The King of Hate Forums
TubeLube

Whats the point of playing Fallout76?

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

But the thing is in Minecraft there's so much to do that you don't need a story.

In this game it seems all you do is fight mutants and collect/trade items so you can keep killing mutants. It's pretty much No Man's Sky.

That is fine if you think that. Also, I'm not trying to convince to buy the game or anything. I'm just giving you my experience.

I personally think Phil is making a huge mistake ignoring this game. There are tons of people (myself included) who are on the fence and are waiting to see others play it first. Phil is all about day 1 views, and this is arguably the MOST IMPORTANT game for day 1 views...

and hes gonna skip it. For shame.

7 hours ago, TubeLube said:

Graphics are subpar compared to what is available elsewhere.

Can't speak to the consoles but on PC the game looks really good. It could look better of course but it doesn't look bad by any stretch.

8 hours ago, TubeLube said:

The PC game seems like was an afterthought for them (which for a Bethesda game is fucking nuts) with the glitches, game breaking crashes, the increased resolutions not doing the game any favors, etc, etc, etc. 

PC has been an afterthought for Bethesda since Skyrim unfortunately. 

What bugs are people running in to? Honestly curious. Of my group of 3-4, I don't think any of us ran into any bugs aside from the periodic issue where you can't loot. We could have just been very lucky.  I was actually surprised how few bugs we ran in to considering it's a Bethesda game.

Not a bug per say, but I will say that the AI absolutely needs work. Too often enemies would just stand or run around aimlessly, or not agro when they should have.

30 hours is pathetic.

I was being conservative which is why I had the "+" in 30+. Just in beta I probably have 8-10 hours already. It's very hard for me to estimate how much time I'll put in but that's in large part because I'm a variety streamer and people may get bored once I put "too many" hours in. 

Im not willing to pay $60 for a game I think is only $60 because it has "Fallout" in the title. Especially Day 1

I would 100% agree with you here. Day (or Week) 1 is probably going to be a mess. Server stability, hacks, exploits, griefing loopholes, etc.  For folks who don't want to deal with that, I would absolutely agree that you should wait at LEAST 24 hours to see how things are panning out, tech wise. However, as someone who isn't that bothered by that stuff as much and willing to deal with it as a tradeoff of playing with friends on Day 1, it's not an issue. 

As an aside TubeLube, have you played survival games like ARK, Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together, 7 Days to Die, The Forest, The Raft, Conan Exiles, etc? If so, do you like them? 

2 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Because I played GTA online.

Sure, I get that. However, unless I'm mistaken (and I could be as I've never played GTA Online) there aren't any protections from people killing you randomly. FO76 does have protections (how well they work is TBD) and even if you do die I believe your losses are minimal. My biggest concern for griefing in FO76 is that you can see all other players on the map unless they are stealthed.  That seems like it could be a huge problem. 

My completely anecdotal experience with other players so far is that I rarely even saw people who weren't in my Team. When I did, we either ignored each other or helped one another do area quests and spammed derpy emotes.

I'm not saying it's going to be a happy lovefest where everyone sits around giving each other handies.. There will be griefers, there will be asshats, there will be people who try to find every possible way to make others miserable. My point is that Bethesda seems to want to limit their impact. How well will it work? Guess we'll find out. However, to assume people are just going to shit on each other at every opportunity and not work together seems a bit overly cynical.

45 minutes ago, FuturesBrightMan said:

I personally think Phil is making a huge mistake ignoring this game. There are tons of people (myself included) who are on the fence and are waiting to see others play it first. Phil is all about day 1 views, and this is arguably the MOST IMPORTANT game for day 1 views...

I get wanting to see someone you enjoy check out a game you're interested in, but at this point would you really want to see him play it? He's already decided that he hates it so if he were to play it now he would just take every single opportunity to shit on it while calling everyone who isn't trashing it paid shills. Do you really want to base your decision of the game on that?

Regardless, Day 1 there will be tons of others streaming so getting an idea of what to expect should be very easy.  As someone who has put about 8 hours into beta, the thing I tell folks is that if you enjoy Survival games and want to play one with a Fallout setting, you'll probably enjoy this, especially if you have friends to play it with.  If you mostly want to solo, have little to no interest in crafting or base building, and want an experience that's more about doing quests, meeting NPCs, dealing with factions, etc., then you will NOT like Fallout 76.

