The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Further Elaboration, for Anyone Who Cares (Regarding Catfishing)

So first off, here's the Twitlonger I used to explain the situation: https://t.co/4faTQRpEQd

In addition, I just finished writing up an e-mail to a fan who had some valid questions and wanted more elaboration. I'll post it all here, and then you can all discuss, CIVILLY, if you'd like.

"Hi, Sir. I just wanted to ask a couple of question, (despite not being my business), it's about the troll situation.

I heard you on the Prestream and saw the emails and everything, and you're right, the guy was heavily implying to make it anonymously, so obviously trolls are blowing it out of proportion, as always. But there is a couple of things that are not very clear. (I'm not doubting you, you're not the kind of person who would lie to his fans, in fact you can take these questions into consideration if someone else brings it up).

I'd really appreciate if you answer them, because some aspects of it are mildy confusing, specially to your fans, including me:

1) If you had received the money, (9K), wouldn't it be kind of unfair to not say anything to your fans, just because we would still think that you need 16K, when you'd only need the remaining 7K?

2) The guy was obviously implying to not make it public, however he did actually encouraged you to "let people know that a fan was able to help you out!". When I read the sentence, (if he was actually a fan, and not a troll), he "encouraged" you to do so. So, despite your intent to protect him from being doxxed/harassed, why didn't you take into consideration his wishes of "telling that someone helped you out"?

I'd be grateful if you answer these 2 questions honestly, since it's the only thing that's a little bit confusing, even to someone who's trying to be as logical and open minded as possible."

My response:

The truth is, first off, I really didnt believe the guy anyway. I had zero expectations he was going to mail me a check or Western Union me any money. And I’d specifically asked him to not send it until 2019 to avoid creating an even further tax burden for me come April. Therefore, before we’d even gotten close to any kind of donation, I had no intention of actually saying anything about it. It seemed like the guy was almost giddy about wanting to tell people about it, but in reality, it would massively backfire. First, trolls would scour the internet to try and find out who this guy was - which might have led to him being doxxed, or even scared away from finally pulling the trigger on the donation to begin with for fear of doxxing. Second, it would lead to a massive cry that “Phil doesn’t need money anymore” from the trolls, despite the fact that 9k isn’t nearly enough to cover all of my tax issues for 2019. So it would hurt both the donor AND me to say anything about this prematurely.

I have three Christmas events planned coming up where I hope to raise funds. People thinking that $9k is coming in January might not give anything at all just because they think “that’s a lot!” And not seeing the big picture of what I’ll owe in total. And that would be disaster, since there was no guarantee the guy was legit and would have given anything. 

In reality, there was only one way to go about this: raise as much as I could on streams in December, then contact the guy in January to let him know how much I still needed for the taxes (which is all estimated by the way, and could be way off if I’ve made more income in 2018 than I did based on the tax projections based on 2017 income). If it was 9k or more, then great! If not, I would have been honest with him and only asked him to donate that much if he really wanted to, with the expectation that excess went to more bills or the cost of upcoming games, etc. THEN, once ALL that was done, we could have talked about how this would have been broken to my viewers as good news, and not to leave them hanging, thinking that I still had tons more money to raise for the taxes.

So in reality, the entire situation is bunk. This was not even the time to talk about telling the fans anything, because nothing was going to take place until January. In addition, his utmost concern from that email was his privacy, which is why he INSISTED on Western Union or something offline. And the only way to 100% ensure his privacy was to not talk about it, at all, for the time being.

Keep in mind, that was my one and only email to him. I fully expected him to respond with either “HA HA IM A TROLL SO FUCK YOUUU!” or to express his feelings about what I’d suggested, and give a response. There is no agreement there and nothing set in stone. If he were willing to take a risk and chance being doxxed, I would have gladly shared the info of a donation with my fans once it actually cleared. But we were FAR away from that point, which is what all of the complete morons spinning this into something negative seem to forget.

