The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 73: Nov. 22, 2018 Thanksgiving Special!

Hello everyone! Please post up your questions for Ask the King here! The show will be LIVE on Thanksgiving, November 22, 2018!

With Smash bros ultimate around the corner, I wanted to ask some smash related questions. 

1. With smash for 3ds/Wii U, you seemed to have quite a bit of fun at first but later seemed like you didn't enjoy it much. Not even coming back to it as a way to play with your fans later as a multiplayer stream. My question is: with the new smash, how do you plan to play the game and do you have any plans to use smash as a game to play during a multiplayer stream or future streams? 

2. With the new smash you can play with all the dlc characters from smash 4. I am curious to see what you think of Ryu, since you can input his original hadoken, dragon punch and other original commands for stronger attacks in the game. Is there any character you are interested in playing in particular? 

Edited by Mikleo

Hello DSP. Few things:

Why do you seem to do everything you can to avoid growing as a gamer? You try to rush through every single game for example. You don't pay attention to pop-up in-game hints and then when you get to a spot and don't know what to do, you insult the game as if it was the game's fault you ignored information.

Then you sloppily speedrun through every game, regardless of the game's genre and the pacing it requires to play it properly. You blame everything on bugs and glitches also.

You never seem to enjoy yourself while playing the games you play and you constantly mock and ridicule the games while you're playing them, calling them "stupid" and "dumb" billions of times, yet when you finish the game and review it you glowingly praise the games 99% of the time.

I get a very strong feeling that you only play these games because "it's your job" and you have to do it to get paid at this point. You just boorishly rush through brilliantly made video games, avoid enemies, spend in-game currency recklessly so you end up stuck at the end of the game with weak armour and/or weak weapons, you rush through everything trying to get to the end so you can cross another "playthrough" off your list and add to your channel. It's craziness.

So essentially I'm wondering: why do you even bother anymore? You play the games stupidly to the point that you constantly look up the guides (defeats the whole purpose of a playthrough), you speed through avoiding all bonus content, enemies and gameplay appreciation, you complain constantly about the camera even though you usually have full control over the camera and can change it when you feel like it. I just don't get how a grown man who gets paid to play video games seems to do very little growing and progressing as a gamer. You still do the exact same stuff that you did in your old 2012 playthroughs.

Why are you still doing this? You're bad, you block people, turn comments off, hide like/dislike ratios, refuse to grow and complain CONSTANTLY.

Edited by Wastelandhammer
Fixed paragraph.
  • Like 1

Why and when did you start using the term 'King of Retro'?

The same question for 'I hate skeletons', but beware that right now you have a skeleton inside of you.

Phil,

If there is one mistake in your life that you made that you would love to go back and fix/amend, what would it be and why?

20 hours ago, Wastelandhammer said:

Hello DSP. Few things:

Why do you seem to do everything you can to avoid growing as a gamer? You try to rush through every single game for example. You don't pay attention to pop-up in-game hints and then when you get to a spot and don't know what to do, you insult the game as if it was the game's fault you ignored information.

Then you sloppily speedrun through every game, regardless of the game's genre and the pacing it requires to play it properly. You blame everything on bugs and glitches also.

You never seem to enjoy yourself while playing the games you play and you constantly mock and ridicule the games while you're playing them, calling them "stupid" and "dumb" billions of times, yet when you finish the game and review it you glowingly praise the games 99% of the time.

I get a very strong feeling that you only play these games because "it's your job" and you have to do it to get paid at this point. You just boorishly rush through brilliantly made video games, avoid enemies, spend in-game currency recklessly so you end up stuck at the end of the game with weak armour and/or weak weapons, you rush through everything trying to get to the end so you can cross another "playthrough" off your list and add to your channel. It's craziness.

So essentially I'm wondering: why do you even bother anymore? You play the games stupidly to the point that you constantly look up the guides (defeats the whole purpose of a playthrough), you speed through avoiding all bonus content, enemies and gameplay appreciation, you complain constantly about the camera even though you usually have full control over the camera and can change it when you feel like it. I just don't get how a grown man who gets paid to play video games seems to do very little growing and progressing as a gamer. You still do the exact same stuff that you did in your old 2012 playthroughs.

Why are you still doing this? You're bad, you block people, turn comments off, hide like/dislike ratios, refuse to grow and complain CONSTANTLY.

And you're an asshole troll.

This guy wants to know why Phil bans so many people.  IDK maybe it is because they're asshole trolls and douchebags who have nothing to do with their lives but harass people.

