The King of Hate Forums
dsfan324

What can Phil do to improve as a streamer...?

When playing Sekiro he said something like that he doesn't want to use other stuff besides the sword that he wants to beat the game only with the sword. Why does he keep doing this in games? Why does he keep handicapping himself? Not using game mechanics makes him look like he sucks at games and makes the playthroughs stale and boring.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:17 AM, dsfan324 said:

When playing Sekiro he said something like that he doesn't want to use other stuff besides the sword that he wants to beat the game only with the sword. Why does he keep doing this in games? Why does he keep handicapping himself? Not using game mechanics makes him look like he sucks at games and makes the playthroughs stale and boring.

Or he wants a unique playthrough that no one else is doing. If you think he sucks at fighting games after SF2 then you don't know much.

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

Or he wants a unique playthrough that no one else is doing.

A boring one?

1 hour ago, Amityville said:

If you think he sucks at fighting games after SF2 then you don't know much.

WTF does this even mean? No one even mentioned fighting games.

4 hours ago, Amityville said:

Or he wants a unique playthrough that no one else is doing.

Nah, that's just how Phil plays games. He learns one thing and sticks with that all the way through, brute forcing it if he has to. He started with the sword so it's what he's comfortable with. That's why he won't use anything else.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, ThatDogGuy said:

Can't really call anyone a dummy when it was you who posted the 2010 examples. :laugh:

Sekiro isn't a great game and is just annoying anyway. 

I gave you a thumbs up and took it away by the second sentence. Must be a record.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, MoraMoria said:

I see, so in order for my comment to make sense, I would need to modify: "the problem is", to: "as far as I'm concerned, the problem seems to be", which makes my statement true, at the time it was originally posted.

Why you bothering, man? Arguing with new account users who have done nothing but argue with people since creating their account.

Can we just agree to ignore all the shit heads?

7 hours ago, dsfan324 said:

A boring one?

WTF does this even mean? No one even mentioned fighting games.

You made a statement he sucks at games. Did you forget already?

6 hours ago, Nariaki said:

Nah, that's just how Phil plays games. He learns one thing and sticks with that all the way through, brute forcing it if he has to. He started with the sword so it's what he's comfortable with. That's why he won't use anything else.

I know. But this time he clearly mentions that his intention is only using the sword. It sounds like he does this deliberately for a reason. I would like to know what's the reason?

2 hours ago, Amityville said:

You made a statement he sucks at games. Did you forget already?

I said it makes him look like he sucks at games.

BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD:

The best way to get the basic idea of how to improve as a streamer would be to:

1)Invest time in WATCHING other streamers.  Sorry, but Netflix/Hulu/DvDs need to take a back burner as post streaming hours would be better served watching other streamers, random streamers, Big and small.  How can one improve if they do not know what the baseline is?    

2) ...now this happens after 1), but, Watch Netflix/Hulu/Vudu. NOT the movies themselves, but WHAT is Trending.  Monitor Social Media and be AWARE of what is happening in the INDUSTRY as well as the WORLD at Large.  Heck! as a 'Variety Streamer', one should know about ALL the games AAA as well as Indie that are soon to be released as well as in the works.  It is the Streamer who should inform and entertain his audience. There are dime a dozen streamers and each and every one of them has Raw, Unedited Gameplay because that IS that streaming IS!  Streaming is In Real Time.  There is No editing.  The streamer needs to either WOW with their prowess , entertain with their wit, be a source of information or a compilation or the three.  Above all, the streamer MUST understand and play to their audience.  A streamer can be the best gamer, who is 24/7 entertaining and the most informed about everything under the Sun, BUT if hey do not Understand their audience they will never get anywhere.    

On 4/7/2019 at 11:17 AM, dsfan324 said:

Because of the "Sekiro" streams, I decided to watch some of his "Nioh" playthroughs, that I missed at the time. I only watched some of the first videos, and I wish he would've picked the 'kusarigama', since it was a novelty, but he didn't want it. I also wanted to see some of the less popular/unconventional 'spirit animals', but so far he left those aside. And with the "Dark Souls" games, I would've liked to see some use of the whips and scythes, but I don't think he used them for very long, if he did at all.

He obviously can do what he wants, since it's his playthrough, but for me personally, if I can choose things on a game, I'll probably go with the oddity, even if it's a bit less efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlj4IXg8l0c&list=PL_QtSMEGimbwgwTPVWoYZQ1YUIrufoRE3 (mostly pt.3,4,6,7,8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOgeDV5fBKc (0:30-13:30)

The Crash Team Racing playthrough sums up everything Phil is doing wrong.