Hope that clears stuff up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Second, it would lead to a massive cry that “Phil doesn’t need money anymore” from the trolls, despite the fact that 9k isn’t nearly enough to cover all of my tax issues for 2019. So it would hurt both the donor AND me to say anything about this prematurely.

I have three Christmas events planned coming up where I hope to raise funds. People thinking that $9k is coming in January might not give anything at all just because they think “that’s a lot!” And not seeing the big picture of what I’ll owe in total. 

Thank you for your honesty. If you would of mentioned this fact from the start, this would of went way more smoother. It seemed like you was trying to avoid saying this when it was obvious it was what you were doing, just not admitting to it. You wouldnt want a big donation be said public so you could see more donation money later down the line. I get it.

Unfortunately you made this way worse than it had to be, Ive read 2 or 3 different stories from you and like a half a dozen inconsistencies.

I didnt get why you said it was all his idea to go behind the scenes and then after reading the email he actually recommended to go public as "Anonymous".

I still dont get the problem of saying the dollar amount and calling it a donation from "Anonymous" would put the real donator at risk of being doxxed when you've used this technique before with the Switch and TV donations and nothing has happened.

I dont know why you would still give a semi serious respone to a "potentional donator" when you had a suspicion of trolling because you just recieved 12 other emails that turned out to be trolls.

There are several questionable decisions you made that overall made this situation blow up when you could of just mentioned one small fact and none of this would of happened. I hope you find a way out if this rut DSP, a great first step would be being upfront and telling the whole truth the first time. Don't tell half truths to try to make yourself look better because there are 1,000s of people out there that are going to find the dirty side of the truth you're not telling and try their best to make you look like a complete liar.

Also a few tips DSP.

Any email that is talking about giving you a large amount of money and doesnt have an avatar, a face, or a real name or company attached? Its probably fake.

And if the off chance one of these "miracle donations" is real? As a man that is trying to get out of a major tax situation, its probably not a good idea for someone to Western Union you a large amount of money so you kick off 2019 with thousands of untraced dollars. Getting "Under the Table" money is not ever a good idea in the long run.

Cheers.

Phil - Stop taking the bait

This keeps on happening, to be honest it's getting irksome. Accept the proposal as is, don't elaborate and most certainly don't dictate terms and conditions.

Here's my reply... Notice I accept, and leave emotions and demands out of the reply. This is a business deal - The marketing worked, time to close the deal.  

Dear Sir 

Many thanks for your kind offer of support, whatever works best for you. 

With Thanks 

(Phil) 

Damage Control

Remove the TwitLonger  - It's disingenuous by design and a dire attempt to regain the narrative.  Best handled by saying nothing, doing nothing and more importantly adapting the new tactics. 

Standard response to a BAIT CHEER

'That was a private conversation, between myself and a fan,  I don't want or need to comment on this. However thanks for your support' - Use the the FACTS to your advantage.  

Focus 

Your cornerstone is marketing, selling your product and building up the desired emotions for the hard sell on Twitch and YouTube.

Real Talk 

Phil I'm not here for the  AAA Games,  however I'm here for the DSP persona, a man-child, who's obstinate, and a loveable blockhead who thrives on drama. I desperately want you to change and be truly successful.

Thanks to you I have developed friendships with some of the people in the community. Some friends have been banned because they openly question the narrative. Good people, who still attend your streams, sit in silence and still watch your content and talk to me private. 

Please allow discussion without consequence. If someone disagrees with the narrative, let them be. If some of my friends were out of DSP Prison, I would gladly gift them subscriptions, and that's profit for you.  

Sales

Offer more than you're currently giving,  Subscriber Specials for clothing,  Subscriber only streams and Subscriber Multiplayer Game Streams.  

'Tier 3 Subscribers this Month get 10% of my clothing as I want to give something back to you the fans'  

'Friday's we're going to have a Subscriber only chat, without your support this wouldn't be possible' 

'Every second Friday of the Month, I'm going to have a fun stream with all Tier 2 Subscribers - I'll pick a Multiplayer Game, It's my way of thanking you the subscribers for that additional support'  

Grazydream. 

