The King of Hate Forums
Nich2440

It makes no sense to have short videos anymore.

2 hours ago, masterxeon2002 said:

You 100% know this or are you just guessing?

He hasn't posted any evidence to the contrary so... You are correct sir.

Edited by Amityville

3 hours ago, Amityville said:

He hasn't posted any evidence to the contrary so... You are correct sir.

There's no proof that suggests engagement effects ad revenue either. All we have is Machinima's word which I find questionable.

Keep in mind when they told this to Phil they were simply guessing as to why his ad revenue was down. We now know for a fact that the true cause was YouTube losing advertisers. Even more reason to believe that Machinima didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

I don't have proof that suggests engagement affects the ad-revenue on a YouTube channel but in my head it makes logical sense that the high paying advertisers want to see some positive figures for their money and they sort of don't care how it gets done just that it gets done. Once payment has been made I guess that's YouTubes problem to figure out who gets the good ads and their ad-revenue.

There was a story when Jake Paul uploaded a suicide video or something that he was kicked off the preference program that advertisers could pay more to get their ads shown on a certain elitist group of channels so we know the preference program exists...though to be fair wherever elitism and seclusion is Google isn't far away from it as they sing how inclusive and welcoming they all are.

42 minutes ago, masterxeon2002 said:

I don't have proof that suggests engagement affects the ad-revenue on a YouTube channel but in my head it makes logical sense that the high paying advertisers want to see some positive figures for their money and they sort of don't care how it gets done just that it gets done. Once payment has been made I guess that's YouTubes problem to figure out who gets the good ads and their ad-revenue.

There was a story when Jake Paul uploaded a suicide video or something that he was kicked off the preference program that advertisers could pay more to get their ads shown on a certain elitist group of channels so we know the preference program exists...though to be fair wherever elitism and seclusion is Google isn't far away from it as they sing how inclusive and welcoming they all are.

Well actually I saw a video that explains how ads work. I'll post it later.

Basically the advertiser selects a demographic and how much money they want to pay for every 1000 views.

YouTube's system then waits for people to watch a video and chooses an ad that matches that person and it starts with the highest bid.

Typically advertisers with a very narrow and specific audience pay higher while advertisers who want to reach everyone pay way less.

So if you want better ads you make content that attracts an audience of a small niche.

The video uses an example that a mobile game about fashion would want females who like fashion and mobile games and thus pay higher.

Nowhere does it mention engagement or retention. It's first come first serve according to the video I saw.

Well since I was post blocked for two days from the man himself for a misunderstanding I'll leave this topic alone. Even though I don't agree with your suggestion Nich244, I respect you because at least you debated back reasonable rebutes instead of just insulting me then post block me because you didn't agree with a fraction of what I've said.

Imo, too short, especially rpgs. Ur not going to change zones/story/boss battles in mere 10 mins.

imagine vids having names like  “X boss battle”, “X boss rage”, “X boss cheats”, “X boss down” for a 40min boss fight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

Ill be honest I dont mind the short vids, the way he titles it allows me to pick which ever part im interested in and watch it. But I see your POV nonetheless.

Not sure I agree with this. His titles are vauge and generic. Would be better if they were named after the mission or chapter.

8 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Imo, too short, especially rpgs. Ur not going to change zones/story/boss battles in mere 10 mins.

imagine vids having names like  “X boss battle”, “X boss rage”, “X boss cheats”, “X boss down” for a 40min boss fight.

This too. If uploading the whole stream is unreasonable then perhaps a compromise can be made for videos that cover certain parts of the game instead of a fragment of the segment.

The title thing doesn't matter because no matter what he puts in the title he won't show up in search results for many reasons. These suggestions are great but I've said this before, Phil is concentrating on Twitch. He's not going to apply any of this. I'm sure he's read through this entire thread and the only thing he commented on was something completely off-topic. Shows how much he cares about the rest of the positive feedback here if the only thing he cares to address was a bad choice he made years back.

1 hour ago, MDCFAN101 said:

TBH, I really had no problem with Phil having longer videos. They never bored me at all. 

Of course, if you watch an hour of DSP gameplay, why would it bore you that it was one video instead of six?

20 minutes ago, thatanonymouse said:

Of course, if you watch an hour of DSP gameplay, why would it bore you that it was one video instead of six?

TBH, I don't care about the length of the video, I just care about the quality of entertainment that I'm presented with.  Get what I'm saying?

• Like 1

Honestly, it's not about getting bored. It's about what gets the best search results and what makes it easier to find content.

Mick Foley had a good analogy in his second book, Foley is Good, about writing his first book, Have a Nice Day! A small book is like a tiny white, uh, "toy." It might not be special, but it's less intimidating and sells better. A massive book is like a baby's arm holding an apple. It catches your eye at first, but no one it willing to "try it out."

