The King of Hate Forums
aproxymate

Was the Cyberpower PC only meant for streaming?

I can't remember when was the last time Phil played a PC game. There are a bunch of indie/niche games released all the time on steam but seems he chooses to ignore them and play re-releases or old games. Is PC gaming too intimidating for him or he only wishes to use that PC for streaming? 

• Upvote 1

i believe he could get views with pc games too, there certainly are some gems on steam.

but i think its hard for him to play on pc, he much prefers playing on the couch(loveseat) with a controler

pc gaming isnt for everyone

I think because he couldn't concurrently stream and play off of the same PC at 1080p/60fps, he decided to go back to his usual routine, and PC was relegated to streaming-duty in place of his old one.  He does still play the odd game that can handle it (I think Telltale games's stuff) on PC, but it's rare.  I think he means to try a dual-PC setup before Witcher 3 comes out.  I would further suggest to him, if he reads this, that he change the gfx card from the 780 ti to a 980, as the power consumption will be significantly less for slightly better framerates.

I'm honestly not sure if his PC is beefy enough to accomplish the very intensive 1080p/60fps goal he had in mind, but I know that he didn't exhaust every option before throwing in the towel.  He SHOULD overclock, and he should try delegating specific cores to game and others to the streaming app (people report mixed results with this, but it sometimes helps a fair bit).  There are probably other things he could have tried that people more into streaming could think of.

If nothing else, he's losing a bit of money on cross-platform titles since console games are quite a bit more expensive.

• Upvote 1

but i think its hard for him to play on pc, he much prefers playing on the couch(loveseat) with a controler

​Not sure if you are ignorant or just a rabid fan. Even Phil knows how to connect an Xbox 360/one controller to his PC and a lot of games support it out of the box. And it will be embarrassing if he couldn't figure out PC gaming given the fact that his livelihood depends on gaming.

I would further suggest to him, if he reads this, that he change the gfx card from the 780 ti to a 980, as the power consumption will be significantly less for slightly better framerates.

​There is very little difference in the power consumption between the two specially since he has only one card. Why not use one PC for streaming and other for gaming? He is not streaming in 60fps so his old PC should be able to take care of it.

If nothing else, he's losing a bit of money on cross-platform titles since console games are quite a bit more expensive.

Exactly. He will get a lot of older, unplayed titles for a lot cheaper on the PC. 

​There is very little difference in the power consumption between the two specially since he has only one card.

​I've actually heard it stated in different places that he has one or two, not sure where the official word is?  Maybe dual 970's would be a good upgrade path...

As to whether there'd be a difference, I switched from a 780 to a 970 (probably not too different to upgrading from a 780 ti to a 980) and the draw was about 100 watts less according to the socket meter I have. In any case he was concerned as to whether he'd be able to have two PC's drawing from the wall without tripping.  I'd think it wouldn't be an issue unless he has even more appliances running, but a card change is an option to consider.

​That can't have been what was on his mind when he spent so much money on one.  He wanted it working out of the box, and when it didn't do as he anticipated he threw his hands up and said 'fuck this'.  I'm probably sadder about such a sweet machine going to waste than he is. :)

​Not sure if you are ignorant or just a rabid fan. Even Phil knows how to connect an Xbox 360/one controller to his PC and a lot of games support it out of the box. And it will be embarrassing if he couldn't figure out PC gaming given the fact that his livelihood depends on gaming.

​i just remember phil the few times he tried a game on pc, he had trouble find the letters that do actions.

keep in mind, it is also a comfort thing, who wants to be gaming on a chair when you can do it on a couch?

(loveseat)

​i just remember phil the few times he tried a game on pc, he had trouble find the letters that do actions.

​That's what key rebinding is for.  Although it is true that some poor console ports fail to give you the correct key during tooltips, or assume you're using a pad.

keep in mind, it is also a comfort thing, who wants to be gaming on a chair when you can do it on a couch?

(loveseat)

I enjoy both at the desk and couch gaming, so me for one.

From what I saw, it looked more like Phil got this powerful PC that would've been able to do *ANYTHING* he threw at it for both streaming and gaming. After what happened with streaming Rage, it LOOKED like he didn't want to do more PC games because of that. 1080p/60fps streaming and recording it is EXTREMELY taxing for any PC, I don't think he realised that. In any case, this is just my dumb speculation. (I have a gaming PC myself and knew what he was going through at the time.)

In my honest opinion, Phil is missing out on a lot of great games on PC. Just hoping he takes another look before throwing the opportunity under the bus.

Also, I believe this thread is in the wrong forum since it's related to Phil.

I wonder if had he gotten a cpu normally meant for servers it would have then been powerful enough to meet his goals, i.e. throw more cores at the problem.  I'm assuming cpu is the first bottleneck.

I also remember the dumb gloating sarcastic 'pc master race' comments, because his PC fell flat on its face when trying to stream and game.  Obviously they don't realise that if a console tried to stream and run a game like the PC was doing it would do far, far worse--it's only because when he streams off of console he's using two machines that it does better.

I wonder if had he gotten a cpu normally meant for servers it would have then been powerful enough to meet his goals, i.e. throw more cores at the problem.  I'm assuming cpu is the first bottleneck.

