The King of Hate Forums
musicboy

Anyone here, a fan of Conan, Red Sonja, or any other fantasy barbarian hero/warrior, in comics or games?

So as a kid, I always found, that the old 80's Red Sonja comics, were kinda cool and interesting. Red Sonja on the whole, is a cool character. A warrior chick, who fights with a sword, that has a sister, who is almost the complete opposite of her. And her adventures, were always amazing and epic. Red Sonja gets a big A+ from me.:biggrin:

Groo, though a humourous comic book take, on the warrior hero, is another one I like alot. And I find his dog Rufferto, is an amazingly great sidekick.

The young barbarian warrior hero, from the Golden Axe games.

And the warrior hero dude, with the magic axe, from Guanlet Legends, on dreamcast and gamecube, is another one too.

Conan, not so much. I always kept far from Conan comics. The adults back then however, seemed to love that character. Probably because it was gory and violent, and the fact that Arnold, starred as Conan in the movies.

Kull the conqueror, his comic was interesting, but like Conan, I wasn't a fan of it.

So what about you guys?

Edited by musicboy

I was about to comment that at some point, I occasionally watched these kind of old 'TV series', that someone recorded on some 'CDs', and were laying around, but now I remember, it's not even about barbarians, it was the "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" series.

Hercules.jpg

Edited by MoraMoria

I am a fan of Groo.  I found both the art style and the writing to be lighthearted entertainment I could go to for a dependable lol.  A barbarian Shazam as to speak.  I would offer 'The Tick' as a relatively newer Superhero 'Groo' equivalent.  ElfQuest is an older, fantasy based comic I highly recommend ( though I'd be tempted to call it a precursor to the graphic novel based on it being quite a bit 'text heavy' for the day and it's detail oriented art style...with 'graphic novel book form' of coloured compilations of the original black and white serialized over sized comic editions available)     

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams

@ElectricSheepDreams  @MoraMoria 

Elfquest? Now that's an epic, old school fantasy, comicbook series. I haven't heard about that series, in a while. Also, I'm glad to see another Groo fan, besides myself.

Hercules? I remember that show, and one called Xena.

The Tick? I've heard about that superhero, but don't know much about it. His name sounds like a luchador. Interesting.

Edited by musicboy

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, musicboy said:

So as a kid, I always found, that the old 80's Red Sonja comics, were kinda cool and interesting. Red Sonja on the whole, is a cool character. A warrior chick, who fights with a sword, that has a sister, who is almost the complete opposite of her. And her adventures, were always amazing and epic. Red Sonja gets a big A+ from me.:biggrin:

Groo, though a humourous comic book take, on the warrior hero, is another one I like alot. And I find his dog Rufferto, is an amazingly great sidekick.

The young barbarian warrior hero, from the Golden Axe games.

And the warrior hero dude, with the magic axe, from Guanlet Legends, on dreamcast and gamecube, is another one too.

Conan, not so much. I always kept far from Conan comics. The adults back then however, seemed to love that character. Probably because it was gory and violent, and the fact that Arnold, starred as Conan in the movies.

Kull the conqueror, his comic was interesting, but like Conan, I wasn't a fan of it.

So what about you guys?

Red Sonja is a badass.  Marvel did a crossover between her and Spider-Man several years ago and TBH it was really good.

Conan IMO is a badass.  Loved the films with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  In May, he will be a part of Marvel's new Avengers team, the Savage Avengers along with Venom, Wolverine, Doctor Voodoo, Elektra, and Punisher.