first place or they pledged to far too many people at one time. Neither of which is Patreon's fault. All Patreon did was try to give creators a little more money and you want to crucify them for it. Over 30 cents. 

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

I believe when you pledge to multiple creators it's all considered on transaction. Could be wrong though.

Good lord the bigotism in this thread is ridiculous. I guess I'm not entitled to my opinion even though I insulted no one? We can't live in a world where people can have different opinions and both side can acknowledge each other's views while still standing by their own? Grow up.

The amount of passive-aggressive and insults bad here!. You can’t dismiss facts about multiple pledge then act all offended when your ass gets pulled up on it. Fucking lol!

24 minutes ago, ThatCatGuy said:

We all have opinions, some are right some are wrong,

Maybe you need to research what an opinion is.

Regardless fuck this shit. I'm done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

Maybe you need to research what an opinion is.

Regardless fuck this shit. I'm done.

Maybe you need research on what discussion forums is. Go back to your safe space. :laugh:

7 minutes ago, DingDongWong said:

Maybe you need research on what discussion forums is. Go back to your safe space. :laugh:

If this truly was a discussion forum then I'd be able to share my thoughts without being attacked.

Also you people should look up what passive aggressive means.

Edited by Nich2440

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Did this Thread become a fight against Nich2440?

That's every thread apparently. Guess I'm not welcome here.

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

That's every thread apparently. Guess I'm not welcome here.

Sadly there's a group of people here who if you don't share their or Phil's opinion, you're considered the devil or something, if they haven't been banned already..

But yeah, I'm gonna have to ask some of you to chill with your personal vendetta against Nich or anyone else. I made this thread so people can discuss and share their opinions on all this. Otherwise a mod can come in here and just lock this thread.

Now can we all be good lil boys and girls 'round here and share our opinions without attacking eachother?