The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Nintendo Labo

At the end of the day it's all about the software. That's the video game. Not the cardboard. That was the problem with 1-2 Switch. the actual "gameplay" was an imaginary finger duel. The software didn't do anything besides track who won.

So here's my opinion on this. If the software itself consists of an intelligible gameplay experience then I'm fine with it. If not then they are once again selling people's imagination as video games. You can't put a price on that. You can sell the materials but selling it as a video game is ludicrous.

Reminds me of when i used to make paper toys by gluing pieces of different colored sheets together on primary. Even the principal on my school praised me for that.

After watching the podcast today I found a good point on why this may be stupid. It seems like the Switch and controllers are is an accessory for the cardboard and not the other way around. But like I said above if the games are good then it's fine. From the looks of the trailer it seems most of the mini games can be played without the cardboard.

Most people will watch Phil's videos on this just out of curiosity and to laugh at the gimmick., rather than that they are actually interested in buying it.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll be honest. This make the Labo way more interesting. I'd much rather create my own mini game then play one that was created in advance.

Edit: I take back everything I said about the Labo. This is fucking amazing.

Edited by Nich2440

I won't be picking up a Labo, but I fully intend to watch streams where people look like assholes wearing them.

Gonna need some extra butter on my popcorn for that week.

While I'll not be buying Labo because I'm old and lack any creativity, I think this is a fantastic item for kids. It encourages not only creative thinking but also teaches basic programming concepts. Giving kids the ability to take an idea and see it through to the end could help build the skill and drive to pursue more advance skills like computer programming, robotics, etc., when they might otherwise have never been interested. If the product works well, 5-10 years from now we'll hear of people pursuing Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and similar studies due to the Labo. 

The product is not for me but I'm quite glad that it exists.