The King of Hate Forums
NoNineteenth

DSP and Nintendo

1 minute ago, LastRambo341 said:

I believe Nintendo is right and you are wrong. You are not certified nor have any creditentials for me take your word.

Except home consoles and handheld console are already clearly defined. One goes in your home and one goes in your hand. There is no such thing as a hybrid just because you converted the single to your TV. Right now I have my PC hooked up to my TV and it's still a TV when I launch Steam. The Switch's hardware is in the tablet therefore it's a handheld.  It's just common sense.

I swear if you ignore all this logic because "Nintendo said so" then you're hopeless. Nintendo is LYING to you because they don't want to admit that they've abandoned consoles for handhelds.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:32 AM, Phil said:

Port of an old game, port of an old game (That's proven to run worse than the other versions on modern consoles), standard 1st party franchise, ACTUALLY NEW GAME (but it's a retro JRPG so it immediately loses mainstream appeal), port of an old game that's already on all other consoles, standard 1st party franchise. Sorry, but the 1st party announcements are non-announcements bc we all know they're already coming, bc they're the only games that sell super well on Nintendo consoles to begin with.

Saying: "Standard 1st party franchise" with a negative connotation really makes no sense to me. 1st party games are what separate the different consoles and is the heart of Nintendo. To me, it doesn't make sense if you call yourself a fan of Nintendo and not interested at all at any of the games shown. From what I see, you're better calling yourself a fan of Mario and Zelda, cause thats all I've ever seen you interested in. I'm just calling it as I see it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mikleo said:

Saying: "Standard 1st party franchise" with a negative connotation really makes no sense to me. 1st party games are what separate the different consoles and is the heart of Nintendo. To me, it doesn't make sense if you call yourself a fan of Nintendo and not interested at all at any of the games shown. From what I see, you're better calling yourself a fan of Mario and Zelda, cause thats all I've ever seen you interested in. I'm just calling it as I see it.

And he unfortunately missed a lot of Switch games because of his dismissal such as Hyrule Warriors and possibly Kirby now. 

37 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

Except home consoles and handheld console are already clearly defined. One goes in your home and one goes in your hand. There is no such thing as a hybrid just because you converted the single to your TV. Right now I have my PC hooked up to my TV and it's still a TV when I launch Steam. The Switch's hardware is in the tablet therefore it's a handheld.  It's just common sense.

I swear if you ignore all this logic because "Nintendo said so" then you're hopeless. Nintendo is LYING to you because they don't want to admit that they've abandoned consoles for handhelds.

Can I play my Switch away from the TV? Yes so it is a handheld 

Can I play my Switch connected to a dock to the TV especially with the Dock adding some extra power? Yes so it is a home console 

Result : hybrid 

You are in denial and acting dumb. If you think I am going to believe such show-off punk such as yourself instead of the actual creators of the device, then I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am educated enough to distinguish between truth/logic and idiocy/falsehood 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LastRambo341 said:

You are in denial and acting dumb. If you think I am going to believe such show-off punk such as yourself instead of the actual creators of the device, then I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am educated enough to distinguish between truth/logic and idiocy/falsehood 

Funny because you just ignored every logical point I made so you can only believe what you want to. That is what we call confirmation bias.

If you think taking what someone says at face value without questing it makes you educated and logical then you sir are a dumbass.

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

Funny because you just ignored every logical point I made so you can only believe what you want to. That is what we call confirmation bias.

If you think taking what someone says at face value without questing it makes you educated and logical then you sir are a dumbass.

Nintendo created it so I take the information from THEM or from the instruction manual. Why would I not believe someone who had absolutely no part in the development process :)?   Because it logically does not make sense. I go to the experts. 

Edited by LastRambo341

2 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

You should be allowed to share your opinion but to call others out as a dumbass... wow.. I guess the rule "speak how you would like to be spoken to" applies here. 

Like has been said before, gamers play for the games not the company. It has never mattered as long as said companies provide great games. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy

19 hours ago, moka'roka said:

The reason you purchase a system is because of their first party games.  I purchase a switch so I can play Mario, Zelda, and Pokken.  I also purchased the PS4 for Uncharted, Last of Us, and God of War.  First party games are what entice ppl to buy the system.

I agree, but it also helps to have a good third party exclusive selection as well, Nintendo can't make great 1st party titles all the time.

7 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

I have all of those systems. But with the Switch, I have exclusives and to play games anywhere I want.

Not that many 3rd party exclusives though, maybe in time it will get better, right now though nope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WOOF! said:

I agree, but it also helps to have a good third party exclusive selection as well, Nintendo can't make great 1st party titles all the time.

Not that many 3rd party exclusives though, maybe in time it will get better, right now though nope.

Third party exclusive is a rare thing nowadays.....  Look at majority of third party games.  They are released on every system or a console exclusive and on PC.  If you have a gaming PC the console exclusive thing doesn’t really effect you.

Also, Microsoft first party games are all going to Windows 10 expect Halo.  So the only system not wroth owning os the Xbox One.  Thought I just throw that out there.

Edited by moka'roka

7 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

Because it logically does not make sense. I go to the experts. 

You keep telling yourself that. I'm done arguing with a child that refuses to use critical thought.

I agree. I'd also like to see the effects of streaming against sales of games for Nintendo. vs Microsoft and Sony. 

Would be interesting to see if Nintendo is doing the right thing or not.

