The King of Hate Forums
TubeLube

Whats the point of playing Fallout76?

Its clear as day this game is going to flop. Its already getting really bad press and the people who are playing the beta are not really enjoying it. So why should Phil play it? Is anyone going to watch? Lets be honest, DSP's track record for playing MMO type games isnt good both because of trolls and the people he decides to play with.

Phil says he has a few people to play with, but if its the same old bland AiredLord (nothing against him, I just think his commentary and ability to entertain an audience is non-existent) and skippitybop420 from Twitter that nobody knows, how good is a playthrough of this game going to be? Remember this game has NO NPCs, which means this game will only be as entertaining to an audience depending how well the streamer and players are able to commentate and entertain. If Phil would swallow his pride and find other streamers who are willing to stick their neck out and play with him (*cough* Wings of Redemption *cough*) then maybe the stream could turn out great.. But if Ninja the biggest and most successful streamer in the world, a very popular rapper Logic, and the characters from Rick and Morty couldnt even make it work... I dont have high hopes.

Edited by TubeLube

21 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

Its clear as day this game is going to flop

How so? I must be blind because I can't see it, or how you are arriving to that conclusion. 

22 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

Its already getting really bad press

Read: Zenimax and Bethesda Game Studios aren't paying enough money to journalists to say its good

23 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

why should Phil play it?

Because its a new release and covering big new releases is good at this time of year for the adrevenue on YouTube, its play it now when its relevant or play it later when nobody cares.

24 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

Is anyone going to watch?

Yes. I know I would tune in for it.

24 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

DSP's track record for playing MMO type games isnt good both because of trolls and the people he decides to play with.

This is every gamers experience in MMO's I'm still scarred from EVE :P 

26 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

If Phil would swallow his pride and find other streamers who are willing to stick their neck out and play with him (*cough* Wings of Redemption *cough*)

That would be good yes +1 on collab with wings.

26 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

But if Ninja the biggest and most successful streamer in the world, a very popular rapper Logic, and the characters from Rick and Morty couldnt even make it work... I dont have high hopes.

What are you talking about here?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, masterxeon2002 said:

How so? I must be blind because I can't see it, or how you are arriving to that conclusion. 

Read: Zenimax and Bethesda Game Studios aren't paying enough money to journalists to say its good?

Here we go.... Everybody is saying how not good this game is. Streamers, Beta Players, Major publications. Everbody. During the big Ninja stream the bugs were very apparent and Ninjas game even crashed during the stream. This release is reminding me alot of the Mass Effect Andromeda release, and everybody knows how bad that turned out. You can run with the "Bethesda isnt paying enough to recieve good press for their game" bullshit, but it doesnt go very far when the Youtubers, comments, streamers from big to small, gaming publications... Everybody is saying this game doesnt look good.

Because its a new release and covering big new releases is good at this time of year for the adrevenue on YouTube, its play it now when its relevant or play it later when nobody cares.

How about if nobody cares the day its released? Yeah im sure people will tune in at first to see a new game, but if the commentary isnt that good and once everybody realizes how empty this game really is, the views are going to disappear. Thats why I say Phil should get a couple of expierenced streamers to compliment his commentary style and know how to hold an audience, not just a couple of nobodies that are just happy to be on stream with a known guy.

Im saying if these huge successful entities didnt have success with making the game interesting, i dont have high hopes for Phil and whoever the other people are to be compeling. Granted Ninja, Rick and Morty, and Logic on top of the game problems and stream problems didnt have much chemistry, but a true Fallout game can hold an audience on its own.. Not this one. Its totally reliant on the streamer to make the game interesting for an audience. Im sorry, but whole bunch of "Look At That!!" and "Woooow you guys see that?!?" style commentary is going to run dry rather quickly with this game.

Thats why I think Phil and Wings co-op would be great because both came up from playing Fallout and both are big fans of the series. That would be interesting to watch and listen too, anything other is just a waste of time in my eyes.

Edited by TubeLube

I'd definitely not say it's true that people who are playing the beta aren't enjoying it. Many, myself included, are loving it. I went into this VERY skeptical and have been pleasantly surprised. 