Pros:

• + Crafting and base building is fun
  • + Going out to get guns/armor/etc to break down for resources and blueprints is enjoyable
  • + Raiding various NPC outposts
  • + Area quests bring folks together
  • + Lots of interesting areas to explore
  • + With fast travel, grouping with friends is incredibly easy
  • + Unwanted PvP SEEMS to not be a big issue
  • + Perk/card system can be changed at a whim, very interesting setup

Cons:

• - AI needs work, NPCs too often won't attack or aren't aggressive enough
  • -  Framerate issues in some town areas
  • - Lack of permanent guild function sucks if you have more than 4 people you want to play with
  • - Lack of permanent structures is a huge drawback as you can't work on a big base for your group 
  • - Perk cards being random and not tradeable blows if you get bad RNG
  • - Having absolutely no human NPCs is dumb

1 hour ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

What bugs are people running in to? Honestly curious. Of my group of 3-4, I don't think any of us ran into any bugs aside from the periodic issue where you can't loot. We could have just been very lucky.  I was actually surprised how few bugs we ran in to considering it's a Bethesda game.

Not a bug per say, but I will say that the AI absolutely needs work. Too often enemies would just stand or run around aimlessly, or not agro when they should have.

Visual bugs, the respawns are fucking crazy fast for no reason, the AI is... Lets be kind. Horrific. There was a bug that deleted the BETA completely, and just yesterday they announced a 52GB day 1 patch..

The game is only 45GBs.

That should make it clear as day how broken and unfinished this game is. I cannot justify myself or anybody to buy the game Day 1.

1 hour ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

As an aside TubeLube, have you played survival games like ARK, Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together, 7 Days to Die, The Forest, The Raft, Conan Exiles, etc? If so, do you like them? 

Ive played all of them besides Conan Exiles and The Raft. Dont Starve is my favorite and ARK my least.

Edited by TubeLube

Dudes not even playing the game.

I'll probably be picking it up, since I like exploration more than NPC/story interaction.

I watched some of Oxhorn's gameplay and it doesn't look that bad.

3 minutes ago, 8circuitsiddhist said:

But mmo is a

I jump glee knowing how rash

That is what happens when you let marketing people be the brain s of a company!

Hopefully the first train wreck in the tulip bulb "market" that is the video gamw industry! 

But maybe its just the case of ymmv?! If she ne convinced that they like the game for its flaws, let them have that!vat thay fucking proce thete is no comparative utility to fo76 but in a market, there is more consumer out there to buy and the fredcom to do what you want! 

Fredcom..... Thats kdd...maybe tge Fred the Nickelodeon theory of communists.....who bthe fuck knows

Bro not to be rude, but what the fuck are you talking about?

Played a little bit of Fallout 76 at my friends house and like I thought, read, and saw.. 

Its the most lifeless, boring, stripped down Fallout game ever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TubeLube said:

Played a little bit of Fallout 76 at my friends house and like I thought, read, and saw.. 

Having played it tonight I honestly don't really share your opinion or get where this comes from.

There was an incredible amount of content and places to visit. Every location I visited had tons of little backstories and holotapes to listen to and secrets to find.

Not sure what the player limit is, but there were tons of people on my map and plenty of enemies to fight. There wasn't a boring moment.

Besides the main quest(yes, there is one), you still find side quests, there's also event quests and such.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

Having played it tonight I honestly don't really share your opinion or get where this comes from.

There was an incredible amount of content and places to visit. Every location I visited had tons of little backstories and holotapes to listen to and secrets to find.

Not sure what the player limit is, but there were tons of people on my map and plenty of enemies to fight. There wasn't a boring moment.

Besides the main quest(yes, there is one), you still find side quests, there's also event quests and such.

Yeah the map is big and glorious but you and several other people dont want to talk about how bad the meat and potatoes of the game is. The combat is terrible, the game is clearly gutted compared to other fallout games, the servers are trash, and all for the sake of playing with people that you hope and pray are dicks and assholes.

But hey if you like it, I love it.

8 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

The combat is terrible

The combat is very similar to Fallout 4, barring VATS change. Obviously VATS cannot work like it does in the single player game, so that had to change. I played FO4 the other night as a refresher and there isn't much different.  Of course, if you thought FO4 combat was terrible then yes, you'll think FO76 combat is terrible too.