I also remember the dumb gloating sarcastic 'pc master race' comments, because his PC fell flat on its face when trying to stream and game.  Obviously they don't realise that if a console tried to stream and run a game like the PC was doing it would do far, far worse--it's only because when he streams off of console he's using two machines that it does better.

​His PC has a 4930k. That costed around $500-600, last I checked. I'm baffled that he spent that much for a CPU to begin with.. I would've gotten a 4770k at the time, since it costs a lot less and performs just as great with games and streaming.

​His PC has a 4930k. That costed around $500-600, last I checked. I'm baffled that he spent that much for a CPU to begin with.. I would've gotten a 4770k at the time, since it costs a lot less and performs just as great with games and streaming.

​So you're saying the cpu isn't a bottleneck?

​So you're saying the cpu isn't a bottleneck?

​Less of a bottleneck and more of a waste of money to Phil. It has a lot of technical details that wouldn't matter to him in the slightest.

​Less of a bottleneck and more of a waste of money to Phil. It has a lot of technical details that wouldn't matter to him in the slightest.

​No, I mean you're saying that the extra 2 cores that the 4930k has over the 4770k would be of no benefit to streaming + gaming concurrently, even though a lot of games already make use of 4 cores if available.  That could only be true if maxing out the cpu wasn't the reason for the low framerate when attempting to stream.

He fucked up bad buying that PC. He didn't overpay much for it at the time he bought it, like some trolls and haters like to say. However... I could still type up a list of things he did wrong, as could anyone that knows about PC hardware, and pays attention to the market, but I just don't care anymore. :tongue:

He fucked up bad buying that PC. He didn't overpay much for it at the time he bought it, like some trolls and haters like to say. However... I could still type up a list of things he did wrong, as could anyone that knows about PC hardware, and pays attention to the market, but I just don't care anymore. :tongue:

​$3000?  I'd say he did.  Could probably build the machine for $1500 if you bought the parts yourself, so that's $1500 for labour.

Is there a link to where Phil officially states the specs of the machine?  I've heard inconsistent reports from youtube comments, like whether he has one graphics card or two for example.

​$3000?  I'd say he did.  Could probably build the machine for $1500 if you bought the parts yourself, so that's $1500 for labour.

Is there a link to where Phil officially states the specs of the machine?  I've heard inconsistent reports from youtube comments, like whether he has one graphics card or two for example.

​I checked the individual pricing of all the hardware he bought back then, and he didn't overpay much for it. People who are saying so probably checked it months after he purchased it, in which case it's already too late to compare pricing, because some of it had dropped by then. That's one of the mistakes he made, buying it too close to when new hardware was released.

From what phil has said apparently his pc is not strong enough to stream or record well playing games on the pc thats why he playing all the games on ps4.  

I have a suggestion for Phil that might improve his pc playthroughs. Down below is a thread from Reddit I saw. If any one can show this to Phil please do so. I got the post from mustangwolf1997.

"...By eliminating lag using the affinity method (limiting cores) 

If you have an awesome graphics card, lots of RAM, and a good (multi core) processor, but you're still getting lag when you move or look around in games, check your task manager.

If you've got a lot of processes running, this method is for you. 

Start your game and immediately alt-tab out to the desktop, this way the game is still running. Skip this step if you're running a dual monitor.

Hit Ctrl-Shift-Escape to open the task manager without opening the menu screen with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Find your game process, and click "Set Affinity". When in the menu, you'll see a list of all your cores. For example, if you have a quad core like me, you'll see "CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3."

Uncheck CPU 3 and hit ok, then tab back into your game.

This will make it so only three processors are running the game, while the fourth has been allocated as to take care of all side processes. This method is HIGHLY suggested for recording footage with a program instead of a capture card.

Downside, you'll have to alt-tab and set the affinity every time you start the game."

Downside, you'll have to alt-tab and set the affinity every time you start the game."

​I think there are apps that fix that issue, so it automatically sets the cores upon launching.

Also the advice you described applies to quad core--for hex I'd recommend 4 cores for the game and 2 for the streaming in most cases, although it depends on the game (older games use one or two, a few newer ones might even use more than 4 if available).

(loveseat)

not necessarily, there are very comfortable chairs, DXRacer brand or ones similar to that since thats pricey, for those who primarily use PC to play 

Also IIRC he got his cyberpowerpc cuz 1) his old PC was outdated 2) he did want to play more PC games, just when streaming in 60fps and playing synchronously didn't work out as he planned he just pretty much gave up on pc games except for the less graphical games like Telltale games, and i forget what his CPU was exactly but I think his speed and cores were too slow to do what he wanted which i doubt he ever researched what other streamers use to play and stream @ same time, some streamers even list their specs below their stream , and few have cyberpowerpc and do both so poor research is my guess 

Unless he binned his old PC he has a 2nd PC sat there that would make a half decent streaming box and take the load of his lem...... current PC

​He said he was going to try a dual-PC setup before Witcher 3 comes out, I think.

Just my opinion, but I think he's losing some easy views by not getting into PC gaming. Steam is a huge gaming distribution service and there's new games released almost daily. He could very easily do preview videos for new steam games or indie titles everyday and it would only help his channel.

• Upvote 3