Jump to content
The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TubeLube

Whats the point of playing Fallout76?

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Not other players. Some vertibirds just showed up and started attacking enemies as well as me when I shot at them, they were pretty high level so I ran.

I doubt there are Steel NPCs you can meet later, but I have no idea.

You actually had me interested for a second. This is exactly what I mean. What you experienced was just soulless NCPs fighting each other. Without a story Fallout 76 is just meaningless combat. Now I'm defiantly skipping this game. There doesn't even seem to be a true survival aspect. I don't believe Fallout has a hunger system and it's not like you get hunted at night or something.

The only thing that can save this game is the player interaction but I'm still skeptical that player interaction is a good substitute for a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

You actually had me interested for a second. This is exactly what I mean. What you experienced was just soulless NCPs fighting each other. Without a story Fallout 76 is just meaningless combat. Now I'm defiantly skipping this game. There doesn't even seem to be a true survival aspect. I don't believe Fallout has a hunger system and it's not like you get hunted at night or something.

The only thing that can save this game is the player interaction but I'm still skeptical that player interaction is a good substitute for a story.

There's story and NPCs, just no humans. Not sure if I said that already. If there are human NPCs I haven't found any. Most of the quests I've gotten were from holotapes and robots.

There very clearly is a survival system. You have to stay fed and hydrated or you take damage. You deal with radiation, diseases and weather as well. I found a shack and decided to sleep on some rug and got a disease. I also got dysentery from drinking some nasty water.

I've gotten various diseases from animals and ghouls as well lately. If you don't have medicine you gotta wait for it to wear off. I hear you get mutations, but I haven't had that happen to me yet.

Hey, it's your money. If you get the PS4 edition you can always team with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone isn't planning to play Fallout 76, you can just checkout the final boss here:

Spoiler

 

 

It's basically Skyrim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

There's story and NPCs, just no humans. Not sure if I said that already. If there are human NPCs I haven't found any. Most of the quests I've gotten were from holotapes and robots.

Sorry but I don't count audio logs as a story. This would only work with the role playing community.

I would much rather play a game like skyrim or Fallout 4 with a full story with characters but occasionally you join up with another player like in Journey who can either be an ally or an enemy. That would be dope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Amityville said:

So according to you Outlast 2 is an RPG then?

That literally makes no sense. There's a big difference between audio logs that add backstory to a game and a story that is ONLY told through audio logs while the rest of the game is just endless, repetitive, grinding.

Also when I said role playing community I'm referring to people who act out scenarios to add stories to games. I don't know how the hell you interpreted that as "Outlast is an RPG"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I raided a prison which was overrun with ghouls. The robot warden gave me a quest to reactivate the turret system so I had to visit all the cell blocks which were heavily infested. I probably killed over 30 ghouls along with this level 40 "super ghoul" that showed up. No idea how I killed it since I'm level 15, bullets did no damage to it but melee attacks did. The computer terminal emails explained how the prison was in bad shape before the bombs even dropped. The court yard was full of super mutants which gave me a rough time since they were hanging out in the guard towers.

Next I'm planning to visit Vault tec university nearby for the main story, to find out where the Vault 76 overseer disappeared to.

I've been playing this all week and I've seriously touched 10% of the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

Today I raided a prison which was overrun with ghouls. The robot warden gave me a quest to reactivate the turret system so I had to visit all the cell blocks which were heavily infested. I probably killed over 30 ghouls along with this level 40 "super ghoul" that showed up. No idea how I killed it since I'm level 15, bullets did no damage to it but melee attacks did. The computer terminal emails explained how the prison was in bad shape before the bombs even dropped. The court yard was full of super mutants which gave me a rough time since they were hanging out in the guard towers.

Next I'm planning to visit Vault tec university nearby for the main story, to find out where the Vault 76 overseer disappeared to.

I've been playing this all week and I've seriously touched 10% of the map.

It's totally cool that you like it. But everything you've described screams generic, lol. It's obvious the game is laid out like an MMO, and doesn't have any of the fun narrative that makes Fallout a great series. And that's okay, if you're looking for tons of that style of gameplay. But with all the negative stuff I've heard about the game, including on my streams, I'm very glad I skipped it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's totally cool that you like it. But everything you've described screams generic, lol. It's obvious the game is laid out like an MMO, and doesn't have any of the fun narrative that makes Fallout a great series. And that's okay, if you're looking for tons of that style of gameplay. But with all the negative stuff I've heard about the game, including on my streams, I'm very glad I skipped it.