As for the other shit, just ignore it and move on.  Better yet, get used to it.

Harass people? So reactionary. I was criticizing the man, is he above criticism? I was watching his GTAV playthrough the other day and I spent so much of it yelling at the screen and getting annoyed at how he literally HASN'T LEARNED A SINGLE THING from playing the earlier GTA games. His inability to grow as a gamer is actually so extreme it's interesting to me.

You can't just dismiss all negativity as "trolls, assholes and douchebags" you sycophant. I actually watch this guy's content almost every day, these are my criticisms of him as an observer of many playthroughs.

He blocks people, disables comments and hides like/dislike ratio because he's seemingly extremely insecure and so it's great to come here and see why he hasn't grown or progressed as a content creator, he has ass-kissers like you fighting his battles for him, telling him he's great at what he does, acting like he's above criticism and suggesting bans for anybody and everybody who says anything negative. This is extremely unhealthy and you're an enabler.

I have two questions:

Do you have a favourite book, and/or which one would you recommend?

Will you do another run of the Dark Souls games with a sorcerer build? I know it might be more difficult on some parts, but it's more fun and interesting in my opinion.

Sup Phil! I have 2 interesting questions for you to answer:

1. What do you think of current day WWE product? (Honestly, I find SmackDown LIVE way better than RAW probably because it's a 2 hours show, I also love Mixed Match Challenge and the Mae Young Classic, and also NXT, RAW not so much.)

2. Phil, What is your favourite Horror Movie? I really enjoyed Coraline and Monster House those are my favourites and I just watched ''Insidious: The Last Key'' at school last month in October. 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, Derichloveslemur said:

Hey Phil, Here is the new 2nd Question I had to update it:

2. Phil, What is your favourite Horror Movie? I really enjoyed Coraline and Monster House those are my favourites and Have you also seen Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs in 2009 the 2nd Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs in 2013?. Those movies brings back a ton of memories especially ''Up'' it was a super sad depressing movie.

Edited by Derichloveslemur

On 9/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, Derichloveslemur said:

Sup Phil! I have 2 interesting questions for you to answer:

1. What do you think of current day WWE product? (Honestly, I find SmackDown LIVE way better than RAW probably because it's a 2 hours show, I also love Mixed Match Challenge and the Mae Young Classic, and also NXT, RAW not so much.)

2. Phil, What is your favourite Horror Movie? I really enjoyed Coraline and Monster House those are my favourites and Have you also seen Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs in 2009 the 2nd Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs in 2013?. Those movies brings back a ton of memories especially ''Up'' it was a super sad depressing movie.

Edited by Derichloveslemur

Hey Phil, do you see yourself playing games as much as you do now when you finally call it quits for streaming and YouTube? 

When you play current fighting games I notice that you don't incorporate some of the newer tactics that are effective in today's fighting games such as empty jump low or the forward, back, forward whiff punish at point-blank range commonly referred to as "the shimmy".  Is this because these tactics were not as effective in the older fighting games that you played during your heyday and so they never became part of your toolbox?

With Microsoft buying out studios, do you think that it will ruin their games or actually help the game developers money wise? For example gears of war was a great game franchise but after Microsoft bought the game studio, the games weren't as good.

Dear Phil, What is your take on Video Games as Intellectual property, and about the economic thehinking that game companies (dvelopers and publishers)  emply when deciding hthe process of making games

Many people have been accustomed to seeing games asn anvenue of escape, rather than as actual products that by their nature, are sjust as subject to the laws of the market as anythign else...

A lot of people forger that, and that if studios often make decisions based on the long term viabiilty.

The less than savoury practices. What do you see and what insights do you have about Video games as IPs.

Seeing as you have a long history within the competitive gaming industry, particularly fighting games, have you noticed any differences in how "eSports" are played or viewed now compared to when it started out in arcades during your competitive Street Fighter era?

Hey Phil,

I promise this isn't drama. There's a YouTuber named Shane Dawson who has been doing a YouTube series lately on controversial YouTube content creators. Most recently Jake Paul. He meets the YouTubers at the end of each series and analyzes them throughout its duration. Each series of videos have their own individual goal. It's almost like a documentary and usually does quite well, obtaining 10s of millions of views per part. I think it would be great way for you to clear up any misconceptions about you, learn more about yourself, and gain exposure again.

If Shane came to you and asked if he could do this series on you, would you allow him to?

PS: You should check out the series for yourself as it's quite entertaining and is episodic; feels like a real documentary.