• completely ignores tutorial tips, only waits for chat to tell him what to do - the tutorial (the mask) tells you everything you need to know to win and you can also look up the tips in the [select] menu, still claims there's no tutorial
  • is fixated only on using one game mechanic (power sliding) - he think it's about skill and that somehow using the main game mechanic (items) is cheating, it's like he doesn't understand what game he's playing
  • ignores all the other important game mechanics - actively misses fruits and boost pads just to continue sliding when these two are much more important, ignores items
  • blames the game for his own faults - hitting items, obstacles and walls in plain sight then claiming there was nothing he could see, driving straight into an obstacle and claiming nothing he could do
  • not having any strategy, just trying to brute force his way with using one mechanic that's only about quick button presses
  • still proceeds to call the game a piece of shit and the fans idiots even though he obviously plays the game wrong and most of the failures are his own fault and basically acts how it's the game's fault that it doesn't let him brute force through it easily
  • acts like the game should just present him a win, every time something random happens acts like the game is doing it on purpose to him, acts surprised that random things happen in a game where the major mechanic is using random items

Then he needs like 30 tries for later tracks and bosses while it took me around 5 tries with not even using power sliding, just by using boost pads, fruits, items and using the items well.

With this behavior how can he even wonder that TIHYDPs exist? No wonder that people who actually played the games get pissed by this behavior. At least don't call the game shit and everyone who likes it an idiot or claim it's the game's fault when you blatantly play it wrong and ignore many important game mechanics and tips.

Edited by dsfan324
  • Upvote 1

@dsfan324

You could've embedded the videos.

I think one of the main issues of this game is that because of the 'RNG', (sometimes is impossible to avoid getting hit by a missile, or things like that), it makes it as if even while being a great player, you could lose because of 'bad luck'. I believe this is part of Phil's criticism for the game.

2 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

I think one of the main issues of this game is that because of the 'RNG', (sometimes is impossible to avoid getting hit by a missile, or things like that), it makes it as if even while being a great player, you could lose because of 'bad luck'.

That's exactly the point of these games. That's like complaining you have to do stealth in MGS or use a gun in COD.

11 minutes ago, dsfan324 said:

That's exactly the point of these games.

I'd think Phil would disagree with that, since he complained that the 'luck' factor plays a major role in it, or more than it should, (after being nuked by several missiles). I personally don't know if that's the point of the game, but being unable to do anything to avoid a projectile that you know is going to hit you, makes it feel as if you're not in control, regardless of your skill as a player.

I also read some of the negative remarks about this game, and I found some people complaining about the 'handicap' when playing against the 'AI'. And even though this has no significant statistic value, I decided to screencap this comment because of the terms used. Thought it was funny.

CTR.png

6 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

but being unable to do anything to avoid a projectile that you know is going to hit you

But you can avoid it in many ways. That's the reason you get an indicator that a missile is targeting you.

6 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

I'd think Phil would disagree with that,

Of course he would, that's a given.

7 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

since he complained that the 'luck' factor plays a major role in it, or more than it should

That's the whole point of these games. You never played a board game? Most of them use dice and their whole concept is based on luck.

7 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

handicap

When the AI is faster than you then you should logically make use of the items as much as possible instead of just trying to be fast and then cry the game is shit because you don't want to play by its rules and use its mechanics. You are supposed to learn the game and not cry about unfair cheating AI because it doesn't let you bruteforce through the game. The AI is supposed to be challenging. But in reality the AI is much easier than real players. It's faster but it also doesn't use items very often, unlike real players would. The AI doesn't even use a bunch of items, like the 3 types of shields, time stop, warp orb, 3x missiles. Maybe if Phil played the multiplayer first then he wouldn't cry about the AI being unfair.

If ur drifting and hit a wall, then ur doing it wrong.

holding on to defensive items when ur top 3, using it when needed.

actively get items

lay traps on speed boosts, ramps, behind item boxes or bottlenecks.

Have you tried any of these suggestions yet? I played and beat it in early teens. These are just common tactics that kids can figure out. Im sure theres plenty more.

Edited by Cappuccino

Besides him playing CTR like shit and blaming the game for all of his own failures and mistakes he also expects that medium/normal difficulty should actually be easy and should let you steamroll through the game. Probably from all the walking simulators and cinematic games he plays where even hard is easy.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, dsfan324 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlj4IXg8l0c&list=PL_QtSMEGimbwgwTPVWoYZQ1YUIrufoRE3 (mostly pt.3,4,6,7,8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOgeDV5fBKc (0:30-13:30)

The Crash Team Racing playthrough sums up everything Phil is doing wrong.

