The King of Hate Forums

What is wrong with "rage quitting"?

On 8/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, InTheFeeling said:

Semantics? Really? Listen if you string me along for a playthrough for several months don't blue ball me at the very end and say there was "no garruntee of me finishing" when we all know you intended to beat it, just the boss was kicking your ass. Like I said I wasn't invested in the playthrough, but it sure put a black mark on the rest of his playthroughs from then on. All his fans that get offended by such things as rage-quitting and incomplete playthroughs now in the back of their minds have to wonder if he will finish a playthrough, paid or unpaid, and is it worth their time to even watch. 

He said it from the very beginning so you cannot complain. Also who on Earth would be "offended"? 

"Waaah! You offended me becuase you got angry at my favourite game :( waaa!"

Haha

On 8/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, Another_Derich said:

Yes, even though Phil did not guarantee Persona 3 to be a full playthrough from the very beginning, people have a problem with it because they paid for it. This is evidenced by people still clamoring for Persona 3 and wanting it to be played. There were plenty of people who had a problem with is being stopped due to the contributions they made.

Correct. Phil has however made his career out of playing video games and the audience becomes irritated when they see him quitting games before their completion. And it is not limited to rage quits.

So before I gave you a money, you told me that you cannot guarantee finishing it, but I still complain XD that shows that you have purchasing problems. 

Yes it is his career but being irritated over such mundane little things shows how they cannot be taken seriously. What is next? Phil is not allowed to wear a grey T-shirt becuase some may feel offended by it?

On 8/8/2018 at 2:26 AM, InTheFeeling said:

Okay have you played Persona 3? Have you fought the final boss? Or are you one of these "gamers" out here who majority just watch other people play and base your opinions on watching other people play the games you are criticizing? I have played the game and beaten that boss. I know exactly why that happened to Phil. That's why I wasn't interested in watching a playthroughs of it because I already had the best expierence of playing it myself. So please tell me have you played the game? 

Well you are either lying or are just hardcore apologist 

• Like 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You heard it here first folks. If you laugh at someone you must be a duplicate account!

You haven't played the game, you hate JRPGs, so your opinion is irrelevant. Only reason you said that was because Phil said so. Not because you are able to develop your own opinion. If you want to be

Man your comprehension sucks. Wasn't comparing video games to a college course, I was comparing the arrogance in your philosophy of completing something.   Semantics? Really? Listen if you stri

6 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

So before I gave you a money, you told me that you cannot guarantee finishing it, but I still complain XD that shows that you have purchasing problems. 

Yes it is his career but being irritated over such mundane little things shows how they cannot be taken seriously.

Whether people want to accept it or not, what I posted is pretty much the what people find "wrong" about "rage quitting." I agree with you that those people have "purchasing problems." Paying to watch someone go through your video game doesn't make too much sense; especially if you are aware they will insult it, may not like it, disparage it, and/or cancel it. Its very obvious were unhappy that he stopped at the final boss because it showed he had intent to finish the game to go that far and people saw the "no guarantee to finish" as an excuse to back out of it. If people didn't have an issue with it, Phil wouldn't be returning to the game to try and complete it and get rid of that discourse about him not finishing the game (as he has mentioned).

"Mundane little things" is definitely subjective here because there were so many people who got mad. I think everyone in this thread can acknowledge that. And hopefully for Phil, he is at the point where he takes his audiences reactions seriously unlike what you are suggesting. Long time regulars, subs, and patrons still talk about that game and people still bring up his quitting so its silly not to take it seriously.

6 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

What is next? Phil is not allowed to wear a grey T-shirt becuase some may feel offended by it? 

Even though you are trying to highlight what you feel is a ridiculous situation, using an intentional "slippery slope" argument that doesn't even follow behind what is being discussed really undercuts what you are saying.

It doesn't matter to me, but I've seen people on Twitch start watching Phil at the beginning of a playthrough, sub to the channel, start supporting Phil with bit cheers, but then when he quits the game towards the end, they leave the channel completely.