Edited by CalvinHarris

43 minutes ago, CalvinHarris said:

I agree. I'd also like to see the effects of streaming against sales of games for Nintendo. vs Microsoft and Sony. 

Would be interesting to see if Nintendo is doing the right thing or not.

The issue with trying to do a study like that is that while Microsoft and Sony have only had one console gen come out, Nintendo's had two consoles between when they started the restrictions on ad revenue and today. And as we've seen, there's been a huge difference in sales, both hardware and software, between the Wii U and the Switch. So that fact added in, you can't really make the comparison.

But now that I'm thinking about it, the 3DS/2DS family could be used in this analysis. And this is just based on overall sales between 2016 and 2017, but 3DS and PS4 sales (hardware and software) actually increased in 2017 compared to 2016 while Microsoft's sales are more unknown since they don't like reporting that stuff (last I remember). So using this, it seems like what Nintendo does with streaming has no effect on overall sales. But I think the reason for this is that people still upload plenty of videos and stream a lot of nintendo games despite what Nintendo does.

Another thing to point out. Nintendo is the only publisher developer games for their new system. The PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X are only focused on making every game on previous platforms playable so I think the Switch will crush the "mid generation" in the long run.

19 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

You keep telling yourself that. I'm done arguing with a child that refuses to use critical thought.

I shall do so :D toodles! 

On ١٣‏/٣‏/٢٠١٨ at 4:02 PM, WOOF! said:

3rd party exclusives are very rare 

• Like 1

To further analyse this, let us look at the list of Nintendo Switch exclusive games that Phil skipped in the past year:

Fast Racing RMX

Fire Emblem Warriors

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

(Possibly) Kirby Star Allies

Splatoon 2

4 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Neither of those games would be good playthroughs and just waste Phil's time.

Which two of that list of games are you referring to?

Also, it might be a bit short sighted to say they would not be good playthroughs and be a waste of time since: 1) You can argue that for almost anything and 2) it isn't as if those kinds of playthroughs haven't been done in the past anyways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Neither of those games would be good playthroughs and just waste Phil's time.

That is not the point. The point is that there are Switch games available to play because, previously, I believed he criticised the Switch for the lack of games 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Another_Derich said:

Which two of that list of games are you referring to?

Also, it might be a bit short sighted to say they would not be good playthroughs and be a waste of time since: 1) You can argue that for almost anything and 2) it isn't as if those kinds of playthroughs haven't been done in the past anyways.

Fast Racing RMX = Never even heard of this one

Fire Emblem Warriors = Widely criticized 

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 = very long JRPG

(Possibly) Kirby Star Allies = Basic platformer

Splatoon 2 = More of the same from Splatoon 1

I'm not saying they're bad games but they would not get good viewership for Phil so skipping them was a good choice.

2 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

I'm not saying they're bad games but they would not get good viewership for Phil so skipping them was a good choice.

Fast Racing RMX is basically not F-Zero, but it's a pretty good racer.

Fire Emblem Warriors, besides the character controversy, is a very fun game, I've played quite a bit of it. But since Phil isn't much of a FE fan, it wouldn't have made sense for him to play this anyway.

XC2, I'll agree with you there 100%. I love the game so far, but based on what happened with XC1 and the length, also makes sense that he didn't play it.

Kirby, definitely agree since while it's a good game, based on reviews, the formula has just gotten stale and it wouldn't have been anything new for viewers to see.

And Splatoon 2, we know Phil's opinions on 1 and wouldn't have changed with the sequel, nor would the viewership.

So yeah, I do agree on Phil skipping these even if I wanted to see him play XC2.

Now if we're talking about future releases, Detective Pikachu is right there next week. People enjoyed him playing LA Noire, and DP is also a detective game, so that could be good viewership I believe. Although, that should be a downtime game since Far Cry 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 come out the same day and will obviously be more important.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Fact Racing RMX : Your problem 

Fire Emblem Warriors : Only invalidly criticised by rabid fanboys. However, neutral gamers such as myself, liked it 

XC2: Yes, a long JRPG just like Nino Kuni 2, which Phil will play 

Kirby: and Uncharted is a standard 1st party Sony game. Your point? 

Splatoon 2: You can say that about any sequel 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

I think maybe a couple of these at most would perform worse than the games that have been played so far. At least these would try to break up the run-n-gun shooter he has been doing. The one that I think would really hurt the viewership is Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Otherwise, they would probably at least be worth a shot compared to what are essentially re-runs of previous playthroughs.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:16 PM, LastRambo341 said:

Can I play my Switch connected to a dock to the TV especially with the Dock adding some extra power? Yes so it is a home console 

Result : hybrid 

The switch’s dock doesn’t add any additional processing power. It’s literally a passthrough device only (which is why 3rd party docks can be sold)  that converts the handheld’s signal to be displayed on a TV. The horsepower that helps render games at at a 1080p TV resolution in dock mode is solely handled by the tablet portion using additional processing potential (Which can be at the expense of framerate stability which has been proven in some titles).

The reason why Nintendo decided not to run the tablet in 1080p is due to battery consumption concerns (The damn thing can barely even handle BOTW for three hours undocked, so how long do you think the battery would last running at 1080p?)  and the additional cost of manufacturing a 1080p capable display. 

So using the term “hybrid console” isn’t entirely accurate as the dock is only a signal transferring device. If you are calling this a “hybrid console,” you would have to call the PSP a “hybrid console” as well because of it’s capability to connect to the TV.

Edited by ForumMember