• completely ignores tutorial tips, only waits for chat to tell him what to do - the tutorial (the mask) tells you everything you need to know to win and you can also look up the tips in the [select] menu, still claims there's no tutorial
  • is fixated only on using one game mechanic (power sliding) - he think it's about skill and that somehow using the main game mechanic (items) is cheating, it's like he doesn't understand what game he's playing
  • ignores all the other important game mechanics - actively misses fruits and boost pads just to continue sliding when these two are much more important, ignores items
  • blames the game for his own faults - hitting items, obstacles and walls in plain sight then claiming there was nothing he could see, driving straight into an obstacle and claiming nothing he could do
  • not having any strategy, just trying to brute force his way with using one mechanic that's only about quick button presses
  • still proceeds to call the game a piece of shit and the fans idiots even though he obviously plays the game wrong and most of the failures are his own fault and basically acts how it's the game's fault that it doesn't let him brute force through it easily
  • acts like the game should just present him a win, every time something random happens acts like the game is doing it on purpose to him, acts surprised that random things happen in a game where the major mechanic is using random items

Then he needs like 30 tries for later tracks and bosses while it took me around 5 tries with not even using power sliding, just by using boost pads, fruits, items and using the items well.

With this behavior how can he even wonder that TIHYDPs exist? No wonder that people who actually played the games get pissed by this behavior. At least don't call the game shit and everyone who likes it an idiot or claim it's the game's fault when you blatantly play it wrong and ignore many important game mechanics and tips.

1) You are right, he should look at the tutorials in general

2 and 3 and 5) Fair enough

As for the other points, there is nothing "wrong" about hating a piece of software or just saying things about the fans. The fact that people get so sensitive because of his comments on a software and proceed to hate him and make montages prove that this "criticism" is not valid. Yes, Phil did "hate on" games that I liked so I tried to advise him in terms of mechanics or any misunderstandings he has...if he proceeds on the hate then I just move on and laugh

On 3/17/2019 at 2:42 AM, dang said:

I am a new viewer of DSP, so my knowledge of these detractors/trolls are limited, but I do want to add in feedback to what you said.

It doesn't hurt to try. Yeah they might harass the other streamer, but what can they do? Nothing really because they'll eventually go away at some point. What matters is getting out his name, expanding himself to a newer audience, and what DSP said: 'Put out quality gameplay. No bullshit'

while its true, most streamers do tend to keep phil at arms length. and it isnt like there hasnt been talk about it or even events set up. but phil always seems to back out and give an excuse as to why he cant make it or wont be doing such a event/collaboration. and the excuse usually falls on the collaborator who was the one who invited phil to do something with him???? but ive known phil for lying about many things, that i cant even keep track of anymore. i would rather pick up dog shit with my bare hand than trust a thing he says 

Since blind playthroughs are a thing of the past Phil could now improve at hard games by looking up tutorials and learn how to properly play the games.

Everyone wants to see him play hard games but he's too afraid of failing.

He plays the Souls games in the worst ways possible. And his excuses are just unreal, it's always the game's fault not his.

He always says that people want to see him suffer and that's why he refuses to play hard games. But he suffers because of his own faults because he refuses to learn how to play the games well.

Learn how to be good and you don't need to suffer. Then you can have fun at hard games.

3 hours ago, babymangming456 said:

Since blind playthroughs are a thing of the past Phil could now improve at hard games by looking up tutorials and learn how to properly play the games.

Everyone wants to see him play hard games but he's too afraid of failing.

He plays the Souls games in the worst ways possible. And his excuses are just unreal, it's always the game's fault not his.

He always says that people want to see him suffer and that's why he refuses to play hard games. But he suffers because of his own faults because he refuses to learn how to play the games well.

Learn how to be good and you don't need to suffer. Then you can have fun at hard games.

You, my friend, don't get it.  Portraying himself as 'The inept bumbler who goes off on rants' is his shtick.  It has been since the beginning.  He doesn't hide it.  He openly admits it on stream and in Tweets.  He has said that he patterned this persona after that of the AVGN, who he was a fan of.  "Looking up tutorials and learn[ing] how to properly play the game" is counter productive to his business model of encouraging backseat gamers 'to help him' via their tips and cheers.  The other part of his persona that he has long employed to garner views on YouTube, now is directed toward obtaining followers on Twitch who will in turn hopefully become subscribers because of his rants and 'excuses'.  It's all part of the show.  There are streamers who genuinely strive to play games to the best of their ability and do not allow handholding/backseat gaming in their chats.  If that is what you're after, I suggest you watch their streams.        

• Like 1

I think Phil could improve if sometimes during a game, (Like GTA 4), would hurry up a bit. Last stream I watched he spent some time improving the "Social Links" with the characters by doing the most time consuming activities, and then he called them in the middle of the night just to annoy them & undo part of what he did by worsening said Link.

I also know he's now interactive, but the driving sometimes is very slow.

To put another example, on the "Super Mario 64" stream, he took a long time, (more than it should), to enter the castle and begin the levels.

I'm not sure how sometimes procrastinating would help him, since I don't think people tipped much during these instances.

Edited by MoraMoria