It pretty much is an MMO. You've got a slow leveling system and equipment has level restricts so you can't just use anything you find. Walk into the wrong area and you're staring up at a level 50 scorchbeast. The game still has your typical Bethesda bugs and there's lag due to it being online.

Since we're not getting Fallout 5 anytime soon it's a fun game to play in the meantime however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Phil said:

It's obvious the game is laid out like an MMO

12 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

It pretty much is an MMO.

As someone who's put in a ludicrous number of hours into them, Fallout 76 is really not something I'd classify as an MMO. There are no dungeons or raids. PvP is barebones. No social organizational structures like guilds, auction houses, or even local/global text chat. As far as I can, there isn't any real endgame. Only 24 people on a server. No ability to pick a server with a community. 

I've describe Fallout 76 as a Survival-lite set in the Fallout universe. You need to eat and drink as well as deal with radiation and diseases. The focus is on exploration, leveling, and crafting (building a base, creating and upgrading weapons and armor, finding blueprints, etc.)  There is far more story than in a typical Survival game if you care to look for or pay attention to it, but it's not what I'd consider a strong point.

14 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I've been playing this all week and I've seriously touched 10% of the map.

I'm probably ~35-40 hours in, level 40, and still impressed with how huge the world is. It's one of those games where you start off thinking "Today I'm going to go to this area of the map for a quest, it should only take about 15 minutes." 2 hours later you still haven't arrived because you keep finding new quests to do and areas to explore, clear out, and loot. 

Saw a few nukes launched over the weekend. Must say that visually they are really impressive. I've not gotten to witness a nuke as it explodes, but the cloud it leaves behind is HUGE and visible from very far away.  If you go into the nuke zone (marked red on the map) you'd better have incredibly high radiation resistance; I'd say probably a minimum of 500 (I had 1,000 and still was taking rad damage constantly though it was very slight.)  Once inside the nuke zone, everything has a really cool orange-y tone and a lot of nasty creatures spawn. I saw stuff like a level 60 3 Star boss Super Mutants. I love that when a nuke drops, it actually brings everyone on that server together into the point of impact; the exact opposite of what you'd expect IRL.

I still don't get the hate that it's getting. If you go into this thinking it's Fallout 5 or Fallout 4 w/friends then yes, your'e going to be disappointed.  However, if you go in knowing what to expect (Fallout themed survival-lite game) you'll most likely enjoy it, especially if you have friends to play with. The game absolutely has issues both technical and design, but it's not a bad or lazily developed game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

As someone who's put in a ludicrous number of hours into them, Fallout 76 is really not something I'd classify as an MMO. There are no dungeons or raids. PvP is barebones. No social organizational structures like guilds, auction houses, or even local/global text chat. As far as I can, there isn't any real endgame. Only 24 people on a server. No ability to pick a server with a community. 

I've describe Fallout 76 as a Survival-lite set in the Fallout universe. You need to eat and drink as well as deal with radiation and diseases. The focus is on exploration, leveling, and crafting (building a base, creating and upgrading weapons and armor, finding blueprints, etc.)  There is far more story than in a typical Survival game if you care to look for or pay attention to it, but it's not what I'd consider a strong point.

I'm probably ~35-40 hours in, level 40, and still impressed with how huge the world is. It's one of those games where you start off thinking "Today I'm going to go to this area of the map for a quest, it should only take about 15 minutes." 2 hours later you still haven't arrived because you keep finding new quests to do and areas to explore, clear out, and loot. 

Saw a few nukes launched over the weekend. Must say that visually they are really impressive. I've not gotten to witness a nuke as it explodes, but the cloud it leaves behind is HUGE and visible from very far away.  If you go into the nuke zone (marked red on the map) you'd better have incredibly high radiation resistance; I'd say probably a minimum of 500 (I had 1,000 and still was taking rad damage constantly though it was very slight.)  Once inside the nuke zone, everything has a really cool orange-y tone and a lot of nasty creatures spawn. I saw stuff like a level 60 3 Star boss Super Mutants. I love that when a nuke drops, it actually brings everyone on that server together into the point of impact; the exact opposite of what you'd expect IRL.