10 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

the game is clearly gutted compared to other fallout games

In what sense? The main thing missing is NPCs and factions. Given the timeframe and theme they are going for, I actually agree with having far less people. However, I do think the fact that there are NO NPCs whatsoever was overboard. There should be groups of (NPC) people but they should be rare. As KG mentioned, the areas are fairly compact with regards to stuff to do.  I'll spend 1-2 hours progressing in a direction, feel like I covered a lot, then check my map to realized I have barely moved, relatively speaking.

12 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

the servers are trash,

During all of beta and all of last night, the only issue we had was when voice chat got choppy for all of us for like 5 minutes. Other than that it ran surprisingly well.  I heard KG mention problems with PS4 right as it launched but... meh? This happens with almost every big multiplayer release and it sounds like it was fixed fairly quickly, so unless there are ongoing major issues I'm unaware of it's hyperbolic to say they are shit.

14 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

all for the sake of playing with people that you hope and pray are dicks and assholes.

We've yet to run into any real jerks yet, but that admittedly could be because we run in a group. I've not tried the PvP but I've heard from folks who have been attacked by others say the damage they took was minuscule to the point they could ignore it for a long time, pop a heal, then go back to ignoring it.  There will be griefers who figure out ways to screw with people, but so far it's been a total non-issue. Even if you do get killed, I believe the only thing you drop is your Junk anyway.

I'm all for valid criticism but frankly your points sound like things you've heard other people rant about. I'm 100% onboard with discussing the very real issues that this game has (lack of stash space, inability to place junk items as decoration in my house, low resource space for your base, bad AI, lack of permanent group structures, etc.,) but hearing some of the tired crap that just keeps getting regurgitated that's either overblown or false is boring.

I have to say I'm really confused by the hate this game is getting. It isn't just "I don't want to play that as it's not my style;" it's "THAT GAME IS SHIT I HOPE IT FAILS FUCK YOU BETHESDA!!" I know how the gaming community can be but where is this coming from? Are people afraid that, if successful, Bethesda won't do single player, FO3/NV/FO4 style Fallouts anymore? 

33 minutes ago, TubeLube said:

Yeah the map is big and glorious but you and several other people dont want to talk about how bad the meat and potatoes of the game is. The combat is terrible, the game is clearly gutted compared to other fallout games, the servers are trash, and all for the sake of playing with people that you hope and pray are dicks and assholes.

But hey if you like it, I love it.

The game definitely has its flaws. I don't think anyone said this game was perfect. Anyways, I don't get what your point is. I mean you already made it clear that you don't like the game and think it is shit. 

On a side note, the map size is fucking insane.

10 hours ago, TubeLube said:

That counts? You should really do an in-depth review of it guy. Considering you had a chip on your shoulder before playing it and all.

• Like 1

GTA Online has protections. You can go into passive mode which makes other players and the bullets pass right through you. On the other hand you also can't attack and that includes NPCs so your basically choosing no gameplay in exchange to being attacked.

But for the record I don't mind PVP mixed with PVE. But there needs to be balance. If everyone is friendly it's pretty much just a co-op shooter. If everyone attacks on sight it's just deathmatch. Neither is interesting. Especially when the core of the game is shooting enemies in a barren open world.

@Amityville @VertigoTeaparty @GuessWhat @KGhaleon

You guys keep defending this game very hard. Listen, I did thorough research on this game. I wanted to like it, I was to the point of pretending to like it, but im only going to put up with so much. Thats great that you guys can excuse so many problems just because its a Bethesda Fallout game, but im not so easily starry eyed impressed by a huge empty map. 

I don't hate the game, its just as of today its not the Fallout game I wish to sink any time playing until some major problems are fixed. Maybe in a few months when everything is fixed and the game is in the bargain bin, I'll revisit it, but right now no.

Ive saw many videos, read plenty of articles, and I played the game. Its just not for me, Phil, and a sizeable amount of gamers out there. If you like the game thats great, have a blast. I rather play something else though.

Fallout 76 sounds great and innovative on paper, unfortunately it wasnt well executed by a world-class developer.

Edited by TubeLube
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TubeLube said:

You guys keep defending this game very hard. Listen, I did thorough research on this game. I wanted to like it, I was to the point of pretending to like it, but im only going to put up with so much. Thats great that you guys can excuse so many problems just because its a Bethesda Fallout game, but im not so easily starry eyed impressed by a huge empty map. 

