The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LastRambo341

What is wrong with "rage quitting"?

It's a crime to quit a game in 2018 apparently. No one has lived to tell the tale only Phil! That's why he gets so much salt from the usual teenage misfits about it. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy

Only time I had an issue with Phil ragequitting a game was Persona 3 and that's because it was a Patron's choice playthrough, if it's a regular playthrough then Phil can ragequit all he likes, I will just watch the rest on another let's player channel, I know some will say Phil didn't promise to finish Persona 3, but he only had the final boss to beat, when you reach that point, you may as well finish the game, good news is that Phil will finish this at a later date.

Rage quitting donated games or games that the people funded for a streamer to play is a problem. Rage quitting games that the streamer paid for isn't a big deal as long as a full playthrough wasn't promised, but I could see why a viewer would get upset if the streamer all of a sudden quit a game they've invested time to watching. 

It also depends on how the game is quit. If the game is dropped because not enough money is being made, that's sort of greedy but I get it. Quit out of boredom is understandable. All depends how respectable the streamer is to their audience. 

Edited by InTheFeeling

Just now, InTheFeeling said:

Rage quitting donated games or games that the people funded for a streamer to play is a problem. Rage quitting games that the streamer paid for a big deal as long as a full playthroughs wasn't promised, but I could see why a viewer would get upset if the streamer all of a sudden quit a game they've invested time to watching. 

It also depends on how the game is quit. If the game is dropped because not enough money is being made, that's sort of greedy but I get it. Quit out of boredom is understandable. All depends how respectable the streamer is to their audience. 

This is the nature of a playthrough though. If it's a paid one I get the issue but generally we shouldn't be so sensitive to get angry if he decides to not play anymore. 

At least with P3 he got to the end so basically finished the game so it's OK. 

14 minutes ago, InTheFeeling said:

Rage quitting donated games or games that the people funded for a streamer to play is a problem.

If Phil is upfront with the people who donate games, that he isn't guaranteeing that he'll finish the game, then I don't see the problem, which as far as I know with SOME donated games he has done, don't know about the very early games Phil received though.

59 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

No that wasn't okay. Thats like saying I went through a college course but didn't pass the final exam so I basically graduated so its OK. You don't string along your fans for months only to get to the final boss and not beat him. I wasn't invested in Persona 3, but if I was I'd be pissed. 

38 minutes ago, WOOF said:

If Phil is upfront with the people who donate games, that he isn't guaranteeing that he'll finish the game, then I don't see the problem, which as far as I know with SOME donated games he has done, don't know about the very early games Phil received though.

I don't know as of recent because I don't watch his content as much anymore but I've heard some rumblings. I'll never get throwing money away to Phil for 1 or 2 streams of your favorite game only to never be played again when you can just play it yourself, but hey its not my job to tell people what they should and shouldn't do with their money. 

Ragequitting shows that 

1. You have little control over ur emotions

2. U are bad at coping with situations when things doesnt go ur way

3. U have no sportsmanship (for competitive game)

4. U are a quitter

All these are negative traits that make u a less likable person. In few situations it may be acceptable and even funny. But when it happen repeatedly its just not good.

36 minutes ago, InTheFeeling said:

No that wasn't okay. Thats like saying I went through a college course but didn't pass the final exam so I basically graduated so its OK.

Man your comparisons suck. A college course is the same as playing a video game? :laugh: Mate...

4 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

People have been using this critism against many people, but I see nothing wrong with it. Discuss. 

People have a problem with it because they paid for it, i.e. Persona. 

1 hour ago, ThatDogGuy said:

I'm going to run the 100 meters, and quit when I get to 90. I still get a medal and a check right? lmao

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cappuccino said:

Ragequitting shows that 

1. You have little control over ur emotions

2. U are bad at coping with situations when things doesnt go ur way

3. U have no sportsmanship (for competitive game)

4. U are a quitter

All these are negative traits that make u a less likable person. In few situations it may be acceptable and even funny. But when it happen repeatedly its just not good.

It is just a videogame 

8 minutes ago, FloydMayweather said:

People have a problem with it because they paid for it, i.e. Persona.

Even though Phil did not guarantee it to be a full playthrough from the very beginning?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

At least with P3 he got to the end so basically finished the game

This isn't how completing/finishing something works. Ever. He didn't beat Persona 3 and he didn't beat Secret of Mana. And it is debatable if he finished Middle-earth: Shadow of War.

34 minutes ago, LastRambo341 said:

Even though Phil did not guarantee it to be a full playthrough from the very beginning? 

Yes, even though Phil did not guarantee Persona 3 to be a full playthrough from the very beginning, people have a problem with it because they paid for it. This is evidenced by people still clamoring for Persona 3 and wanting it to be played. There were plenty of people who had a problem with is being stopped due to the contributions they made.

39 minutes ago, LastRambo341 said:

It is just a videogame 

Correct. Phil has however made his career out of playing video games and the audience becomes irritated when they see him quitting games before their completion. And it is not limited to rage quits.

1 hour ago, Cappuccino said:

This is the crux of the issue. People don't realize that there are clearly people who take issue with it happening at all, not to mention it happening on more than one occasion. For many people there is nothing wrong with it, others have issue with YouTubers/Twitch streamers quitting something they want to see finished, and others just have a problem with someone getting so ridiculously mad that they do something tantamount to taking their ball and going home. Its just how it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatDogGuy said:

Man your comparisons suck. A college course is the same as playing a video game? :laugh: Mate...