Trolling probably won't be a huge issue. Unless they change it, you can't pick a server.  The only way to swap servers that I'm aware of is to either log out and back in to get another random server or to hop to a friend/team's server.  Especially on launch day, it'd take a fair amount of luck to get trolls onto the same server, barring doing something boneheaded like adding a troll to the friend's list. Their may be another way but I'm unaware of it. He does need to make sure that his teammates know to not accept friend requests from people they don't know.

Most/all of the security issues have turned out to be bunk, so I don't think there's much to worry about there. 

That all said, this isn't a game for DSP, IMO. To put it bluntly, he really does better if the game very clearly tells him what to do. There is a main quest chain and side quests of course but honestly those are one of the weaker elements. I feel this game is going to shine if you have friends that you'll have fun exploring random places with, killing loads of super mutants/ghouls/etc and building bases. If you're a primarily solo player who has little/no interest in base building I don't think you'll enjoy Fallout 76. If you go in trying to play this like it's Fallout 5 you're going to have a bad time.

TBH I think him playing this game will lead to a "This game SUCKS!!! The only people who like it are the ones who bought into the hype from media and Twitch shills!!!" rant. Hopefully he'll like it but I really don't think this a game he'll enjoy.  

16 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

That all said, this isn't a game for DSP, IMO. To put it bluntly, he really does better if the game very clearly tells him what to do. There is a main quest chain and side quests of course but honestly those are one of the weaker elements. I feel this game is going to shine if you have friends that you'll have fun exploring random places with, killing loads of super mutants/ghouls/etc and building bases. If you're a primarily solo player who has little/no interest in base building I don't think you'll enjoy Fallout 76. If you go in trying to play this like it's Fallout 5 you're going to have a bad time.

TBH I think him playing this game will lead to a "This game SUCKS!!! The only people who like it are the ones who bought into the hype from media and Twitch shills!!!" rant. Hopefully he'll like it but I really don't think this a game he'll enjoy.  

Even though I disagree about people "loving" this game and not see how many people are disappointed with this game, I 100% agree with your last paragraphs. Everytime I think about DSP in an open world game that doesnt have a clear narrative, I think about his Minecraft "playthrough". He's just not well suited to play those types of games where you explore, create, and discover.

Fallout76 just comes off not only to me but many people like it doesnt know what it wants to be, and usually those games flop. 

Edited by TubeLube

Playing Fallout 76 is certainly doable. I've seen one youtuber kill Super Mutants above his level solo by using molotov cocktails and  grenades. If Phil can equip the lone wanderer card it'll be even easier.

18 hours ago, masterxeon2002 said:

Read: Zenimax and Bethesda Game Studios aren't paying enough money to journalists to say its good

Yes. I know I would tune in for it.

This is every gamers experience in MMO's I'm still scarred from EVE :P 

That would be good yes +1 on collab with wings.

Agree 100%. Have to laugh at those saying Fallout is poor when you have COD and Battlefield with their annual updates, given millions to promote the crap out of their subpar gameplay franchise.

6 hours ago, Amityville said:

Fallout is one of the best franchises. You gotta buy it.

And this is why developers like EA can make a trash sequel with barely any innovation from the last release because they can count on gamers like you who "gotta buy it".

Theres a big problem when gamers/streamers like Phil who came up and make a living from playing big games like Fallout have to ask their audience is it even worth buying Bethesda's new abomin... iteration.

29 minutes ago, Cappuccino said:

Lets be honest, phil buys worse games than this and finished them. If hes a fan of fallout series im sure he can find something to like it enough to play it.

He also bought better games and never finished them so I dont know what that has to do with anything. It was said earlier, without a hard main quest line its going to get very boring for him. I already see it.

Edited by TubeLube

2 hours ago, TubeLube said:

And this is why developers like EA can make a trash sequel with barely any innovation from the last release because they can count on gamers like you who "gotta buy it".

Theres a big problem when gamers/streamers like Phil who came up and make a living from playing big games like Fallout have to ask their audience is it even worth buying Bethesda's new abomin... iteration.

