The King of Hate Forums
dsfan324

What can Phil do to improve as a streamer...?

My biggest complaint about @Phil as a streamer is, that he doesn't play with the games. I mean: He uses one weapon as long as possible. Doesn't use most of the game's items, weapons, techniques. Doesn't experiment with anything, doesn't test items and weapons. If he finally tries to test out an item, he does it wrong, he concludes the item doesn't work and never uses it again. Doesn't try different approaches: if he sees he could beat a boss with a weapon he just picked, he will continue to fight the boss 10 times over with the same weapon and tactic, until he succeeds. Doesn't check controls, skips tutorials. Tries to brute force his way just to get to the next story cutscene/mission and just get to the end.

Playing the games from start to finish the same one way (as long it works to just get to the next part, even if it takes too long or multiple tries), makes the playthroughs kinda boring. Yes, it can be funny when Phil fails, but when he does the same exact thing 10 times over, it gets boring.

Some quick examples:

• MGS series: doesn't use stun grenades or the box and other stuff; fights bosses with the same bad approach
  • DS series: doesn't use fire bombs, pine resin; still didn't learn how to parry; fights bosses with the same bad approach
  • Borderlands: keeps sniping the whole game (because it's easy and he didn't try learning how to fight enemies head on), he isn't sniper class, so it takes forever for him to kill enemies
  • Apex: didn't try to test out abilities unless he meets an enemy, then he forgets about the abilities and only shoots his gun
  • Subnautica: tries to rush the game, doesn't try to understand the game by himself and is completely dependent on what chat tells him
  • Black Mesa: doesn't use grenades on the turrets, uses the hive-hand (wrong) when it's obviously too weak

This behavior is the reason why TIHYDPs exist.

Edited by dsfan324
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The example games you used are really old, he played Borderlands and MGS like ten years ago? Why bring these up?

Subnautica doesn't explain itself very well, so I kinda get it. 

Apex, no interest so can't comment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatDogGuy said:

The example games you used are really old, he played Borderlands and MGS like ten years ago? Why bring these up?

Did you seriously think I mean MGS1 and DS1 only, here, I added "series" to it.

Edited by dsfan324

He should promote the forums more to get more fans posting. Also he should big up posters like me who are contributing great content regularly.

9 hours ago, Amityville said:

He should promote the forums more to get more fans posting. Also he should big up posters like me who are contributing great content regularly.

I agree, he should give a shoutout to Amity.

• Like 1

DSP should collaborate with other streamers. That's an opportunity for DSP to introduce himself to a new audience and maybe gain more subs + followers

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, dang said:

DSP should collaborate with other streamers. That's an opportunity for DSP to introduce himself to a new audience and maybe gain more subs + followers

I think this was brought up in numerous occasions, and the problem is that normally, other 'streamers' do not want to collaborate with Phil, because they know about the negativity of some of the detractors/trolls, and do not want to take the risk and be a collateral target. It's a shame, really, would be cool to see some collaboration.

• Upvote 1

MGS, borderlands and black mesa? Holy shit are those examples old. Really not selling your point here.

You say that we're helping him too much in Subnautica but in reality he does his own stuff most of the time, we just help him out with finding materials and blueprints. I tell him to explore the ocean more but every stream is just "BUILD-BUILD-BUILD gotta rush to build the next thing to progress." Again, your example doesn't work.

I know that some gamers, wanted to see him battle online, against Maximillian Dood, in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Ultra SF2.

Edited by musicboy

5 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

I think this was brought up in numerous occasions, and the problem is that normally, other 'streamers' do not want to collaborate with Phil, because they know about the negativity of some of the detractors/trolls, and do not want to take the risk and be a collateral target. It's a shame, really, would be cool to see some collaboration.

I am a new viewer of DSP, so my knowledge of these detractors/trolls are limited, but I do want to add in feedback to what you said.

It doesn't hurt to try. Yeah they might harass the other streamer, but what can they do? Nothing really because they'll eventually go away at some point. What matters is getting out his name, expanding himself to a newer audience, and what DSP said: 'Put out quality gameplay. No bullshit'

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

MGS, borderlands and black mesa? Holy shit are those examples old. Really not selling your point here.

Doesn't matter how old it is, the points still stand.

1 hour ago, dsfan324 said:

Doesn't matter how old it is, the points still stand.

Using game playthroughs from 2012 that he didn't even stream as examples makes it seem like you're trying too hard to make a point.

5 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Using game playthroughs from 2012 that he didn't even stream as examples makes it seem like you're trying too hard to make a point.

Holly shit, facepalm.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:42 AM, dsfan324 said:

Holly shit, facepalm.

He's right, though. 

On 3/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, TrashCanJuice said:

He could take a break so he can enjoy the games he plays again because its clear as day he's been burned out of gaming for a very, very long time.

What makes you say that? Can you give some examples?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThatDogGuy said:

What makes you say that? Can you give some examples?

In the face of any challenge of any game that isn't easy to get past he trashes the game and everyone involved. Thats not having fun. That sounds like doing a chore.