The King of Hate Forums
kill-chan

Twitch growth and monthly goals

I'l just keep it short.

week in preview 1/1/2018

Spoiler

17:35

I think goals based on "the number of people" are always a bad, BAD idea, in general:

• that won't bring new people to your twitch. you need to do collabs and hostings for that.
  • even in the best case scenario (you get all of your current viewers to sub) that number  will eventually reach a limit at some point
  • it's an artificial and temporary growth: some fans might just sub for month 1 and unsub during month 2 cause they might not be interested in the goal for month 2... just like they do with patreon.

21:09

way better idea.

that's not gonna make your twitch grow either and patreon might go down... but at least you're giving the fans a more comfortable, interactive and on-the-fly way than patreon to reach the goal and, why not, maybe that would get rid of the troll cheers.

while you're at it, consider adding a progress bar, or better, have a bot in the chat mention this goal thing from time to time (every 30' or so) so that you don't have to talk about it.

I'm not sure it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Edited by kill-chan
typo :D

I both agree and disagree. I don't think having sub goals is an inherently bad thing, but the way Phil is going about is...not the best way he could have. He's pushing too hard in my opinion. Trying to force growth rather than get it naturally. If you look at other streamers who have sub goals the only thing usually locked behind the goal is the extra emotes they'd get access to when they reach the goal. They do, however, have events for the subs and I think that's the way to go about.

Doing monthly Subscriber Appreciation events would be a great way to promote subbing without making it obligatory in my opinion. For example, the Indies Marathon Phil has planned for the sub goal. Instead of locking it behind a goal just do it and promote it as a Subscriber Appreciation event. "If you're a Twitch sub you'll get to pick what I play in the event.". Do this while still having a goal visible on screen. Phil's goal of 450 subs coincides with an emote tier so that could be what the goal is for. Two more emotes for everyone to use.

I honestly don't expect Phil to do any of this, but these are my thoughts. Just wanted to get them out there.

So with this change, Patreon numbers have bombed. Phil is now down to 164 Patrons and getting lower. He's also down from 550+ subs to sub 500. With the Patron's choice playthrough being a 600 sub goal there's really no risk in it ever being an issue, but how does 600 people coming together to secure a goal, for the 79 people who pledge $5 or more to pick what game is played? 

EVEN if all 79 people picked the same game, 521 people who made the goal possible won't get a say. Unless they double dip and donate to Phil twice through different means. 

And that's the best case scenario - it's most likely that of the 79 people with voting rights, a min majority of 40 (if there's two choices) or even lower number of people will choose what 600+ people watch.

It's concerning, but I doubt we'll push 600 subs any time soon. I already know what Phil's response will be so spare the abridged versions.