He also bought better games and never finished them so I dont know what that has to do with anything. It was said earlier, without a hard main quest line its going to get very boring for him. I already see it.

First off, f76 isn't a sequel.

Ehh. I wouldn't say that Fallout games are poor per say, but internal consistency is all over the place in the franchise. Like Super Mutants can be created by a river with FEV in it now, even though the whole creation of Super Mutants required specific conditions in previous installments. 

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

First off, f76 isn't a sequel.

....what? Never said it was. I was talking about how your ideology is what intices developers to make anything because gamers like you "gotta buy it".  Phil just announced hes skipping Fallout 76 so are you going to tell him he's "gotta buy it"?

1 hour ago, TubeLube said:

....what? Never said it was. I was talking about how your ideology is what intices developers to make anything because gamers like you "gotta buy it".  Phil just announced hes skipping Fallout 76 so are you going to tell him he's "gotta buy it"?

You definitely said it was poor sequels that devs churn out. If you cant remember what you wrote then...

Plus because its not suitable for a stream doesn't mean he shouldn't buy for himself. 76 is quality. :smile:

Edited by Amityville

2 minutes ago, Amityville said:

You definitely said it was poor sequels that devs churn out. If you cant remember what you wrote why am I wasting time talking with you...

Plus because its not suitable for a stream doesn't mean he shouldn't buy for himself. 76 is quality.

I think you're confused. You said I said Fallout 76 is a sequel, i didnt say that. I said people like you are the reason devs churn out shitty sequels. Fallout 76 isnt a sequal nor do I think Fallout 76 is a complete shit game, i think its a significant downgrade from its predecessors. But hey if you cant understand what im saying maybe you are wasting your time.

Do you watch Phil? He doesnt have time to play a game by himself without streaming it. His main gripe is paying $60 to play a dud game, so why would he buy the game to play for himself and not take the opportunity to recoup the money he doesnt want to spend? 

I dont think you even watch Phil bro.. You should of watched the prestream today, he and I agree the game isnt going to play or do well.

9 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

I think you're confused. You said I said Fallout 76 is a sequel, i didnt say that. I said people like you are the reason devs churn out shitty sequels. Fallout 76 isnt a sequal nor do I think Fallout 76 is a complete shit game, i think its a significant downgrade from its predecessors. But hey if you cant understand what im saying maybe you are wasting your time.

Do you watch Phil? He doesnt have time to play a game by himself without streaming it. His main gripe is paying $60 to play a dud game, so why would he buy the game to play for himself and not take the opportunity to recoup the money he doesnt want to spend? 

I dont think you even watch Phil bro.. You should of watched the prestream today, he and I agree the game isnt going to play or do well.

Oh I heard his comments about the trolls and I agree with him. This game is made for the mentally ill sociapathic bullies to stalk him. However I love Fallout hence my comment "you gotta buy it", was not exclusive to Phil. I'm gonna have me some fun and there's nothing thats gonna stop me. :tongue:

On 11/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, VertigoTeaparty said:

I'd definitely not say it's true that people who are playing the beta aren't enjoying it. Many, myself included, are loving it. I went into this VERY skeptical and have been pleasantly surprised. 

Trolling probably won't be a huge issue. Unless they change it, you can't pick a server.  The only way to swap servers that I'm aware of is to either log out and back in to get another random server or to hop to a friend/team's server.  Especially on launch day, it'd take a fair amount of luck to get trolls onto the same server, barring doing something boneheaded like adding a troll to the friend's list. Their may be another way but I'm unaware of it. He does need to make sure that his teammates know to not accept friend requests from people they don't know.

Most/all of the security issues have turned out to be bunk, so I don't think there's much to worry about there. 

I agree, some of his regulars ''Kekon'' and ''Popsicolo'' have already been playing the game for a while so im sure they can help him. There is a 0% change he'll get trolled.

The idea of 76 is fresh but I have to be skeptical. There's no way you can get random players work together in game where you can do anything you want. And even if you the people you run into team up what is the point? With no NCPs or story you're just fighting mutants and trading. Wash, rinse, repeat. It isn't going to work. I'd rather have a game like Watch Dogs where it's a single player story but someone else can invade your game.