I still don't get the hate that it's getting. If you go into this thinking it's Fallout 5 or Fallout 4 w/friends then yes, your'e going to be disappointed.  However, if you go in knowing what to expect (Fallout themed survival-lite game) you'll most likely enjoy it, especially if you have friends to play with. The game absolutely has issues both technical and design, but it's not a bad or lazily developed game. 

The fans mostly wanted a sequel to Fallout 4 tho not a MMO-lite.

Edited by Amityville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

I still don't get the hate that it's getting. 

It's quite simple:

1. It's not Fallout 5 (always going to get hate for that).

2. It doesn't need to exist.

Is it a horrible game? No, but ultimately, if the game didn't exist, nothing at all would be missed. There's a difference between must-experience games that push the boundaries of entertainment (God of War, Spider-Man, RDR2) and then there's a game like Fallout 76: completely pointless, only there as a time-waster experience and ultimately just produced NOT to be a stand-alone work of art, but a way for a publisher to re-use assets they're sitting on to make additional money.

It's not a BAD thing if you like that style of game. Hell, I play mobile games that are absolutely awful in design, but I enjoy them for time-wasting as well. But to say the game is good, or on the level of some of the other amazing games we've had in 2018, is incredibly laughable. I'd even go as far to say that many indie games are more worthwhile than Fallout 76, as at least they're trying to do something original, memorable, and for art as WELL as profit. Fallout 76 is not in that category, so understandably a LOT of people hate on it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just love how I suppose to be amazed when you guys talk about some random experience you randomly ran into and keep on harping on at how big the map is. It reminds me of when I was heavy into Minecraft and would get bored of dealing with people or building shit and I would make a pointless journey to the "end of the world". Yeah, running into random shit in a big map has a certain appeal, but heres the kicker, you're playing an entire game where most of it is about running around doing random shit with no rhyme or real reason. I did such things when I got bored of the core game mechanics, all Fallout 76 core game mechanics, the "story", combat, multiplayer expierence, and etc are either all half assed or flatout broken.

So yeah, running around in a big map can be fun for a short period time, I use to get "Wowed" when Id run into a random village or a big ass hole in the ground or some new climate in Minecraft. But eventually, you're going to realize you're playing a FallOut game, and then thats when you're going to realize quest are bugged and broken, the combat is not that great, the "story" is souless because its impossible to get immersed into a video game world where theres nobody to talk to about the world other than tapes and robots, and all the other shit this game doesnt execute very well.

Thats great you guys are enjoying it, im just saying I won't. Fallout 76 is a hollow shell of what I would enjoy in playing a Fallout game. If this game was $30 then I wouldnt be so harsh because at least Bethesda would acknowledge this game is half-assed. But its 60 fucking dollars right now and its mostly very broken and basic.

No thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's quite simple:

1. It's not Fallout 5 (always going to get hate for that).

2. It doesn't need to exist.

Is it a horrible game? No, but ultimately, if the game didn't exist, nothing at all would be missed. There's a difference between must-experience games that push the boundaries of entertainment (God of War, Spider-Man, RDR2) and then there's a game like Fallout 76: completely pointless, only there as a time-waster experience and ultimately just produced NOT to be a stand-alone work of art, but a way for a publisher to re-use assets they're sitting on to make additional money.

It's not a BAD thing if you like that style of game. Hell, I play mobile games that are absolutely awful in design, but I enjoy them for time-wasting as well. But to say the game is good, or on the level of some of the other amazing games we've had in 2018, is incredibly laughable. I'd even go as far to say that many indie games are more worthwhile than Fallout 76, as at least they're trying to do something original, memorable, and for art as WELL as profit. Fallout 76 is not in that category, so understandably a LOT of people hate on it.

Yeah, Stardew Valley and Graveyard Keeper, both indie titles, are better than Fallout 76.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amityville said:

The fans mostly wanted a sequel to Fallout 4 tho not a MMO-lite.

Actually I wanted a fallout sequel with the same quest structure but with drop in drop out co-op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From:

On 11/11/2018 at 3:50 AM, Amityville said:

Fallout is one of the best franchises. You gotta buy it.

To:

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

Yeah, Stardew Valley and Graveyard Keeper, both indie titles, are better than Fallout 76.

