Jump to content
The King of Hate Forums
Nich2440

It makes no sense to have short videos anymore.

Recommended Posts

Entertainment isnt a whole different different topic because it should be the focus on why you would want to apply such strategies in the first place. I would understand if Phil is some unknown guy looking to get attention but hes not. He was big on Youtube before and many people know who he is, its just the viewership has declined sharply for the past 5 years. Before the copyright strikes the decline was clear. The content has generally stayed the same so I don't see what longer videos and better titles is going do with content that was already getting stale years back. Plus all other Youtubers have adopted these strategies years ago so as far as generating new viewers from search results, it isnt going to do much but bury him on page 10 instead of page 15. And again, Phil isnt focused on Youtube anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KamKaploow said:

Entertainment isnt a whole different different topic because it should be the focus on why you would want to apply such strategies in the first place. I would understand if Phil is some unknown guy looking to get attention but hes not. He was big on Youtube before and many people know who he is, its just the viewership has declined sharply for the past 5 years. Before the copyright strikes the decline was clear. The content has generally stayed the same so I don't see what longer videos and better titles is going do with content that was already getting stale years back. Plus all other Youtubers have adopted these strategies years ago so as far as generating new viewers from search results, it isnt going to do much but bury him on page 10 instead of page 15. And again, Phil isnt focused on Youtube anymore...

This has nothing to do with entertainment. This is about formatting his videos to benefit from the algorithm as well as make things easier for him.

Plus he's not on page 15. If you actually search for "[game title] playthrough" in most cases his videos show up on the second or third page. At least for more recent playthroughs anyway. But the ones at the top are almost always several hours long. Considering that most YouTubes use walkthrough or let's play in their titles, increasing the length would give him a huge boost for people who search for playthroughs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree entirely but ive explained why thouroughly. What do you say to him specifically saying he doesn't care about Youtube and is focusing on Twitch? Phil has read through this thread and put out dozens of Videos while this thread was up and active and hasnt made any change. Not even said a word about anything relevant to the topic. So why do you think he hasnt applied these strategies yet nor none of the other great suggestions? My theory is he either doesnt want to put in the effort, doesnt care, or see's some flaw in your logic that hurts his money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Video accessibility means more people will watch which gets him more money

Not in Phil's case as he says he makes most of his money on dspgaming and ad revenue is poor on the vlogging channel.

4 hours ago, KamKaploow said:

What happened to just making great content and not focusing on just making money? As soon as the focus is on money, the quality of the product goes down. Thats with any business in any industry.

That's what happens when you live in a capitalist ideology where politicians prioritize big business interests and helping them make as much profit regardless of any consequences, the mentality then spreads to the general populous.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KamKaploow said:

What do you say to him specifically saying he doesn't care about Youtube and is focusing on Twitch? Phil has read through this thread and put out dozens of Videos while this thread was up and active and hasnt made any change. Not even said a word about anything relevant to the topic. So why do you think he hasnt applied these strategies yet nor none of the other great suggestions? My theory is he either doesnt want to put in the effort, doesnt care, or see's some flaw in your logic that hurts his money.

5

The way he's doing it now is way more effort than what I am purposing. It's fine that he's focusing only on Twitch but he also needs the YouTube revenue. So why wouldn't he make a change to increase it without any more work?  It's like if your boss realizes that you're surpassing his expectations so he offers you a raise but you decline the raise because you're making enough to get by so you continue to do the same amount of work for less money. It's just asinine to me.

And hey even if the increase in search results view is minimum it still means less work for uploading, less flooding of sub boxes, and more opportunities for one-off videos to be discovered. If YouTube didn't have the feature to enable ads mid video, if he still got paid per views, or if longer videos were proven to get fewer views then I wouldn't make this suggestion. But none of that is the case anymore. His content isn't scripted either so it's not like he has to make it longer by creating more content.

Now the thing is I don't expect him to change his format mid-playthrough. That would be confusing. That being said it doesn't seem like he cares to make the change at all. That's fine. I gave him all the information and logic. What he does with that is his choice.

27 minutes ago, WOOF said:

Not in Phil's case as he says he makes most of his money on dspgaming and ad revenue is poor on the vlogging channel.

1

But there's a reason for that. He uploads 20 videos from one stream which is 20 ads multiplied by his average views. Meanwhile, on the vlogging channel, he only does 1 video a week.

Now, what happens if you take those 20 videos and merge them into one but with commercial breaks strategically placed throughout it? The exact same content, the exact same revenue, and the exact same viewer base but with the addition of a more accessible content so he can get even more views. Then he can have vlogs accessible too with no demonization.

 

Edit: don't ask me why those numbers are in the quotation boxes. I have no clue.

Edited by Nich2440

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, i don't think he's going to make a change either. I still dont understand why he wont put the greenscreen behind his couch for better face cam quality and immersion. Its just a waste of space a fan money just sitting in his garage. Oh well, great debate but it was all for nil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WOOF said:

That's what happens when you live in a capitalist ideology where politicians prioritize big business interests and helping them make as much profit regardless of any consequences, the mentality then spreads to the general populous.