4 hours ago, Amityville said:

Plus because its not suitable for a stream doesn't mean he shouldn't buy for himself. 76 is quality. :smile:

Have you met Phil? He doesn't play games off stream.

47 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

The idea of 76 is fresh but I have to be skeptical. There's no way you can get random players work together in game where you can do anything you want. And even if you the people you run into team up what is the point? With no NCPs or story you're just fighting mutants and trading. Wash, rinse, repeat. It isn't going to work. I'd rather have a game like Watch Dogs where it's a single player story but someone else can invade your game.

Have you met Phil? He doesn't play games off stream.

I understand what you are saying, but to some people the gameplay loop will be the "catch" of the game. As for the randoms. In my experience, some people will help you during an event, but they will not join your party. In addition, there will always be people to "test" you in the game.

1 hour ago, GuessWhat said:

I understand what you are saying, but to some people the gameplay loop will be the "catch" of the game. As for the randoms. In my experience, some people will help you during an event, but they will not join your party. In addition, there will always be people to "test" you in the game.

Which is one of the few draws to the game for me. I might catch a bigger streamers stream to see if they get fucked with. Its unfortunate that Phil with his relatively small fan base, if he does an open multiplayer stream thwre is 100% chance he will get trolled. A streamer that is 10x more successful and popular than him can do an open multiplayer stream and be a-ok as far as not get completely trolled.

Some say Phil stunts his own growth out of fear of trolls but I understand his stance and strictness on multiplayer games.

Edited by TubeLube

On 11/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, TubeLube said:

nothing against him, I just think his commentary and ability to entertain an audience is non-existent

then why do you watch him?

Autism is strong here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

then why do you watch him?

Autism is strong here.

.....? I dont watch AiredLord, where did I say I watch him regularly? I think Hooked on Phonics is needed here. And please dont jest about autism. Even though im not autistic, many people suffer from it and you should be more considerate of those people instead of making a bad joke that inevitably blew up in your own face.

Long post because I find the reaction from the Fallout fanbase to be interesting. FWIW, I've been a hardcore Fallout fan since Fallout 1. However, I had low expectations for FO76 in large part due to the very high potential for griefing/ganking.

10 hours ago, TubeLube said:

Fallout 76 isnt a sequal nor do I think Fallout 76 is a complete shit game, i think its a significant downgrade from its predecessors.

It seems to me that many people (not necessarily you) really, really hated 76 from the get-go and desperately have wanted it to fail, and I don't get why. Maybe people are afraid that this will replace Fallout 5? I can't say that concern is baseless as the time frame between Skyrim and the next Elder Scrolls game is huge due to Elder Scrolls Online. If not that, then I don't get it. If I thought Bethesda was going to ditch the standard Fallout formula for this then yeah I'd be pissed. However, I see this as an entirely different game type in the same world much like Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. 

6 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

The idea of 76 is fresh but I have to be skeptical. There's no way you can get random players work together in game where you can do anything you want. And even if you the people you run into team up what is the point? With no NCPs or story you're just fighting mutants and trading. Wash, rinse, repeat. It isn't going to work.

I'd not say it's fresh.  It's similar to quite a few other survival games as far as general mechanics go.

Not sure why you don't think random players can't work together. It's been happening across multiple games for a long time, even those which don't explicitly group people together. 76 has public quests which allows people to work together without having to group. It's also common in lots of other games to run into people, help each other out, then move on.

Doing quests, gathering resources, learning new blueprints, exploring, and killing random stuff IS the point of a game like this. Look at something like ARK. That game, at least for a long time, had literally no "point." Hell, that game didn't even have quests. However my friends and I each have over 100+ hours in it. Killing and taming dinos, gathering resources, leveling up, exploring, building, etc., was what was fun. We didn't need quests, or an end goal, or whatever.  Minecraft, Don't Starve, The Forest, The Raft are other games with no "point" that are enjoyed by lots of people, solo and grouped.

