The King of Hate Forums
ThatCatGuy

Vidme Shutting Down/Content Creators Going Extinct?

The people behind Vidme announced they are shutting down on Dec 15th for good. Sad news for anyone who hoped for a new platform beyond YouTube.

This all raises another question, is the hay day of the online content creator over with? YouTube is unquestionably dying with advertisers being pulled, content getting demonitized frequently, and just YouTube making bad moves in general (CEO of YouTube -Whateverhernameis decided to hire 10,000 new employees just to be the internet police when It comes to bad content on Youtube).

YouTube is a far cry from what it once was and will only get worse until nobody is making money anymore. I thought vidme would be the rebirth of old YouTube but it's hard to compete. So that leaves Twitch, which is thriving right now but you can't help but get the feeling that Twitch is whoring itself out at the moment with all this microtransaction bullshit. Nobody is on that platform to just purely have fun.

Is the pure content creator dying? Will people always have to run some gimmick to make themselves popular or have to do all types of shoutouts just to turn a profit?

I know some after reading this are going to be like "uuuhhhh DSP has to do all this stuff so does that mean you think DSP is whoring himself out?" Well not really, I understand because DSP making some poor financial decisions and not investing into a Plan B he has to do certain things to survive. But If you take a look back the old 2012 DSP would not be too fond of 2018 DSP. Anyways I'm kind of rambling, what do you guys think about the future of content? Will there be another platform where the little guy could thrive again?

Edited by ThatCatGuy

Let's get one thing straight here. YouTube isn't going anywhere. What we're seeing is small to medium creators leave the site. But if the actual viewers don't leave then YouTube loses nothing. I noticed this myself when I started uploading exclusively to Vid.me. I expected people to watch my videos on the site but whenever I watched videos it was always on YouTube.

What's happening is YouTube is becoming less about creators making a living and more about companies who find success on the site. That doesn't mean the site is going to die.

4 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

Let's get one thing straight here. YouTube isn't going anywhere. What we're seeing is small to medium creators leave the site. But if the actual viewers don't leave then YouTube loses nothing. I noticed this myself when I started uploading exclusively to Vid.me. I expected people to watch my videos on the site but whenever I watched videos it was always on YouTube.

What's happening is YouTube is becoming less about creators making a living and more about companies who find success on the site. That doesn't mean the site is going to die.

Was it you saying Phil should upload to vidme a while back yes? Bet you feel relieved he didn't take your advice now eh?

2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Was it you saying Phil should upload to vidme a while back yes? Bet you feel relieved he didn't take your advice now eh?

At the time it sounded like a good idea (for the vlogging channel only). The whole reason I started uploading there was because they don't have a system that automatically blocks the videos or limit ads based on nonsense. Honestly I think vidme just gave up too easily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

At the time it sounded like a good idea (for the vlogging channel only). The whole reason I started uploading there was because they don't have a system that automatically blocks the videos or limit ads based on nonsense. Honestly I think vidme just gave up too easily.

Considering the competition.......:ph34r:

I hope twitch doesn't become the new youtube, because eventually they are gonna put themselves into the same corner and lose track of what they are.

4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I hope twitch doesn't become the new youtube, because eventually they are gonna put themselves into the same corner and lose track of what they are.

Do you mean you hope they don't they don't compete with YouTube or hope they don't make poor decisions. Because I think the former is necessary at this point.

1 hour ago, ThatCatGuy said:

Is the pure content creator dying? Will people always have to run some gimmick to make themselves popular or have to do all types of shoutouts just to turn a profit?

I know some after reading this are going to be like "uuuhhhh DSP has to do all this stuff so does that mean you think DSP is whoring himself out?" Well not really, I understand because DSP making some poor financial decisions and not investing into a Plan B he has to do certain things to survive. But If you take a look back the old 2012 DSP would not be too fond of 2018 DSP. Anyways I'm kind of rambling, what do you guys think about the future of content? Will there be another platform where the little guy could thrive again?

Gimmicks will never stop being a thing, they are there to seperate you from the crowd. They are what makes you unique. If everyone does the same thing, then everyone in the same field will just saturate the market and bore people.

Eventually anoter Latform will rise. Will it be as good if not greater then Youtube or Twitch? I can't speculate.

1 minute ago, Nich2440 said:

Do you mean you hope they don't they don't compete with YouTube or hope they don't make poor decisions. Because I think the former is necessary at this point.

Poor Decisions. Twitch doesn't need to be anything more then it already is. It has nearly the perfect Streaming System. But of course expansions will always happn with success, just hope they don't reach to far and become the next fallen Titan.

I think Twitch should make video uploading more prominent so that small YouTubers have somewhere to go. That's what's so fucked up by this situation. Now that Vidme and blip are out of the picture where are people going to go? Dailymotion? What seems more likely is that everyone is going to have to run back to YouTube and forced to put up with bullshit. And more then likely people can't do YouTube for a living anymore. It will have to go back to being a hobby which will limit the quality they put into it.

Wow, this is very sad that Vidme shutting down on Dec 15th.I did not expect something like that.  It means phil has to focus on twitch. Phil can use in the future Dailymotion or Vimeo.

1 hour ago, alex89 said:

Wow, this is very sad that Vidme shutting down on Dec 15th.I did not expect something like that.  It means phil has to focus on twitch. Phil can use in the future Dailymotion or Vimeo.

Vimeo wouldn't be a good fit. The atmosphere there is different then YouTube. It's more about the video then the creator there. Everything is shot like a documentary with very few vlog style videos. Hell they only started allowing gameplay in 2014.

5 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Vimeo wouldn't be a good fit. The atmosphere there is different then YouTube. It's more about the video then the creator there. Everything is shot like a documentary with very few vlog style videos. Hell they only started allowing gameplay in 2014.

Interesting what about dailymotion, the same atmosphere as vimeo. Can he use veoh?

Otherwise he has to use twitch.

12 minutes ago, alex89 said:

Interesting what about dailymotion, the same atmosphere as vimeo. Can he use veoh?

Otherwise he has to use twitch.

The viewer base simply won't be the same on other platforms so I don't think he'll get much out of it.

Too bad, for the sake of viewers Youtube needs competition.

56 minutes ago, ThatCatGuy said:

Best bet is probably Twitch but he still needs to develop his audience over there to fully be dependent on Twitch. If Phil would of never left Twitch for those 2 years, he'd be in a much better position. He is probably kicking himself for leaving for such a minor reason.

To be fair, he was doing much better financially back then, I don't think he could have foresaw all the crap that was heading his way.

There are lots and lots of alternatives to youtube. Dailymotion for example. All of them one search away. Youtubers went to vidme for the tip function, not for anything else.