The King of Hate Forums
HermanoCarl

Ideas for the Marathon

The purpose of this thread is to submit ideas for the upcoming next marathon.

As Phil said on his Twitter account, it will last at least for 16 hours, so there is a lot of potential for trying new things, like finishing an entire game in one go, playing themed games, (like retro style, action, platformers, and so on.), covering ones that he would normally not play and make a series out of it, for various reasons, but that would make sense in a marathon...

I'm personally inclined to the idea of something he mentioned, which is having like a "challenge" mode marathon, at least for some games. He would try to beat certain parts of the game in hard mode, for example, or in the least amount of time or the like. Because of this, three of my suggestions would be 'Cursed Castilla', (he did not played this, I think), 'Ninja Gaiden', (perfect for a challenge), and 'Furi'. I believe this format would be appropriate, since it's something new, but this is just my opinion, so feel free to post your own suggestions.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting the thread! Excited to see people's suggestions! NOTE: My idea was a platforming marathon where I'd have to beat Mario or Sonic games with a certain number of lives in a certain amount of time, and trying to hit certain checkpoints in the games in a certain amount of time as well.

• Like 1

Since you been using your pc for final fantasy, why not download an emulator and a good old Pokémon game for a Nuzlocke challenge 

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge.   

Plus because of the multiple Pokémon games out there , you can play one after another if you fail 

Edited by 1monkeyspy
Didn’t put the right link in

Dude has probably never played The Messenger, which was one of the top 2D platformer games of 2018.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:55 PM, Phil said:

Thanks for starting the thread! Excited to see people's suggestions! NOTE: My idea was a platforming marathon where I'd have to beat Mario or Sonic games with a certain number of lives in a certain amount of time, and trying to hit certain checkpoints in the games in a certain amount of time as well.

I'd add DKC to that too, criminal that you have not played any of the trilogy for your channel. 1st game is about 2 hours alone for a decent enough gamer. Easily worthy of a spot for a marathon. 

Earthworm Jim 1 is another quick platforming classic too. 

Edited by Blackspawn89

13 hours ago, Phil said:

2 hours for DKC 1? It's THAT SHORT of a game???

Donkey Kong Country is not a 2 hour game if it's your first time. HLTB has it as 4-6. That seems short to me but it's been 20 years since I played so my memory may be off. Great game though.

Regarding eating during a marathon, I either order delivery or make food ahead of time. Make a few sandwiches the night before. They'll be perfect since they are easy to eat, quick, and don't require cooking. You don't want anything that'll make your hands dirty like pizza to avoid getting the controller nasty. Also, TURN OFF mic and cam while eating; no one wants to see or hear that. Have a small text window on-screen indicating that you won't be commentating while you eat.

22 hours ago, Phil said:

2 hours for DKC 1? It's THAT SHORT of a game???

Played the game on the SNES classic last year albeit it was far from my first playthrough. Took me a smudge over two hours to finish the game. And that was with utilizing the bonus live levels and secret warps albeit not all of them. 

Should go no longer than 3 hours in all honesty unless you are either awful or fail to save and die and have to restart. For me IMO which is different for everyone there are maybe three or so levels that can give you a hard time. But you've done NES Mega Man marathons so DKC is nothing in comparison. 

Heck you played DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze so you know the engine for Donkey Kong and Diddy is actually quicker of the two and I like Diddy more. 

Only way it gets to 4 hours is if you 100% percent it but that requires you to find all the bonus levels which some are very cryptic in location. Not necessary for a playthrough. 

DKC1 unlike 2 and 3 has no secret levels otherwise known as Lost World levels so its pretty straightforward. Perfect game for a marathon. 

Edited by Blackspawn89

I've always wished you went and replayed the earlier Assassin's Creed games. Your AC2 playthrough was my favorite for almost 8 years. (Beat out only by Fallout 4).

Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 would be fun to watch, and if they're too short you could also smash through AC: brotherhood and AC: Revelations.

Why is everyone suggesting short games? How about a start for a full playthrough such as mass effect 2? Or maybe a speedrun of RE2?

The next marathon is supposed to be a chill one, right? Where @Phil wants to play slow games he already played, for maximum interactions.

Theoretically playing MGS3 could work. (or 1,2, but 3 is the best one;  5 is too easy and repetitive and it's mostly walking :dry:)

But it would require for Phil to relax and to not give a fuck about progressing or failing, this would be the hardest part. :sad: He could go for a 100% non lethal, 100% stealth run. :excl: (he can skip cutscenes, watching them isn't the point here) He could just try to get good at the game, to learn where the enemies are, how the game mechanics work, how to move, how to use items properly, how to CQC properly, explore the maps fully for items... Don't stress about failing, if you get spotted or die just restart and try to do it better. Having a look at a speedrun would be helpful. And chat can also help, but I wouldn't bet on that.

If you try you can play even action games in a chill way and have lots of time for interactions. :happy: And the plus side is playing more interesting games attracts more people, people have more fun watching it and they might tip more. :wink: Wasn't the last indie marathon not very successful, the games weren't so good.

Marathons where Phil just tries to get better at games (he had problems with), without stressing about progressing and finishing the game, might be interesting. :cool:

e4eb0d75b99c3b8d400e0bfd86187715--v-games-arcade-games.jpg

Edited by dsfan324

So the games for the marathon are Street Fighter, Modern Warfare, Donkey Kong, Mario RPG?

Doesn't seem so great for a big special fund raising marathon. I mean for how much @Phil stresses this to be the big, most important, event. 

I would suggest games like: LOL, Atlas, Warframe, Runescape, Sekiro, Siege, WOW, Jackbox, Satisfactory, Valkyria Chronicles, Anthem, Besiege, Robocraft, World of Tanks, CSGO...

Some stuff people asked for in the past, stuff that you won't touch but people want to see.

Or full on coop games with the viewers.

Or popular free to play online games.

...something new, interesting, that would make the event feel really special.

Or a speedrunning event, now this would be something truly special. 

Edited by dsfan324