I don't hate the game, its just as of today its not the Fallout game I wish to sink any time playing until some major problems are fixed. Maybe in a few months when everything is fixed and the game is in the bargain bin, I'll revisit it, but right now no.

Ive saw many videos, read plenty of articles, and I played the game. Its just not for me, Phil, and a sizeable amount of gamers out there. If you like the game thats great, have a blast. I rather play something else though.

Fallout 76 sounds great and innovative on paper, unfortunately it wasnt well executed by a world-class developer.

When did I defend the bugs or excuse all the problems? 

• Like 1

Going to jump back in and play some more now, the game is using the same engine as Fallout 4 so the combat really isn't that different. VATS was changed for online combat and now you get S.K.I.L.L cards when you level up, I wouldn't say it's bad but you definitely can't sit there and plan out your action when a monster is charging you. It's really fun so far though.

14 hours ago, TubeLube said:

You can't comment when you've literally admitted to only playing at a friends house for a few hours, blad. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:51 AM, ThatDogGuy said:

You can't comment when you've literally admitted to only playing at a friends house for a few hours, blad. 

Even if that statement was true, there are very few games out there that you cant tell if its good or not after playing 2-3 hours of it.

Edited by TubeLube
  • Like 1

The game is super good so you guys are just missing out by writing it off for being a multiplayer game.

Last night I built a base atop a mountain and raided a nearby camp that was full of super mutants. A boss type enemy showed up and was murdering me when three or four freaking vertibirds appeared in the sky and the brotherhood of steel starts gunning them all down. I'm about to jump in and play for the rest of the night.

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

The game is super good so you guys are just missing out by writing it off for being a multiplayer game.

Last night I built a base atop a mountain and raided a nearby camp that was full of super mutants. A boss type enemy showed up and was murdering me when three or four freaking vertibirds appeared in the sky and the brotherhood of steel starts gunning them all down. I'm about to jump in and play for the rest of the night.

Were the brotherhood of steel real players? You can join factions with each other?

5 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

Were the brotherhood of steel real players? You can join factions with each other?

Not other players. Some vertibirds just showed up and started attacking enemies as well as me when I shot at them, they were pretty high level so I ran.

I doubt there are Steel NPCs you can meet later, but I have no idea.

Spent most of last night messing around in the north side of the map where everything was heavily radiated. Lot of really scary mutants and creatures. I managed to kill a level 24 zealot with my level 8 character, it dropped a bunch of equipment that I can't use yet :D

Will say I ran into a bad quest last night, got it from the Mayor of Grafton. He sent me to repair this token dispenser and I can't interact with it at all...means the quest is bugged until they patch it.

41 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Not other players. Some vertibirds just showed up and started attacking enemies as well as me when I shot at them, they were pretty high level so I ran.

I doubt there are Steel NPCs you can meet later, but I have no idea.

You actually had me interested for a second. This is exactly what I mean. What you experienced was just soulless NCPs fighting each other. Without a story Fallout 76 is just meaningless combat. Now I'm defiantly skipping this game. There doesn't even seem to be a true survival aspect. I don't believe Fallout has a hunger system and it's not like you get hunted at night or something.

The only thing that can save this game is the player interaction but I'm still skeptical that player interaction is a good substitute for a story.

3 hours ago, Nich2440 said:

You actually had me interested for a second. This is exactly what I mean. What you experienced was just soulless NCPs fighting each other. Without a story Fallout 76 is just meaningless combat. Now I'm defiantly skipping this game. There doesn't even seem to be a true survival aspect. I don't believe Fallout has a hunger system and it's not like you get hunted at night or something.

The only thing that can save this game is the player interaction but I'm still skeptical that player interaction is a good substitute for a story.

There's story and NPCs, just no humans. Not sure if I said that already. If there are human NPCs I haven't found any. Most of the quests I've gotten were from holotapes and robots.

There very clearly is a survival system. You have to stay fed and hydrated or you take damage. You deal with radiation, diseases and weather as well. I found a shack and decided to sleep on some rug and got a disease. I also got dysentery from drinking some nasty water.

I've gotten various diseases from animals and ghouls as well lately. If you don't have medicine you gotta wait for it to wear off. I hear you get mutations, but I haven't had that happen to me yet.

Hey, it's your money. If you get the PS4 edition you can always team with me.