This happened with Secret of Mana, I really liked that guy too, but when he saw Phil was giving up at the very end, he left forever. Now, even if Phil goes back and finishes now, that viewer is still gone forever. It makes sense. Imagine watching that playthrough on Youtube, then he gets to the very end and gives up forever. Why continue/start watching any of his playthroughs?

And you should especially never quit in the  middle of an online MP match if you can help it. That's common knowledge.

7 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

Well in most competitive games there are casual and ranked multiplayer modes i.e. Rainbow 6 or Gears 4, rage quitting in ranked is very looked down upon... shows a lot of weakness IMO.

Weakness? It is just videogames 

4 hours ago, thatanonymouse said:

This happened with Secret of Mana, I really liked that guy too, but when he saw Phil was giving up at the very end, he left forever. Now, even if Phil goes back and finishes now, that viewer is still gone forever. It makes sense. Imagine watching that playthrough on Youtube, then he gets to the very end and gives up forever. Why continue/start watching any of his playthroughs?

That is incredibly dumb. Not all playthroughs are the same or have the same fate. People quit due to frustration or lack of interest

2 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Sorry to say this, but that just mean ur an asshole. And god save ur consoles/equipments if u get physical while hoping u will never attend in any kind of public competition ever.

No one has the right to damage your belongings under circumstances regarding a video game. Lol. Also, no need to throw insults.

Edited by Amityville
33 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

The point is if you act like an ass to people IRL you get what's coming to you.

Wouldn't know, besides if someone has to leave a multiplayer match, to answer an important phone call, or something to that effect - this is far more polite than staying afk. At least it allows another player to take the slot.

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

Well, if anyone damaged his machine he has right to involve the police which might result in a hefty fine or criminal record, so I guess you're right.

Im implying that he himself damaging his own consoles, just like what most ragequiters do. Thats what i mean getting physical ie phil smashing his controller on his desk. NOT some random dude breaking into his house and smash it.

/facepalm

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Cappuccino said:

Im implying that he himself damaging his own consoles, just like what most ragequiters do. Thats what i mean getting physical ie phil smashing his controller on his desk. NOT some random dude breaking into his house and smash it.

/facepalm

You mentioned joining public competitions though so you have eluded to it being related to at a LAN party or otherwise where other people will be. :smile:

15 minutes ago, Amityville said:

You mentioned joining public competitions though so you have eluded to it being related to at a LAN party or otherwise where other people will be. :smile:

I did specified it being “you” and not he/she or they. But i guess thats the risk for being ragequitter in public as well huh. Sure u can sue them or call police on them. But how about not getting in trouble in the first place?

5 hours ago, Amityville said:

Wouldn't know, besides if someone has to leave a multiplayer match, to answer an important phone call, or something to that effect - this is far more polite than staying afk. At least it allows another player to take the slot.

But that's not what were talking about. We're talking about rage quitting. It's unfair to the other players. Plus not every game has auto join.

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

But that's not what were talking about. We're talking about rage quitting. It's unfair to the other players. Plus not every game has auto join.

No the direct quote was "if you quit". Yes the topic is about rage quitting. The direct quote was about just quitting. Be more specific with the direct quote than those responding to it.

Edit: it was actually you who made it lol

Edited by Amityville

I don't really think there's anything wrong with rage quitting (of course not in excess), with a few conditions. Usually if Phil does ragequit, it's either an ongoing thing like a fighting game and he obviously returns to it, or it's a series and like 90% of the time when he does ragequit he returns to it later! Sometimes you need a break from a game and that's understandable.

The only kinds of situations I have a problem with are like maybe with Persona 3. I really like that game, and I totally get that the final boss is bullshit and believe me I've ragequit at that point before. What bothered me was how long he dropped it for, that's not just ragequitting that's quitting it altogether and a lot of people, including me, were invested in seeing Phil beat it.