A ten minute video is like a lil white "toy," an hour long video is a baby's arm holding an apple.

However, when you don't have a store on the street corner and you're hoping on word of mouth to lead people to your vendor's cart under a bridge beside the sex addict's convention, the baby's arm holding an apple might be your best seller instead.

Edited by thatanonymouse
  • Like 1

So I noticed Phil is transitioning to moving vlogs to DSPGaming. A smart move since they get demonetized on the other channel. But how is one supposed to find a one-off video on the channel that has 30 parts of a stream uploaded in one day? The vlogs would be buried within a week.

It's not a smart move if the channel isn't organized. They'll get buried like the reviews and much of the edited stuff he use to do years back before KOGaming was created. But like he said, YouTube is an archive for him. Just watch the vlog while it's brand new or search the backlog like you would search a full shelf of encyclopedias and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, KamKaploow said:

^^^Makes no damn sense^^^

When people see an hour long runtime, they're more intimidated.

'They see Seven minutes, they're more likely to take the chance.

However, he's getting exposure to a group of people who are no longer the type who will take a chance simply because it's short, and will plunge into an hour long video for the chance at a longer video of his gameplay.

6 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Not sure I agree with this. His titles are vauge and generic. Would be better if they were named after the mission or chapter.

I think they are a mixed bag, he emphasizes the moments of rage or glitches which are a good thing, but when nothing like that is happening then I agree with naming it after the mission/chapter, another thing which I've suggested in the past is including popular Youtube search words, particularly on videos were not much is happening.

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

So I noticed Phil is transitioning to moving vlogs to DSPGaming. A smart move since they get demonetized on the other channel. But how is one supposed to find a one-off video on the channel that has 30 parts of a stream uploaded in one day? The vlogs would be buried within a week.

That was the original reason for the vlogging channel, but since Phil's desperate for money, money>video accessibility.

4 hours ago, thatanonymouse said:

Mick Foley had a good analogy in his second book, Foley is Good, about writing his first book, Have a Nice Day! A small book is like a tiny white, uh, "toy." It might not be special, but it's less intimidating and sells better. A massive book is like a baby's arm holding an apple. It catches your eye at first, but no one it willing to "try it out."

A ten minute video is like a lil white "toy," an hour long video is a baby's arm holding an apple.

However, when you don't have a store on the street corner and you're hoping on word of mouth to lead people to your vendor's cart under a bridge beside the sex addict's convention, the baby's arm holding an apple might be your best seller instead.

So its a tiny white dildo vs a big red butt plug? LOL

Btw, i wanna point out that u said long vids  are more intimidated and will likely give shorter vids a chance. THIS means that they are looking for a concise, “get to the point” content. Those are definitely not phils. They will be gone once they see a gameplay vid of messing in menus or running for more than half of the vid length.

15 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

This too. If uploading the whole stream is unreasonable then perhaps a compromise can be made for videos that cover certain parts of the game instead of a fragment of the segment.

He does need to name them better, especially for PUBG/H1Z1 with the topics in the title ala his GTA 4 rerun playthrough. I'm sure the excuse as to why he won't is because he uploads some 20-30 videos a day and doesnt have the time to title it... which is invalid because he has admitted that he literally just rips the raw file and uploads it onto YouTube which takes no effort, a simple change like titled the videos appropriately can go a long way.

All in all thats why I prefer shorter videos, ONLY if they are titled properly... if it's just H1ZI Playthrough part 1 , then forget about it. 

Edited by FloydMayweather

8 hours ago, WOOF said:

oney>video accessibility.

Video accessibility means more people will watch which gets him more money

What happened to just making great content and not focusing on just making money? As soon as the focus is on money, the quality of the product goes down. Thats with any business in any industry. If the content is great and entertaining, people are going to support and watch. You wouldnt need all these schemes and excuses on why nobody watches Phils stuff. For example, there is a guy named bill wurtz on Youtube whos made two very well made videos on the History of Japan and the World, the rest of his stuff is little 2 minute jingles. The guy has the worst titles in history such as "i have pants" and "la la la la", but he has millions of subscribers and gets millions of views on each video. You know why? Not because his content is the highest quality or he has a large amount of money, i think he even still works a job. Its because people like his personality and the guy is entertaining. "Phil needs to make his videos longer" "No, Phil needs to make his titles better!" All great suggestions, but at the end of the day the content needs to be entertaining, if the viewer isnt entertained, it doesnt matter how well the title is typed or how long the video is or how many times Phil ask the viewer for money, he/she is going to click off the video if they are not entertained.

The content being entertained is a separate topic all together and even then that doesn't negate the need for smart strategies for success.