Man your comprehension sucks. Wasn't comparing video games to a college course, I was comparing the arrogance in your philosophy of completing something. :laugh: 

1 hour ago, LastRambo341 said:

Semantics? Really? Listen if you string me along for a playthrough for several months don't blue ball me at the very end and say there was "no garruntee of me finishing" when we all know you intended to beat it, just the boss was kicking your ass. Like I said I wasn't invested in the playthrough, but it sure put a black mark on the rest of his playthroughs from then on. All his fans that get offended by such things as rage-quitting and incomplete playthroughs now in the back of their minds have to wonder if he will finish a playthrough, paid or unpaid, and is it worth their time to even watch. 

Edited by InTheFeeling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, InTheFeeling said:

Man your comprehension sucks. Wasn't comparing video games to a college course 

You were and you got caught out. Think next time maybe? :laugh:

Anyway, I'm sure most of the scrutiny over the "oh he didn't finish so it doesn't count" is just sour apples. As we already said, it's a video game. 

Edited by ThatDogGuy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

You were and you got caught out. Think next time maybe? :laugh:

As we already said, it's a video game. 

You were called out for your arrogance. Everyone else understood what I was saying and everyone here disagrees with you. Think next time maybe? :laugh: Or better yet, don't say anything at all because you've literally contributed nothing intelligent. :tongue: Don't bother replying, if you've read this far, I've already won. :laugh:

Sorry for derailing, I just love when someone tells me what I meant by my own analogy because it makes them feel less like an idiot. 

Edited by InTheFeeling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, InTheFeeling said:

You were called out for your arrogance. Everyone else understood what I was saying and everyone here disagrees with you. Think next time maybe? :laugh: Or better yet, don't say anything at all because you've literally contributed nothing intelligent. :tongue: Don't bother replying, if you've read this far, I've already won. :laugh:

Sorry for derailing, I just love when someone tells me what I meant by my own analogy because it makes them feel less like an idiot. 

You are the same guy who got banned last week... quite obvious.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

You are the same guy who got banned last week... quite obvious.  

Never made an account here ever. Reported. 

Guys just ignore and move on from this guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InTheFeeling said:

I'll never get throwing money away to Phil for 1 or 2 streams of your favorite game only to never be played again when you can just play it yourself,

I don't either, I thought about donating my old copy of Silent Hill SM for Patron's choice, then I saw copies of the game selling for at least a 100 quid and I said myself stuff that, in any case Phil didn't have the set-up to play the game at that time.

• Upvote 1

Is it really that hard to understand that some people just find raging annoying or that we like to see Phil finish the playthroughs he starts?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

It is just a videogame 

Rambo, woof and Dog talking sense in this thread. And the P3 charm rage thing was a really bad design flaw that ruined the playthrough so not Phil's issue.

P.s Also try to ignore the trolls trying to stir, they'll be gone soon. 

Edited by Amityville

19 minutes ago, Amityville said:

And the P3 charm rage thing was a really bad design flaw that ruined the playthrough so not Phil's 

Not bad game design if the game was on easy and there are ways to combat such things. 

No it was a bad design. Being charmed and forced to full heal makes sense for a standard enemy but not for a boss that has 10 times your max health. That being said I don't think he should have dropped the whole playthrough but instead came back to it another day.

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

No it was a bad design. Being charmed and forced to full heal makes sense for a standard enemy but not for a boss that has 10 times your max health. That being said I don't think he should have dropped the whole playthrough but instead came back to it another day.

Its a design you don't like but it isn't bad. Persona games and apparently SMT games as well don't really hesitate as much as other games to punish a player making bad decisions. Whether the decision is your choice of party members or doing a bad move during the battle. JRPGs aren't exactly known to be devoid of strategy. So if you see something doesn't work then think of a different approach.

Having charm affect the player to do different things based on the opponent HP would be really stupid. And 10 times max health means nothing due to how the scale of JRPG games work. Final bosses shouldn't roll over and just let a player walk their way through a game. The only challenge to that boss was that it could charm you and that is pretty easily taken care of. As it is now, he is lucky Persona 5 is so much more lenient.

Edited by Another_Derich

1 hour ago, Another_Derich said:

Its a design you don't like but it isn't bad. Persona games and apparently SMT games as well don't really hesitate as much as other games to punish a player making bad decisions. Whether the decision is your choice of party members or doing a bad move during the battle. JRPGs aren't exactly known to be devoid of strategy. So if you see something doesn't work then think of a different approach.

Having charm affect the player to do different things based on the opponent HP would be really stupid. And 10 times max health means nothing due to how the scale of JRPG games work. Final bosses shouldn't roll over and just let a player walk their way through a game. The only challenge to that boss was that it could charm you and that is pretty easily taken care of. As it is now, he is lucky Persona 5 is so much more lenient.

You won't convince anyone that boss wasn't downright stupid and required Phil to replay hours upon hours of gameplay. Now if you're streaming in front of a live audience, who would want to see that? That would not only turn the audience off, but would waste valuable stream time that could be dedicated to something else. You have to understand this.

3 hours ago, Another_Derich said:

Give me a break. That boss takes an hour to beat only to reset. That's not challenge. That's broken garbage. At the very least only have it work once.