As to the PvP, I know that if you are attacked but do not attack back, the damage is reduced. If you attack back, then you lose that protection. The question is; how is that damage reduced? If it's a percentage, it's still possible for high level people with uber weapons/perks/mods to own lowbies. If damage is reduced a set amount (say, all PvP damage is reduced to 1 HP) then it shouldn't be too big of an issues. I've no doubt that regardless of how it's implemented some dumb shits will figure out a way to get around it and grief. However, from what I've seen, Bethesda seems to want this game to be primarily PvE and, if people want to PvP, they can and won't punish them much if they lose. For example, I believe that if you die in PvP you only drop your junk. 

Not saying that this is an amazing game that everyone needs to go buy. In fact, if you only want to solo, don't care about crafting, want a more quest oriented/guided experience and don't like survival mechanics you aren't going to like Fallout 76. Even if you do enjoy those things, I don't know how much longevity this has compared to other survival games, in large part due to the lack of shared bases and shared group/communication channels beyond 4 players. I do feel confident that my friends and I will get at least 30+ hours of entertainment out of it and that's fine by us.

35 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Long post because I find the reaction from the Fallout fanbase to be interesting. FWIW, I've been a hardcore Fallout fan since Fallout 1. However, I had low expectations for FO76 in large part due to the very high potential for griefing/ganking.

It seems to me that many people (not necessarily you) really, really hated 76 from the get-go and desperately have wanted it to fail, and I don't get why. Maybe people are afraid that this will replace Fallout 5? I can't say that concern is baseless as the time frame between Skyrim and the next Elder Scrolls game is huge due to Elder Scrolls Online. If not that, then I don't get it. If I thought Bethesda was going to ditch the standard Fallout formula for this then yeah I'd be pissed. However, I see this as an entirely different game type in the same world much like Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. 

I was highly optimistic about Fallout 76 as soon as the "MMO" aspect was announced. As soon as I heard that, it instantly reminded me of how lackluster Elder Scrolls Online was at launch. Now even though I still think the game isnt a real Elder Scrolls expierence, it grew into its own. You would think they would of learned from ESO what and what not to do with a singleplayer game turned multiplayer expierence. Its very obvious they've learned nothing.

Graphics are subpar compared to what is available elsewhere. The PC game seems like was an afterthought for them (which for a Bethesda game is fucking nuts) with the glitches, game breaking crashes, the increased resolutions not doing the game any favors, etc, etc, etc. They've gutted everything that made fallout great for the sake of a half assed MMO expierence. VATs has been reduced to nothing more than glorified auto aim. Fucking microtransactions which means motherfuckers are going to be running around with stupid hats and costumes to further reduce the immersive atmosphere that Fallout is known for.. I could go on, and on.

Sorry. I would love to have a MMO Fallout, but Fallout 76 aint it. Im not saying the game is trash, nor am I saying it wont grow into its own later down the line. Im saying as a regular gamer who doesnt stream and make money from gaming, and with everything that ive seen and heard, I and anyone else in my position would be pretty stupid to purchase that game Day 1.

Im not one of these guys that shouting out "Well Fallout New Vegas for another 5 years..", but my hopes for this game to be in my library even 5 or 6 months down the line is pretty low unless I see some significant changes in the future.

35 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

I do feel confident that my friends and I will get at least 30+ hours of entertainment out of it and that's fine by us.

And only getting 30 hours from a $60 multiplayer Fallout game is the problem. I hope you enjoy yourself, but coming from a guy that has 100's of hours in the singleplayer Fallout, and someone who believes multiplayer suppose to increase the life of a game, 30 hours is pathetic. Im not willing to pay $60 for a game I think is only $60 because it has "Fallout" in the title. Especially Day 1.

Edited by TubeLube

12 hours ago, GuessWhat said:

But the thing is in Minecraft there's so much to do that you don't need a story.

In this game it seems all you do is fight mutants and collect/trade items so you can keep killing mutants. It's pretty much No Man's Sky.

5 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Not sure why you don't think random players can't work together. It's been happening across multiple games for a long time, even those which don't explicitly group people together. 76 has public quests which allows people to work together without having to group. It's also common in lots of other games to run into people, help each other out, then move on.

Because I played GTA online. In free roam if you're minding your own business people WILL kill you on sight. Hell they'll likely track you down simply for joining the server.