The King of Hate Forums

About the prestreams...

Not gonna sugarcoat it, the length of the prestreams is getting kind of ridiculous. It's at the point where every day now it's 45 minutes to an hour or more long when it should realistically be 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Screenshot_20180107-141210.thumb.png.923bc7d7a31b1b7f002e9e45f3f67cad.pngScreenshot_20180107-141156.thumb.png.c20679d4afaf46c47d7550b07452af3a.pngScreenshot_20180107-141127.thumb.png.dce06a5b482ff4530fe5004d5a890f17.pngScreenshot_20180107-141117.thumb.png.c1e225807afab758b72bd5eabbfdca07.png

Add on the time before the prestream and you're talking almost an hour and half before any gameplay happens every single day. I can't be the only one who sees a problem with this. The mass shoutouts at the end of the prestreams contribute to it but most of it is because of Phil's tendency to explain everything in excrutiating detail and repeat himself. You gotta do something to streamline it man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No shit, hasn't it been like this for years?

Stream is supposed to start at X time.

He starts the stream like 15 minutes after X due to something going wrong.

Pre-prestream goes on for 20 minutes.

Pre-stream goes on for 40 minutes.

Gameplay starts.

• Like 2

I absolutely agree. In fact pre-stream should be 5 minutes long (After the remixes).

"Welcome to the stream, we're playing Metal Gear Solid 3 today. We are currently at [BLANK] subs. If we reach 450 I will do an indies marathon. Please pledge to my Patreon to be able to vote on the indie games I will play as well as support my channel and buy my merch on tee-spring"

Then power though the shoutouts. We don't need rambling stories.

Honestly he does it better on his second stream.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

I absolutely agree. In fact pre-stream should be 5 minutes long (After the remixes).

"Welcome to the stream, we're playing Metal Gear Solid 3 today. We are currently at [BLANK] subs. If we reach 450 I will do an indies marathon. Please pledge to my Patreon to be able to vote on the indie games I will play as well as support my channel and buy my merch on tee-spring"

Then power though the shoutouts. We don't need rambling stories.

Honestly he does it better on his second stream.

I wouldn't say it needs to be that short, but 45 minutes or longer is excessive. 20 minutes as most would honestly be fine.

29 minutes ago, Meteo_Zegarra2018 said:

Didn't you notice that he starts to stream earlier now.... maybe pay attention :) 

That doesn't change the hour plus wait before gameplay every day.

5 minutes ago, Hellblazer said:

I wouldn't say it needs to be that short, but 45 minutes or longer is excessive. 20 minutes as most would honestly be fine.

That doesn't change the hour plus wait before gameplay every day.

Well I started short but the maximum should be 30 minutes including remixes. So between 15-30 minutes of the stream being live gameplay should start thus resulting in more gameplay.

• Like 1

I gotta agree the prestreams are unnecessarily super long, and they are usually only that long to address the daily drama that surrounds Phil. 

I saw several people in that chat complain about it on multiple days. They say things like "Where's the game?" Or "This guy wants me to donate to support his gameplay but I've been here 30 minutes and haven't seen one game get played". Those people get timed out or banned and never heard from again. Older fans are use to it, but new watchers are not going to deal with the ban hammer asylum that is the stream chatroom and the obnoxiously long prestreams everyday.

Edited by TomDickerson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's another reason why this is a good thing to do. He's now using his schedule for when he takes time off and is able to produce 4 hours of gameplay from one stream. Before this he produced 5 hours of gameplay for 2 streams. Jumping straight into the game as soon as he's ready will give him an hour of extra gameplay.

That mean he doesn't have to do double streams everyday. That time will be crucial for when his girlfriend moves in. Not only will he have time to spend with her he'll also have time do do other personal things like going to the gym, making friends, and also get in a good sleeping schedule. Double streams could be a weekend thing (Fridays and Saturdays). Also if he needs to this will give him time to edit or vlog.

In other words the ability to choose between streaming, making videos, or personal life during the evenings. And all he has to do is cut the pre-streams. This is the best advice anyone can give him right now.

I'm going to add on to this. A streamer I sometimes watch streams 5 days a week for 4-6 hours (Sometimes more). But the other day he did a 5.5 hour stream. He played music for 9 minutes, talked for one minute, and gameplay started within 10 minutes. He took a 15 minute food break in the middle. Counting the bathroom breaks that's 5 hours of content.

How he is able to do this is A) He already had the game booted before he started talking B) He gave shoutouts but didn't read messages C) He is straight and too the point when plugging his shit.

That is how pre-strem should be but since Phil has more to talk about the the person I mentioned, then 15 minutes would be ideal.

2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Pre streams are there to build the viewership up before the start of the game which fans wouldn't want to miss. So think again.

But a whole hour? 15 minutes is more than enough time for people to get on stream on time.

• Like 1

Okay, enough whining. And I do mean that, because that's all this thread has been: nothing constructive, no reasons as to why I shouldn't do an informative prestream every day. Just whining.

When I didn't used to do shout-outs for cheers/subs/tips on stream, pre-streams lasted about 20-30 minutes. Now that I do the shout-outs, the pre-streams have doubled because...guess what?...I'm doing shout-outs before we start the game!

Every day I promise around 4 hours of gameplay. And every day, that's what you get on my 1st streams. The stream starts around 11:30am (an hour earlier than when I used to start, by the way), pre-stream starts around 11:45, and then it ends between 12:30-12:45pm followed by 4 hours of gameplay, with a 15-minute break thrown in. Nowhere in there is gameplay lost; I'm delivering the same 4 hours I've promised.

If you don't want to hear prestream, don't show up for prestream. Show out around 12:30 when typically gameplay begins. If you want to see someone do streaming differently, there are thousands of streamers you can watch. If the prestream bothers you SO MUCH that you can't stay because you're so impatient, that is a shortcoming of YOU, not me. I cover a ton of informative stuff during pre-streams and the vast majority of viewers like them.

3 hours ago, TomDickerson said:

I saw several people in that chat complain about it on multiple days. They say things like "Where's the game?" Or "This guy wants me to donate to support his gameplay but I've been here 30 minutes and haven't seen one game get played". Those people get timed out or banned and never heard from again.

Because those people aren't actually there to be constructive and enjoy the stream. They're trolls (which is why you'll notice, none of them are subbed or have ever cheered, and they're names you've never seen before) who only join to try and shit on my gameplay. When the gameplay doesn't immediately start, they get impatient that they can't get toxic right away, so they spam stream chat with generic complaints. They get banned, don't come back, and their trolling gets shut down before it ever starts. This has been the case ever since I started streaming in 2013 and it will continue; trust me, I know what I'm doing after 5 years.

Pre-streams are not a waste of time and are informative for regulars and newcomers alike. You know what is a waste of time? Threads like this that aren't constructive at all, but instead are just created for people to air their pet peeves. Don't like prestreams? Then show up at 12:30pm PST every day instead of 11:30; but when you're uninformed about what's going on daily, don't expect everyone to hold your hand and personally answer your questions when the knowledge was made public, but you were too impatient to listen.

Now please, stop it.

• Phil locked this topic