• Upvote 4

U said that u are very transparent in ur business. I suggest doing just that with the 16k$ “fund raiser”. Theres not even any documentation on how u get the number 16k and thats why alot of ppl are questioning this. 

As the person a couple spots above me said....”STOP TAKING THE BAIT”. You constantly lecture viewers about this...take you own advice.

There’s no reason to post a twitlonger/argue on Twitter/mention in the pre-stream/and come on here if none of this is true. It looks so over the top defensive. 

And for gods sake...if you’ve received a dozen emails about financial help...again as the guy above said...simply send a generic response. 

2 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

U said that u are very transparent in ur business. I suggest doing just that with the 16k$ “fund raiser”. Theres not even any documentation on how u get the number 16k and thats why alot of ppl are questioning this. 

I agree. In my opinion I think its a long shot, maybe even a Moonshot's chance DSP will get that $16,000. He would have to have the success of August when Tut was here and the success of last January with the 1st Tax fundraiser consecutively each month until April. Even with Christmas I dont think this month is going to be that successful, let alone the low ad revenue months of January, February, and March.

Only way I could see any shot of it is being more transparent about his tax situation, and I don't mean with just saying more details. Documents from last tax situation which he says it helped get his current projection might give the fans a bit more morale to donate.

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Raise as much as I could on streams in December, then contact the guy in January to let him know how much I still needed for the taxes (which is all estimated by the way, and could be way off if I’ve made more income in 2018 than I did based on the tax projections based on 2017 income)

Edited by DotTraverse

Yeah this seems really shady. Sort of turned off wanting to help out the cause with stuff like this. I can live with patreon money that was meant for specific equipment or Project 7 reboot going elsewhere even if that was a red flag but this is dishonest and borderline disrespectful to the audiences attention and intelligence to do this. 

Just sucks. Really feel that you have let your need for this 16K cloud better judgment. Whether through this or the response that ALL patron didn't want Stardew Valley and or Ruiner as if to make light of their vote or pledge to favor twitch streamers, I am sort of turned off from supporting Dsp. 

Absolutely unacceptable and this hurts the viewer trust that you've made a point of trying to earn with how open you are to talk about a lot of things. Really letdown by this Phil. Dont think I can sub to your twitch after something like this. And I am a near full year supporter of yours on Twitch. 

Edited by Blackspawn89
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

This really has been an eventful week for DSP, the Ninja shit and now this.

DSP isn't allergic to the drama, he's addicted to it. Whether it's his own doing or someone elses, one thing is for sure it's never a dull moment with Phillip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Enough negativity here, just STOP.

He never believed it was a real offer in the first place. Who's gonna donate 9k to a streamer? Lol

But anyway. I really overspent on Black Friday so when I said I was going to chip in and help and be a Patreon, probably won't be until 2019 now. December is gonna bleed me dry too.

You have a nasty habit of falling prey to the Streisand Effect, Phil. You want as little attention on this as possible yet you make a twitlonger, go on a rant on stream, and make this thread. It would've been better to just deny it once then let it go if you didn't want anyone talking about it.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Enough negativity here, just STOP.

He never believed it was a real offer in the first place. Who's gonna donate 9k to a streamer? Lol

But anyway. I really overspent on Black Friday so when I said I was going to chip in and help and be a Patreon, probably won't be until 2019 now. December is gonna bleed me dry too.

I'm tired of the shenanigans though. It is always something. Like, I have one twitch prime sub for the longest time and have given it to Dsp for all the laughs over the yeara, even if they were unintentional. I get one of those subs a month and shit like this makes me want to give it to someone else. Phil puts out a video pleading for support through these times and then decides to conduct this behind everyone's back. Howard was right in saying Phils worst enemy is his inability to do damage control because it boggles my mind how it got this far. 