What a complete 180.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil said:

2. It doesn't need to exist.

While it's true it doesn't NEED to exist, the Fallout setting is a very good one for a Survival game. Environmental hazards everywhere, endless ideas for irradiated and mutated enemies, scrounging for edible food and water, rebuilding the world, fighting vs others for resources, etc. Now this game misses the mark on several of these but making a Fallout survival game makes a lot of sense. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

But to say the game is good, or on the level of some of the other amazing games we've had in 2018, is incredibly laughable.

Sure but who's really saying that? I've no doubt that there are fanboys out there who are saying that Fallout 76 is, in it's current state, amazing. While I love the game, I definitely wouldn't call it amazing. It's not going on my GOTY list alongside games like Subnautica, Yakuza 0 (PC, ) God of War, Spider-Man, Kingdom Come, etc. However, there's a lot of room between "Amazing" and "Shit," and for me FO76 lands on "Good but deeply flawed."

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I'd even go as far to say that many indie games are more worthwhile than Fallout 76, as at least they're trying to do something original, memorable, and for art as WELL as profit. Fallout 76 is not in that category, so understandably a LOT of people hate on it.

See, that's where I feel people are being unreasonable. Bethesda is trying something new with the Fallout franchise. They are NOT (at least according to them) doing this as a replacement for the standard Fallout series. I see this as Bethesda's version of Metal Gear Solid: Revengence; A game in the same game world with significantly different play style that doesn't effect the main series.  

People seem to be mad not because of what 76 is, but what it isn't. I get that and would be on board if I thought this was the direction that they wanted to take the Fallout IP but I don't think that's what they are doing.

 

1 hour ago, TubeLube said:

Thats great you guys are enjoying it, im just saying I won't. 

I mean... OK? Is someone in this thread or elsewhere telling you to buy it even if you aren't into this kind of game? I've repeatedly told folks that if they do not like Survival games that they probably should not get FO76. There's a big difference between "I don't like this game because I don't like the genre" and "I don't like this genre so this game is shit."  If they made a Fallout rogue-like, I'd probably hate it because I hate rogue-likes. That doesn't mean I'd say the game was garbage.  I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you to try it as you obviously will hate it. What people are saying is that just because it's not what you're looking for, that doesn't make it bad.

 

I find this whole Fallout 76 situation to be very interesting. The backlash has been entertaining but the design of the game itself raises a lot of questions. I'd LOVE to be privy to the discussions regarding the design and technical challenges. Given what I've seen, I'm very inclined to believe that the Fallout 76 we have now is quite a bit different than what they originally envisioned. This is entirely conjecture, but I think they wanted the world to more "set;" persistent servers with permanent player made buildings and towns, player stocked vendors, 100+ people per server, resource rich camps for players to fight over, etc. Due to some combination of tech, time, and money things got scaled way back and a lot of bandaids were thrown around. Anyway, there's just a lot of interesting conversation to be had about the various elements of it's release, reception, and design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I'm not that concerned with people that want to hate the game. It's their loss.

I'm just saying it's really fun and I'm having a blast with it.

 

It's a nice little in-between game since we're going to be waiting years for Fallout 5 and ES6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

I mean... OK? Is someone in this thread or elsewhere telling you to buy it even if you aren't into this kind of game? I've repeatedly told folks that if they do not like Survival games that they probably should not get FO76. There's a big difference between "I don't like this game because I don't like the genre" and "I don't like this genre so this game is shit."  If they made a Fallout rogue-like, I'd probably hate it because I hate rogue-likes. That doesn't mean I'd say the game was garbage.  I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you to try it as you obviously will hate it. What people are saying is that just because it's not what you're looking for, that doesn't make it bad.

Listen, nobody here not even me is saying their not playing F76 because they dont enjoy these types of games, Im saying I didnt enjoy it because its fucking broken. Im not going to pretend like there are people out there that are just mad that this isnt Fallout 5, but this game is very generic and mostly broken for what it is. I would go back and play the early access of Rust over this game anyday and I wasn't particularly "wowed" over that game. 