That my friend is unfortunately capitalism's biggest flaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thatanonymouse said:

I changed my mind, make the vids even shorter. Let's go 1 minute each. Fuck it, 45 seconds.

I know you're being sarcastic but it is an interesting point. Even if it was 1 minute per part it's still the same content when you watch it in order (Minus the constant ad interruptions)

Phil's playthroughs are like a 100 piece puzzle. When you watch everything in order it's a complete picture. But in order to do that you need to organize and sort all the pieces.

Oh and I just searched for DSPGaming in YouTube. If you factor out the detractor videos guess what video is first? The IRL stream he just did. More proof that longer videos rank better since all of his videos have the channel name in the tags.

Edited by Nich2440

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatanonymouse said:

I changed my mind, make the vids even shorter. Let's go 1 minute each. Fuck it, 45 seconds.

LOL!!!!  My man, you make good points week in and week out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah lets spam the surviving subbase of DSPGaming with instead of 15 videos a day, 50! All of them a minute long for maximum ad revenue because thats what anyone cares about nowadays. Money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lul i was just about to comment about those Mario Tennis videos. I think this thread made Phil give even less of a fuck about the titles of his videos. I'll just wait until someone makes a highlight video then. Thats just blatant carelessness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't want him to get in trouble for "spamming" - not that it bothers me. Hopefully that was just an issue with Google+ though. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

I wouldn't want him to get in trouble for "spamming" - not that it bothers me. Hopefully that was just an issue with Google+ though. 

It could be. But then again maybe not. We all know how YouTube is and they have been cracking down on spam channels outside of Google+ as well. Makes sense to protect the channel from more bullshit. 

On 6/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, Nich2440 said:

They recently gave a channel a full strike for uploading a short video announcing that they were live on Twitch.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MDCFAN101 said:

That my friend is unfortunately capitalism's biggest flaw.

When it's regulated properly capitalism can work well, it's the people in power who abuse it for greed that make it flawed.

23 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

But there's a reason for that. He uploads 20 videos from one stream which is 20 ads multiplied by his average views. Meanwhile, on the vlogging channel, he only does 1 video a week.

Now, what happens if you take those 20 videos and merge them into one but with commercial breaks strategically placed throughout it? The exact same content, the exact same revenue, and the exact same viewer base but with the addition of a more accessible content so he can get even more views. Then he can have vlogs accessible too with no demonization.

 

Edit: don't ask me why those numbers are in the quotation boxes. I have no clue.

We can make all the arguments for Phil doing longer videos, but at the end of the day he has no interest in doing them, so really this thread is all for naught, I posted a question to Phil for the last Ask The King for a DSP Tries It Patreon perk and Phil was actually very positive about doing it, since then nothing, if Phil doesn't end up doing that, you have no chance of him actually taking up your suggestion in this thread, sorry to be brutal but it's the truth, even if it's actually a decent idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's the issue. Phil does consider positive feedback but has a hard time committing to it. Not that it matters too much though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WOOF said:

When it's regulated properly capitalism can work well, it's the people in power who abuse it for greed that make it flawed.

Anyone who abuses an ideology will corrupt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KamKaploow said:

Lul i was just about to comment about those Mario Tennis videos. I think this thread made Phil give even less of a fuck about the titles of his videos. I'll just wait until someone makes a highlight video then. Thats just blatant carelessness.

Titles can take a while to come up with if you have 47 videos though especially for a boring tennis title. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Titles can take a while to come up with if you have 47 videos though especially for a boring tennis title. Lol.

Well if he cant create titles for 47 videos then maybe he should make the videos longer then. Titles arent that hard to comeup with if you truly know what kind of highlight-able content you can reference in each video and not just press whatever hotkey is assigned to start/stop the recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More vids mean more views, it makes perfect sense, and i have no problem with Phil doing short vids. I dont see what difference it makes anyway, the next vid starts auto if watching a playlist.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StuartAce said:

More vids mean more views, it makes perfect sense, and i have no problem with Phil doing short vids. I dont see what difference it makes anyway, the next vid starts auto if watching a playlist.

He. Does. Not. Make. Money. From. Views. Anymore.

Not trying to be rude but I said this multiple times. He gets paid from ads. And you can put in multiple ads on a long video to have the same profit as several view. What he needs is more viewers not more views.

And I know you can watch them in order with a playlist. In that regard it doesn't matter. But what if you take a break and later want to find where you are? What if you're a new comer to the channel and you want to see the variety of content? What if you want find a video from a week before. What if you're subscribed to the channel and want to see content from your other subscriptions.

The point is you have to scroll through a bunch of crap just to find what you want. It's annoying and will turn people off from watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see why this is still being argued. Phil is not going to use this information and since I just saw a few newcombers banned in stream today for asking a question, i dont think new viewers are even welcome at this point. Phil is trying to get all he can from the viewers that already know him, the problem with that is teenagers are fickle when it comes to what they like one year to the next and eventually will grow out of Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:07 AM, StuartAce said:

More vids mean more views, it makes perfect sense, and i have no problem with Phil doing short vids. I dont see what difference it makes anyway, the next vid starts auto if watching a playlist.

I don't care how long or short the video is as long as the content that is presented to me entertains me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...