I've given my hard earned money to Phil but it's drama after drama and even when you try not to get involved in this, Phil mentions this during his presteeams. There is always drama associated with everything Phil does and eventually you have to call it like it is and say that is is caused by Phil himself for much if not most of it. 

And sometimes even his main video game streams where it is unavoidable to hear about this. Phil had told us all this was the best year for him from a mood standpoint but I fail to see that. Every time it is something new and it is insulting my intelligence and want to support him when shit like this comes out in the open.

It is always everyone's fault, what happened to being greatful for what you already have? 

Edited by Blackspawn89
  • Like 3

@Phil

How could they 'scour the internet to try and find out who this guy was'? If it's an anonymous donation or transfer, no one should be able to trace the guy unless they completely hack your or his account or something. There's no way Internet trolls would have been able to doxx the guy. And if they could, they would be able to doxx your Twitch/Patreon tips donors as well.

Edited by MoraMoria

7 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

@Phil

How could they 'scour the internet to try and find out who this guy was'? If it's an anonymous donation or transfer, no one should be able to trace the guy unless they completely hack your or his account or something. There's no way Internet trolls would have been able to doxx the guy. And if they could, they would be able to doxx your Twitch/Patreon tips donors as well.

Good question, but they definitely would. The fact of the matter is, if the person wants to 100% protect their identity, then the best way to do that would be to NOT tell anyone there was a donation in the first place. Because making that fact public WOULD set off the army of lifeless do-nothings whose only use of time is trying to find out shit like that. 

Case in point: today, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my accounts was attempted to be hacked into today, while I was off from streaming. Every email address, YouTube, Twitter, Twitch and the like. Luckily I have 2-and 3-step verification on all of them. But what's to say something insanely dumb doesn't happen (like a 15-year-old forum getting hacked and a password I'd had on older accounts being linked, per se) and somehow that led to them getting into my stuff? Then the FIRST thing they'd do, is look for the guy who donated $9k to go after him.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Good question, but they definitely would. The fact of the matter is, if the person wants to 100% protect their identity, then the best way to do that would be to NOT tell anyone there was a donation in the first place. Because making that fact public WOULD set off the army of lifeless do-nothings whose only use of time is trying to find out shit like that. 

Case in point: today, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my accounts was attempted to be hacked into today, while I was off from streaming. Every email address, YouTube, Twitter, Twitch and the like. Luckily I have 2-and 3-step verification on all of them. But what's to say something insanely dumb doesn't happen (like a 15-year-old forum getting hacked and a password I'd had on older accounts being linked, per se) and somehow that led to them getting into my stuff? Then the FIRST thing they'd do, is look for the guy who donated $9k to go after him.

Because you have used this technique before and nothing has happened like when you announced you received a Switch, PS4 Pro, and 4K TV. You think if the trolls had that much power those people who have donated wouldn't of been exposed already? You're GMail (which im sure is connected to your Youtube/Google account) has never been hacked and never will because its greatly secured. Thats the only way this fictional person would be outted. Even so, if you're that worried about getting hacked, all you have to do is delete the email and no-one would know.

29 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

No idea why you guys are getting all your panties in a twist about this one. Talk about taking the bait. 

Talk about adding nothing to the conversation, why did you even post anything?

1 hour ago, DotTraverse said:

Because you have used this technique before and nothing has happened like when you announced you received a Switch, PS4 Pro, and 4K TV. You think if the trolls had that much power those people who have donated wouldn't of been exposed already? You're GMail (which im sure is connected to your Youtube/Google account) has never been hacked and never will because its greatly secured. Thats the only way this fictional person would be outted. Even so, if you're that worried about getting hacked, all you have to do is delete the email and no-one would know.

Talk about adding nothing to the conversation, why did you even post anything?

It's so simple but needs pointing out. Phil's told you he didn't believe it was a real offer. 'nuff said! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

It's so simple but needs pointing out. Phil's told you he didn't believe it was a real offer. 'nuff said! 