I know you and @KGhaleon are saying you aren't fanboys but you're certainly coming off as one. Everytime I bring up an alarming problem like the bugs or the quest being broken you guys kinda be like "Yeah thats in the game, but the map is big though. I only played 5% of the map" and then I talk about the combat or how the build your own character is straight lifted from Fallout 4 or how im hearing the endgame is basically Skryim you guys want to talk about how some random experience "wowed" you even though it didn't really mean anything and did nothing for you or the game world because theres nobody in the game world affected by what just happened in-front you. Thats what a poor story and lack of NPCs do. Bethesda essentially were to lazy and thought throwing the game story onto the players was a good idea even though theres nothing in the world of Fallout 76 to even make that remotely possible for a long period of time. Like im sorry, nothing you guys are talking about are very great things for me to purchase a $60 video game when Ive seen it done better in games I played 4-5 years ago. As I said, if this game wasnt called Fallout then this game would be still very mediocre but at least understandable.

Only reason im befuddled at what you guys are saying because its almost laughable at what you guys are saying what makes the game good, it really speaks to what gamers are ready to buy just from false hype of a video game. And heres the kicker, unless there is a major update soon, you guys wont be playing this game in December, ill put money on it you wont. The people you're playing with are gonna finally eat that buyers remorse and are gonna quit and then thats when youll realize how hollow this game is when the few dedicated people you have playing with you are gone.

I know it seems like im giving you guys and this game a hard time, but dont pretend like everybody else is missing out on something wonderful. We arent. This game is broken, as a responsible consumer we saw the lack of effort and brokenness of the game despite the obvious hype that was around the game and we made a decision not to throw our money away to a week, 2-week broken "mmo-survival" expierence that does neither well at all.

/rant

Edited by TubeLube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

I know you and @KGhaleon are saying you aren't fanboys but you're certainly coming off as one. Everytime I bring up an alarming problem like the bugs or the quest being broken you guys kinda be like "Yeah thats in the game, but the map is big though. I only played 5% of the map" and then I talk about the combat or how the build your own character is straight lifted from Fallout 4 or how im hearing the endgame is basically Skryim you guys want to talk about how some random experience "wowed" you even though it didn't really mean anything and did nothing for you or the game world because theres nobody in the game world affected by what just happened in-front you. Thats what a poor story and lack of NPCs do. Bethesda essentially were to lazy and thought throwing the game story onto the players was a good idea even though theres nothing in the world if Fallout 76 to even make that remotely possible for a long period of time. Like im sorry, nothing you guys are talking about are very great things for me to purchase a $60 video game when Ive seen it done better in games I played 4-5 years ago.

 

I'm not a Fallout fanboy? I never said I wasn't, I love all of them and would suck Todd howard's dick for Elder scrolls 6.

 

It's a Bethesda game, shit is gonna have bugs and it's going to be patched constantly. Get the game discounted in 6 months if it bothers you. or don't if you don't like the idea of a Fallout MMO.

 

I'm jumping back in tonight to explore the southern end of the map, where the air is toxic and you need a gas mask to survive.

8 hours ago, Phil said:

It's quite simple:

1. It's not Fallout 5 (always going to get hate for that).

2. It doesn't need to exist.

If you're upset about trolls, I will say this game is very anti-troll.

You can turn off voice chat.

PVP doesn't work unless both individuals agree to it. Someone can't just walk up and kill you.

You can block someone, which removes your location from their map so they can't see where you are.

When you connect to a server it drops you into a random session. A troll would have to repeatedly connect to probably a hundred servers to try and find you. Even if they located you, you could simply log out and back in and you'd be in a new random server(takes like a minute) and they would be forced to find you again.

They really thought this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TubeLube You need to chill. I don't like the idea of the game either. Nothing the others said good about the game means anything to me. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. No one is forcing you to play the game or say you're not allowed to dislike it. We can all disagree with each other without calling each other fanboys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

@TubeLube You need to chill. I don't like the idea of the game either. Nothing the others said good about the game means anything to me. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. No one is forcing you to play the game or say you're not allowed to dislike it. We can all disagree with each other without calling each other fanboys.

Why not. KGHaleon admitted to being a fanboy. I dont see how im being disrespectful if I was right. You're right everbody is entitled to their opinion and nobody is ever forcing me to play anything.

Since this is such a sensitive topic for some of you, we can always lock this thread down and everybody can get back to talking about...

*Looks at all the recent post history*

Nothing. 

Edited by TubeLube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×