The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LastRambo341

What is wrong with "rage quitting"?

I don't really think there's anything wrong with rage quitting (of course not in excess), with a few conditions. Usually if Phil does ragequit, it's either an ongoing thing like a fighting game and he obviously returns to it, or it's a series and like 90% of the time when he does ragequit he returns to it later! Sometimes you need a break from a game and that's understandable.

The only kinds of situations I have a problem with are like maybe with Persona 3. I really like that game, and I totally get that the final boss is bullshit and believe me I've ragequit at that point before. What bothered me was how long he dropped it for, that's not just ragequitting that's quitting it altogether and a lot of people, including me, were invested in seeing Phil beat it.

I think it's mainly an issue as the same as when a streamer is just being rude in general. Raging and shit is fine if you're an edgelord like Phil used to be in the early days of youtube, but he seems more interested in transitioning to just having fun and being positive the last few years in the face of the negativity. It's just an expectation thing I guess? Idk it just makes me want to change the channel when the streamer gets super sullen and just ditches stuff.

So I just searched DSP rage quit on youtube to see if theres some I dont remember, a lot of the detractor compilations are just whatever who cares situations, but ones like Dishonored's expansion and Shadow of war is kinda just... eghhh. Getting back to what I mentioned above. The rage quits just seem to be married with him complaining about the games design when hes either doing stuff wrong (Dishonored Death of the outsider) or are in stark contradiction to what he said before (shadow of war). I think the microtransactions stuff for shadow of war was gross, but given how much he said anyone who thought that opinion was a brainwashed shill who listened to games media too much. It just felt kind of rude when he said it at the time then did a 180 once he reached that part, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth :|

I guess the one case its really a big deal in my opinion is for example Fortnite. You could argue if its a rage quit but it always kinda disappoints me when Phil has to quit a game and then insult a lot of the people who play it, saying people only like Fortnite because it's free. I mean, maybe that's true? But he can just quit the game and say "eh its not for me" or "e its frustrating dunno why whatever", no one would care if he said either besides the detractors and phil doesnt seem to care what they jerk off to anyway.

So its less the rage quit and more the preceding or subsequent moments that make me disappointed a lot of the time tbh. Also when he quits a game he doesnt switch games I thought? He just ends the stream? Always struck me as weird tbh but maybe thats not true anymore, I dont know of any recent rage quits beyond Persona 3 which everyone is talking about and that one, even if you didnt care, was a little amusing that he just streamed someone else's youtube video of the ending in order to show off the ending. was kinda ridiculous LMAO

It depends on what you call "rage quitting." Rage quitting used to be defined as quitting an online game (usually fighting games or PVP) in mid match to avoid a recording a loss, ranking points, lose loot, or you just didn't want the other guy or team to log a win.

The definition only broadened with the advent of YouTube and Twitch started using the term with single player games. That's why Phil used to always deny rage quitting (which for the most part, he was right) as he always finished PVP matches.

Sure, I can see the definition shift makes it weird. I think OP was meaning the former definition.

Also even if Phil doesn't DC from a fighting game match, him just standing and doing nothing waiting for his opponent to kill him I would argue is also a rage quit, and I definitely remember at least one time he's done that (Injustice).

Tbh the detractors use it as a criticsm to a large degree because Phil makes it obvious that the critique gets under his skin.

Edited by evokalewatat

23 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Sorry to say this, but that just mean ur an asshole. And god save ur consoles/equipments if u get physical while hoping u will never attend in any kind of public competition ever.

Well, nothing wrong with being an a**hole :D and I take good care of my technology 

22 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Wow. Aren't you just a charming person.

I know I am :P

It is silly that the entire topic has been devoted to me instead of the subject at hand 

1 hour ago, evokalewatat said:

Sure, I can see the definition shift makes it weird. I think OP was meaning the former definition.

Also even if Phil doesn't DC from a fighting game match, him just standing and doing nothing waiting for his opponent to kill him I would argue is also a rage quit, and I definitely remember at least one time he's done that (Injustice).

Tbh the detractors use it as a criticsm to a large degree because Phil makes it obvious that the critique gets under his skin.

No, it is defined as quitting a game (single player or multiplayer) due to frustration. We all feel that, but it gets hypocritical when people criticise others of doing so 

• Like 1

I feel people criticize Phil for rage quitting when he stops playing a game entirely, or functionally stops and only resurrects the game with a brand new playthrough after several months (Bloodborne, which I distinctly remember him telling people for months that there would be no redemption run after people asked once he did Dark Souls 1). Sometimes the actions he does leading up to it don't make it look very good. If a game is boring to him and he quits it so be it but when he's making his streams about positivity and having fun, it's just kinda gross when he gets mad at a game due to his own preconceptions about the people who play it (Fortnite) or because the game isn't letting him brute force through it using a method that the game strongly discourages (just murdering everyone in Death of the Outsider, an expansion made for people who play the Dishonored games with stealth).

Let me take an example Phil himself publicly admits to as a moment of weakness: disconnecting his ethernet cord in Demon Souls because he was mad the dude "cheated." I wasn't watching his streams at the time but that shit is infamous. Just imagine how shitty as a viewer it is to see your streamer just give up and abandon something because it's hard :|

The streamer Destiny put it best one time, not sure where the clip is, "if you're in a bad mood, it might be better to just not stream because if people sense you're just super negative you'll lose subscribers and viewers." If Phil was still like 2013 Phil and his mantra was raging and being an edgelord badass it's pointless to criticize him for rage quitting because that's what you sign up for coming to the stream. When the streamer is about being positive and having fun then just abandons games because they get mildly annoyed its just not fun to watch :(

If you're speaking to anyone else being criticized for it please give an example and we can discuss I guess. Your original post seemed to be about "everyone" but given the forums I figured it was in the context of people criticizing Phil tbh.