Super Edit: I was just informed that you and another guy Amityville just come here to defend Phil, bait people to getting banned for your own emusment, and are a waste of time talking too. Looking at both your post histories that seems to be somewhat true, especially with Amityville. So nevermind.

Edited by DotTraverse
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DotTraverse said:

Super Edit: I was just informed that you and another guy Amityville just come here to defend Phil, bait people to getting banned for your own emusment, and are a waste of time talking too. Looking at both your post histories that seems to be somewhat true, especially with Amityville. So nevermind.

I believe you're getting mixed up with Nich.

3 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

I believe you're getting mixed up with Nich.

2 hours ago, Amityville said:

Yeah thats sounds like someone else. Not me, no.

And when was the last time either of you had anything to say about Phil that wasn't praise or defending him against something?

Now that you've explained it all in detail I hope that everyone else will understand what happened. Especially since you have the proof of the other emails. I'm happy you were open and honest with the community with this situation. Everything with this is out in the open now and we can see the truth because you showed us. Meanwhile these detractors hide away. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Phil said:

You say they "definitely" would, but how in the world are they going to find someone's info if you just say "A fan who wishes to remain anonymous has made a large donation which is going towards my taxes"?  Getting personal information on someone because their Twitch or Twitter handle is known is one thing, but finding out who sent an anon donation via an unspecified, secure channel is a whole other affair. 

OK, they could hack you. Sure, that's possible. However, if they did that, lots of people would be exposed as they'd most likely be able to get access to your PayPal, Patreon, etc. Also, you could just delete the emails from whoever did the exchange. The only 100% guaranteed way to avoid getting Dox'd would be to not donate the money at all.

I've read both the emails and honestly the worst part isn't your response where you state "I'd like to keep this 100% behind the scenes." While it is suspect, even within the context of both emails, the worst part is how you've tried to twist the situation. You act like any honest person who read both emails would OBVIOUSLY see it's totally out of context and painted anyone who viewed it otherwise as a troll or idiot.  Context matters, but it absolutely would not be unusual or a stretch to read both of those emails and take away that you wanted to keep this a secret for your own benefit. As a matter of fact, in your response email you state you want to keep it private because it would make YOUR life hell. The author said he wanted to stay anonymous; your email indicated you wanted to keep the entire transaction secret. Do you see the significant difference here?

Secondly, if you think that it's so obvious that it's taken out of context, why would you not post both of the unedited emails? Saying that the context would prove you innocent carries no weight if you won't follow it up with the full context.

There's more but you get the gist. I get that often people will take things out of context and look for even the slightest thing to make you look bad. However, you need to check your tendency to take these situations and twist them to make yourself look good (or at least less bad, like the shill incident) and paint everyone who dares to disagree with what you say as a detractor and/or an idiot.  What the person who wrote the email did was shitty but don't make the situation worse by not being fully honest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

Now that you've explained it all in detail I hope that everyone else will understand what happened. Especially since you have the proof of the other emails. I'm happy you were open and honest with the community with this situation. Everything with this is out in the open now and we can see the truth because you showed us. Meanwhile these detractors hide away. Sad.

I suspect this is a troll account baiting you into actually providing proof of other emails, which he’s not entitled to do nor does it actually matter. 

The point stands clear, Phil doesn’t owe anyone anything. If you show up and actually want to have a good time you show your support and if not then that’s fine. Whether or not Phil discloses any of his income is no one’s business but his own. Phil is NOT forcing you to donate. If he says he needs $16,000, and he has $30,000 already, that doesn’t change what you would have wanted to donate for in the first place. This is common sense. If he ends up exceeding his goal then that’s wonderful, and your support is going to be appreciated just the same. 

What we we are witnessing right now is a guy who has dedicated 10 years of his life to something he is passionate about, and take it or leave it, needs your support now more than ever. 

If you dont think Phil deserves it, then honestly don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Detractors have gotten him to this point and they will continue to bring him down. 

Edited by Foamprof5k
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2